• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

hi all, i just got from retro store that was open labor day and found this:

nDda53Yl.jpg

4PXTjTUl.jpg

ZiaccIBl.jpg

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Played through my meager N64 collection this evening and decided I don't really have any major attachment to any of the games I own, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and throw it up on eBay.

I've been going through a major destash recently as it seems.

Yawnny

Played through my meager N64 collection this evening and decided I don't really have any major attachment to any of the games I own, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and throw it up on eBay.

I've been going through a major destash recently as it seems.

Will you be selling your system as well?

Laws00

The latest Retro Gamer Bookazine. These are just sets of old Retro Gamer articles in a larger magazine format, with a nicer content/price ratio than a normal Retro Gamer issue. This one is the all Sega, mostly from Master System to Dreamcast.

I managed to get it at an Indigo in Canada so you might be able to find it locally.

I have just about every retro gamer bookazine, and mag they put out. I don't know why but every time I look at them I think to myself why am I buying these things?

I have game players, gamepro, Next Generation Magazine articles on said games maybe, maybe not on half all the way from the 80s to the 90s. I just feel jaded sometimes.
For some reason I don't like get the revised editions.

I have just about every retro gamer bookazine, and mag they put out. I don't know why but every time I look at them I think to myself why am I buying these things?

I have game players, gamepro, Next Generation Magazine articles on said games maybe, maybe not on half all the way from the 80s to the 90s. I just feel jaded sometimes.
For some reason I don't like get the revised editions.

I normally don't like magazines... too much cruft, too many ads, too much ZX Spectrum in the case of normal issues of Retro Gamer. This bookazine is great! Just way more focus.

IrishNinja

I normally don't like magazines... too much cruft, too many ads, too much ZX Spectrum in the case of normal issues of Retro Gamer. This bookazine is great! Just way more focus.

its funny, EGM (especially when it got phonebook sized before splitting off to a 2nd mag) had TONS of ads, but i dig going through em too, you're reminded of so many games no one talks about, haha

and man i love the balls off RG but you're not wrong, there's so much on amiga, ZX & the like that i appreciate but is largely wasted on me

Bogeypop

Finally got my Super Famicom in the mail (was late by 3 days which isn't too bad). Unfortunately I lost the roulette, and despite being in the correct serial number range it was not a 1Chip. The listing has a 30 days money back, buyer pays return shipping, but I got free shipping. Unless I can negotiate getting another Super Famicom from the seller so long as I ship this one back or something I'll end up losing money. I've been watching Super Famicom listings for the last month or so, and have seen less than 5 being sold that match the serial number range though I don't think they were being sold by the same person and were much more expensive than what I paid for due to being a complete set with controllers, etc. If I do end up getting another one I'll ask if they can open it and check for themselves. I just didn't bother doing so the first time since I assumed being Japanese sellers they wouldn't understand much English,

Hey guys, about a week or so ago, a GAF user posted an app he made to catalog games.

Anyone know what that was? I was thinking about trying it out.

Gamevault?

backloggery?

It was Gamevault. Thanks guys.

Microsoft Excel?

Hey, I was using excel, but since I don't have it legitimately, I switched to apache office or something, and it quadrupled the text in each field and other weirdness, when opening my collection file.. What a pain.
I'd use google sheets but I don't have internet access at home.

edit: Say, that looks pretty good, Irish.

Laws00

You don't want to see my Retro gamer magazine collection......ugh lol

After looking through these I can honestly say the only books I actually like are the video game hardware books and the Atari and , Amiga, Spectrum ones because I know diddly squat about any of those consoles. The other ones I lived through those eras. Maybe a game or three I missed that they might bring here and there that i'd youtube to see if its interesting

D.Lo

Here's a hilarious piece of retro 'journalism':

Rolling Stone: How 'Super Metroid' Defined an Era and Inspired a Generation of Game Makers'

"Super Metroid flipped conventions on their head, confronting the player with a terrifying boss at the beginning rather than the end of the game. It let players briefly experience the thrill of starting out with the powers you'd normally acquire over the course of the game, then it stripped them away, forcing you to slowly rebuild your arsenal."

