• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Olly88

Been watching some E3 this week, and yeah, all the focus on strong narratives, great presentation, but uninspiring gameplay just make me so glad we always have the retro games and its community to go back to. Im sure the games are fine, but they are just not at all for me anymore :(

Yeah, while watching everything I can't help but feel deflated at despite how impressive everything looks, hardly anything makes me feel like I want to actually play them. All the cheering and hype around everything just confirms that "AAA" games mostly just aren't for me anymore. Maybe this is what getting "old" feels like.

Forget Xbox Scorpio and PS4.5, I want a Famicom and a PC Engine.

dubc35

Haha, we're all not alone. E3 today and I have been looking at CRT TVs on Craigslist lol. I saw one on the side of the road today. It looked like a little Sony or Sharp flat screen but ended up being an Emerson with only RF input, ha! It stayed where it was. I don't even have a current gen console and no plans to get one.

televator

Yeah, it seems like a waste. There's honestly not all much benefit from the Crash PS1 games being all 1080p and 60 fps... Still, it's a great sign after all these years.

I wouldn't call it a waste, exactly. Seeing what Capcom is doing with the next Resident Evil and companies (especially Sony) being more receptive to social media reactions, I feel this is an opportunity for Crash fans to send a message. RE fans responded to capcom's efforts in bringing REmasters on current gen platforms with big sales numbers. Now we have Resident EVII. There's probably more examples of this kind of thing, but I'm too hyped by RE right now to think of them. lol

Mega

Banned
Almost none of the big AAA stuff on PS4 and XB1 interests me. Some of the indie stuff does but most of it (and a lot more) can also be found on PC. Earlier this year I was minutes away from walking out of GameStop with a PS4 when I stopped to look at the existing and upcoming games on my phone's browser and realized there was pretty much nothing I wanted to play on it.

Nintendo is another story as many of their games like NSMBU, Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, Yoshi Woolly World, DK Tropical Freeze and the Kirby games still have a foot in the past of old school gaming we still cherish. They're not perfect but I'm glad one of the three hasn't all but abandoned traditional game design for over-narrated, hand-holding, "cinematic experiences" with scripted events every ten steps and no real challenge.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Almost none of the big AAA stuff on PS4 and XB1 interests me. Some of the indie stuff does but most of it (and a lot more) can also be found on PC. Earlier this year I was minutes away from walking out of GameStop with a PS4 when I stopped to look at the existing and upcoming games on my phone's browser and realized there was pretty much nothing I wanted to play on it.

Nintendo is another story as many of their games like NSMBU, Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, Yoshi Woolly World, DK Tropical Freeze and the Kirby games still have a foot in the past of old school gaming we still cherish. They're not perfect but I'm glad one of the three hasn't all but abandoned traditional game design for over-narrated, hand-holding, "cinematic experiences" with scripted events every ten steps and no real challenge.

E3's been pretty deflating so far for basically that exact reason. There's some cool stuff on the horizon, yeah, but not much that's really delivering what I want from video games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's telling, I think, that while I appreciate the spectacle of the show, there are precisely two booths I'm interested in seeing at E3: Nintendo and XSEED. XSEED mostly for the Falcom stuff.

I guess I'm predictable like that.

It's telling, I think, that while I appreciate the spectacle of the show, there are precisely two booths I'm interested in seeing at E3: Nintendo and XSEED. XSEED mostly for the Falcom stuff.

I guess I'm predictable like that.

a ps4 Ys The Ark of Napishtim would be nice and some NX confirmation

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Forget Xbox Scorpio and PS4.5, I want a Famicom and a PC Engine.

This sums it up so well for me! And considering the price of PC-Engine and its games, getting that and digging into a library, could as well have been a next-gen console.

Anyways, glad Im not the only one feeling bummed about all the AAA-games at E3, and yeah, I also agree that with Nintendo (and From Software) its another thing since their game design philosophy is still very rooted in old school sensibilities. Guess the lack of Nintendo at this years show makes my lack of interest in everything else stand out so much more.

I had the same problem with XBox One this week. That new white box looks really nice, but um.... I don't like shooters, I don't play cinematic hogwash, and there's almost nothing else on that platform. I actually realized I'd rather spend $300 on a PCEngine Duo, which I'm not going to buy but still. Maybe put that on a new graphics card but yeah high-end PC games have been a bit thin for me too.

