• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

Okay, just tried that with yesterday's build, only results I get is a black screen.
My sgb.bios is named "sgb.boot.rom", is 256 bytes and has CRC of EC8A83B9.
GB rom I'm trying to play is Mario's Picross 2.gb, proper dump and all.

It seems to me Retroarch is trying to load the GB game as a SNES ROM (judging from savestate sizes). There should be be a third commandline parameter for loading the SNES Super Game Boy Rom, or should Retroarch load it automatically? If so, what should I name them?

Ok I triggered a manual re-build, try with the latest nightly (in about 30 minutes that the buildbot run completes)

Rich!

I'm being a fucking idiot and none of the tutorials online are helping.

I want to load DK94 as a Super Game Boy game (SGB2)

My roms are as follows:

C:\dk.gb
C:\sgb.smc

Retroarch is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Retroarch\retroarch.exe

What do I have to put as a command in the shortcut?

Rich!

retroarch -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll c:\sgb.smc --subsystem sgb c:\dk.gb

hm, I get this when trying to boot:

C:\Users\Rich\Desktop>C:\Users\Rich\Desktop\retroarch.lnk
RetroArch [ERROR] :: init_content_file :: libretro core requires 2 content files
for subsystem "Super GameBoy", but 3 content files were provided.

Awakened

So since I updated to the 5/8 nightly, trying to launch in glui gets me ultra tiny (like, 3 point) text that doesn't follow the font settings in the .cfg. Any idea what's up with that?
It's just broken at the moment. There's already an issue report about it. I've been sticking to RGUI lately since it's the only GUI that doesn't have any issues.

Knurek

retroarch -L cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll c:\sgb.smc --subsystem sgb c:\dk.gb

I'm getting a crash in bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll (latest version available on buildbot) when trying that...
EDIT: That is with rewind enabled.
The emulator boots with rewind disabled, but crash while trying to autosave state. :\

Radius4

Well that's a core problem then rewind doesn't work well with emulators that boot to BIOS apparently.

Auto save as in auto save state on exit? Or auto sram?

Knurek

Well that's a core problem then rewind doesn't work well with emulators that boot to BIOS apparently.

Auto save as in auto save state on exit? Or auto sram?

rewind_enable = "true"
rewind_buffer_size = "200"

Crash on load with these settings.

rewind_enable = "false"
savestate_auto_save = "true"
savestate_auto_load = "true"

Loads fine, crashes on exit (doesn't savestate as well) on these settings.

Win7 x64 version if that's important.

Radius4

rewind_enable = "true"
rewind_buffer_size = "200"

Crash on load with these settings.

rewind_enable = "false"
savestate_auto_save = "true"
savestate_auto_load = "true"

Loads fine, crashes on exit (doesn't savestate as well) on these settings.

Win7 x64 version if that's important.

Not even manual save states?

Radius4

Well the whole thing was untested so far... It was changed about a year ago but it was never really used till last week I tried to figure it out.

I guess now we have to determine if the problem lies in the core of the front-end and fix it.

There is one person at least interested in implementing this for tgb dual.

Rich!

Well the whole thing was untested so far... It was changed about a year ago but it was never really used till last week I tried to figure it out.

I guess now we have to determine if the problem lies in the core of the front-end and fix it.

There is one person at least interested in implementing this for tgb dual.

yesss pleeeaaase

Radius4

Yes, Retroarch crashes as well while trying to do a manual save state.
The same core works fine (both rewind and save states) when running standard SNES games, just double checked.

Yeah, this is untested so far so it's likely there are some kinks to iron on the bsnes side of things.

hm, I get this when trying to boot:

C:\Users\Rich\Desktop>C:\Users\Rich\Desktop\retroarch.lnk
RetroArch [ERROR] :: init_content_file :: libretro core requires 2 content files
for subsystem "Super GameBoy", but 3 content files were provided.

Why don't you try the command I mentioned, I can't tell if you're doing anything wrong with that log since it's you just launching a shortcut

Is there a page that summarizes the availability and state of various libretro cores? I'm interested in earlier cores from the 8-bit era as well as the C=64 and Amiga, particularly. Stella of course is represented already, and a O2EM port to libretro seems to have gotten underway. Coleco? Intellivision? Has anyone brought over VICE or some other C=64 emulator?

fenners

I'm trying to set up PPSSPP with Retroarch.

The "latest full retroarch" here - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/win-x86/latest_RetroArch_full.7z - has an info file for the ppsspp core, but it doesn't get displayed in the core update list in retroarch.

If I go ahead & download the core dll manually from the website & drop it in the core dir, it's shown in the list of available cores, but selecting it does nothing - it effectively refuses to load it.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Awakened

I'm trying to set up PPSSPP with Retroarch.

The "latest full retroarch" here - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/win-x86/latest_RetroArch_full.7z - has an info file for the ppsspp core, but it doesn't get displayed in the core update list in retroarch.

