• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

televator

picked up a few more 240p games for the BVM,

shoot one game (res2 blk label dual shock) smells like it came from a heavy smoker. anyone ever have this experience... recommendations to get rid of the smell?

i'm just airing out one page at a time of the instruction manual right now.

I just straight up wash cases in my dish sink. lol, you should try warm or hot water. You could even leave it soaking a while. That might help get the smell out. Afterwards dry it and shake out excess water real good. Some water likes to hang around in the seams where the clear plastic and and hard plastic join. Let it dry out completely over night.

The baking soda sounds like a good idea for the manual and exterior artwork. If the smell persists, you can toss in a clothes drying sheet inside the case. Some snuggles or bounce along with the artwork and manual. Leaving that in for a good month leaves a fresh smell in the case. A silica pack from a shoe box or pill bottle might help as well.

I've had some smelly cases before, but I usually get the smell out pretty well.

I just straight up wash cases in my dish sink. lol, you should try warm or hot water. You could even leave it soaking a while. That might help get the smell out. Afterwards dry it and shake out excess water real good. Some water likes to hang around in the seams where the clear plastic and and hard plastic join. Let it dry out completely over night.

The baking soda sounds like a good idea for the manual and exterior artwork. If the smell persists, you can toss in a clothes drying sheet inside the case. Some snuggles or bounce along with the artwork and manual. Leaving that in for a good month leaves a fresh smell in the case. A silica pack from a shoe box or pill bottle might help as well.

thanks televator for the tips and sharing your experiences getting out smells.

I don't have a NG, so I'm not familiar with hardware faults on it. I can't be much help at all. Have you ever blasted the cart slot with a compressor? People don't realize how nasty it can get even if they do clean the pins with alcohol. I've seen clumps of hair and dirt come out of cart slots that simply cleaning the pins won't address.

Yeah both cart connectors have been blasted multiple times with compressed air, and cleaned multiple times. I guess I'll order some deoxit next.

televator

Yeah both cart connectors have been blasted multiple times with compressed air, and cleaned multiple times. I guess I'll order some deoxit next.

I know it sounds like I'm peddling the stuff like a cure all, but tapping a silica pack in the case of the console should help keep the pins and other exposed metal contacts from oxidating. In the future.

Mega

Banned

I dont know much about this, but look up Neo Geo vertical lines and data lines. You might have bad traces or something of that nature that requires an actual hardware fix, not cleaning.

Khaz

I dont know much about this, but look up Neo Geo vertical lines and data lines. You might have bad traces or something of that nature that requires an actual hardware fix, not cleaning.

That was my thought as well, it's likely one of the solder point on the edge connector broke. You may want to reflow it.

D.Lo

That really looks like a picture processing unit problem honestly. Maybe the games that work don't use a certain method that the ones with issues do.

I would ask on the Neogeo forum.

televator

i wish i lived in arizona so i could buy televator's xm-29

lol, sorry about that. A Tucson resident has inquired about recently. I really hope I can get this thing out the door for someone who will use it. I've put exactly 0.00000000 hours of play on the set since being disappointed by geometry issues. I'm sure most CRT fetishists won't be bothered by it, but for me watching Sonic scroll like it's under water...
31a.gif

That really looks like a picture processing unit problem honestly. Maybe the games that work don't use a certain method that the ones with issues do.

I would ask on the Neogeo forum.

A more wretched hive of scum and villainy......

I don't think its a PPU issue because one of the games tested was my friends MVS version of the AES game I have.

lol, sorry about that. A Tucson resident has inquired about recently. I really hope I can get this thing out the door for someone who will use it. I've put exactly 0.00000000 hours of play on the set since being disappointed by geometry issues. I'm sure most CRT fetishists won't be bothered by it, but for me watching Sonic scroll like it's under water...
31a.gif

huh, that's a very unfortunate flaw

Well I posted on Neo-Geo.com's forums and got nothing from them so far. On a good note, my friend hooked me up with Ys 7 limited edition and Legend of Oasis for free, and I got Legend of Xanadu for about 12 bucks shipped.

