• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Lettuce

Think i need some more NES pads....

mxq8k4v.jpg

the thing is this isnt even all of them.....think i went a bit OTT a few years back

Speaking of NES pads, anyone picking up some NES classic controllers when the NES Classic Edition drops in November? I hope the quality is up to snuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
These people creating these Sonic sucks threads need to be tarred and feathered.

On the NX news, I hope the detachable controllers aren't too small and the battery life is longer than 3 hours.

I'd be more than happy if the detachable controller was just a rebranded Wii U pro controller. That thing is one of my favorite controllers ever. Certainly of the last two gens.

Khaz

I'd be more than happy if the detachable controller was just a rebranded Wii U pro controller. That thing is one of my favorite controllers ever. Certainly of the last two gens.

The thing looks like it's going to be like a WiiU gamepad, except with removable handles/sticks and the CPU being in the pad instead of the base.

Mega

Banned
^There are confirmed photos or mockups of the NX controller?

Speaking of NES pads, anyone picking up some NES classic controllers when the NES Classic Edition drops in November? I hope the quality is up to snuff.

I am. Figure why not at $10 each. Not sure if I'm getting the NES CE itself...

Peagles

^There are confirmed photos or mockups of the NX controller?

I am. Figure why not at $10 each. Not sure if I'm getting the NES CE itself...

You guys get them for $10? Shit... They're $25 here (nearly $20 USD)... Price-gouging arseholes...

Mega

Banned
Yikes, that's rough. But you can also use any version of the wired Wii Classic Controller you may have on hand.

D.Lo

Yeh I have some, but it's not really the point. It's frustrating that we pay double for the same stuff.
Taxes already factored in, economies of scale, value of currency within a domestic economy (eg the Big Mac index, what is minimum wage) etc.

Peagles

Taxes already factored in, economies of scale, value of currency within a domestic economy (eg the Big Mac index, what is minimum wage) etc.

Even considering all that, double still seems ridiculous. Just looked again they're actually $30 lol.

Local retailers get pissed at everyone importing crap online. When it costs less to get most stuff here even after international shipping and duties, there's gotta be something broken.

D.Lo

Even considering all that, double still seems ridiculous. Just looked again they're actually $30 lol.

Local retailers get pissed at everyone importing crap online. When it costs less to get most stuff here even after international shipping and duties, there's gotta be something broken.
Not sure if it's exactly the same as Australia, but local businesses are kinda being screwed by the situation by a few things.

Firstly, they have to pay all taxes on imports, whereas individual imports are tax free for purchases under AU$1000. So they pay tarrifs, customs fees, and have to charge GST, but an overseas retailer does not.

Secondly, China is boosting their small business economy by rorting an old international mail law - that all mail will be delivered internally for free after it reaches the destination country. The Chinese government heavily subsidises shipping from China. So it costs $15 for me to send say a keyboard from Sydney to Sydney, but it costs $0.50 to send from Shenzen to Sydney. Hence stuff is on ebay for 99c with free shipping, which is literally impossible domestically.

Peagles

Not sure if it's exactly the same as Australia, but local businesses are kinda being screwed by the situation by a few things.

Firstly, they have to pay all taxes on imports, whereas individual imports are tax free for purchases under AU$1000. So they pay tarrifs, customs fees, and have to charge GST, but an overseas retailer does not.

Secondly, China is boosting their small business economy by rorting an old international mail law - that all mail will be delivered internally for free after it reaches the destination country. The Chinese government heavily subsidises shipping from China. So it costs $15 for me to send say a keyboard from Sydney to Sydney, but it costs $0.50 to send from Shenzen to Sydney. Hence stuff is on ebay for 99c with free shipping, which is literally impossible domestically.

A bit the same. But like I say, even with GST and regular shipping (even gaffers sending me stuff from the US often costs less than domestic shipping here), it's better to import. We have to pay GST above $400 NZD but you can get stung under than if you are buying certain things. They're trying to bring it in for all online purchases, but it would still be worth importing even with another 15% tacked on.

Most recent lol was a graphics card my husband was looking at. Was something like $300-400 NZD to get one shipped from Amazon and over $1000 NZD in stores here. Something ain't right there lol.

D.Lo

Most recent lol was a graphics card my husband was looking at. Was something like $300-400 NZD to get one shipped from Amazon and over $1000 NZD in stores here. Something ain't right there lol.
Certain things are captive markets and they do charge too much just because they get away with it. But it may not be the retailer's fault.

It's possible that the distributor of the graphics card has sole rights to sell it in the country, and uses the courts to prosecute grey importers. So the store may have to buy it for $950 as their only legal option.

Peagles

Certain things are captive markets and they do charge too much just because they get away with it. But it may not be the retailer's fault.

