• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Glowsquid

Nope, though these guys are thinking about it.

"Sega Dreamcast Component Cable

We currently have a very rough, yet working, prototype of a Sega Dreamcast component cable. This was actually the first prototype we ever made that was put into cable form. Depending on levels of interest and the success of our Genesis/SNES component cables, we may turn towards development of a production quality cable.

The main difference between this cable and our other component cables is that this one supports 480p in addition to 240p/480i (288p/576i for PAL).

Why make a Dreamcast component cable when the console already natively supports VGA? Several reasons:

Not all TVs have VGA inputs. Newer, budget HDTVs in particular, have trended towards dropping support for it.
Not all Dreamcast games and software support VGA mode. This requires you to either fiddle with the coding on the disc (IP.BIN bootloader), or drop to s-video or composite video.
Like all our other cables, the signals coming from the console are analyzed and then conditioned for the best possible output."

I believe this is exactly what he was reffering to.

I'd love a Dreamcast component cable. My TV has no VGA inputs and one of my favourite DC games (Airforce Delta) doesn't work in VGA.

Teknoman

"Sega Dreamcast Component Cable

We currently have a very rough, yet working, prototype of a Sega Dreamcast component cable. This was actually the first prototype we ever made that was put into cable form. Depending on levels of interest and the success of our Genesis/SNES component cables, we may turn towards development of a production quality cable.

The main difference between this cable and our other component cables is that this one supports 480p in addition to 240p/480i (288p/576i for PAL).

Why make a Dreamcast component cable when the console already natively supports VGA? Several reasons:

Not all TVs have VGA inputs. Newer, budget HDTVs in particular, have trended towards dropping support for it.
Not all Dreamcast games and software support VGA mode. This requires you to either fiddle with the coding on the disc (IP.BIN bootloader), or drop to s-video or composite video.
Like all our other cables, the signals coming from the console are analyzed and then conditioned for the best possible output."

I believe this is exactly what he was reffering to.

I'd love a Dreamcast component cable. My TV has no VGA inputs and one of my favourite DC games (Airforce Delta) doesn't work in VGA.

Yeah thats what I meant, any updates on that. I really hope they push forward with it.

Celine

I have a sickness.

I'm now building collections for Super Cassette Vision and ZX Spectrum.

What games did you get?

I've thought a few times to start a SCV collection but each time I resolve that it isn't worth the time and money.

televator

I have a sickness.

I'm now building collections for Super Cassette Vision and ZX Spectrum.

Im glad my ilnesess are far less consuming. lol

Right now, my sickness is getting around to building up CIB sets for my favorite games. Super Metroid is gonna cost me, but I think that may be my highest priced target... Thankfully.

D.Lo

What games did you get?

I've thought a few times to start a SCV collection but each time I resolve that it isn't worth the time and money.
Just whatever I can get in box at decent prices. I'll slowly pick stuff up, just Astro Wars, Punch Boy and Baseball to start with. I might do an article comparing old pre-1984 baseball games on everything.

I'll say this, the library isn't of much value (kind of like a 1983-only SG1000) but it is very impressive hardware. Really nice engineering, and shockingly solid (aka lots going on with no flicker) sprite work.

And I'm just a vintage hardware fan. Love it, can't get enough.

Celine

Just whatever I can get in box at decent prices. I'll slowly pick stuff up, just Astro Wars, Punch Boy and Baseball to start with. I might do an article comparing old pre-1984 baseball games on everything.

I'll say this, the library isn't of much value (kind of like a 1983-only SG1000) but it is very impressive hardware. Really nice engineering, and shockingly solid (aka lots going on with no flicker) sprite work.

And I'm just a vintage hardware fan. Love it, can't get enough.
I understand you.
The library isn't bad considering the time when it was released and the small success.
Astro Wars, Comic Circus and the Namco arcade ports seems all fun games.

Teknoman

Really? I guess just seeing ZX Spectrum in the same sentence had me thinking of that level of quality.

On that note, if money was no issue, i'd go all in on MSX2.

D.Lo

Really? I guess just seeing ZX Spectrum in the same sentence had me thinking of that level of quality.

On that note, if money was no issue, i'd go all in on MSX2.
Being a huge Konami fan, I've already gone down that road. MSX2 is definitely the best 80s home computer format for games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've never understood the appeal of the MSX1 or 2. What's so special about the lineup for those systems? I genuinely don't know.

