• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

If you want Neo Geo now, you can get it for cheap compared to the above nonsense. Get a consolized MVS and a 161 in 1 multicart, which is more like 95 games not counting hacks. There's a 138 in 1 that has a bunch of games not in the 161. Combined you would have most of the Neo Geo library running perfect on legit hardware, minus a few glitchy games. And then collecting other desirable games to round things out would be no problem since MVS cart prices are very reasonable compared to AES stuff.

Legit just jumped on this option yesterday, awaiting my 161-in-1 multicart, controllers and Omega + SCART in the coming weeks.

Very happy about taking the plunge, I have always wanted a Neo Geo home console (well, I had a Neo Geo Pocket Color) and the Neo Geo X was a heartbreaking and traumatic experience I will never forget.

Will post pics

Mega

Banned
FPGA Neo Geo will be intriguing but how many years away will it be and how much will it cost? We're just about now getting FPGA NES. SNES is in an imperfect state. Same with the Mist (200 Euros) that does Amiga, Commodore, Spectrum, etc. I'm all aboard the FPGA hype but who knows when it will arrive in the form of a new, fully functional Neo Geo console.

I have a Jamma Nation X CMVS. It's not as fancy as the Omega but it's very solidly built and James (guy behind JNX) is a good guy. Regardless of the higher upfront cost for a CMVS over an AES system, it will be a lot cheaper going forward after that initial hurdle.

BKK

But Neo Geo hardware isn't that expensive, and it never was comparative to the software. I remember when I was a kid, reading about Neo Geo in magazines, yes, $600 was out of my range, but even more so, the software was completely out of my range. Nowadays the hardware is comparitively cheap, it's the software prices that's the issue! I really don't see the need for fake Neo Geo hardware when software will cost you orders of magnitude more than the hardware.

televator

But Neo Geo hardware isn't that expensive, and it never was comparative to the software. I remember when I was a kid, reading about Neo Geo in magazines, yes, $600 was out of my range, but even more so, the software was completely out of my range. Nowadays the hardware is comparitively cheap, it's the software prices that's the issue! I really don't see the need for fake Neo Geo hardware when software will cost you orders of magnitude more than the hardware.

Fake cycle accurate FPGA hardware is likely to support ROMs off SD memory.

televator

You know... In case you wanna back up your Five Thousand Dollar copy of Metal Slug that you own legitimately. *couch*

Just in such case.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You know... In case you wanna back up your Five Thousand Dollar copy of Metal Slug that you own legitimately. *couch*

Just in such case.
Maybe I cracked open the Wii VC download of Metal Slug and extracted the rom? Ever think of that hmmm?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank every online seller who ships CIB games in a safe manner so they don't get damaged. You are my heroes.

BKK

I would like to take this opportunity to thank every online seller who ships CIB games in a safe manner so they don't get damaged. You are my heroes.

Thanks ... it's surprisingly rare for people to acknowledge that! Even when they demand it and are not willing to pay for it! Still, if it's an expensive game I take the hit myself, they don't don't just get the standard "free shipping" option, I always give the "deluxe packing and next day shipping" option! But if you're paying 4.99 for a game including free shipping, then it;s gonna get shipped by the cheapest option. I'll still pack it well, but can''t guarantee that the delivery service will treat it well!

IrishNinja

yeah, i bitch about the 2 sega-CD/saturn games that the sellers let roll around inside the cases, but most of the stuff ive bought was really packed in well, and in cases like forum purchases (GAF and otherwise), often looked better than the pics as well. it's the best.

Thanks ... it's surprisingly rare for people to acknowledge that! Even when they demand it and are not willing to pay for it! Still, if it's an expensive game I take the hit myself, they don't don't just get the standard "free shipping" option, I always give the "deluxe packing and next day shipping" option! But if you're paying 4.99 for a game including free shipping, then it;s gonna get shipped by the cheapest option. I'll still pack it well, but can''t guarantee that the delivery service will treat it well!
I don't think I've dealt with you, but you're welcome. :D
Doing god's work, honest.
yeah, i bitch about the 2 sega-CD/saturn games that the sellers let roll around inside the cases, but most of the stuff ive bought was really packed in well, and in cases like forum purchases (GAF and otherwise), often looked better than the pics as well. it's the best.
Yup.

I feel bad not thanking people for these things more. Ebay can be such a punch in the dick, it's always awesome to get a well wrapped package with a game I'm excited for.

BKK

I more deal with cartridges than CDs, but always pad out the inside of the case with bubble wrap to stop stuff moving about during transit.

Teknoman

I wanna get into MSX, but it seems like that's too deep a void to explore lol. So much stuff that seems great and never got re released.

Rich!

Just bought one of these on eBay

asciipadsnin.jpg

Anyone got any experience with them?

Arzehn

I got it a few months ago after recommendation in this thread, and yeah, its pretty great!

Was also planning on getting one.

Do you know if they used the same rubber pads as the snes controller? Wondering if I order one and get poor pads inside if I can just replace them.

OK, for the Neo Geo experts .... $240 ... AES + Arcade Stick is this cheap?

That's about average for an AES with controller. Does it have the Unibios already installed by chance?

The Neo scene is so fucking ridiculous. You WILL absolutely end up paying more for an MVS to AES converter than you will for your AES and controller. Plus a shit ton of games even on MVS now cost more than the fucking hardware.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Excellent controller.

They were manufactured by Mitsumi, just like the OEM Nintendo pads. They're every bit as good as the official controller with the added convenience of turbo switches. I swear by 'em.

I've met and worked with Mitsumi in the past. They're a great company that really understands gaming controllers/dpads.

