• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Bogeypop

I received a Super Famicom from yamatoku-classic this morning, thought I had grabbed a bargain, it looks to be a 1chip and the condition of the console was rated 2 [consoles are rated from 1 - 5, 1 being like new]

The listing photo looked promising

but what arrived was

I'm sure a good scrub will remedy most of that, but jesus christ those listing photos were misleading. D :

When did you order it and how long did it take to arrive? I myself purchased a 1-Chip Super Famicom from another prominent Japanese eBay seller, Hit-Japan, that was listed as "B" condition, and have been worried the photos will also not be indicative of its actual condition. It's been about three weeks and tomorrow is the last day for its "estimated delivery". Tracking information hasn't been updated for about two weeks now.

Teknoman

sheepyguy i wanna go to your house, man...that looks fantastic!

also ARE Y'ALL READY FOR SOME FOOOOOTBALLLLLL

in! thinking i'll finally do D this year, maybe finish REmake on the PS4 collection disc. a few friends wanna do a Clock Tower (SNES) run through soon as well!

I'm thinking Ghouls n Goblins Genesis, Either X files PS2 or just go RE2 for old times sake, and Gremlins 2 in there somewhere. Of course I still want to go in on Sweet Home, and I haven't finished any Fatal Frame.

When did you order it and how long did it take to arrive? I myself purchased a 1-Chip Super Famicom from another prominent Japanese eBay seller, Hit-Japan, that was listed as "B" condition, and have been worried the photos will also not be indicative of its actual condition. It's been about three weeks and tomorrow is the last day for its "estimated delivery". Tracking information hasn't been updated for about two weeks now.

I've ordered a bunch of times from Hit-Japan and everything has come exactly as pictured from them. Least for the things I've ordered. What method did you ship and where was the last tracking update?

I've only ever run into one problem, and it was USPS misplacing it for like 10 days. As soon as I filed a Hey where the fuck is my package thing (through USPS), suddenly it was found and got to me like 2 days later.

Bogeypop

I've ordered a bunch of times from Hit-Japan and everything has come exactly as pictured from them. Least for the things I've ordered. What method did you ship and where was the last tracking update?

I've only ever run into one problem, and it was USPS misplacing it for like 10 days. As soon as I filed a Hey where the fuck is my package thing (through USPS), suddenly it was found and got to me like 2 days later.

It was free economy shipping according to the listing or Registered Mail according to USPS. Last update from Japan Post tracking was "08/16/2016 06:00 Dispatch from outward office of exchange" and from USPS itself was "August 16, 2016 6:00 am Processed Through Facility TOKYO INT D, JAPAN" and "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment".

I was just about to file a "Where is my Package?" but it requires knowing the sender's address information which I don't have. I can check a box for Sender Unkown, but I'm wary as it lists the state as District of Columbia and some random Zip Code. I'll try anyways, and see what happens.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wish I had a 1 Chip Super Famicom. ): Considering getting a SNES JR modified since getting a SFC with 1CHIP seems like a really big lottery.

My Capcom collection grows by another game:
irPUNi3.jpg

Glad I was patient on this one. Prices were fairly high on eBay and I ended up scoring a sealed copy for less than the over inflated prices on there. It won't be staying sealed for long though!
I gotta say, playing through Capcom's back catalog has been incredibly fun thus far, both in terms of retro collecting and gameplay. I'm really appreciating retro gaming at the mo with me being in a rut current gen gaming wise... I'm totally bored with open worlds, online gaming etc. and wanted something more single player focused and Capcom's retro games fit the bill.

noquarter

Does anybody have any suggestions for good switch boxes? Looking to get a Component cable one, preferably 4 inputs, and a composite and S Video one. Would like them to be manually switched and non-powered, but would like quality video and audio more.

Thanks for any help!

koopas

irPUNi3.jpg

Glad I was patient on this one. Prices were fairly high on eBay and I ended up scoring a sealed copy for less than the over inflated prices on there. It won't be staying sealed for long though!
I gotta say, playing through Capcom's back catalog has been incredibly fun thus far, both in terms of retro collecting and gameplay. I'm really appreciating retro gaming at the mo with me being in a rut current gen gaming wise... I'm totally bored with open worlds, online gaming etc. and wanted something more single player focused and Capcom's retro games fit the bill.
Love the cover art for this release

irPUNi3.jpg

that looks beautiful.