25232801489_19a35f4a23_h.jpg

*edit*

Holy shit, in deoxit I trust! After cleaning my MVS carts, and Phantom-1 converter I finally got some Deoxit gold and deoxited the shit out of my converter. Everything works perfectly now, no more white lines. This is a good day NeoGaf, share in my joy retro friends!

I'd second the unscented dryer sheets. Works wonders on getting smells out of manuals and inserts. I just put them in a ziplock bag with a sheet for a day and it has always worked wonders.

i didn't have dryer sheets but i found some of these packs in my house.

it's spill proof baking soda!

my smoke scent manuals and art work are zip locked for a few days. (crosses fingers)

Khaz

How many consoles do you wish to connect? I would suggest you to get a Scart switch, as Scart can carry Composite and it will allow you to switch to RGB gradually.

BTails

So, I just spent an hour trying to figure out what video game music I was humming at work, before it finally clicked: it was the Main Theme from Metroid 2. I haven't played it in 10 years, but coudl still hum that thing like nobody's business.

You guys ever have a random video game track pop into your head? One you can't figure out forever?

So, I just spent an hour trying to figure out what video game music I was humming at work, before it finally clicked: it was the Main Theme from Metroid 2. I haven't played it in 10 years, but coudl still hum that thing like nobody's business.

You guys ever have a random video game track pop into your head? One you can't figure out forever?

Yeah

the last time was the song of storms from Zelda which is funny because i don't particularly like that game and don't think i've played to that point in the game ever, its just something I hear incidentally

I got RGB cables for my Master System, but both of my MS' are jailbarsy as fucking hell. I've tried googling but I'm not getting any solid leads. Anyone know of a good tutorial on removing them?

I have a slightly water damaged prima shenmue guide that has an ungodly mildew smell. I got it for $2, and I've tried putting it in a zip lock bag with baking soda, and sticking it in the freezer but nothing works.

It's an awesome guide, very well regarded. But I can't have it in with other things because it spreads the mildew smell to them as well.

I have had it in the bottom of my freezer in a zip lock bag for a few months but I might just throw it out one of these days.

Been playing a lot of original Xbox lately. Almost finished the first splinter cell which I never played much back then. Awesome game. Xbox games are so cheap too. I got time splitters 2 for $4 and wreckless for $1 at a local shop.

i didn't have dryer sheets but i found some of these packs in my house.

it's spill proof baking soda!

my smoke scent manuals and art work are zip locked for a few days. (crosses fingers)

You may want to try to spread out the pages a bit with some cardboard and sprinkle some loose baking soda in the pages. It won't damage the pages as far as I know. You might get a good smell when it's closed but open the manual to read it and the smell returns.

You may want to try to spread out the pages a bit with some cardboard and sprinkle some loose baking soda in the pages. It won't damage the pages as far as I know. You might get a good smell when it's closed but open the manual to read it and the smell returns.

thanks for that, i need to get a bigger zip lock bag and open the pages up. i couldn't find another bag and was too lazy to go to the store to buy some baggies lol. i took a peek inside and still smelled a bit when opening the book. though the scent front and back CD art work and half pages of the booklet is all gone, a few of the back pages still had a small scent. i'll flipped the sides of the book and give it a week to check again.

I was just given a Turbografx 16! I have little to no knowledge on this system so I'm gonna need some help with what games to get. It came with Keith Courage In Alpha Zones.

Really excited to finally try one of these. Such a bizarre system in my eyes.

Where did you order it from? Because csync cables from retro_consoles_accessories aren't supposed to have jailbars.

That's exactly who I bought them from. I usually buy from retrogamingcables in the UK but I didn't want to wait the 2 weeks or so, so I thought I would give her a try. I'm getting wickedly bad Jail bars from both my MS' through them though. I also can't find anything in goggling on cleaning up jail bars on the MS.

It's easily some of the worst jail bars I've ever seen.