Rich!

yeah, i love that controller - but mine just has another ASCII logo where that one has the SUPER NES one above the d-pad

yep, that's what mine is apparently like. For reference, here's the image from the ebay listing I won:

It's a bit odd as it has the US lettering style (italics) yet the PAL/JP colours. And no SNES logo - maybe this was after the official licencing expired?

and yeah, the controller is a bit dirty - but it works. I'll be taking it apart to clean it regardless.

IrishNinja

is it easy to do? my select button clearly needs cleaning on the contacts, i'm just a wimp about it cause one genesis arcade stick i opened, i ruined the rapid fire slider or something and now it's just kinda ehhhhh

Been doing some more Capcom gaming this week, retro wise I've been playing through Street Fighter (arcade port via the PS2 collection) and Tiger Road (PC Engine port).

Street Fighter really hasn't aged well. The controls and collision detection are laughably bad, some victories felt like utter flukes (like Sagat) and the special moves are insanely over powered (I managed to KO Birdie in the opening seconds with 1 Hurricane Kick!). It still has some kind of charm to it... seeing how far the series jumped in quality from just SF1 to SF2 is incredibly impressive.

The PC Engine version of Tiger Road is a bit of a strange one. Its not an arcade perfect port of the arcade version, as many of the levels are completely rearranged and at times this is a good thing, other times its a bad thing. It looks nicer in my opinion than the arcade version, the bright cartoony sprites look nicer than the serious "realistic" ones the arcade version used. I quite like the soundtrack as well...
The initial problem I have with the game though is the collision detection. The arcade game works in that as long as any part of your weapon touches the enemy it takes damage, while in this port the tip of your weapon has to connect - so there'll be times where you can't hit enemies right in front of you because you are too close to them. But thankfully the bonus stages help you greatly power up between levels - completing all 4 makes you wonderfully powerful.

I don't get the weird limited continues option either. The game gave me 3 continues, and a "backup" option which I assume is a save option. Using the backup option warps you to the last area you were in, with full health and 3 lives, and can be used over and over to give you basically infinite continues. So not sure why you have two continue options when the first is utterly redundant.

IrishNinja

i love Fighting Street just from my time with SFI in the arcades, but even when 2 dropped, 1 started to age like cheese, seriously

i love Fighting Street just from my time with SFI in the arcades, but even when 2 dropped, 1 started to age like cheese, seriously

I like Fighting Street just for the soundtrack, its probably the one think (bar the hilarious voice acting) that keeps me coming back to the game. I've not placed the TG16 CD port in ages though, so I forget how well it compare to the arcade version. I only remember that its the best of the ports of the original SF (then again, looking at the other platforms it was ported to that doesn't really seem like a impressive feat!)

Khaz

Do you guys know of a cool CF card case? Something that would hold a single card, yet big enough to have stuff written on it and/or hold a cover? The size of a floppy is probably the smallest acceptable.

I've been considering doing a PC appreciation thread. But not really sure where to start. Maybe do it by decade. Just need the time to do it.
I guess I could always start one but add to the op as it goes.

BTails

I'm always done for some classic PC game discussion, especially old adventure games and RPGs. Just look at my avatar!

televator

I_want_you.jpg

In the Xbox Appreciation thread.

Xbox has:
-Mostly better multi plats
-5.1 Surround Sound
-Great mods
-Great imports
-Great exclusives that have not yet been ported or remastered
-Reasonably priced catalogue of games

In other words, there is no good reason not to own an Xbox. What's your excuse? Come join us.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I_want_you.jpg

In the Xbox Appreciation thread.

Xbox has:
-Mostly better multi plats
-5.1 Surround Sound
-Great mods
-Great imports
-Great exclusives that have not yet been ported or remastered
-Reasonably priced catalogue of games

In other words, there is no good reason not to own an Xbox. What's your excuse? Come join us.

Yeah, Xbox is pretty great. I've said it before, but I have waaaaay more of an appreciation for it now than I did back when it was in vogue. It's mostly the games that slipped through the cracks that are worth caring about. Pretty much anything Sega published, for example.

Dunno that I'd say it has a great import lineup, but it does have some awesome exclusives. Lots of 'em. And 360 backwards compatibility is trash, so you gotta go OG.

televator

Yeah, Xbox is pretty great. I've said it before, but I have waaaaay more of an appreciation for it now than I did back when it was in vogue. It's mostly the games that slipped through the cracks that are worth caring about. Pretty much anything Sega published, for example.

Dunno that I'd say it has a great import lineup, but it does have some awesome exclusives. Lots of 'em. And 360 backwards compatibility is trash, so you gotta go OG.

Metal Wolf Chaos, Shadow of Memories, and an interesting Seaman type game called N.U.D.E., come to my mind. There's probably other Japanese or PAL exclusives, but I'm just barely getting well acquainted with the Xbox myself.

Timu

There are OG games that work well to perfectly with 360, but yeah you need the original hardware overall still.

And yes, Xbox is great.

Metal Wolf Chaos, Shadow of Memories, and an interesting Seaman type game called N.U.D.E., come to my mind. There's probably other Japanese or PAL exclusives, but I'm just barely getting well acquainted with the Xbox myself.

Metal Wolf Chaos cracks me up, its one of my favourite FROM games and its a real pity that it remained Japan exclusive. Glad I managed to grab an import copy for a fairly ok price back in the day.

And though they aren't region exclusives, I will always enjoy playing my Xbox just for Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future - especially JSR which I love replaying every year or so. The soundtrack, huge levels, plenty of stuff to do/collect etc.

Top Bottom