Yeah, I'm really loving the boxart design for the game. It has a "realistic" style to the character design on the front box but doesn't look hideous like some of the early Euro/American Mega Man games. Just wish I'd had realised that Supergrafx was its own beast, as I don't have the console yet so I have no means of actually playing this or 1941 when I get my hands on it! So I'm currently trying to track down an affordable Supergrafx for my collection.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Speaking of that series, I recently won a boxed copy of the Famicom version of Makaimura and I'm not sure if I want to sell off my NES version or keep both. Hmm.

Rydeen

Yeah, I'm really loving the boxart design for the game. It has a "realistic" style to the character design on the front box but doesn't look hideous like some of the early Euro/American Mega Man games.

The "realistic" box art isn't hideous because the artist is Japanese :)

It's by Yoshikazu "Yaz" Yasuhiko, who was the head character designer on Gundam and directed some of the best episodes, and directed anime movies like Crusher Joe and Venus Wars, the latter of which was based on his manga. Very naturalistic character designs and style, not as exaggerated as other manga-ka.

D.Lo

So I just played some Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania on my Famicom.

Nothing new there, but it occurred to me...

I'm playing Akumajou Dracula FDS:

• with a wireless 8bitdo Famicom controller
  • via an FDS drive emulator (FDSStick)
  • on my RGB modded Famicom
  • connected a Framemeister upscaling it to my 50" 4K TV

We live in cushy times lol

it looks like the Borg took over that nes =)

Anth0ny

not the true experience unless you play it on a shitty crt with a famicom that has the controllers hardwired to it

D.Lo

not the true experience unless you play it on a shitty crt with a famicom that has the controllers hardwired to it
That was how I first played it.

Not true, I first played it through on the PAL NES version (though still over RF to a crappy TV), but in the late 90s when I got my FDS I played it like that

There is too much awesomeness in this post. I want basically that setup too so bad.

Nice! The dream. It really is a great time to be into this stuff, provided you have the means. I know you have all original equipment, too. Curious - do you switch back to CRTs or anything much? And I know you have tons of FDS disks - but do you prefer the FDSStick for convenience and to preserve the originals?

Also, I really wish those wireless controllers had an authentic button layout but I suppose they are unlikely to ever offer something like that because it's like a niche within a niche...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
irPUNi3.jpg

My goodness that's beautiful, congrats. And I agree, I love CPS1 / 2 era Capcom.

D.Lo

Nice! The dream. It really is a great time to be into this stuff, provided you have the means. I know you have all original equipment, too. Curious - do you switch back to CRTs or anything much? And I know you have tons of FDS disks - but do you prefer the FDSStick for convenience and to preserve the originals?

Also, I really wish those wireless controllers had an authentic button layout but I suppose they are unlikely to ever offer something like that because it's like a niche within a niche...
Yeah I have a PVM I use sometimes. It's set up with my MSX and NES right now (for light gun), and I use it for Mark III and Famicom 3D games too. But most consoles are on the big TV via Framemeister, it's just more convenient and a huge screen.

I think I probably prefer the original disks to FDSStick, they're just a super fun format to use, and yeah I have like 100 FDS games lol. But FDSStick is a cool novelty and super cheap.

And yeah hopefully they release a pad with the original layout - I've spoken with them on Facebook asking for it! Right now the pros (perfect wireless) outweight the cons (the diamond layout) but would be great to have perfection! The SNES one is basically perfection since it's a near perfect replica.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I'm feeling like that's barely a faithful experience anymore...and I hate that I've become such an elitist. Fuck.

I want the SNES pads, an SD2SNES and the HD Retrovision component cables (which will work on my plasma quite well). Then I'll be baller status in my living room. I'll still keep another SNES in my basement PVM setup with real carts and wireless controllers. Best of all worlds. Just takes $$$$$...

BTails

So, your post did it. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a RAM cart and an FDS stick. Found a great deal on a RAM cart on eBay, with pictures good enough to show that it was one of the later "rough" models that'll work with my AV Famicom.

All in, including shipping, I paid $65 CAD for the RAM cart and the FDS stick. Not bad!!

D.Lo

I'm feeling like that's barely a faithful experience anymore...and I hate that I've become such an elitist. Fuck.
That's more like... period-accurate fetishism? Which I can understand as well. In which case for period accurate Akumajou Dracula, you're talking RF-only.

But this is real Famicom hardware and real FDS hardware. 100% accurate gameplay, it's just the controller, what feeds the FDS RAM its data, and video output that have been upgraded.

