• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

entremet

I've considered a PCE but I really don't know where to start. At least with SEGA and Nintendo systems, I have an idea somewhat.

I already played Rondo on the Wii VC. That's the only game I really wanted back in the day.

What is it with the American fear of importing? I've imported 99.9% of my collection and have had no issues 99.9% of the time.

But yeah the boat has possibly sailed on PC Engine. You had to be there 5-10 years ago, and it wasn't the cheapest even then. RGB modded Duo RX for US$150, Dracula X was $100, but shooters galore for peanuts in Japan.

It's the cost for me. No problem importing. I'm also not too into shmups.

Teknoman

PC engine games for the most part arent that expensive still. Especially some of the cooler platformers or the more common shooters. Of course, you have to be a big shooter and quirky platformer fan to really want a PC engine. That and the odd old school RPG.

Always been meaning to get into the Ys series. If going retro, I've heard the PC Engine is the way to go for I&II. Is that the same for III? There's a LOT of ports of that one.

The PC Engine is definitely the way to play I&II, when it comes to III, they all kind of have their plus and minus'. While the PC Engine one has the best music, it suffers from some really wickedly bad stuttering in the scrolling, and an anemic amount of animation frames (which makes NO SENSE). The Genesis and SNES versions are much closer, very similar sounding music and closer graphics. Though they can be harder, have no voice acting like the PC Engine version, and the hitboxes on the SNES one seem slightly off to me.

That said though you can't really go wrong with any of the 3, you'll have a good time with any of them.

But yeah the boat has possibly sailed on PC Engine. You had to be there 5-10 years ago, and it wasn't the cheapest even then. RGB modded Duo RX for US$150, Dracula X was $100, but shooters galore for peanuts in Japan.

CD Games (outside of Dracula X, Sapphire and a few others) are still mostly affordable from Japan it seems. HuCards are absolutely insane though.

I have to say my best investment has been a TurboEverdrive. HuCards have just gotten so ridiculously priced.

D.Lo

CD Games (outside of Dracula X, Sapphire and a few others) are still mostly affordable from Japan it seems. HuCards are absolutely insane though.

I have to say my best investment has been a TurboEverdrive. HuCards have just gotten so ridiculously priced.
My experience, including Japan (both in person every couple of years and yahoo auctions), is the opposite.

Loose Hucards are cheaper, but loose is lame ;)

PC engine games for the most part arent that expensive still. Especially some of the cooler platformers or the more common shooters. Of course, you have to be a big shooter and quirky platformer fan to really want a PC engine. That and the odd old school RPG.
Maybe it's all about perspective about what 'expensive' is. I mean we're not talking Mega Drive Vampire Killer, but so many top games (eg Spriggan, Air Zonk, Magical Chase, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Coryoon, Ninja Spirit, Hellfire, Kaze Kiri, Rainbow Islands, Bonk 3, Faussete Amour, Sylphia, Renny Blaster, Sapphire... the list goes on) are $100+ games.

I'd say if the cutoff is $100, most of the top 20% of the system's best games are inaccessible outside of outright piracy.

I'm not someone who whines about prices, they are what they are, and I have a pretty good collection already, but I would probably consider a decent collection prohibitive if I was starting now.

Speaking of Raindow Islands, what is the "definitive" port, which includes the hidden worlds?
Up to now, the only one I play often is the Amiga port, one of my favourite games of all time (apart from the level 3 boss, he can get lost), but the Amiga port didn't have the hidden levels. I'd love to finally play through the entire game.

Day 2 of my quick plays on various arcade games. Man, I miss classic Sega... they really had the touch back in the day. Enduro Racer is a game I've never played before, but its incredibly addictive. Thunder Blade seems pretty fun as well (and the ports of the game never really seemed to do the original arcade game justice).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just opened my Mega Drive 1 to lift pin6 on the Sony Video Encoder to get rid of some jailbars However, it is a unit i have bought premodded with a 50/60hz mod and some others (overclock, jap/eng and a halt-function), and it seemed the mod was done pretty messy. So while I tried to lift it all up to get to the video encoder, i ended up breaking a few of the cables going from various pins to the switches. Which means the machine is pretty much useless unless I can fix it lol.

This means i need to finally learn some soldering, shouldnt be to hard to rewire those cables if i just can get those soldering skills down. So i guess my question to the guys in here that know the skill:

1) What do I need?
2) What do I need to be careful about?
3) How do I do it?

