• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just get IKEA Billy. Cheap, good looking, durable, and you can get them in multiple colors.

Plus you can get various doors and such for them if you want get fancy.

I have a couple of those right now. Issue with em is that they're too deep and it's kinda a pain to keep everything organized when you pull something off the shelf

I love MD and PCE versions equally. PCE has more colour and the killer CD soundtrack. MD has the 'dirtier' looking graphics due to the low colour palette but paralax, and the soundtrack is also awesome.

Bit silly to complain about the PCE having no software autofire when 99.9% of PCE pads have autofire built in.

That auto fire option on the PCE pads is a life saver for the ports of Side Arms for the system. It was the only thing that allowed me to reach the end of the Before Christ mode (curse that mode, such a step back for the game).

So I've been getting pretty into Densha de Go 64, and I checked out Final for PS2 on Youtube and it looks fantastic. Cool, might as well pick up a copy (keep in mind that I bought 64 for $5 and the controller for $15):

Qtmz7JI.png

pPvzn37.png

773371.gif

Wait so there are PSP ports of the tracks in this game, that might be OK... surely that's cheap right? Can't even get a controller if you wanted but that might be ok:

Aghhhh wait they probably have all of these on PSN right? These games were pretty popular:

393509.gif

fatty

Have you guys started looking for a new, cheap PS3 or Xbox 360 to have as a backup when your current system bites the dust yet? I am thinking now is the time to start looking out. Do you think there will be sales during Black Friday, there wasn't any last year? The Xbox One has backwards compatibility but I just don't like having to rely on downloading the games in the future in case the option is no longer there.

Have you guys started looking for a new, cheap PS3 or Xbox 360 to have as a backup when your current system bites the dust yet? I am thinking now is the time to start looking out. Do you think there will be sales during Black Friday, there wasn't any last year? The Xbox One has backwards compatibility but I just don't like having to rely on downloading the games in the future in case the option is no longer there.

I really want to replace my old 360 soon while I can still get a new one. Maybe a backup PS3 as well but my SuperSlim PS3 will outlast my old 360 for sure. I'm not too concerned about the newer models breaking honestly, but if they eventually do fixing them will be stupidly hard.

dubc35

Yes, I've been mulling a new ps3 but I haven't started shopping for one. My launch BC 60gb is still kicking....for now.

Teknoman

I've started seeing 360s in thrift stores, i'm not too worried...yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I do need to get a new 360. I have whatever the model was from early 2008 for my US one, and my Japanese one is a Jasper.

I've been meaning to do it for years, but I'm so unenthused about the 360's games for the most part that I... kinda don't care enough to actually buy it.

IrishNinja

i literally have my controllers in plastic wal-mart shelves, separated by system...inelegant, but it's working for now!

the big reveal a few years back was a friend telling me not to coil my cords, or at least not right off the controller itself, anyway

EMS is worth the upgrade to me every time lol

This is being shipped from scotland, not sure what the various options are, but the seller let me know it was quite a bit more expensive. I gotta save a bit of cash here and there or I'll have to cut back entirely, so fair enough lol. It still makes me antsy as fuck, though.

Khaz

I recently got a copy of the original Sim City for the Amstrad. I was pleasantly surprised as it still holds up, both graphically and in terms of gameplay. Sure it doesn't look like on a PC with a fancy EGA card, but its much better looking than the black and white Apple II original! My only grudge is the lack of mouse support, as moving the cursor with a controller can be tedious at times. The game otherwise is feature complete as far as I can tell, disasters etc. It's probably the better 8bit port. I grew up playing a ton of Sim City 2000 on PC, which is obviously superior in every way, but there was still fun to be had in this first game.

extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php

I would like to get either the Amiga or PC version, if I ever manage to get a working old IBM-PC or Amiga.

I use both Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD(for Gen 7 and up) and Startech Pexhdcap(for Gens 3-6).
I also use this avermedia card for use with my framemeister. Can't do 1080p60 but it does 720p60 which is perfectly good for livestreaming. Haven't noticed any significant noise or artifacts though their proprietary software is straight garbage. I'll be swapping to amerac next time I get the streaming urge.

Timu

I also use this avermedia card for use with my framemeister. Can't do 1080p60 but it does 720p60 which is perfectly good for livestreaming. Haven't noticed any significant noise or artifacts though their proprietary software is straight garbage. I'll be swapping to amerac next time I get the streaming urge.
AmaRecTV is perfect, you'll love it. I use it for all my recordings on youtube.

crpav

I recently got a copy of the original Sim City for the Amstrad. I was pleasantly surprised as it still holds up, both graphically and in terms of gameplay. Sure it doesn't look like on a PC with a fancy EGA card, but its much better looking than the black and white Apple II original! My only grudge is the lack of mouse support, as moving the cursor with a controller can be tedious at times. The game otherwise is feature complete as far as I can tell, disasters etc. It's probably the better 8bit port. I grew up playing a ton of Sim City 2000 on PC, which is obviously superior in every way, but there was still fun to be had in this first game.

extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php

I would like to get either the Amiga or PC version, if I ever manage to get a working old IBM-PC or Amiga.

I like the SNES version myself. Brother and I rented it several times growing up and our grandma eventually bought it for us. Good times.

dubc35

I like the SNES version myself. Brother and I rented it several times growing up and our grandma eventually bought it for us. Good times.
I recall the SNES version as well. I played that until I got 2000, haven't played one since lol.

BTails

So, I've been talking with some of my coworkers about hosting an NBA Jam tournament at my place in the next few weeks. What version is the best for home consoles? Should we be playing Genesis, SNES, 32x, Sega CD, or Saturn? So many choices!

extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php
extra_lire_fichier.php

I have to imagine that the cancelled nes version of sim city wqs based off this port.
That's a prototype release I've been eagerly awaiting for many years. There's got to be one out there.

