• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Maybe that's what I'm remembering. Regardless, given Nintendo's somewhat odd recent past with content creators I can't say I think it's outside the realm of possibility that they'd start shutting down these projects.

Glowsquid

It is kinda insane that in a time where the big japanese publishers are getting less uptight about fan projects, Nintendo is getting *worse*.

Peltz

I'm evidently on a different page to most people on this.

IMO Nintendo were totally within their right to kill both those things. The magazines are outright their property, you can't publish the first 20 years of Batman comics online and expect no response and it's the same as that. And the fan game appropriates their trademarks and property (i've played a bunch already and it is packed with Zero Mission tiles and says Metroid and Nintendo explicity in the intro), only plays on a non-Nintendo platform, and is getting quite a lot of press. If they have a Metroid 2 remake as a possibility for the future, this high profile unlicenced game devalues that. They know they can't stop it, but they have to keep stuff like that down in a niche.

I think everyone's just getting so used to stealing/pirating everything. The internet is full of Raspberry Pi this, Everdrive that for playing, among other things, games that Nintendo still has for sale right now on their current consoles. Rationalise it all you like, but IMO they have a right to say 'don't facilitate stealing our property, or using our property without licence in ways that devalue items we currently have for sale, please'.

I know it's difficult. Some stuff is literally inaccessible outside of emulation+piracy (eg some old arcade games, games by defunct companies). But not Nintendo games. Almost every Metroid game is currently for sale on their current consoles.
I'm with you on this. Maybe it's because I'm an attorney, I see things a bit differently. But I'd do the same thing if I were Nintendo without batting an eyelid.

Peltz

I still feel justified in assuming Nintendo wouldn't shut the project down. They didnt stop it from being made nor released. Saying they didn't know it existed until it launched is implausible - I made a post here stating Baby Park was the best MK track and Bill Trinen almost immediately tweeted a link to the post in agreement. You bet your ass he and others have read the AM2R thread, and that's just here on GAF.

I think the reason they shut it down, an act which is really unprecedented as far as Nintendo and nonprofit fangames go, is because of this:

They expected it to launch and be a nice little diversion for fans. One dude from Argentina working on a little project is fine - the interest could even work in their favour towards pushing Federation Force sales. Only....that's not what happened. The game launched, and got near unprecedented cover and acclaim around the internet to the point of numerous fans and publications outright stating AM2R is better than anything Nintendo could ever make - and many of them essentially offering it as a direct alternative to Federation Force. The game was getting more positive and thorough coverage than expected to the point of it being viewed as the REAL Metroid game out of the two (sad that it's come to this point).

Nintendo didn't act until they realised the game was so good it was making them look bad. And not only that, making their equivalent Metroid product this month seem a joke.

That's why they did what they did. Otherwise, it would still be up.
Rich, that's simply when you excercise your legal rights: When you feel something substantial is actually at stake. Nintendo has no reason to flex its muscle against every little romhack out there. But when something feels like quality, that's when they have every incentive to clamp down.

It's the poor imitators that are most safe, really. And morally, we ultimately want corporations to have the power to protect their IP.

It would've been cool to see Nintendo not interfere, but I have absolutely no problem with them trying to kill off infringing games.

It's kind of an unfortunate area both legally and creatively. Derivation is a huge catalyst for quality product. You can get a lot of mileage when someone wants to improve a concept, but doesn't have to agonize over coming up with their own concept (which, as I'm sure everyone has experienced at some time, is extremely difficult). Additionally, fans aren't slave to strict time restrictions, budget issues, etc. And therefore can produce a product that might be more work for less pay if Nintendo did it themselves.

That said, I empathize. It's completely within their rights to protect their IP, and I understand how difficult it would be to compete with your fans for sales. Especially since fans, as I said, can put out amazing work - I still don't think I'll be buying an official mother 3 English game, since tomatos translation is so fantastic already. So it's tough. Does Nintendo treat the fan projects as competition, defending themselves against infringement? or does Nintendo treat fan projects as an opportunity to foster good will in the community and risk the financial loss?

Tough.

KC-Slater

That said, I empathize. It's completely within their rights to protect their IP, and I understand how difficult it would be to compete with your fans for sales. Especially since fans, as I said, can put out amazing work - I still don't think I'll be buying an official mother 3 English game, since tomatos translation is so fantastic already. So it's tough. Does Nintendo treat the fan projects as competition, defending themselves against infringement? or does Nintendo treat fan projects as an opportunity to foster good will in the community and risk the financial loss?

Tough.

I'm not sure how Nintendo has responded to such situations in the past -- Gaf tells me that they were typically ignored, so as to not even validate their existence (whether that was the case or not.) I think it's also worth considering the current climate that AM2R has been released in -- Nintendo has little to go on but their brand good will at this point. The Wii U was a commercial failure and the 3DS never lived up to the legacy of the DS, commercially. They are sort of coasting by on dribs and drabs of hardware/software/amiibo-sales, odd one-offs (NES Classic Mini) and licensing deals.