Yeah nah bro that's Metroid Prime. You write an article about a single game that can be finished in two hours and haven't even played it recently.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I need that Playstation book.

There was also one with SNES and Genesis that I missed out on (was gonna buy it, but passed... came back the next day, and it was gone.) They do tend to be really good, though. And it's nice to see a Retro Gamer publication that doesn't waste any time on bullshit like the ZX Spectrum.

I need that Playstation book.

GameSpite's book is also pretty cool, hardcover or softcover.

And it's nice to see a Retro Gamer publication that doesn't waste any time on bullshit like the ZX Spectrum.

Yeah that was my reaction when I saw that Sega book.

The last one I bought was like 50% ZX Spectrum, it was kinda insane. Finish flipping past 12 pages of ZX wankery, oh finally a page about a PS1 game, oh wait now they're gushing over an isometric Amstrad game.

D.Lo

The last one I bought was like 50% ZX Spectrum, it was kinda insane. Finish flipping past 12 pages of ZX wankery, oh finally a page about a PS1 game, oh wait now they're gushing over an isometric Amstrad game.
Poms love that ZX so much...

Having never had one, I do look the look of Spectrum games. Much more than Amiga, which the poms also like, Amiga games generally just look like 'worst of the Mega Drive'.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Fuckin' Amstrad. I forgot about that. There's not a landfill deep enough for all the the dreck the European computer scene churned out.

-KRS-

Hey guys, about a week or so ago, a GAF user posted an app he made to catalog games.

Anyone know what that was? I was thinking about trying it out.

Gamevault?

backloggery?

Microsoft Excel?

Google Sheets!

No one ever mentions rfgeneration.com. I use that as well as a regular spreadsheet. I didn't even hear about it myself until earlier this year. It's a pretty nice website made for managing your collection. Their database is really big, and if something should happen to not be in the database it's very easy to put in a request to add it. It'll usually be approved within a day. Once a game is in the database you can see which members have the game, who wants it, and who's selling it. They also have a whole community forum there that I haven't really interacted with a lot but it seems nice. And there's also an app for it, which also lets you scan games into your collection using the barcodes.

It's apparently been around for years so I'm really baffled that it seems to be talked about so little.

D.Lo

No one ever mentions rfgeneration.com. I use that as well as a regular spreadsheet. I didn't even hear about it myself until earlier this year. It's a pretty nice website made for managing your collection. Their database is really big, and if something should happen to not be in the database it's very easy to put in a request to add it. It'll usually be approved within a day. Once a game is in the database you can see which members have the game, who wants it, and who's selling it. They also have a whole community forum there that I haven't really interacted with a lot but it seems nice. And there's also an app for it, which also lets you scan games into your collection using the barcodes.

It's apparently been around for years so I'm really baffled that it seems to be talked about so little.
Ah, nice work. I just gave it a workout looking for some nice obscure Super Cassette Vision/Famicom Disk/Mark III games and it had them all.

Might give them a go, I've been managing the sets I'm completing in google sheets, but there's a lot of manual management to keep track of the 20 or so complete Mark III games I still have to get, for example.

Khaz

Fuckin' Amstrad. I forgot about that. There's not a landfill deep enough for all the the dreck the European computer scene churned out.

Shut up I loved my Amstrad. Using discs while all you plebs were waiting 20 minutes for that cassette to load.
At least we knew instantly it was a shit game ah

Khaz

I'm using rfgeneration as well, I like it and the app is pretty cool.

Laws00

ahahaha damn
ive just assumed im uncultured swine when all the amiga/etc talk goes on around me, but listen to ya'll

i thought the same thing too.