Teknoman

My experience, including Japan (both in person every couple of years and yahoo auctions), is the opposite.

Loose Hucards are cheaper, but loose is lame ;)

Maybe it's all about perspective about what 'expensive' is. I mean we're not talking Mega Drive Vampire Killer, but so many top games (eg Spriggan, Air Zonk, Magical Chase, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Coryoon, Ninja Spirit, Hellfire, Kaze Kiri, Rainbow Islands, Bonk 3, Faussete Amour, Sylphia, Renny Blaster, Sapphire... the list goes on) are $100+ games.

I'd say if the cutoff is $100, most of the top 20% of the system's best games are inaccessible outside of outright piracy.

I'm not someone who whines about prices, they are what they are, and I have a pretty good collection already, but I would probably consider a decent collection prohibitive if I was starting now.

Maybe i'm out of touch, since most of the hucards I wanted (aside from stuff i'd need to play in english and stuff like Coryoon and Magical Chase) I got a couple years back. I guess if you dont look at prices consistently, thats what happens. Well at least Jackie Chan is still low, along with Valkyrie.

Not sure if it's definitive, but I always thought the Saturn version was pretty great.

Good to hear. I grabbed that version super cheap a little while back. Pity they had to change the music for the game, it doesn't sound as nice as the original "over the rainbow" theme. I might have to give it some playtime this week...

D.Lo

Maybe i'm out of touch, since most of the hucards I wanted (aside from stuff i'd need to play in english and stuff like Coryoon and Magical Chase) I got a couple years back. I guess if you dont look at prices consistently, thats what happens. Well at least Jackie Chan is still low, along with Valkyrie.
Jackie Chan can be $80 complete.

Yes it's jumped considerably in the last couple of years. I went on a casual sidequest to get all the Wonder Boy non-WB ports and have watched them climb.

In the early 2000s I got many things for 100 yen (much like many PS1 games are now). And SEALED big name Famicom Disks for $2 lol.

Jackie Chan can be $80 complete.

Yes it's jumped considerably in the last couple of years. I went on a casual sidequest to get all the Wonder Boy non-WB ports and have watched them climb.

In the early 2000s I got many things for 100 yen (much like many PS1 games are now). And SEALED big name Famicom Disks for $2 lol.

Really wish I would have been into eBay earlier on. I didn't start until about 2006 but actually didn't use it much until later.

D.Lo

Really wish I would have been into eBay earlier on. I didn't start until about 2006 but actually didn't use it much until later.
2006 was still pretty good, random invoice from my email history (I can't actually look much further because I changed to gmail in 2005)

Thank you for your purchases. The total for your items below is US $104.88.

Item # Item Title Qty. Price
290000986347 Castlevania Dracula X (Sega Saturn) 1 US $46.00
290000987246 Street Fighter Zero 3 (Sega Saturn / Japan) 1 US $50.13
Subtotal: US $96.13

Postage and handling via Standard Int'l Flat Rate Postage:
US $8.75
Total: US $104.88
Nocturne has only doubled, Zero 3 is now worth $300-400 lol.

Yeah, I got CIB copies of some black box games for cheap. But they were the common ones - SMB, Pinball and Gyromite. But only $10 for the lot! All five-screw carts with hangtab boxes in decent shape.

Same here, I got sealed Famicom Disk copies of Legend of Zelda and Metroid for like 10 bucks shipped each from Japan about 10 - 12 years ago.

Khaz

I just opened my Mega Drive 1 to lift pin6 on the Sony Video Encoder to get rid of some jailbars However, it is a unit i have bought premodded with a 50/60hz mod and some others (overclock, jap/eng and a halt-function), and it seemed the mod was done pretty messy. So while I tried to lift it all up to get to the video encoder, i ended up breaking a few of the cables going from various pins to the switches. Which means the machine is pretty much useless unless I can fix it lol.

This means i need to finally learn some soldering, shouldnt be to hard to rewire those cables if i just can get those soldering skills down. So i guess my question to the guys in here that know the skill:

1) What do I need?
2) What do I need to be careful about?
3) How do I do it?

Have you ever soldered before? In school maybe?
Get a basic soldering kit and a continuity tester (a multimeter) from your nearest diy retailer, watch a few tutorial videos on how to handle the iron, how to do good solder joints, etc. If you have specific questions you can ask here :)

Morfeo

Have you ever soldered before? In school maybe?
Get a basic soldering kit and a continuity tester (a multimeter) from your nearest diy retailer, watch a few tutorial videos on how to handle the iron, how to do good solder joints, etc. If you have specific questions you can ask here :)

I have no experience, no, but figured this was the opportunity i needed to start to learn it. Already did start to read a few guides, watch videos etc, will hopefully try to solder the cables back on later this week.