PC-98, though? Now we're talking.

D.Lo

I've never understood the appeal of the MSX1 or 2. What's so special about the lineup for those systems? I genuinely don't know..
Konami.

MSX1 is fairly janky, it's basically a Colecovision/SG1000 with a keyboard. But MSX2 has pretty nice NES level graphics and music.

Yeah PC-98 and X68K are cool too, but I don't have either yet. Japan kicked the west's ass in that era, C64, Spectrum, even Amiga are jank compared to what Japan had.

NDPsycho

Konami.

MSX1 is fairly janky, it's basically a Colecovision/SG1000 with a keyboard. But MSX2 has pretty nice NES level graphics and music.

Yeah PC-98 and X68K are cool too, but I don't have either yet. Japan kicked the west's ass in that era, C64, Spectrum, even Amiga are jank compared to what Japan had.

The Amiga was many things, but you really consider it jank for the time? Might have taken too long to come out with the AGA graphics, but I was pretty blown away when it first came out, especially in comparison to PC's of the day. Audio was always a high point.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Konami.

Yeah, the reverence for the ZX Spectrum is something I understand even less. Now that just seems like straight garbage. like, people wanna talk about how people are into old games cuz of nostalgia? That's one platform where I suspect that's actually the case.

D.Lo

The Amiga was many things, but you really consider it jank for the time? Might have taken too long to come out with the AGA graphics, but I was pretty blown away when it first came out, especially in comparison to PC's of the day. Audio was always a high point.
Talking about the games themselves mostly. I played a lot of C64 and Amiga back in the day at friend's houses. C64 always sucked hard compared to NES etc, but Amiga had good hardware for the time, but was far more expensive than consoles and dated pretty quickly, I mean the 500 was basically a Mega Drive. This also goes for Japanese computers of course. Overall Console > PC in the 80s, by far.

But western developers sucked so much at action games compared to Japan in the 80s. All those janky ass platformers and action games with crap animation and dinky sprites. It's like a hobbyist gaming platform, not a commercial games machine. There's the odd classic, but not many IMO.

I remember this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038682&page=1

And a couple of good posts really summarised the issues:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162307276&postcount=56
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162278671&postcount=49

Yeah, the reverence for the ZX Spectrum is something I understand even less. Now that just seems like straight garbage. like, people wanna talk about how people are into old games cuz of nostalgia? That's one platform where I suspect that's actually the case.
Oh yeah I know what I'm getting myself into with the ZX. Early 80s western home PC, aka a rough experience. I basically just want to play the old Rare (Ultimate) games on the original platform is all.

Also the ZX is nice engineering, I like the physical hardware design. I had never seen one in person until I bought one so there's no nostalgia here either.

NDPsycho

I have a hard time liking any of the 8 bit pc's out of anything other than nostalgia, so I'm with you there (and I loved my C64/128). Much like I have a hard time looking at any Atari 2600 games and trying to understand how I had any fun at all.

Not trying to downplay the Sharp or PC 98 with my questioning the Amiga jank comment either. They should be considered better, they cost a hell of a lot more. Jank to me means something broken though, and for the price the Amiga was pretty damn impressive.

NDPsycho

I played a lot of C64 and Amiga back in the day at friend's houses. C64 always sucked hard compared to NES etc, but Amiga had good hardware for the time, but was expensive and dated pretty quickly, I mean the 500 was basically a Mega Drive.

But western developers sucked so much at action games compared to Japan in the 80s. All those janky ass platformers and action games with crap animation and dinky sprites. It's like a hobbyist gaming platform, not a commercial games machine. There's the odd classic, but not many IMO.

I remember this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038682&page=1

And a couple of good posts really summarised the issues:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162307276&postcount=56
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162278671&postcount=49

I agree with you, the arcade ports on Amiga kind of sucked, but I loved a lot of the Psygnosis stuff. I played a lot of western RPG's on mine too, so I wasn't really looking for the other stuff. I had a Genesis for that. The Amiga was pretty cheap compared to the Sharp when they released. I wasn't really trying to compare them. I just didn't think it was jank. :)

D.Lo

I agree with you, the arcade ports on Amiga kind of sucked, but I loved a lot of the Psygnosis stuff. I played a lot of western RPG's on mine too, so I wasn't really looking for the other stuff. I had a Genesis for that. The Amiga was pretty cheap compared to the Sharp when they released. I wasn't really trying to compare them. I just didn't think it was jank. :)
Ha yeah see my edits, I mean the software mostly.