Re: games in general, I've been pretty down on new games lately anyway. I guess The Last Guardian could be cool but I'll just wait until it's out rather than do the hype->disappointment train
like everyone else

Re: Nintendo, I've been really souring on them lately. The Wii U is being left to rot, their Amiibo bs never sat well for me, and I still really don't like the very idea of the New 3DS. Once Zelda's out (finally) and the 3DS is done I'm going to stop buying new games, at least until the end of next gen, whatever a generation is anymore. Maybe they'll be some actual games worth playing but I can always play catch up.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am also really worried about Nintendo with all the Amiibo-bullshit, freemium-games becoming more frequent, and pointless revisions, however, they do still fund some pretty awesome gameplay-driven games, which they are imo, pretty alone in doing. So i am fine with their consoles not that getting that many games. Pikmin 3, Wonderful101, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario/Luigi U, Captain Toad, Tropical Freeze, Starfox etc all push those right buttons for me. So while I am probably not getting an NX day one, i feel its very probable i will be getting it quite early at least. On the other hand with PS4/Bone i still dont own any of them, and only kinda want a PS4 for Bloodborne.

But I guess it all comes down to Zelda, so we will get our answers in a few hours. This whole landscape of modern gaming makes me miss Sega so much :(

BearChair

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling disappointed with E3 this year.

Maybe it's just "old guy nostalgia syndrome," but it's rare a AAA new game interests me. Indy stuff occasionally grabs my fancy, but I'd much rather play a collection of old arcade games on my PS2 or a PS1 game on my Vita.

Thankfully, we live in a time where there is an abundance of old games to discover. They might not be technically new, but they're new to me.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the last AAA game I loved was Bayonetta 2, lol. I gotta try the new Doom tho. Will download the demo today on PC and see how it runs.

Amen retro brothers. I watched E3 then played my SegaCD!

I watched everything from yesterday and the only AAA game I'm excited for is south park. They aren't using obsidian this time so I'm optimistic it will be as good as the first. Matt and Trey never disappoint IMO.

There are some great games on the newer consoles. You just won't find them headlining a press conference.

The indies have been delivering this Gen as well. Shovel Knight and axiom Verge are some of the best games I've ever played. Cosmic star heroine has me incredibly hype as well.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the last AAA game I loved was Bayonetta 2, lol. I gotta try the new Doom tho. Will download the demo today on PC and see how it runs.

I don't really consider it AAA, more like AA, but maybe Super Mario 3D World for me. If we go by my label of AAA, I might even have to go back to (and I'm not joking, I had to check) 2012's Sleeping Dogs.

Edit: For reference I consider AAA to be very high budget games for high-spec consoles or PC. I've started labelling the ridiculously high budget overly-cinematic games Septuple-A since it's getting kind of ridiculous.

Amen retro brothers. I watched E3 then played my SegaCD!

I watched everything from yesterday and the only AAA game I'm excited for is south park. They aren't using obsidian this time so I'm optimistic it will be as good as the first. Matt and Trey never disappoint IMO.

There are some great games on the newer consoles. You just won't find them headlining a press conference.

The indies have been delivering this Gen as well. Shovel Knight and axiom Verge are some of the best games I've ever played. Cosmic star heroine has me incredibly hype as well.

Yeah CSH looks tight and I'm really excited for Cuphead too. Indies bringing the heat.

Rich!

yessss

G1KwaoUl.jpg

it's absolutely immaculate. aw yeah

Mega

Banned
The new Zelda is looking to be a spiritual successor to the original NES Legend of Zelda.

They just confirmed in an interview that the game will have no towns. They clarified that it's a Hyrule in ruins and they took direct inspiration from the world of the NES LOZ. They did confirm that there will be a handful of stray NPCs throughout the world but no towns or villages in the traditional sense. Also, they claimed that link will not have any kind of partner and will be exploring alone for the entire game.

As I said in that thread:

Wow, this will be my favorite Zelda game since NES LoZ. I have been wanting a remake of the original for years and this appears to pretty much fit the description. The icing on the cake would be confirmation that this IS the original Zelda story.

running theory that makes sense to me is using a time mechanic to explore towns prior to being destroyed.
Oh, and i think it's all but confirmed as not the original's story, given the various hints aonuma's dropped and his citing of spoilers. if it was true nes zelda spoilers probably wouldnt be such a concern.

also: white saturns are lovely. nice pick up.

Mega

Banned
running theory that makes sense to me is using a time mechanic to explore towns prior to being destroyed.
Oh, and i think it's all but confirmed as not the original's story, given the various hints aonuma's dropped and his citing of spoilers. if it was true nes zelda spoilers probably wouldnt be such a concern.

also: white saturns are lovely. nice pick up.

