• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

The Retron5 is an emulation box. A small computer running Android that dumps your cartridge and plays them in an
unlicensed
emulator. As such it has all the perks and problems of playing on an emulator instead of the real thing. It gets you a perfect audio and video quality, but may not play all the games and not perfectly. It can savestates but only a whitelist of official games are supported (modded / translated bootlegs and everdrives don't work).

I wouldn't go for one, personally, especially if your interest is in the NES alone. If you know that the fault is in the cartridge connector, I believe there are replacements for it. And if you dig picture quality, there are a couple of mods that can enhance the video output to make it look better on CRTs and modern displays.

A couple of new Mega Man games for my MM collection all the way from Korea:

Mega Man X6 (Playstation) and X7 (PC, Small box). I already had the big box PC edition of X7 but had to grab its little brother since I love collecting any and all PC variants. X6 I had no idea got such a nice release in Korea. I love the packaging for this one, as its not just another little jewel case like other regions got.
Its so nice to find new items for my MM collection, but since I've got all the main stuff from Europe, Japan and the USA its gotten harder and harder to find anything new. I got the above while browsing eBay at 5:30 in the morning!

A couple of new Mega Man games for my MM collection all the way from Korea:

Mega Man X6 (Playstation) and X7 (PC, Small box). I already had the big box PC edition of X7 but had to grab its little brother since I love collecting any and all PC variants. X6 I had no idea got such a nice release in Korea. I love the packaging for this one, as its not just another little jewel case like other regions got.
Its so nice to find new items for my MM collection, but since I've got all the main stuff from Europe, Japan and the USA its gotten harder and harder to find anything new. I got the above while browsing eBay at 5:30 in the morning!

very cool, i have those but they don't look as nice for the US packaging

The USA packaging is still better than the Euro packaging though! Through the late X period, and the Battle Network/Zero games, Capcom of Europe used some of the most uninspiring box art known to man. Japanese X7 box art though is really nice, especially on the big box PC release as the main artwork just looks excellent.
Makes me wonder though, I wonder why X6 and X7 skipped Japan when it came to PC releases... China and Korea got them, but I've never seen any proof they were released in Japan (outside of the Playstation releases).

Mzo

OBS Studio works great. It has the option to resize the original source's resolution to maintain aspect ratio, which is exactly what I needed.

I had an older version of OBS that kind of sucked years ago, thanks for the tip.

Rydeen

Makes me wonder though, I wonder why X6 and X7 skipped Japan when it came to PC releases... China and Korea got them, but I've never seen any proof they were released in Japan (outside of the Playstation releases).
Merely the supply and demand of each market. Capcom knew the games would sell just fine on Playstation and PS2 in Japan, but knows the Chinese and Korean market is more lucrative when it comes to PC. There's also having to worry about bootlegs and pirated copies of games, which is a huge factor in China and Korea for the console market.

Merely the supply and demand of each market. Capcom knew the games would sell just fine on Playstation and PS2 in Japan, but knows the Chinese and Korean market is more lucrative when it comes to PC. There's also having to worry about bootlegs and pirated copies of games, which is a huge factor in China and Korea for the console market.

I'd agree, if it weren't for the fact that X8 then ended up getting a Japanese (and European) PC release as well. Just seems odd that they neglected those two games while all X games bar X2 also saw PC releases. Then again, maybe its just their way of pointing out the sub par quality of X6 (stupid nightmare system) and X7 (pretty much everything) by not bothering to port them to PC's in Japan!

The USA packaging is still better than the Euro packaging though! Through the late X period, and the Battle Network/Zero games, Capcom of Europe used some of the most uninspiring box art known to man. Japanese X7 box art though is really nice, especially on the big box PC release as the main artwork just looks excellent.

Forget Japan (much smaller PC market there), why did X6, X7, and X8 all not get US releases on the PC? I at least would have bought some of them! I have X1, 4, and 5 for PC... would have been nice to have more.

D.Lo

I hate when game series jump platform constantly or skip entries on platforms.

Post 8-bit era Castlevania pissed me off so much for that. You had to buy every fucking console to play the whole series - from 1993 the next seven Castlevania games were on seven different platforms (PCE, X68K, Mega Drive, Super Fami, Game Boy, PSX, N64)!

Resident Evil was insane in its second gen too. It was a solid Playstation series, with some ports elsewhere (eg Dreamcast, yes it started as a Saturn project) and the DC exclusive was ported to PS2 so you could follow the whole series on PS.

It was dumb that it went Gamecube exclusive for a few main entries, but whatever, deals got signed. But then PS2 still got the exclusive outbreak games? So dumb. Then they did the sub-par RE4 port, but no Remake or Zero.

Hey Retro dudes. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are the Retron consoles pretty good for NES and Genesis games?I can't get my NES to continue working right even after taking it apart and cleaning it twice now. Would I be better off just switching the pin connector?