Bought the Seaman 2 controller. Might be the ultimate retro gaming pad for those of us that missed the Saturn controller boat. Used Saturn controllers are all pretty beat up, and the USB ones are impossible to find for a decent price.

This thing is USB and feels very solid, if not quite as perfectly shaped as the Saturn pad seems to be. Otherwise though, it has that amazing D-pad, six face buttons, two triggers and even an analog stick. The one I got was totally new for about $20 bucks plus Japan shipping. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Sometimes checking Craigslist religiously pays off. Got a Super Metroid manual today. Not really into manuals or CIB stuff for SNES but ... greatest game of all time, etc etc.....

Rich!

Got a PSone boxed and complete in fantastic condition the other day for really really cheap (under £20). Only issue was, it's PAL and my games are NTSC.

Ordered a mod chip (onechip) which cost $4, £6 total shipped to the UK. Installed it yesterday and it works flawlessly.

D.Lo

I thought I'd try the DS Castlevania games again. I quit after the second back when they came out because they were so samey.

You know what, these are just outright bad games. The level designs suck so bad. The character movement is just an outright chore. The action design is pure garbage (chop chop chop with no strategy required) and is just completely unsatisfying. They play like high budget fan rom hacks.

They're everything bad about SOTN just repeated indefinitely. The graphics are fairly nice but nothing special and they kind of solidified a bland art style for the 'trilogy' (not talking about the character portraits, the in-game graphics are basically identical across the three).

Aria and Circle on GBA I enjoyed, but maybe it was the novelty of them being handheld back then. Circle has better combat design, Aria has very nice graphics for GBA. Harmony is hot garbage, it's the same as the DS games except it looks and sounds like complete shit.

Igarashi really was and is a complete fraud.

Morfeo

I thought I'd try the DS Castlevania games again. I quit after the second back when they came out because they were so samey.

You know what, these are just outright bad games. The level designs suck so bad. The character movement is just an outright chore. The action design is pure garbage (chop chop chop with no strategy required) and is just completely unsatisfying. They play like high budget fan rom hacks.

They're everything bad about SOTN just repeated indefinitely. The graphics are fairly nice but nothing special and they kind of solidified a bland art style for the 'trilogy' (not talking about the character portraits, the in-game graphics are basically identical across the three).

Aria and Circle on GBA I enjoyed, but maybe it was the novelty of them being handheld back then. Circle has better combat design, Aria has very nice graphics for GBA. Harmony is hot garbage, it's the same as the DS games except it looks and sounds like complete shit.

Igarashi really was and is a complete fraud.

You should check out Order of Ecclesia if you havent already. I think that was by far the best handheld Igavania.

Rongolian

Banned
For real? I think this game is awesome :) But i do kinda agree on the others, they are pretty mediocre imo.

I finished the game recently and must agree I thought it was awesome. If you claim to like any 2D Castlevania games, I don't see how you can dislike OoE

I loved all three DS Castlevania games, with OoE easily being my favourite (and probably my favourite Castlevania game since SOTN). I do miss the older CV games though before they all went Metroidvania, I'd probably still rate Dracula X for the PC Engine as my favourite in the series (SOTN misses out since I have to purposely level myself down with crap gear just to make the game any kind of challenge). But I love the atmosphere, music and sheer scale of the game.

That said, I don't think any CV game (including any of the 3D ones) comes close to how bad the arcade version - Haunted Castle was. I was playing that game again this week and managed half of stage 1 before I got pissed off again with it. Your sprite is too damn large and avoiding anything is almost impossible. You take way too much damage as well. Amazing soundtrack though.

D.Lo

The issue I have with the DS games in particular are the same I have with SoTN (detailed here) except that their presentation isn't as good as SoTN.

They're just failures as action games IMO. It is not fun to traverse the environments (floaty walking and jumping make moving a chore), or attack enemies. No platforming challenge, no action challenge. The fun of the games comes from exploring and opening new areas, and they're all far weaker than Metroid games, and many other Metroid style games, in that aspect.

