• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Call me crazy but there's something I really like about the unique shittiness of GBA's sound output on real hardware.

But then I also really liked Harmony of Dissonance so maybe I'm just crazy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm actually (slowly) playing through OoE right now. Giant enemy crab is kicking my ass right now, lol.

They are all rather the same, OoE being an outlier, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I was playing the Dracula X Chronicles on PSP a while back. Going from the Rondo remake to then playing a bit of SotN, SotN is way easy.

I love this boss. Feels so good when you finally get him :)

dlauv

Been on a Dreamcast kick lately. Traded SNES Star Fox, Virtua Fighter Kids, Soviet Strike, Final Fantasy XII: Collector's Edition, Ehrgeiz, Kingdom Hearts, Panzer Dragoon, Tomb Raider Saturn, Darius Gaiden, and Madden 96 for the N64 for Sonic Adventure, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 and two energy drinks with 6 bucks store credit to spare. They railed me a bit, but I wanted to clean up some of this plastic that's been lying around for years without mailing everything off individually and waiting for checks to clear for only a pittance more. Blue Stinger, Soul Reaver and Ecco just came in the mail along with a jumper pack. Been playing a lot of Metropolis Street Racer too. Not my favorite Jacques OST but oh well. It's squeaky clean at least. Also one of the surprisingly ugly games in VGA.

I really hope Retrovision finishes that component out cable for the Dreamcast. I'd like to stream it in 480p through elgato without buying an HDMI upscaler. Already have VGA to HDMI as it is.

Edit:

That and Sega Saturn.

?

I'm not sure what benefit you'd get out of using component with 240p. You can use composite and component with elgato HD at any res; but, elgato's main problem is that it doesn't detect HDMI signals below 720x480p. Dreamcast via VGA is 640x480, and many VGA-to-component converters really suck. =[

I picked up some new cleaning supplies this weekend and I can't believe how well the mega drive cleans up, of course scratches and markings are all still there, but under the right lighting this thing looks absolutely pristeen.

Nice! I'll follow this suggestion. My Genesis could use a bit of cleaning for sure...

Teknoman

Been on a Dreamcast kick lately. Traded SNES Star Fox, Virtua Fighter Kids, Soviet Strike, Final Fantasy XII: Collector's Edition, Ehrgeiz, Kingdom Hearts, Panzer Dragoon, Tomb Raider Saturn, Darius Gaiden, and Madden 96 for the N64 for Sonic Adventure, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 and two energy drinks with 6 bucks store credit to spare. They railed me a bit, but I wanted to clean up some of this plastic that's been lying around for years without mailing everything off individually and waiting for checks to clear for only a pittance more. Blue Stinger, Soul Reaver and Ecco just came in the mail along with a jumper pack. Been playing a lot of Metropolis Street Racer too. Not my favorite Jacques OST but oh well. It's squeaky clean at least. Also one of the surprisingly ugly games in VGA.

I really hope Retrovision finishes that component out cable for the Dreamcast. I'd like to stream it in 480p through elgato without buying an HDMI upscaler. Already have VGA to HDMI as it is.

Edit:

?

I'm not sure what benefit you'd get out of using component with 240p. You can use composite and component with elgato HD at any res; but, elgato's main problem is that it doesn't detect HDMI signals below 720x480p. Dreamcast via VGA is 640x480, and many VGA-to-component converters really suck. =[

Dreamcast Component cables need to be a reality.

Peagles

All dem hook ups though!!!

Well it's just the SCART to YUV that's extra I guess since you'll need a way to get VGA outta the DC either way. I don't even use it like that though I just tested it out cos someone here was interested hehe.

Rich!

Took this earlier, thought the filter worked nicely

xAETDkeh.jpg

dlauv

I'm a bit shocked at how much I'm enjoying Blue Stinger. It isn't as strong as Illbleed however and I'm having trouble with the passwords and fish.

It's really filling in that Dead Rising/Raw Danger kind of hole.

Picked up a half dozen early issues of Nintendo Power (all issue #'s in the 20s) for about $2 each at a local flea market today. Been wanting to collect the first 40 or 50 issues since my primary collecting focus is NES, so I figured I might as well start now.

Rich!

Im shocked Nintendo didn't shut it down while in development.

Please don't get me started in this thread too.

That was never going to happen. Ever. Nintendo DO NOT shut down fan projects unless they are intended to make a profit or directly compete with their projects. Almost EVERY example of a C&D in the past has been due to basic piracy (SMB web remake) or due to the developer lying and using the excuse as a convenient out (oot2d). Iwata even publicly stated their position on fangames too.

And thank fuck we can use this example of Metroid 2 remake in the future to try and stop every fangame thread on GAF from being 90% consisting of "LOL THIS IS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN" driveby shitposts.

dubc35

Ha, sorry sore subject I guess. I have purposely not been active in the other thread so nothing is spoiled. I don't have any past knowledge of Nintendo stopping/not stopping fan made games. It was more of a curious observation that is way overdone I guess. My apologies.

Morfeo

I always thought the original Metroid 2 was a pretty boring game and nowhere near the other games in the series, so i dont really have that much interest in the remake.

Rich!

I always thought the original Metroid 2 was a pretty boring game and nowhere near the other games in the series, so i dont really have that much interest in the remake.

uh

I don't think you understand just how good AM2R is. I'd place it way above Zero Mission and Fusion. If you like metroid, you need to play it. It's the best metroid related release I have played since Metroid Fusion first came out.

it's not just good, it's fucking incredible. and thinking it'll be boring because it's based on Metroid 2 is a hilarious misconception

Morfeo

uh

I don't think you understand just how good AM2R is. I'd place it way above Zero Mission and Fusion. If you like metroid, you need to play it. It's the best metroid related release I have played since Metroid Fusion first came out.

it's not just good, it's fucking incredible. and thinking it'll be boring because it's based on Metroid 2 is a hilarious misconception

So its more than just a graphical update? All new level design and enemies?