It's possible that the distributor of the graphics card has sole rights to sell it in the country, and uses the courts to prosecute grey importers. So the store may have to buy it for $950 as their only legal option.

Yeh, people know and get that. It's just when you're already paying like 80% of your wage on housing/rent and living costs, you have to save wherever you can. Sucks for the retailers if it's not their fault but that just seems to be how it goes these days (sometimes it is their fault I'm sure, there was one gfx card where my husband pointed out the difference and they immediately dropped their price by $300 in response, lol).

Of course when I said price-gouging before, I didn't mean the retailers do it. It seems to be set by the distributors more than anything because they just charge as much as they think they can get away with.

televator

I FUCKING LOVE Ys III!!!!

What a fantastic game. It's like Zelda with voice acting... before Zelda had VA. lol

It even has a goddamn spin attack, and a save system similar to Majora's Mask. Treasure chests you only have access to once you have the right tools...

The lack of a map doesn't harm this game like the previous ones since it doesn't have labyrinth level design.

Timu

I FUCKING LOVE Ys III!!!!

What a fantastic game. It's like Zelda with voice acting... before Zelda had VA. lol

It even has a goddamn spin attack, and a save system similar to Majora's Mask. Treasure chests you only have access to once you have the right tools...

The lack of a map doesn't harm this game like the previous ones since it doesn't have labyrinth level design.
Now I need to play that game.

televator

Someone told me to go for the remake though.=O

Yeah of course! I'm playing the remakes on PSP. They're also available on steam. The 2D games have high res assets. They don't even require scanlines, even on PSP. They were meant to display without scanlines.

While I usually shy away from emulation I had a few hours to burn tonight and wanted to play around on a few arcade games I've not played at all/in a while.

Spent quite a while playing Outrunners, I'm not sure how this was critically received compared to the original Outrun but I really enjoyed this game. Its basically what I wanted from Outrun - fast gameplay and varied locations. Some of the areas looked really nice, with winding hills and nice vistas as you raced through several countries to the end point. I don't believe this ever got a decent/accurate home port did it? As if it did I need to track it down.

I also spent a bit of time playing the arcade version of Robocop which I also enjoyed quite a bit. A few sections kick my ass but I'm ok at it I guess. Its a nice fun run and gun game, not the best I've ever played but I could still see me pumping quite a few coins into the arcade machine...

Lastly I had a brief play on Cadilacs and Dinosaurs. What impresses me is what a strong impression I'm left with after playing it for such a short time. It looks good and plays like a dream. You get your normal variety of weapons and a nice variety of human and dinosaur enemies to battle against. I guess its Final Fight with dinos, but its so much fun that I may have to look into importing an arcade board of the game (assuming there are no issues with boards committing suicide (I think I read that certain CPS1 games did have this problem, I know CPS2 and 3 had issues like this, I'd love to get a Warzard kit for myself but they sound so temperamental).

While I usually shy away from emulation I had a few hours to burn tonight and wanted to play around on a few arcade games I've not played at all/in a while.
Other than buying the actual cabinets, how else would you play these games? I built a Bartop machine so I could do just that. I never liked console emulation, it just feels wrong. Super Mario World on a PC, just isn't the same. Maybe because most games are still accessible, unlike arcades.

Went to a local shop that I never get to get out to and picked up guardian heroes on Saturn and po'ed on playstation. Guardian heroes is the Japan version but I kind of like using a guide or youtube to play the Japan versions of games. plus it was about 1/5 the price.

Also bought some old magazines. I wish more stores carried old game magazines.

Some interesting bits from the 1996 ultra game players news.

xEZPq8Ql.jpg

Apparently an actraiser 1&2 collection was planned for Saturn, or rumored? Never heard another source on this.

5XDqoFil.jpg

Coverage of the Tokyo game show 96 that mentions metal gear as a follow up to the nes game but also lists it under the n64 section, not playstation. Maybe a misunderstanding but I always heard that mgs was initially planned for n64.

3nudzJZl.jpg

Grumblings about problems between capcom and Sony about 2d games. Sony really disliked 2d games at the time. I think that's why there's so many great Saturn capcom releases.

I always liked ultra game players magazine but it seems it wasn't very popular.

Does anyone know what happened to the guys behind it?

This issue lists
Chris slate
Patrick baggatta
Roger Churchill
Mike salmon
And bill Donohue.

I also remember a lady named Francesca later on. Seems like none of them are in games anymore.

Other than buying the actual cabinets, how else would you play these games? I built a Bartop machine so I could do just that. I never liked console emulation, it just feels wrong. Super Mario World on a PC, just isn't the same. Maybe because most games are still accessible, unlike arcades.