I finished the game recently and must agree I thought it was awesome. If you claim to like any 2D Castlevania games, I don't see how you can dislike OoE
2D Castlevania is a broad church. I was one of the biggest fans ever of the real CV games, before they became Igarashi's Metroid clone production line.

I have a soft spot for Dawn of Sorrow. Yeh I stick with that big axe once I get it, but the souls stuff is still fun.
I think Dawn is the best of the three on DS honestly. I'll finish OOE though I guess.

That said, I don't think any CV game (including any of the 3D ones) comes close to how bad the arcade version - Haunted Castle was. I was playing that game again this week and managed half of stage 1 before I got pissed off again with it. Your sprite is too damn large and avoiding anything is almost impossible. You take way too much damage as well. Amazing soundtrack though.
try the Japanese version, it's much easier, the US version ramps up the difficulty too much. Still pretty clunky, but I've finished it (on the PS2 port).

Lettuce

I purchased a rgb scart cable with csync for a japanese mega drive model 2 [VA0] and decided to hook it up to an lcd tv for the first time, I was glad to see jail bars were not present, but did notice other visual artifacts, I was curious if anyone would be able to give an explanation.

The artifact is present in most games, sonic in particular, on stage 1 I can see what appears to be a afterimage/aura, almost like a shadow outlining the mountain scape and tree tops where they overlap with the blue sky backdrop, unfortunately I'm unable to capture the artifact on camera, but here's a screen grab regardless.

But what's got my puzzled is if I leave the console and tv on for about 15 minutes the artifact all but disappears until I turn the console or tv off for a prolonged amount of time and then the artifact will return. I haven't ruled out this being an issue with the tv set either [Sony KDL42W653] but I don't have access to another display with scart support to test. I'm curious what your thoughts are?

Is it like a smearing ghosting effect where the image of the sprite says visible...if so it could be image retention problem with the LCD

Mupod

Finally got my CRT and old consoles set back up. Genesis looking amazing on RGB. My PS2 controller is all kinds of fucked but that won't stop me from playing light gun games - any suggestions for the guncon2? I have Time Crisis 3 and Resident Evil Dead Aim.

But yeah my PS2 controller has a weird issue where the tops of the analog sticks get 'sticky' on their own over time. I've cleaned it off extensively many times, but every time I dig it back out of storage it's like it's recently had juice spilled on it or something. It'll be covered in hair and all gross. But nothing has EVER been spilled on it, and I took quite good care of it when it was in active use. But I did use it a lot, so is this some kind of horrifying phenomenon related to years of skin oil buildup? Or the rubber deteriorating?

That aside, the d-pad is also screwed up and the down/right inputs don't work. Taking it apart didn't reveal any obvious solution to that problem but I'm sure a dualshock 2 isn't THAT pricey.

I might stop by a retro game store on the way home...I've apparently drove past it multiple times and never noticed it. Not expecting much but surely they'll have a PS2 controller.

Peltz

The issue I have with the DS games in particular are the same I have with SoTN (detailed here) except that their presentation isn't as good as SoTN.

They're just failures as action games IMO. It is not fun to traverse the environments (floaty walking and jumping make moving a chore), or attack enemies. No platforming challenge, no action challenge. The fun of the games comes from exploring and opening new areas, and they're all far weaker than Metroid games, and many other Metroid style games, in that aspect.

2D Castlevania is a broad church. I was one of the biggest fans ever of the real CV games, before they became Igarashi's Metroid clone production line.

I think Dawn is the best of the three on DS honestly. I'll finish OOE though I guess.

try the Japanese version, it's much easier, the US version ramps up the difficulty too much. Still pretty clunky, but I've finished it (on the PS2 port).

Just read your review of SoTN linked in this post.

I thought I was the only one that felt like the game played rather generically. I also agree that it's nowhere near the same league as Super Metroid. Very spot-on analysis in my opinion.

What really adds an additional element of truth to it is that I know you're a major Konami fan.

D.Lo

Got another 'grail' find today - a mint copy of the Game & Watch 'Gold Cliff' complete in box! For a great price since the seller left the 'complete in box' detail to the last picture in the listing lol!

I always wanted to try it, since I'm a sucker for any Amazon/Mayan/Indiana Jones type themed games. And it's a pretty fun little adventure-y thing. And has a 'continue' option, and multi height jumps. Not quite as advanced as the Zelda G&W, but pretty close!

I thought I was the only one that felt like the game played rather generically. I also agree that it's nowhere near the same league as Super Metroid. Very spot-on analysis in my opinion.