I think I like 'console-like' PCs - small PCs that plug into TVs. I don't really want any more ugly hulking beige boxes. My Panasonic MSX is smaller than many consoles (smaller than an Atari VCS or Colecovision for example, including the built-in keyboard).

Teknoman

October is gonna be here pretty soon. Any banner skilled (or not so skilled) people want to take a crack at the 4th annual GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread banner?

The last 3 years for example:

PURl0Zt.png

5zf66Xd.png

0nB8KcP.png

This weekend I spent a bunch of time working on the battery pack for the Virtual Boy I got a year or two ago. I got it at a good deal since they weren't sure it still worked or not. It didn't when I got it, and it seemed to be because of batteries having been left in the battery pack and them making a mess in there. I had originally cleaned all the parts I could see till they looked shiny and new but it still wouldn't turn on. I don't know what made me, but this weekend I got the bug to work on it again and this time just dropped the whole thing into some vinegar and left it sit for an hour or two. Rinsed it off, let it dry, and BAM working Virtual Boy!

I played some Wario and Mario Tennis and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed by them both. I feel like the system had a shit ton of potential that because it didn't sell well it never reached. Wario was really impressive to me, the way they handled the sprites having depth to them gives it this really cool effect. Obviously it's just multiple sprites set to different depths to make wario and other characters, but it just worked so well.

I really need to get a flash cart for this thing so I can try the Street Fighter and Mario Kart homebrew games for it.

Over the weekend I also went to a Toy Convention here in NJ with a friend and managed to find some decent game deals. I finally got a GC Memory Card 1019 for 3 bucks, and got really nice condition copies with manual of 8 Eyes, and Faxanadu for NES for 8 bucks each. Also traded my Panasonic FZ-1 3DO with a friend for one of his FZ-10s. Which I plan on 240p and RGB modding it.

D.Lo

October is gonna be here pretty soon. Any banner skilled (or not so skilled) people want to take a crack at the 4th annual GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread banner?

PM'd

I had a fun idea and have a pretty sweet draft already done lol.

-KRS-

Got the Racing the Beam book in the mail yesterday but I'm currently swamped with schoolwork so I'll have to wait with my impressions of it until later. I can say it's much thinner than I Am Error though so it shouldn't take that long to read when I do get time for it.

Has anybody ever done retrobrite on something like a NES/Fami dog bone controller or white Saturn controller?

I'm worried it will weaken the plastic and ultimately cause it to break. These controllers are made from fairly thin shells and of course get subjected to 10x as much physical force as console shells.

BTails

Oh man, I'm so excited for 31 Nights of Horror. That means horror games and pumpkin beer! I plan on playing Sweet Home this year.

Khaz

I've been reminded of Phantasmagoria so it'll probably be it. It's a DOS game and there are a no-CD and 1 DVD options so I won't have to juggle with the seven discs. I may even play it on my DOS computer if it's completed by then! At the very least it works fine in DOSBox and ScummVM.

i while back i got a game that smelled like tobacco. i was talking to televator and a few others asking for tips how to get rid of the smell. taking their advice,
i got some non spill baking soda fridge packs and shoved in the front + back artwork and manual into a leftover resealable korean snack bag called honey twist bc i was too lazy to go to the store and buy ziplock baggies.
MP1sNxuh.jpg

aL4XU9vh.jpg

i left them in there for a few months and forgot about it. i opened it up and the smell was completely gone! and now back in the case they go =)
in addition: got a few retro retro games this weekend.

i felt like playing Adventure and Pitfall II and actually finishing it bc i never did own a 2600 and could never finish these at my friends house =)

televator

i while back i got a game that smelled like tobacco. i was talking to televator and a few others asking for tips how to get rid of the smell. taking their advice,
i got some non spill baking soda fridge packs and shoved in the front + back artwork and manual into a leftover resealable korean snack bag called honey twist bc i was too lazy to go to the store and buy ziplock baggies.
MP1sNxuh.jpg

aL4XU9vh.jpg

i left them in there for a few months and forgot about it. i opened it up and the smell was completely gone! and now back in the case they go =)

in addition: got a few retro retro games this weekend.

i felt like playing Adventure and Pitfall II and actually finishing it bc i never did own a 2600 and could never finish these at my friends house =)

Fantastic! I really felt like somethimg like that would be effective. People underestimate the power of adsorption. :p

If a smell can put into an object, then science can get it out via some reversal process.