Nintendo's branding and nostalgia is sort of all they have right now, until they release another successful product. It's no wonder that they are doubling-down on protecting their IP.

I just don't understand going there. Metroid 2 is an old game, it's certainly different than the other games in the series, but I really like it in it's original form. It doesn't need a remake, and I've always thought that about every one of these projects that's come up over the years.

If you're going to go ahead and make a Metroid clone, why not just go the Axiom Verge route and make your own setting, characters, and art? Stealing it like this just seems like a waste of your time.

Rich!

I'm not a lawyer, but I went up against the HMRC self representing in a tribunal and then the high court and won

i'd make a shite ip lawyer though

I just don't understand going there. Metroid 2 is an old game, it's certainly different than the other games in the series, but I really like it in it's original form. It doesn't need a remake, and I've always thought that about every one of these projects that's come up over the years.

If you're going to go ahead and make a Metroid clone, why not just go the Axiom Verge route and make your own setting, characters, and art? Stealing it like this just seems like a waste of your time.
Yeah this is true. At some point why not just make your own game?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
We're a dime a dozen.

But don't be a lawyer, NormalFish -- lawyers are shitty people and the legal profession is intolerably boring. I'm technically a lawyer, but upon graduating, I said "fuck that" and went into video games. I do use the legal skill set, but I was extraordinarily lucky to get into what I do now. Most lawyers aren't. But they're shitty people, so sucks to their assmar.

How about that Sega Saturn, guys?

Rich!

I have a bachelor of arts degree in interactive design (programming, human to tech interaction)

I ended up working in finance.

BTails

I have a bachelor of arts degree in interactive design (programming, human to tech interaction)

I ended up working in finance.

We're very similar, Rich. I work in Finance, putting my BA in English Literature and History to good use.

entremet

I wish it was just an indie game, with unique art and IP. Metroid is dope, but I would love to obtain this game without Nintendo's meddling.

Anth0ny

everything is safe until it blows up

project m was safe... until people were playing project m on streams alongside melee and smash 4, and nintendo had a new smash game to sell. that game got a TON of mainstream press and attention too... wasn't until smash 4 came out that nintendo shut the whole thing down, though.

this metroid 2 remake is the same deal. releasing it the same month as a new metroid game is probably why nintendo took such exception to it.

everything is safe until it blows up

project m was safe... until people were playing project m on streams alongside melee and smash 4, and nintendo had a new smash game to sell. that game got a TON of mainstream press and attention too... wasn't until smash 4 came out that nintendo shut the whole thing down, though.

this metroid 2 remake is the same deal. releasing it the same month as a new metroid game is probably why nintendo took such exception to it.

new 2D metroid confirmed

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
But don't be a lawyer, NormalFish -- lawyers are shitty people and the legal profession is intolerably boring. I'm technically a lawyer, but upon graduating, I said "fuck that" and went into video games. I do use the legal skill set, but I was extraordinarily lucky to get into what I do now. Most lawyers aren't. But they're shitty people, so sucks to their assmar.

Only system plugged into my framemeister these days!

Peltz

Hahaha... I only practiced for a year, myself. I'm still in the legal world, but on the technology side of it now.

I agree, it was intolerably boring. Even as a litigator, I just really didn't care for it.

woodypop

On occasion I'll find a halfway decent game on my visits to Goodwill, but this was kinda random:

46D37520-8F95-4872-AFE4-D6DF1CEAF410_zpsn5zlsisi.jpg

Ikaruga Appreciate DVD. Looks like it has playthroughs of the game at each difficulty level. I'm not a huge fan of the game, but I'm still interested enough to watch this. Thankfully it's region-free, and cost me only $3. It's in immaculate condition, too. Like I said, such a random find.

Peltz

We really need a Retro appreciation thread for Superguns and Consolized arcade systems.

I'd fucking love to have a place to discuss that sort of stuff, but I do not have enough knowledge about it write the OP. It would be were we could discuss setups, configurations, and just generally what we are playing. People with arcade cabinets can also post in there as well to discuss their projects and pickups.

Does anyone want to step up and create one? I feel like it's totally foreign to me and a lot of other retro gaffers (which is a big reason why we need a thread on it). I would not be a good candidate to be the OP due to my total lack of knowledge.

Khaz

I'd be down for an Arcade-GAF OT. I wouldn't post much in it but one of my long-term goals is to get a CPS2 and mod it for TV output and controllers.

Peltz

Literally, anyone who has a Supergun would be a better candidate than me. I only have a Consolized MVS and have no idea how superguns truly work.

Anth0ny

Capcom fucked up releasing HDR instead of an arcade perfect home port of ST last gen imo

I know -_-

the fact that an arcade perfect port of ST still doesn't exist boggles the mind. the closest we've got is... the dreamcast version? I know there's a version on PS2 as a part of a Capcom collection?

