• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Valcrist0

Neo Member
Retroarch on the Wii via Component to a Sony Trinitron...perfection for 240p.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Wvrbejc.jpg[/IMG]

Lettuce

Atm im force to using glsl based shaders on the openelec build of RetroArch, because of this none of the Parameter options for the shaders work. Regarding the crt-geom glsl shader, does anyone know what line of the script i need to alter to remove the curved screen effect?

And also for crt-easymode, lines of text to alter the..

sharpness Horizontal
mask strength
scanline brightness min
scanline brightness max
brightness boost
Gamma Input
Gamma Output

EasyMode

Atm im force to using glsl based shaders on the openelec build of RetroArch, because of this none of the Parameter options for the shaders work. Regarding the crt-geom glsl shader, does anyone know what line of the script i need to alter to remove the curved screen effect?

And also for crt-easymode, lines of text to alter the..

That's tricky because the glsl shaders were converted using a script, and the results can be hard to read.

Instead, it's probably easier to make the changes you want to the .cg files and then converting them to .glsl yourself. Here's how to do that:

- Install Python if you haven't already (C:\Python will do)
- Install the Nvidia Cg Toolkit
- Copy TheMaister's cg2glsl script to that folder
- Create two subfolders called 'cg' and 'glsl'
- Copy the .cg shaders you want to convert to the 'cg' folder
- Edit them with the changes you want (more on this later)
- In command prompt go to the python folder and run: python cg2glsl.py cg glsl
- The results will be in the 'glsl' folder with the changes you wanted (hopefully)

When editing the cg files for conversion it's not the parameters you want to change, but the settings that start with '#define'. Changing '#define CURVATURE 1.0' to '#define CURVATURE 0.0' should do the trick for crt-geom. '#define BRIGHT_BOOST' etc, for easymode.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just started messing around with this and emulation station as I built a pc for my living room. Is there a way to configure different controller layouts per game system that I'm missing? Using a 360 controller and having to reconfigure what buttons goes where is annoying.

Awakened

Just started messing around with this and emulation station as I built a pc for my living room. Is there a way to configure different controller layouts per game system that I'm missing? Using a 360 controller and having to reconfigure what buttons goes where is annoying.
If you have a nightly build you can make override configs per core and per game to change your mappings. I explain them in more detail in this post. In the newest nightlies the feature has to be enabled in your main config (General Settings section in the UI).

The site is down right now though, so there's nowhere official to grab a nightly build if you don't have one already.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
If you have a nightly build you can make override configs per core and per game to change your mappings. I explain them in more detail in this post. In the newest nightlies the feature has to be enabled in your main config (General Settings section in the UI).

The site is down right now though, so there's nowhere official to grab a nightly build if you don't have one already.

I got the latest stable. Ill check out the nightlies whenever its back up. thx

Lettuce

That's tricky because the glsl shaders were converted using a script, and the results can be hard to read.

Instead, it's probably easier to make the changes you want to the .cg files and then converting them to .glsl yourself. Here's how to do that:

- Install Python if you haven't already (C:\Python will do)
- Copy TheMaister's cg2glsl script to that folder
- Create two subfolders called 'cg' and 'glsl'
- Copy the .cg shaders you want to convert to the 'cg' folder
- Edit them with the changes you want (more on this later)
- In command prompt go to the python folder and run: python cg2glsl.py cg glsl
- The results will be in the 'glsl' folder with the changes you wanted (hopefully)

When editing the cg files for conversion it's not the parameters you want to change, but the settings that start with '#define'. Changing '#define CURVATURE 1.0' to '#define CURVATURE 0.0' should do the trick for crt-geom. '#define BRIGHT_BOOST' etc, for easymode.

Thanks for your detailed post EasyMode!, so rather than using the parameter setting to make changes I need to actually edit the .cg file itself with wordpad for example?

Aku-Audi

What is the most reliable Mame core at this point for RetroArch? And is there a way to import the config files for individual games from the mame folders to work with Retroarch?

Lettuce

Yep. I use Notepad++ for this stuff.

Hm im getting an error.....

C:\Python>python cg2glsl.py cg glsl
Dirpath: glsl
[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
0 shaders converted successfully.
1 shaders failed.
Failed shaders:
cg\crt-geom.cg

any ideas?

Awakened

What is the most reliable Mame core at this point for RetroArch? And is there a way to import the config files for individual games from the mame folders to work with Retroarch?
The MAME 2015 core doesn't really give me any trouble. Though I stopped updating mine since the no nag options broke. I'm waiting for those to be fixed to update it again.

You can copy over cfg and NVRAM files from stand alone MAME into the cfg and nvram folders in Save\mame (or System\mame if you haven't set a save folder). But control changes in the cfg files won't transfer over since RetroArch uses the RetroPad abstraction layer between your controller and MAME. So you'll still have to redo those. I think changes to the audio sliders will come over (I always have to crank QSound games up to 2.00) and BIOS changes like turning on red blood in NeoGeo games is stored in the NVRAM files.