Timu

That's exactly who I bought them from. I usually buy from retrogamingcables in the UK but I didn't want to wait the 2 weeks or so, so I thought I would give her a try. I'm getting wickedly bad Jail bars from both my MS' through them though. I also can't find anything in goggling on cleaning up jail bars on the MS.

It's easily some of the worst jail bars I've ever seen.
Is this the cable?

Going by the description it says nothing about reducing jailbars to none like some of the others. I didn't know you had a framemeister! Sounds like you need the raw sync version instead of csync.

Csync is raw sync/pure sync.

It stands for composite sync, or the h and v sync composited into 1 line. Sync on composite is different than Csync.

Timu

Csync is raw sync/pure sync.

It stands for composite sync, or the h and v sync composited into 1 line. Sync on composite is different than Csync.
I just read on a forum that someone had the same issue and got the raw sync and it removed the jailbars, so that's why I assumed that.

televator

I have a slightly water damaged prima shenmue guide that has an ungodly mildew smell. I got it for $2, and I've tried putting it in a zip lock bag with baking soda, and sticking it in the freezer but nothing works.

It's an awesome guide, very well regarded. But I can't have it in with other things because it spreads the mildew smell to them as well.

I have had it in the bottom of my freezer in a zip lock bag for a few months but I might just throw it out one of these days.

Been playing a lot of original Xbox lately. Almost finished the first splinter cell which I never played much back then. Awesome game. Xbox games are so cheap too. I got time splitters 2 for $4 and wreckless for $1 at a local shop.

When paper work is that bad. My only thought at that point is to somehow "stream clean" each page.

I just read on a forum that someone had the same issue and got the raw sync and it removed the jailbars, so that's why I assumed that.

I found an RGB amp designed for the MS1, MS2, and Genesis 1 so I ordered that. Sounds like it should be the solution.

Khaz

Really? Where?=O

He probably got the French cable:
(eh, "adapteur")

I don't know what it does exactly, if it amplifies, dim or normalise the signal? The Megadrive 2 has its RGB too bright and has to be dimmed a bit, though the schematics are much simpler than that.
http://www.smspower.org/Development/AdapteurRVB
I saw people claiming that the Master System RGB out wasn't as good as the Megadrive one (slightly dimmer on their comparison picture), maybe that was because they didn't have this adapter? I doubt that the RGB-out is different between French and non-French models, so in theory everybody needs such a cable to get the better of their console? Or at least the most faithful experience.

Really? Where?=O

http://retrorgb.com/store.html

It was developed by ArcadeTV http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28736-RGB-Bypass-PCBs-for-MD1-MD2-SMS1-SMS2-NG-AES

He probably got the French cable:

(eh, "adapteur")

I don't know what it does exactly, if it amplifies, dim or normalise the signal? The Megadrive 2 has its RGB too bright and has to be dimmed a bit, though the schematics are much simpler than that.
http://www.smspower.org/Development/AdapteurRVB

I saw people claiming that the Master System RGB out wasn't as good as the Megadrive one (slightly dimmer on their comparison picture), maybe that was because they didn't have this adapter? I doubt that the RGB-out is different between French and non-French models, so in theory everybody needs such a cable to get the better of their console? Or at least the most faithful experience.

.............No I didn't get any french anything. Lots of Master Systems and Model 1 Genesis have jail bars, this is an internal mod that gives a cleaner signal.

Anth0ny

How many consoles do you wish to connect? I would suggest you to get a Scart switch, as Scart can carry Composite and it will allow you to switch to RGB gradually.

hmm, right now it would probably be:

AV Famicom
SNES
Super Famicom
N64
Wii
PS2
CDX
Dreamcast

So 8. Which is why the 8 port switch stood out to me lol

Ryck

Picked up these two beauties this past week. The price was crazy so I had to get em. First thing I gotta do is replace that Pacman marquee to the original to match the rest of the cabinet. These are my first ever Arcade cabinets so I am pretty excited. I always wanted a Ms Pacman or Pacman cocktail table but the condition and price made me bite the bullet.

Top Bottom