I just want to use my 360 TE stick on a consolized CPS2. I know that dude on SRK makes exactly what I want, but apparently he's way behind on requests. I wish a project like this could be worked on by a team/company of some sort so we can get more of them. I'm sure the demand is there, CPS2 games are some of the most iconic/replayable of all time!

KC-Slater

We really need a Retro appreciation thread for Superguns and Consolized arcade systems.

I'd fucking love to have a place to discuss that sort of stuff, but I do not have enough knowledge about it write the OP. It would be were we could discuss setups, configurations, and just generally what we are playing. People with arcade cabinets can also post in there as well to discuss their projects and pickups.

Does anyone want to step up and create one? I feel like it's totally foreign to me and a lot of other retro gaffers (which is a big reason why we need a thread on it). I would not be a good candidate to be the OP due to my total lack of knowledge.

I'd be really in to this as well. I had a rough go getting myself acquainted with Naomi hardware on my own. I don't feel as though I'm ready to start a thread yet, however I'd definitely sub, and actively contribute.

Just do me a solid and give me a heads up before starting the thread so I can grab the remaining Naomi carts I want before this inevitably jacks up the prices.

I'd be really in to this as well. I had a rough go getting myself acquainted with Naomi hardware on my own. I don't feel as though I'm ready to start a thread yet, however I'd definitely sub, and actively contribute.

Just do me a solid and give me a heads up before starting the thread so I can grab the remaining Naomi carts I want before this inevitably jacks up the prices.

Naomi is similar to MVS in the sense that it's cartridge based, right? Are there multi-slot Naomi boards?

KC-Slater

Naomi is similar to MVS in the sense that it's cartridge based, right? Are there multi-slot Naomi boards?

Yes -- the PCBs (games) plug in like carts, and there are only two version of the board (Naomi 1 and Naomi 2, the latter of which is backwards compatible.)

There was also a GDROM drive that plugged in, and games could be loaded on to the hardware from that. (The optical drive would load the entire game in to RAM upfront, so there wasn't any load times beyond the initial loading upfront.)

Later on, newer 'DIMM'-boards (these plug in to the same spot where the game carts did, but allow for additional interfacing options) were released that allowed for networking functionality. This was not in the multiplayer-sense (although Naomi-boards could also to that, via a serial-port incidentally) but allowed for arcade operators to load games to the hardware remotely, essentially making a single Naomi machine capable of running any of the games they had purchased, by resetting it, and loading the game on the fly. The entire process takes about 2 mins to load a new game. (It's pretty awesome being able to play MvC 2 and then jump to Border Down on the same machine) This has since been reverse engineered to allow for a Raspberry Pi to act as the server, and boot games from it. You can have the entire library of games available to you, to run on actual hardware.

This is a bit of an over-simplification (there are certain nuances like necessary I/O boards require to play games that required specific controls, etc.), but all-in-all the Naomi is an incredible piece of arcade hardware. The library is fantastic, and while much of it has been ported to the Dreamcast, it still has some gems trapped on the platform.

I have a Naomi Universal upright cab, as well as a few consolized motherboards. One of the great things about the Naomi is that it has native VGA-output, and you can use a PC PSU to power it (with a little finessing ;) You can even use the Dreamcast controller and keyboard with a few games, as well as the VMU. It's an incredibly interesting piece of hardware, and it truly Sega at their best.

On occasion I'll find a halfway decent game on my visits to Goodwill, but this was kinda random:

Ikaruga Appreciate DVD. Looks like it has playthroughs of the game at each difficulty level. I'm not a huge fan of the game, but I'm still interested enough to watch this. Thankfully it's region-free, and cost me only $3. It's in immaculate condition, too. Like I said, such a random find.

Really cool find. It's a superplay DVD. The purpose was to showcase really good playthroughs of a game, like you said, so as to emulate being able to watch someone else play through a game like you could at an arcade. Which is pretty important for shmups.

There's no real reason to produce them now, with Youtube/NND, but the practice does still hang on.

Just use MAME

If someone is complaining about the differences between the Dreamcast/HDR and the CPS2 version, then they're going to complain about the random slowdown and odd parts of MAME.

The Dreamcast version is fine for 99% of people who like the game, and the HDR version only lacks the old backgrounds.

The arcade ST is always fairly expensive, but that newish CPS2 multi costs about the same and will let you play almost everything on the original motherboard, so that may help ease the price.

Peltz

Mate if your running GroovyMame on a CRT display, its no different from using real hardware, there is no difference
I mean... Sure... I guess.

Playing on the og hardware just feels cooler though even if it's all in my head.

And I don't believe any Gameboy hardware is region locked.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Isnt there also a version for the original Xbox in the Street Fighter Collection? Anybody have any experience with that?

Edit: Talking about Street Fighter 2.

Top Bottom