I know nothing about the amiga or the ZX so it interest me more then the more popular consoles or mid to late 90s ones I grew up with and read about in magazines.

granted i think the graphics look ugly as sin on them but its nice to know where the technology went and died

I'd like for them to do books on PC-engine/Turbo and or Neo Geo one instead of regulating them to magazine spreads

Glowsquid

You fight Super Ridley in the first 2 minutes of Super Metroid. It definitely did that before Metroid Prime did.

super metroid doesn't "strip away" shit, though, which is what I assume he was alluding to.

----

I don't care about the c64 or the zx spectrum but I do have mild interest in the amiga. walker and ruff 'n' tumble look Neat.

I use darkadia dot com to list my gaem collection because I like the presentation and it's easy to add and categorize shit. The database has the occasional errors, ugly pictures or omissions, but it's ok enough for my needs.

Going to +1 Excel or Google Drive. Just way easier to make a simple spreadsheet than deal with the dumb UIs those websites/apps designed for cataloging have, plus way more flexible.

D.Lo

You fight Super Ridley in the first 2 minutes of Super Metroid. It definitely did that before Metroid Prime did.
Evidently you haven't played it recently either.

You start Metroid 3 with NO power ups. The Ridley (not 'super ridley'?) 'fight' is not really a fight just an unlosable interactive cutscene waiting for the trigger for Ridley to run away. The intro to Prime is clearly alluding to the Metroid 3 intro sequence, but is greatly expanded.

Metroid Prime is the game where you start with a bunch of powers and have an actual boss fight that you can lose, and you then lose all the powers before leaving the derelict ship. The reason Prime did this was it was it was the introduction of Metroid to 3D, so you had some of the basic powers in what was effectively a training area so you could learn how the game worked, before a reset to run the course of the standard Metroid formula.

kjacobson

Neo Member
So I apologize as this is (probably) a noob Framemeister question, and I recently picked up an XRGB-mini -- and maybe I'm using it in ways they didn't intend.

So I've got a variety of consoles hooked up with different input methods:

SNES - SCART
Saturn - S-Video
Raspberry Pi/RetroPie - HDMI 1
Wii U - HDMI 2

Problem is, it seems that the settings change for each input, but I'd like to find a way to save it so the settings are locked to each input setting.

For example, I want my Wii U to appear in 1080p because it looks best in 1080, and same with the RetroPie. But for SNES and Saturn, I'd like to set those input methods to use 720p and have Scanlines turned on, with a variety of other settings.

How can I make it so these settings stick and are independent with each input? It seems like I've gotten it to at least be somewhat different before, but I don't know how. I'm running the latest firmware 2.03a, and my unit shipped with 2.02 (I just updated it to be sure - but it didn't seem to make any difference).

Appreciate it!

D.Lo

So I apologize as this is (probably) a noob Framemeister question, and I recently picked up an XRGB-mini -- and maybe I'm using it in ways they didn't intend.

So I've got a variety of consoles hooked up with different input methods:

SNES - SCART
Saturn - S-Video
Raspberry Pi/RetroPie - HDMI 1
Wii U - HDMI 2

Problem is, it seems that the settings change for each input, but I'd like to find a way to save it so the settings are locked to each input setting.

For example, I want my Wii U to appear in 1080p because it looks best in 1080, and same with the RetroPie. But for SNES and Saturn, I'd like to set those input methods to use 720p and have Scanlines turned on, with a variety of other settings.

How can I make it so these settings stick and are independent with each input? It seems like I've gotten it to at least be somewhat different before, but I don't know how. I'm running the latest firmware 2.03a, and my unit shipped with 2.02 (I just updated it to be sure - but it didn't seem to make any difference).

Appreciate it!
Check in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630556

But don't expect too many positive comments about the Raspberry Pi...

Basically though you can save profiles on the latest firmware.

kjacobson

Neo Member
Check in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630556

But don't expect too many positive comments about the Raspberry Pi...

Basically though you can save profiles on the latest firmware.

So I do see the profile part in settings, but does this mean I need to reload a different profile for each input every time I switch - or is there a smart way to make it autoload a profile for each input setting? Appreciate it!

Top Bottom