I've got a nice 6 button Super Gun that plays pretty much any Jamma arcade board with no issues, as well as stuff like Hyper Neo Geo 64. I'm stingy on which boards I get though since they can cost quite a bit. I've only got stuff like AvP, both Mega Man arcade games, Violent Storm, Captain America and the Avengers, Marvel Super Heroes, Spider Man, X-Men, Shadow Dancer etc. Basically games that either got no arcade port, or no good arcade port (this was before PS2/Xbox 360 releases mind you, but I still prefer the arcade boards).
But yeah, I don't do console emulation either, I just buy the consoles/games as I much prefer playing them on an old TV on the actual consoles. I do prefer to emulate some older computers though - Spectrum and Amiga for example mainly to avoid load times (Spectrum) and because my Amiga is currently dead :( It serves the purpose, but definitely doesn't feel the same.

D.Lo

Coverage of the Tokyo game show 96 that mentions metal gear as a follow up to the nes game but also lists it under the n64 section, not playstation. Maybe a misunderstanding but I always heard that mgs was initially planned for n64.
Never heard of it going to 64. Kojima was obsessed with video after making Snatcher and Policenauts (he basically wanted to make movied not games it seems) so would need CD, and Metal Gear 3 was originally going to be on 3D0 lol.

Ironically enough MGS eventually ditched (most of ) the FMVs and used in game assets for cutscnees, and was vastly superior for doing so.

TriAceJP

Someone told me to go for the remake though.=O

The remake is more of the standard Ys affair (albeit a very good game), The original(s) were the Zelda II of the series. Extreme departure from the series but still very good.

Do yourself a favour and try playing through the PC Engine version of the game.

BTails

The remake is more of the standard Ys affair (albeit a very good game), The original(s) were the Zelda II of the series. Extreme departure from the series but still very good.

Always been meaning to get into the Ys series. If going retro, I've heard the PC Engine is the way to go for I&II. Is that the same for III? There's a LOT of ports of that one.

Timu

I don't have a PC Engine, and don't plan to get one!=O

Teknoman

Say whaaaaat?

lol then Genesis version it is. That is if you want to give the original a shot. Otherwise, just play Oath in Felghana.

Samuray

I don't have a PC Engine, and don't plan to get one!=O

....WHA-??? But.....but....wha.....why?!?

It"s my favorite system next to the Neo Geo, and for pretty much everyone with even a fleeting interest in shmups or jump 'n runs the PCE warrants very, very serious consideration! No?

Timu

Otherwise, just play Oath in Felghana.
I plan to play that.

....WHA-??? But.....but....wha.....why?!?

It"s my favorite system next to the Neo Geo, and for pretty much everyone with even a fleeting interest in shmups or jump 'n runs the PCE warrants very, very serious consideration! No?
A lot of the games I have interest in are on other systems like Rondo of Blood. In fact I have that on my Wii!

My thing with TG16/PCE is I'd be entirely reliant on eBay for games. There are zero TG16 games where I live. I use eBay quite a bit, but I can also gets a fair amount of Genesis, SNES, NES, PS1/2 games locally.

Timu

Don't get me wrong, the PC Engine is a great system, but for me it's pricey, I would have to get it RGB modded to even use it since I tend to avoid composite for recordings, I would have to import a lot of games from Japan and I rather get most imports from here, America, definitely ones that are really pricey.

D.Lo

Don't get me wrong, the PC Engine is a great system, but for me it's pricey, I would have to get it RGB modded to even use it since I tend to avoid composite for recordings, I would have to import a lot of games from Japan and I rather get most imports from here, America, definitely ones that are really pricey.
What is it with the American fear of importing? I've imported 99.9% of my collection and have had no issues 99.9% of the time.

But yeah the boat has possibly sailed on PC Engine. You had to be there 5-10 years ago, and it wasn't the cheapest even then. RGB modded Duo RX for US$150, Dracula X was $100, but shooters galore for peanuts in Japan.

Samuray

But yeah the boat has possibly sailed on PC Engine. You had to be there 5-10 years ago, and it wasn't the cheapest even then. RGB modded Duo RX for US$150, Dracula X was $100, but shooters galore for peanuts in Japan.

Sounds like a pipe dream from today's perspective :)

But yeah, I missed that boat also and have been buying Engine stuff for....what? Two years now? Probably.
Funny thing is I've had a modded Turbo Duo (with JP compatability and RGB) since 1996 but only had a handful of games for it. Stupid me lost interest quickly because of the AMAZING 3D OF PLAYSTATION.......yeah.....I know.......

Anyway, I've been trying to find good to okay-ish deals as good as I can, mostly directly from Japan....but some games are very pricey indeed.

I've been very lucky with "Coryoon" which a nice fellow sold me for 100, but "Super Darius II" has eluded me so far, for example. And I'm pretty sure many games I've paid 20 to 40€ for could probably have been had for a fiver back then. Oh well....they're still well worth it! Amazing system!

Top Bottom