• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I know this isnt quite retro, but was playing some Street Fighter 4 with my son this morning, and i only have the Arcade Edition on the PS3, and I know there is also the Ultra Edition. Is it worth it to upgrade? Should be pretty cheap by now anyways? Also, did they care to any notiiceable changes for the current gen consoles?

I know this isnt quite retro, but was playing some Street Fighter 4 with my son this morning, and i only have the Arcade Edition on the PS3, and I know there is also the Ultra Edition. Is it worth it to upgrade? Should be pretty cheap by now anyways? Also, did they care to any notiiceable changes for the current gen consoles?

Ultra on ps4 is fantastic if you have one.

If you're just playing here and there for fun with your son I would say the upgrade isnt worth it on ps3

I thought it was plagued with all sorts of issues, not least of which being major input lag?

All have been fixed. Its the superior version even over the PC.

I guess this is similar to people still thinking the xbox one doesn't allow used games.

First impressions are everything.

My Omega has arrived! I am quite happy with it, I've been playing it nonstop since it arrived.

hkeYC9Y.jpg

4TeS5Iy.jpg
Got some MVS cart shockboxes, too! (I actually have a 161-in-1 multicart.)

Some off screen shots; sorry for the phone camera quality.

...and lastly, weird ass Terry from the multicart game selection menu.

congrats, man! wanted an Omega + multicart forever now, what's the compatibility been like so far in the games you've played?

No issues at all, really.

The biggest thing is that the memory card interferes with the ability to return to the game select menu, so you have to turn the system off then on again to change games, but that's not such a big deal for me.

Messing around in Unibios 3.3 is fun, too. There's quite a bit you can do with it.

My Omega has arrived! I am quite happy with it, I've been playing it nonstop since it arrived.

Got some MVS cart shockboxes, too! (I actually have a 161-in-1 multicart.)

Some off screen shots; sorry for the phone camera quality.

...and lastly, weird ass Terry from the multicart game selection menu.

looks so cool!

Rich!

got some sfc games for cheap on ebay (like real cheap), but they were discoloured, missing labels

Realised I still had some glossy sticker paper, I threw together some labels. The DKC2 one was my own design - I went with the DKC2 logo rather than SDK2 JP because, 1. I could only find the former in decent condition and 2. I prefer it.

I couldn't find a decent version of the JP Mario Kart label online, so I rebuilt it from scratch in photoshop. And the Super Everdrive one is just one I threw together quickly to be used when I get another in the future.

I tested them on my standard inkjet at home and it came out alright (albeit I need to reduce the size by a few mm) - so next time I'm at work I'll reprint them using their big and expensive laser printer.

D.Lo

I was inspired by the Game & Watch discussion a few pages ago in this thread to get out all my childhood LCD games and grab a few more on ebay. I'm buying every one I can get for under $20.

Of interest, this Soviet pirate of a Nintendo one (It's a pirate of 'Egg')

And this cool one from Bandai, which is solar powered, and has two panels in the one screen, so it changes to a second screen when you complete the first one.

But it's almost a joke how much higher quality Nintendo's ones were than everyone else's.

I was inspired by the Game & Watch discussion a few pages ago in this thread to get out all my childhood LCD games and grab a few more on ebay. I'm buying every one I can get for under $20.

And this cool one from Bandai, which is solar powered, and has two panels in the one screen, so it changes to a second screen when you complete the first one.

But it's almost a joke how much higher quality Nintendo's ones were than everyone else's.

damn it, i'm so tempted by that game and watch. maybe i'll browse for one...

Rich!

quick question (as in I need an answer quick!)

RGB modded japanese N64 with expansion pak and 18 games (including banjo, dk64, mario, wave race, starfox, castlevania, etc) and cables for £100. good deal? buy?

edit: fuck it. I bought it. It's my birthday in a week, and my parents insist on buying me something physical each time to bring when they come round mine. so this will be it.

Here's what I bought for £100. Did I do good?

If you were to buy in Japan:
N64: 3000 yen (appx, hardoff netmall price)
Games: 200-300 each * 17 = ~4250 yen (I saw all of these for less in worse condition, but the default price for clean N64 games that weren't rare or Smash Bros was usually 300 yen)
Cost of modding: ??? but i'd estimate 2000 yen since it's dead simple to remove the tabs on a JP model and hook up RGB (hopefully they used an amp) but you're also skipping shipping back/forth & stress
Shipping: 1000 yen (if shipping was included)

If you were to buy online (hardoff netmall + amazon jp which has a lot of used retro games at good prices) and use a forwarder like tenso in Japan you probably could have saved a bit. If shipping wasn't included & more than above it's worth noting that a lot of ebayers are using tracked & signature required shipping for higher priced items to avoid scams, which increases shipping cost.

Really nice stuff :) I was tempted to grab the Russian games a while back but never did (I mainly wanted them for the novelty, plus they were pretty cheap at the time).

I wish I could find my old Splatterhouse LCD game. It was fairly fun from what I remember, not up to Game and Watch standards but it was pretty good.

Rich!