Peltz

That was never going to happen. Ever. Nintendo DO NOT shut down fan projects unless they are intended to make a profit or directly compete with their projects. Almost EVERY example of a C&D in the past has been due to basic piracy (SMB web remake) or due to the developer lying and using the excuse as a convenient out (oot2d). Iwata even publicly stated their position on fangames too.

And thank fuck we can use this example of Metroid 2 remake in the future to try and stop every fangame thread on GAF from being 90% consisting of "LOL THIS IS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN" driveby shitposts.

Yeah... about that...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259586

Not a good sign. Hopefully, Nintendo lets the original mirror stay up.

Havoc2049

I'm a bit shocked at how much I'm enjoying Blue Stinger. It isn't as strong as Illbleed however and I'm having trouble with the passwords and fish.

Blue Stinger was one of my Dreamcast launch day games and was the first game on the Dreamcast that I completed. I really enjoyed it and it does have a Dead Rising type vibe to it. The final boss battle is pretty epic.

They tried to deliver my GBA Everdrive this weekend but I wasn't home. I'll get it tomorrow but won't have time to check it out until Wednesday.

Morfeo

Was always curious about this title, guess I need to check it out!

brainpann

I picked up some new cleaning supplies this weekend and I can't believe how well the mega drive cleans up, of course scratches and markings are all still there, but under the right lighting this thing looks absolutely pristeen.

Oooh-that looks good. It painfully reminds me how shabby almost all my retro consoles look. I also had grandiose plans to retrobrite my yellowed consoles but alas, that hasnt happened either.

One day....

Mega

Banned

Sorry, Rich, but Nintendo is being Nintendo.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1259976

Regardless of what they say publicly, they have this reputation for a reason. At least the game is already out in the wild but this still sucks and reinforces their precedent of killing fan projects.

Glowsquid

Unlike the metroid 2 fan remake DMCA, I don't really have a "moral" objection to this. what happened is that someone took scans from a private video game magazine scanning group and dumped them on archive.org. it wasn't legal or anything - it's pretty much the print equivalent of putting a bunch of roms for download*

*of course the comparison isn't perfect because Nintendo isn't offering a way to buy those magazines and the medium has a far shorter shelf life than games, but, you know what I mean, right?

Morfeo

I remember when they unveiled the Wii U, I was thinking they would maybe start a digital magazine on it to replace Nintendo Power - and putting the backlog up for fans. Too bad that never came close to happen :(

With a new Metroid game coming out, I feel like Nintendo feels the need to drop the hammer. Federation Force obviously wasn't developed to scratch the Metroid itch for most and I feel like they may not want their game to be referred to as "the bad one" as opposed to AM2R.

Also, was it square or Nintendo that pulled the plug on the Chrono Trigger 3D remake years ago?

When talking about fan projects, the question "was it square enix or [someone else] that shut it down?" is a very simple one.

It's always square.

Fuck square.

D.Lo

I'm evidently on a different page to most people on this.

IMO Nintendo were totally within their right to kill both those things. The magazines are outright their property, you can't publish the first 20 years of Batman comics online and expect no response and it's the same as that. And the fan game appropriates their trademarks and property (i've played a bunch already and it is packed with Zero Mission tiles and says Metroid and Nintendo explicity in the intro), only plays on a non-Nintendo platform, and is getting quite a lot of press. If they have a Metroid 2 remake as a possibility for the future, this high profile unlicenced game devalues that. They know they can't stop it, but they have to keep stuff like that down in a niche.

I think everyone's just getting so used to stealing/pirating everything. The internet is full of Raspberry Pi this, Everdrive that for playing, among other things, games that Nintendo still has for sale right now on their current consoles. Rationalise it all you like, but IMO they have a right to say 'don't facilitate stealing our property, or using our property without licence in ways that devalue items we currently have for sale, please'.

I know it's difficult. Some stuff is literally inaccessible outside of emulation+piracy (eg some old arcade games, games by defunct companies). But not Nintendo games. Almost every Metroid game is currently for sale on their current consoles.

Rich!

I still feel justified in assuming Nintendo wouldn't shut the project down. They didnt stop it from being made nor released. Saying they didn't know it existed until it launched is implausible - I made a post here stating Baby Park was the best MK track and Bill Trinen almost immediately tweeted a link to the post in agreement. You bet your ass he and others have read the AM2R thread, and that's just here on GAF.

I think the reason they shut it down, an act which is really unprecedented as far as Nintendo and nonprofit fangames go, is because of this:

They expected it to launch and be a nice little diversion for fans. One dude from Argentina working on a little project is fine - the interest could even work in their favour towards pushing Federation Force sales. Only....that's not what happened. The game launched, and got near unprecedented cover and acclaim around the internet to the point of numerous fans and publications outright stating AM2R is better than anything Nintendo could ever make - and many of them essentially offering it as a direct alternative to Federation Force. The game was getting more positive and thorough coverage than expected to the point of it being viewed as the REAL Metroid game out of the two (sad that it's come to this point).

Nintendo didn't act until they realised the game was so good it was making them look bad. And not only that, making their equivalent Metroid product this month seem a joke.

That's why they did what they did. Otherwise, it would still be up.

wasn't there some zelda remake or something that got a take down notice? I don't really follow these sorts of fan projects well so I could be misremembering.

Rich!

wasn't there some zelda remake or something that got a take down notice? I don't really follow these sorts of fan projects well so I could be misremembering.

OOT 2D? Yes, it got one. One that was fabricated by the dev to get out of working on it.

I remember all the drama back then over at acmlm

Top Bottom