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/05/24/sim-city-nes-unreleased/

Danny Dudekisser

So, I've been talking with some of my coworkers about hosting an NBA Jam tournament at my place in the next few weeks. What version is the best for home consoles? Should we be playing Genesis, SNES, 32x, Sega CD, or Saturn? So many choices!

I looked into this, myself, when I was playing a lot of Jam at work. The conclusion I came to was that the Saturn version was the best. Closest to arcade visuals (a few effects are different, but otherwise, everything's intact), best audio, and the most extra features of the versions.

Timu

I looked into this, myself, when I was playing a lot of Jam at work. The conclusion I came to was that the Saturn version was the best. Closest to arcade visuals (a few effects are different, but otherwise, everything's intact), best audio, and the most extra features of the versions.
I need that version!!!

Hello everyone, I had returned home from Tokyo! I picked up some games and plastic models, and some of them have insane prices!

For PSX, I grabbed Metal Gear Solid: Integral and Valkyrie Profile from Book Off. They costed ¥750 and ¥500 respectively.

For PC, I picked up Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series from Trader. Sadly I cannot find Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou. They costed a total of ¥300, which is insane in pricing when you know the series lasted for at least 100 hours (probably need to add a few hundreds of hours more as I need to check my Japanese dictionary when playing).

For PS2, the games I picked up are Dragon Quest V, 120 En no Haru and Wild Arms 1 remake. They costed ¥100 to 200. I always wanted to get into Wild Arms series, so I bought the remake. In addition, I know the author of 120 En no Haru is the one responsible for Narcissu, so I bought it without too much thinking. It should be a good short visual novel for practicing my Japanese while reading some good stories.

That's it! These games will probably keep me busy for a good while, and I need to learn Japanese, too! Besides, I have to build some plastic models as I brought back quite a lot from Volks during its sale. With ¥6000, I grabbed a Fukubukuro and got some really, really insane kits (shown below) in terms of value. For one, Metal Gear Sahelanthropus costs about ¥15,000, but it is fucking included in the Fukubukuro.

Volks, what a way to do business. (Salute)

I've been wanting to go back and play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64 and I've always had problems with the save data getting corrupt. At first I thought it might have been related to not accessing a save file for a long time, but after starting a new save file and completing the Mt. Fuji quest to get the first pipe and saving then trying to reload I got the same corrupt data message.

Any idea what the problem could be? I have see in a few places online people complaining of the same thing.

I might try cleaning my cartridge and my memory pak connectors (it's a first party pak)

Thanks in advance.

xWkXJig.jpg

Just get IKEA Billy. Cheap, good looking, durable, and you can get them in multiple colors.

Plus you can get various doors and such for them if you want get fancy.

I wish I had more space in my room for another damn Billy to hold my games.

Is there anything good from IKEA that you'd recommend for housing consoles?

IrishNinja

yeah, i use billy's for games...perhaps you could use Expedit/whatever that model is now for consoles? it's mostly for vinyl, but there's no back to it so cables wouldn't ben an issue

Mzo

Do we have a thread for questions about the best way to record old games? I'm having some trouble recording from emulators on Windows 10 and keeping a proper aspect ratio. I'm trying to record the old Batman 1986 computer game 2010 remake. When I play it full-screen, it runs at 640x480 and my GPU scales it to 1920x1080, which is fine. I'm then using Action! to record the footage, but the clip shows up as stretched out to fit the full screen. Fine then, I go into Premiere Pro and adjust the aspect ratio of the footage to be 4:3. It looks a bit better, but it's still clearly not the correct aspect ratio and looks too stretched out.

Is there a way to record in the proper aspect ratio to start with (outside of recording in windowed mode, which I guess I can do but would rather not)? I just don't understand why changing the aspect ratio in Premiere Pro isn't working.

Timu

Do we have a thread for questions about the best way to record old games? I'm having some trouble recording from emulators on Windows 10 and keeping a proper aspect ratio. I'm trying to record the old Batman 1986 computer game 2010 remake. When I play it full-screen, it runs at 640x480 and my GPU scales it to 1920x1080, which is fine. I'm then using Action! to record the footage, but the clip shows up as stretched out to fit the full screen. Fine then, I go into Premiere Pro and adjust the aspect ratio of the footage to be 4:3. It looks a bit better, but it's still clearly not the correct aspect ratio and looks too stretched out.

Is there a way to record in the proper aspect ratio to start with (outside of recording in windowed mode, which I guess I can do but would rather not)? I just don't understand why changing the aspect ratio in Premiere Pro isn't working.
I recommend Bandicam, it works very well and you have the ability to capture at any other res you want with it from the settings itself.

Kevin Atomic

Neo Member

Download OBS Studio
https://obsproject.com/

I'll second OBS studio. It's free and works pretty well. My friend and I are considering starting a youtube channel, so I've been doing some tests with it and it seems pretty solid.

Mzo

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I always prefer using real hardware, but a computer is a computer IMO and I'm not going out looking for an Amstrad CPC any time soon.

Khaz

Fine then, I go into Premiere Pro and adjust the aspect ratio of the footage to be 4:3. It looks a bit better, but it's still clearly not the correct aspect ratio and looks too stretched out.

About that, I believe 1:1 is the original aspect ratio, and that 4:3 and 16:9 are stretching the picture. I know I had similar problems when converting films in different softwares.

J-Roderton

Hey Retro dudes. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are the Retron consoles pretty good for NES and Genesis games?I can't get my NES to continue working right even after taking it apart and cleaning it twice now. Would I be better off just switching the pin connector?

Top Bottom