What's a fair price to offer someone for old issues of Nintendo Power? A few bucks each? maybe a bit more for earlier ones? Talking within the first 60 issues here.

Teknoman

Fantastic! I really felt like somethimg like that would be effective. People underestimate the power of adsorption. :p

If a smell can put into an object, then science can get it out via some reversal process.

"With our patented destanking process..."

Could the same thing work on a larger scale say, with a file cabinet and box of baking soda?

PM'd

I had a fun idea and have a pretty sweet draft already done lol.

Coming along nicely too.

Oh man, I'm so excited for 31 Nights of Horror. That means horror games and pumpkin beer! I plan on playing Sweet Home this year.

I'll be playing through Sweet Home around that time as well. I've never played it before so I'm very much looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Teknoman

lol touche.

EDIT: I think im gonna start recording and uploading JRPG playthroughs of the ones that are somewhat more obscure/received translation patches. 60 fps uploads if only for posterity.

dlauv

This would be so good. Currently, I'm using a generic Dreamcast VGA cable to connect to a VGA-to-HDMI converter, by Monoprice (best quality I've found so far), to an HDMI-to-Component converter, by Yōk (best quality I've found so far), which is connected to an Elgato HD for streaming.

VGA-to-HDMI-to-Component-to-HDMI, basically. There is, at least, no discernible input lag whatsoever on my 2ms monitor.

It's about 100 extra bucks I didn't want to spend tho. And I went through Monoprice's own VGA-to-Component converter, which really sucked, plus a bunch of low quality, cheap-o Ebay crap. So, 200 bucks probably.

Was there a disclaimer on the listing saying photo may not represent specific item that they ship? If not, check with the ebay resolution center.

Was there a disclaimer on the listing saying photo may not represent specific item that they ship? If not, check with the ebay resolution center.

the serial numbers match, that is the same console, provided it cleans up well I'll keep it, but I will be pushing for at least a partial refund.

Galdelico

I'm sure a good scrub will remedy most of that, but jesus christ those listing photos were misleading. D :

I was one of those recommending against buying from Yamatoku, until a couple of months ago - based on the amount of negative feedbacks they seem to receive on a regular basis - but I found them being still pretty good, actually.

One advice I'd suggest any collector to follow, when shopping from that store, is to systematically avoid anything isn't listed as in 'like new' conditions. Even 'good' items seem at risk of glaring cosmetic imperfections, sometimes (and if you read their descriptions, they state it pretty clearly). Not that you could've gone too CSI, with that tiny, grainy picture (I can barely see the writing in their photo, even knowing where to look at), so yeah... You can't really blame yourself for that. Hope it works fine, of course, and that you'll get your refund.

D.Lo

Hmm yeah I think you got accidentally screwed there. It would definitely be the same console, but was just not a useful photo in the end.

Yamatoku is a huge recycle group, and do things in a rigid way. The photo was just done in an highly lit environment and was then compressed in such a way that the flaws just happened to be hidden I'm guessing. Though that writing may have been done after the photo, it came off a label or something maybe.

It used to be pot luck with Famicom consoles with them, because their rigid photos from above and the front didn't show the front of the controllers, which are the hardest wearing part of a Fami.

I've probably bought 10k worth of stuff from them over the last decade lol, they're generally pretty good overall.

Bamboo

I asked at the N64 thread, but had no luck. Maybe someone here knows more, maybe not?!

Recently bought a used N64 on ebay with a bunch of games and 4 controllers. I want to / have to replace the joysticks of at least three of them. I have no experience at all, but after looking at some tutorials on youtube, it doesn't look all that hard. Any recommendations on which replacement sticks to buy? Based in Germany if that changes anything.

This is the top product on amazon:
Link
or how about this one? no reviews so far :/
Link

Any other tips?

I've probably bought 10k worth of stuff from them over the last decade lol, they're generally pretty good overall.

It wouldn't be, like, weird at all if I just planned a vacation to Australia and maybe, like, just happened to end up at your place ... would it?

IrishNinja

sheepyguy i wanna go to your house, man...that looks fantastic!

also ARE Y'ALL READY FOR SOME FOOOOOTBALLLLLL

in! thinking i'll finally do D this year, maybe finish REmake on the PS4 collection disc. a few friends wanna do a Clock Tower (SNES) run through soon as well!

Top Bottom