Awakened

There have been some fixes in the glide64 plugin for the Mupen core. Mario's face looks much better, certain effects don't show up behind the background in Kirby 64, and a transition effect before Conker's title screen shows up properly now. All of this is in today's nightly if you want to check it out.

There are some updates for the pixel accurate AngryLion plugin too, but it's still too slow for me. The author wants to focus on speeding it up now, so it's something to watch for.

Radius4

Really want to get in to this for NES and SNES.

How do I exactly go about setting these up though?

Quick instructions:
  • Download a nightly from buildbot.libretro.com
  • Configure your gamepad (once is enough for most cases)
  • Download cores from within RetroArch (core updater)
  • Configure your rompath, save path, etc
  • If you all of this without restarting, quit RetroArch and start it again to refresh the info list
  • Select a core and Load a game (or Load Games directly by using the Detect Core option)
  • Presto!

Burai

shitonmychest57
How do I set CRT-Easymode as my shader? The shader is in the correct directory but there seems no way to load it. I can load CGP files but not CG.

Am I missing something obvious?

vanty

Go down to shader passes and make it 1, set Shader #0 to crt-easymode.cg, filter as Nearest and scale as Don't Care. Then back to the top and Apply. You don't do the preset stuff, that confused me for quite a while.

Radius4

I don't have time tonight, but if you can PM me a build I can probably try it out tomorrow.

Btw I find this approach to override save dir a bit clumsy (lots of micromanagement) so I think I'll make an auto option too that uses the same convention as remaps/overrides (save/nestopia, states/mednafen psx/, etc.) just let me know if this is working as intended first.

Rich!

Thanks! If someone wanted a good GUI front end, where should they look?

I'm not sure, actually. Never needed one. I press the power button on my PC, it boots up, I hit the menu button on my controller which allows me to navigate the start menu screen on Windows 8 (using the nifty xbstart app) and then I can boot straight into retroarch, xbmc or Steam.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Go down to shader passes and make it 1, set Shader #0 to crt-easymode.cg, filter as Nearest and scale as Don't Care. Then back to the top and Apply. You don't do the preset stuff, that confused me for quite a while.

Ah, yes, I see now. Thanks a lot.

Awakened

Thanks! If someone wanted a good GUI front end, where should they look?
HyperSpin, RetroFE and EmulationStation. The first two can look the best if you put the work into getting art for them and find a layout you like best (or create your own!). EmulationStation is easier to setup initially since it has an artwork scraper built in, but it's not as easily themeable.

Rich!

holy shit

the new gbp shader...

quzrjzsbqy.png

pevivqjcic.png

ulpnawtmud.png

vanty

Its in the newest nightly in the handheld shaders folder.
When you get a new nightly what do you need to backup or whatever to keep all your settings and stuff? I went from the stable to a nightly a while ago and just redid everything but I have no interest in doing that again.

Rich!

When you get a new nightly what do you need to backup or whatever to keep all your settings and stuff? I went from the stable to a nightly a while ago and just redid everything but I have no interest in doing that again.

Copy over everything apart from retroarch.cfg to keep your settings.

Easiest way is to highlight everything in the archive (ctrl+a) then click whilst holding crtl on retroarch.cfg in the archive to deselect just that one file. Then drag and drop everything else over and overwrite.

I know nothing about emulators, nor have I ever used any, but this looks pretty sweet. It makes me consider trying it out at some point.

Radius4

yes

btw, I managed to find what broke SGB

RetroArch-0509-230006.png

The sintax may have changed from before, now it is:

retroarch -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll path\to\sgb.bios --subsystem sgb path\to\gb_rom

kaioshade

I have everything set up and running well, but having a problem having the roms sort by system. I am using the XMB menu driver. for example a super nintendo rom would show up under every other system. what is the missing step tp have the systems filter the proper roms?

Knurek

yes

btw, I managed to find what broke SGB

RetroArch-0509-230006.png

The sintax may have changed from before, now it is:

retroarch -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll path\to\sgb.bios --subsystem sgb path\to\gb_rom

Okay, just tried that with yesterday's build, only results I get is a black screen.
My sgb.bios is named "sgb.boot.rom", is 256 bytes and has CRC of EC8A83B9.
GB rom I'm trying to play is Mario's Picross 2.gb, proper dump and all.

It seems to me Retroarch is trying to load the GB game as a SNES ROM (judging from savestate sizes). There should be be a third commandline parameter for loading the SNES Super Game Boy Rom, or should Retroarch load it automatically? If so, what should I name them?

So since I updated to the 5/8 nightly, trying to launch in glui gets me ultra tiny (like, 3 point) text that doesn't follow the font settings in the .cfg. Any idea what's up with that?

Top Bottom