Switch the connector. It takes about 7 minutes and the results are glorious.

Hey Retro dudes. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are the Retron consoles pretty good for NES and Genesis games?I can't get my NES to continue working right even after taking it apart and cleaning it twice now. Would I be better off just switching the pin connector?

Pin connectors are like 15 bucks, go with that option. You also will have better results cleaning the actual games than you would would cleaning the console (at least based on my experience).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So what works for me for my NES is using brasso to clean all the connectors. I have changed a 72 pin connector, but it was very damaged.

Anywaus, what kind of shelving does everyone use? My collection is getting out of control and I need a storage solutiin.

I hope these are already damaged consoles. Or Game Stops refurbish center?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nIn_71jgs

oHdjUaf.gif

Genesis
N64
Dreamcast
Xbox 360
Xboxone

all booted up and survived.

hi retroGAF

i picked a non-TMSS High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1
today for 25 bucks. looks new plastic barely had any wear but a bit dusty.
works perfect. with a few other goodies. will post more pics in genesis and snes threads

Rich!

What's the going price for a Japanese white model2 Saturn? I don't need a controller or any cables, just need a working console.

I'm in the UK and the only ones I can find online are near £100 and beyond when you factor in customs on top.

I'm not sure if I want to go the Amazon JP route either, seems like a lot of hassle.

D.Lo

What's the going price for a Japanese white model2 Saturn? I don't need a controller or any cables, just need a working console.

I'm in the UK and the only ones I can find online are near £100 and beyond when you factor in customs on top.

I'm not sure if I want to go the Amazon JP route either, seems like a lot of hassle.

US$60 delivered worldwide.. Literally just the cheapest working console result on an ebay search for 'white saturn console'.

Rich!

Gottea make sure you get the correct kind of Saturn with a matching motherboard / psu board if you go for the second option.

Will do, there's plenty of faulty ones on UK ebay that seem like they should match. At the worst, a stepdown converter will be alright.

Never owned a saturn before, pretty excited!

Will do, there's plenty of faulty ones on UK ebay that seem like they should match. At the worst, a stepdown converter will be alright.

Never owned a saturn before, pretty excited!

Well, there's like 10 or so different motherboards and at least 4 different psu boards, so good luck. Make sure the voltages match up on all the pins. There can be differences between EU and US/JP ones even if they got the same amount if pins.

Rich!

Well, there's like 10 or so different motherboards and at least 4 different psu boards, so good luck. Make sure the voltages match up on all the pins. There can be differences between EU and US/JP ones even if they got the same amount if pins.

yikes, well...stepdown converter is a good way to go, right?

Best shooters period, honestly Reading comprehension. I'm still looking for a PSX copy but it's quite a bit harder to find than the Saturn version despite being an arguably better port

Best shooters period, honestly Reading comprehension. I'm still looking for a PSX copy but it's quite a bit harder to find than the Saturn version despite being an arguably better port

IMHO you can't go wrong with either one. Although now it has me wanting to find a wall mount for my tv that will allow me to rotate my 50 inch LCD for tate mode. Years ago I had my main CRT and then a side set up with a smaller CRT always on its side for shooters that supported tate.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been watching some E3 this week, and yeah, all the focus on strong narratives, great presentation, but uninspiring gameplay just make me so glad we always have the retro games and its community to go back to. Im sure the games are fine, but they are just not at all for me anymore :(

Been watching some E3 this week, and yeah, all the focus on strong narratives, great presentation, but uninspiring gameplay just make me so glad we always have the retro games and its community to go back to. Im sure the games are fine, but they are just not at all for me anymore :(
But bro you can immerse yourself in immersive first person immersive VR immersion experiences.

Im following this, but would have vastly preferred a new game. The original trilogy is fine as it is imo.

Yeah, it seems like a waste. There's honestly not all much benefit from the Crash PS1 games being all 1080p and 60 fps... Still, it's a great sign after all these years.

D.Lo

Yeah, it seems like a waste. There's honestly not all much benefit from the Crash PS1 games being all 1080p and 60 fps... Still, it's a great sign after all these years.
It's pretty much just a quick cash grab, they'll likely make a few bucks.

Kind of weird though, to me those are pretty ordinary corridor platform games which are extraordinary because of what was achieved technically on the meagre hardware.

Reminds me in a small way of how N64 games got doubled resolution and improved framerates on Virtual Console. It made games like F-Zero X and expansion pack games less special, since if everything had improved framerates, performance and resolution, it made the sacrifices and achievements to make them run on original hardware somewhat moot.

EDIT: realised they have no footage. So who knows what level of remake it is.

Voliko

Yeah... I don't get it. I watched the big conferences this year as tradition but I can't see myself playing 99% of those games. They looked so... boring. I need to play something tonight to forget these feels. Maybe Alien Soldier, that game makes me smile.

Top Bottom