Yeah, turns out there are towns but they're not being show because it will spoil the story. Theory is what you said about traveling to long-dead towns and/or Link restores/rebuilds towns. The game is still very much in the spirit of non-handholding, old-school Zelda. You're pushed out into an enormous world and go wherever you want without annoying hints. I'm super excited!

That white Saturn is seriously gorgeous. I wish that had come stateside.

Definitely some nice pickups David, did you get them all from Digital Press?

Most beautiful thing Ive seen all day...Oh

Holy shit this picture is filled with awesomness!
thanks!
That white Saturn is seriously gorgeous. I wish that had come stateside.

Definitely some nice pickups David, did you get them all from Digital Press?
no the genesis games i got in the mail lightening force and KOF 2000/2001 being the most recent. i picked silent hill this past weekend at digital press

I'm also not really feeling E3 for the first time in a while. Just no damn time to enjoy games much, be they new or retro these days. Sigh.

I have been playing DOOM. You'll like it. It's an excellent blend of old and new, like Wolfenstein TNO.

The new Zelda is looking to be a spiritual successor to the original NES Legend of Zelda.

As I said in that thread:

Wow, this will be my favorite Zelda game since NES LoZ. I have been wanting a remake of the original for years and this appears to pretty much fit the description. The icing on the cake would be confirmation that this IS the original Zelda story.

!!! Wow. I will have to take a closer look at this. Not a Nintendo gamer any more and I just assumed it will be the same old Zelda we've had for the last 10-12 years. This sound really promising. I have been thinking about a Wii U since my daughter is now 3 and I would like to play at least a few Nintendo games from this gen and last ...

Mega

Banned
!!! Wow. I will have to take a closer look at this. Not a Nintendo gamer any more and I just assumed it will be the same old Zelda we've had for the last 10-12 years. This sound really promising. I have been thinking about a Wii U since my daughter is now 3 and I would like to play at least a few Nintendo games from this gen and last ...

You mean same old Zelda we have had for almost 20 years, since Ocarina of Time. Now there is no 3 hour tutorial, no fairy telling you exactly where to go. Not even map beacons telling you where stuff is and hinting at what needs to be done next. The game just starts and you GO.

Teknoman

Repost but:

Wild Guns Reloaded looks great...think it'll make the SNES version drop drastically in price? Or will it be just like Guardian Heroes HD and just cause a miniscule drop?

I know I still play Guardian Heroes Saturn more than anything... but Wild Guns Reloaded looks like the SNES version but even more detailed, no filters.

rsalamar

Neo Member
i got it on ebay:
ZQtGS7Q.jpg

very nice, but there's nothing like the original hardware, so

Q6zri5Y.jpg

my first SNES ever, more than 20 years after getting my Genesis.

Repost but:

Wild Guns Reloaded looks great...think it'll make the SNES version drop drastically in price? Or will it be just like Guardian Heroes HD and just cause a miniscule drop?

I know I still play Guardian Heroes Saturn more than anything... but Wild Guns Reloaded looks like the SNES version but even more detailed, no filters.

Absolutely not. If the VC release didn't I can't see this remixed version doing so either.

Relevant:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/i-am-setsuna-playstation-era-rpg/

I Am Setsuna is all about nostalgia. Sure, it doesn't rehash a familiar franchise or dig up a cast of long forgotten characters, but it does serve up a mixture of PlayStation-era graphics and storytelling that harks back to the classic '90s RPGs that came to the West from Japan. The result, from the few of hours I've played, is a game that feels reassuringly familiar without being gratuitously mercantile in the process.

Such introspection is aided by an art style that uses a classic isometric perspective as its lens and refuses to go into too much detail in regards to character design. The elevated viewpoint and lack of reliance on dialogue text over full-motion video (not to mention the fact that there's no voice acting outside of a few grunts during combat) to progress the plot means that there's plenty of opportunity, even necessity, for you to impart your own meaning and slant on much of what is shown.

Mega

Banned
I'm not aware of digital re-releases, remasters, remakes etc. ever putting a dent on the rising prices of old-school Nintendo software. I think in the case of Players Choice re-releases or anything that makes the box, case, manual, cart or disc look different, the original version even goes up in value or at least holds steady in complete disregard of the new large supply pumped into the market.

Rich!

I have a GameCube plus GameBoy player and games on eBay for £80 buy it now plus best offer

Someone offered me £30, I declined. He then offered me £35. I declined again and said I wouldn't accept such a low offer. He then made a final offer of £1 and said "what's the point of having best offer then fucking timewaster"

looooll

Top Bottom