If you were to buy in Japan:
N64: 3000 yen (appx, hardoff netmall price)
Games: 200-300 each * 17 = ~4250 yen (I saw all of these for less in worse condition, but the default price for clean N64 games that weren't rare or Smash Bros was usually 300 yen)
Cost of modding: ??? but i'd estimate 2000 yen since it's dead simple to remove the tabs on a JP model and hook up RGB (hopefully they used an amp) but you're also skipping shipping back/forth & stress
Shipping: 1000 yen (if shipping was included)

If you were to buy online (hardoff netmall + amazon jp which has a lot of used retro games at good prices) and use a forwarder like tenso in Japan you probably could have saved a bit. If shipping wasn't included & more than above it's worth noting that a lot of ebayers are using tracked & signature required shipping for higher priced items to avoid scams, which increases shipping cost.

Hm...yeah, buying locally in japan is bound to be cheaper though, right? I forgot to mention, this sale was free postage...it's £90 all in (well, a lie - £95 after a best offer acceptance). And It's being shipped via Royal Mail 48, so I'll get it in two days.

Also, RGB modded consoles go for around £60-£80 on ebay. I bought one from GAF's own bapho a few years back and it cost me about that.

Does anybody have good suggestions on a good AV/Composite switcher? I'm trying to put together a retro setup for my NES/SNES/Genesis and probably my Saturn/N64/Dreamcast as well. Is it possible that these introduce input lag?

Rich!

bought an atari 2600 power cable off amazon, but it ends in like almost a 3.5mm plug..looked at the back of my 2600 and saw this

am i fucked or what do i need now

That looks broken. The power socket seems to have snapped off and fallen into the casing.

You're gonna need to open it up and solder a new one. I might be totally wrong on this, I've never owned a 2600.

IrishNinja

That looks broken. The power socket seems to have snapped off and fallen into the casing.

You're gonna need to open it up and solder a new one. I might be totally wrong on this, I've never owned a 2600.

that was my concern with the wiring, yeah...starting to think another 2600 might just be cheaper/easier at this point, been a while since a good garage sale out this way though sadly

D.Lo

bought an atari 2600 power cable off amazon, but it ends in like almost a 3.5mm plug..looked at the back of my 2600 and saw this

am i fucked or what do i need now
It's just low level DC power. Two wires to a 3.5m jack, pretty much the easiest fix ever.

D.Lo

kinda drunk and not usually good with this stuff, Dlows

how i do dis

1) Sober up

2) Open console

3) if the piece is inside the console, grab it. If it's lost, buy something like this

P035SCK02.jpg

4) Solder wires to each of the poles on the socket thing

5) Glue socket thing to console

6) Profit

I finally finished organizing my library so I thought I would share some pics. My mom moved out of her place and gave us 2 more of the same style bookshelves that we had so I finally consolidated most of my library into one space. I put everything in quotes to make them smaller and you can click to enlarge.

Tried to get an overall pic but couldn't get it all in frame

26527083674_c56c6b7586_z.jpg

I put most of my limited editions and spare consoles up top, but there's still a bunch in the closet that just wouldn't fit.

More recent stuff is in the living room

and most of my handhelds are in a case (the gba games are the same as the boxes I just don't keep them in the boxes like I do other games).

Hawk269

Any suggestions on where to buy cases for games? I have a rather large collection of Atari 2600, ColecoVision and NES games without boxes and a few Genesis & Intellivision games. I have them nicely stacked on a bookshelf, but looking to protect them a bit more and put them in cases. Any thoughts on where to look?

IrishNinja

goddamn Shin Johnpv, loving that! you actually managed to make that look accessible too, which is huge for me with these things. love the sexy boxes & pixel art guys as well!

Rich!

I asked in the N64 thread but didn't get a response...

Anyone tried these pads? I can't find any reviews or opinions of them anywhere online

Hori Commander N64

I just bought it for a fiver on eBay. It's hori and officially licenced, so it should be good right?

The button placement on the right looks to be shifted a bit in order to account for the higher grip. It should be good to use.

It's only a stopgap anyway. Eventually I will be getting a raphnet gamecube controller to N64 adapter for wireless Wavebird goodness

Timu

I asked in the N64 thread but didn't get a response...

Anyone tried these pads? I can't find any reviews or opinions of them anywhere online

Hori Commander N64

I just bought it for a fiver on eBay. It's hori and officially licenced, so it should be good right?

The button placement on the right looks to be shifted a bit in order to account for the higher grip. It should be good to use.

It's only a stopgap anyway. Eventually I will be getting a raphnet gamecube controller to N64 adapter for wireless Wavebird goodness
I used to use those...I think I prefer the original controller.

Rich!

I used to use those...I think I prefer the original controller.

Well yeah, but getting the original controller with a decent stick is difficult as hell. And then it won't last anyway.

My go to controller right now is the competition pro pad. Never had that stick fail on me, but the triggers and dpad suck.

Ehhh I've seen better

lies. That is the best collection I've ever seen. Insane work my lad

goddamn Shin Johnpv, loving that! you actually managed to make that look accessible too, which is huge for me with these things. love the sexy boxes & pixel art guys as well!

Thanks guys! It's many many years of my gaming life right there lol. I really just wanted to be able to get to everything so that I could play whatever I wanted to. Before this I had a bunch of shit on those dvd racks in a closet which you had to move one rack to get to another. It was just a big hassle. Just wanted it to look nice and be accessible.

Teknoman

Anyone know of a good professional level disc buffer? I've got a store thats about a good 30 minute drive that buffs discs, but i'd like to have one for keeps just in case.

Top Bottom