So, your post did it. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a RAM cart and an FDS stick. Found a great deal on a RAM cart on eBay, with pictures good enough to show that it was one of the later "rough" models that'll work with my AV Famicom.
Haha nice one.

I think needing the rough RAM adapter one is for a late model of non-AV Famicom, and is super rare. I've been using a smooth RAM adapter in my AV Fami for 20 years, and have had a few other FDSes and Famicoms and they all worked together perfectly.

IrishNinja

i mean
those sticks alone

Sega was a weird company.

the best kind of weird

it looks like the Borg took over that nes =)

haha can't unsee!

She has to stretch her arms way out cause that cord is like 4 inches long.

i feel like if they fucked around & did that to the US NES, no parents in the day would've been able to bitch about sitting made close to the TV like i like to do

I posted this in the N64 thread but a cool development. The US 64DD drive, as well as a blue 64DD development drive have both had their firmwares dumped. Along with some dev software tester thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-fs1COgr0

really cool to see, excited for what comes of this

Rydeen

Does anybody in here know what kind of paper stock is best for reprinting Master System / Genesis / Mega Drive inserts? I ask because I have copies of Bare Knuckle III and Magical Hat with cart and instructions, but in a generic clamshell and I'd like to print them out on the stock closest to the original that Sega used.

IrishNinja

honestly i forget what stock i used at kinko's but it wasn't super heavy; bear in mind the case's gloss does most of the work, as long as the colors/cut/etc are right

BTails

Haha nice one.

I think needing the rough RAM adapter one is for a late model of non-AV Famicom, and is super rare. I've been using a smooth RAM adapter in my AV Fami for 20 years, and have had a few other FDSes and Famicoms and they all worked together perfectly.

Oh well, better safe than sorry! Looks like it's in really good condition though, so that's a plus.

Now I'll need FDS recommendations! Looks like there's some pretty good Konami exclusives: plus, they always used expansion audio really well, so the soundtracks will be a treat.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bleh, I hate itchy eBay trigger fingers where you bid on something for more than it's worth and immediately hate yourself afterward.

Oh well.

koopas

Now I'll need FDS recommendations! Looks like there's some pretty good Konami exclusives: plus, they always used expansion audio really well, so the soundtracks will be a treat.
Miracle of Armana is one of my favourites. Hell, it's the only FDS game that I own (sealed ftw).

koopas

That's the Indiana Jones meets Bionic Commando one, right? Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out!
Yeah it might very well be the best exclusive on the system, Konami or otherwise. Takes full advantage of the additional sound capabilities as well.

D.Lo

Oh well, better safe than sorry! Looks like it's in really good condition though, so that's a plus.

I tried to find one of my various lists of FDS recommendations, I found this one about the Konami games:

http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost.php?p=181557819&postcount=7128

I have full reviews of a bunch of them on HG101 and my site, eg:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aisenshinicol/aisenshinicol.htm
https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/...ki-the-miracle-of-armana-famicom-disk-system/

koopas

I tried to find one of my various lists of FDS recommendations, I found this one about the Konami games:

http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost.php?p=181557819&postcount=7128

I have full reviews of a bunch of them on HG101 and my site, eg:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aisenshinicol/aisenshinicol.htm
https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/...ki-the-miracle-of-armana-famicom-disk-system/

Arumana no Kiseki (Miracle or Armana) + Bio Miracle Uppa are legit. I remember bootlegs of Bio in the early nineties titled "baby Mario" which happened to be my first run in with the game.

Rydeen

Yeah it might very well be the best exclusive on the system, Konami or otherwise. Takes full advantage of the additional sound capabilities as well.

Eh, gonna object here. I have the game, and I enjoy it, but there's really weird hit detection issues when jumping / walking onto a moving platform that is throughout the game and makes it more frustrating to play than it should be. It's hard to explain unless you actually play it, but it's a huge detractor, enough that I could see that being the reason Konami didn't release it in North America.

You can kind of see it in this playthrough video here, I time coded it so it's where platform shenanigans occur:

https://youtu.be/tFJ6kDncKeE?t=4m39s

Best Konami FDS exclusive is Ai Senshi Nicol / Love Warrior Nicol, I would've loved this game had it come out on the NES back in the day, and it's all in English!

https://youtu.be/SqSSd6hW1Pk

Plays like the top-down parts of Blaster Master, but better. If you like the that or Guardian Legend check it out.

Top Bottom