What really adds an additional element of truth to it is that I know you're a major Konami fan.
Thanks, yeah I'm an old school Konami fanatic basically. So if I'm saying one of their more revered games is actually pretty bad at its core, you know it's not coming from bias!

Celine

xEZPq8Ql.jpg

Apparently an actraiser 1&2 collection was planned for Saturn, or rumored? Never heard another source on this.

5XDqoFil.jpg

Coverage of the Tokyo game show 96 that mentions metal gear as a follow up to the nes game but also lists it under the n64 section, not playstation. Maybe a misunderstanding but I always heard that mgs was initially planned for n64.

Quintet at first was remaking the first ActRaiser for Saturn in a deal between Sega and Enix.
But during development they choose to create a new game based on similar concept and so Solo Crisis began life.
A curiosity is that in the end Solo Crisis was published by Quintet and not by Sega as expected.

As for Metal Gear on N64, the only connection I can think of is Hybrid Heanen for which isn't clear the ties with MGS.
The game is indeed an hybrid between 3rd person action and RPG (and wrestling):
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1253592

I enjoyed most of the Quintet games I played on SNES. Would have prefered to see Soul Blader/Blazer remake on Saturn than Actraiser, tbh.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really don't like the DS Castlevania games. I love SOTN and AOS.

I was a huge fan of DoS, in particular, when it came out, and thought it was almost as good as SOTN. Playing it again a couple years ago, I realized that, while I still like it... Yeah, it's not even close.

Teknoman

Finally got my CRT and old consoles set back up. Genesis looking amazing on RGB. My PS2 controller is all kinds of fucked but that won't stop me from playing light gun games - any suggestions for the guncon2? I have Time Crisis 3 and Resident Evil Dead Aim.

But yeah my PS2 controller has a weird issue where the tops of the analog sticks get 'sticky' on their own over time. I've cleaned it off extensively many times, but every time I dig it back out of storage it's like it's recently had juice spilled on it or something. It'll be covered in hair and all gross. But nothing has EVER been spilled on it, and I took quite good care of it when it was in active use. But I did use it a lot, so is this some kind of horrifying phenomenon related to years of skin oil buildup? Or the rubber deteriorating?

That aside, the d-pad is also screwed up and the down/right inputs don't work. Taking it apart didn't reveal any obvious solution to that problem but I'm sure a dualshock 2 isn't THAT pricey.

I might stop by a retro game store on the way home...I've apparently drove past it multiple times and never noticed it. Not expecting much but surely they'll have a PS2 controller.

Well my dual shock 2 analogs used to do that all the time, even before they hit retro status, not sure why but it's not uncommon from what I've read.

Morfeo

I think my main gripe with the Igavanias was that they were all too easy. But OoE fixed this by being a much more difficult game. It was also more linear and focused which i thought was a breath of fresh air at the time, and i actually liked the level design. All in all, I am a sucker for all things metroidvania AND Castlevania though, so guess that helps me enjoy these games more.

Thanks for the tip. I have the Japanese version a try and its like night and day, its so much better, I feel like its actually playable now. I need to get the PS2 port when I have a chance, if only I could find one that was priced reasonably!

I think my main gripe with the Igavanias was that they were all too easy. But OoE fixed this by being a much more difficult game. It was also more linear and focused which i thought was a breath of fresh air at the time, and i actually liked the level design. All in all, I am a sucker for all things metroidvania AND Castlevania though, so guess that helps me enjoy these games more.

You read my mind. Difficulty and the linear levels at the beginning of OoE are the main reasons why I loved that game so much. Plus the other awesome thing is that, after all those smaller levels you still have one huge castle to explore. Loved it, even if the final boss was fairly disappointing, its the one thing I give Portrait of Ruin over OoE - is that I loved the final boss in that game, it was a nice twist on the Dracula battle.

dubc35

I'm actually (slowly) playing through OoE right now. Giant enemy crab is kicking my ass right now, lol.

They are all rather the same, OoE being an outlier, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I was playing the Dracula X Chronicles on PSP a while back. Going from the Rondo remake to then playing a bit of SotN, SotN is way easy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Now that I think about it, my biggest problem with the GBA and DS 'Vanias is that the music was constrained by Nintendo's garbage-ass sound hardware. Bad instrumentation, low-fi as hell, etc. There were some good compositions, but portables were the worst thing to happen to the series, especially after a game like SOTN.

Top Bottom