If I go ahead & download the core dll manually from the website & drop it in the core dir, it's shown in the list of available cores, but selecting it does nothing - it effectively refuses to load it.

What am I doing wrong? :)
That core needs copies of the files from the assets folder included with standalone PPSSPP (the 1.0.1 Windows zip should work). Place them in your RetroArch System\PPSSPP folder.

ss_lemonade

Nightly Android build + Shield Portable. Anybody know how (or if its even possible) to map Start to the Shield's actual Start button and not to Right stick press/R3? I don't know if its an android limitation but nearly every other emulator I've tried seems to use the Start button just fine. Others even map select to the back button when applicable.

I just can't seem to understand how custom mapping works, both in the retroarch UI and outside with the custom bind options. I tried searching the retroarch forums and the closest I found was a developer saying that L3/R3 wasn't too common so he decided to map Start and Select there.

Awakened

I've got them in the right place, still doesn't treat it as a valid core. Without them, I get the "missing asset ppge_atlas.zim" error.
Can you use the 64bit build of RetroArch? I've never been able to get the 32bit versions of the PPSSPP, Mupen or Desmume cores to work now that I think of it.

fenners

Can you use the 64bit build of RetroArch? I've never been able to get the 32bit versions of the PPSSPP, Mupen or Desmume cores to work now that I think of it.

Gah, I feel like an idiot - I was intending to use the 64 bit build. Back to the drawing board...

[added]
Wiped the folder, grabed the 64 bit latest, still no download of the ppsspp core from it, but I could grab the dll itself off the website & drop it in, and it's working. Thanks for the help!

Hi everyone, I'm new to RetroArch. I recently installed it on my vWii and I'm having some issues with resolution/aspect ratio. I want to play GB games at a 480x432 resolution and GBA games at a 600x400. I load a core, go to video settings ant set my desired resolution.

However, when I swap cores it retains the custom resolution I set before, and if I restart RetroArch it goes back to the default resolution altogether. The default 10:9 and 3:2 AR aren't working for me, as the AR shown is off.

Is there a way to set my desired resolutions and location within a .cfg file, or in some way that whenever I load a core it changes to the resolution I previously set for that core? Cheers.

Giever

Okay, so this is probably a stupid question, but how do I clear an input setting? I accidentally set one button on my controller to both open the menu and rewind, and I can't figure out how to just clear the rewind setting.

I don't want to switch it to a different button because I don't have anymore available buttons. Selecting Bind All to Defaults didn't work, and I just can't figure out what to do. @_@

Dizzy-4U

I have never used retroarch before and am wondering if you guys can help me.

I am only running N64 games through it for now and was wondering what the best looking CRY filter is (heard about CRT easy mode but have no idea how to implement it)
- Load a N64 game
- Go to the retroarch menu (F1 I think?)
- Options ---> Shader Options
- Shader passes: Set it to 1
- Shader #0: It will open up the shader directory where you can select many shaders. Go to CRT, easymode is located there.

I have it like this:
xpwDcPF.png

Radius4

Okay, so this is probably a stupid question, but how do I clear an input setting? I accidentally set one button on my controller to both open the menu and rewind, and I can't figure out how to just clear the rewind setting.

I don't want to switch it to a different button because I don't have anymore available buttons. Selecting Bind All to Defaults didn't work, and I just can't figure out what to do. @_@

press "START" on the setting

Giever

press "START" on the setting

Thanks! Though I ended up going into the actual config file itself and just changing the value to "nul" once I found it. Still good to know, since that would have been a much less annoying way to have taken care of it.

Is anybody using the Android version? If so, do you know a nightly build date that actually works? I can't get the latest one to save configurations, download cores, or recognize my save files despite putting them in nominally the right place.

Radius4

I'm using the latest and everything but saving inputs is working fine (actually inputs are saving too but they are being overriden by autoconfig at startup)

There are some crashes for me when using physical inputs, hopefully we'll get that one sorted out reals soon.

I was able to get the saves to work eventually by manually forcing them through the Android UI before loading RGUI. I'm not sure I've gotten anything else to save. Does config write at some weird time in this version? I exit RGUI, reload it immediately, and have config settings I just put in disappear.

Radius4

Are you on android 4.0? I remember something like that happening on jellybean.
Have you tried clearing app data and starting over?

Are you on android 4.0? I remember something like that happening on jellybean.
Have you tried clearing app data and starting over?

Nope, Lollipop 5.0. I can give that a shot.

While I've got you here: any way I can get the cores in the PC version to sort alphabetically? Or to show the display name instead of the file name in the core browser? I feel like I used to know how this worked....

Has anyone had any success with playing DS games? I wanted to try out a few like Yoshi's Island DS, Super Princess Peach and Super Mario 64 DS, but with Yoshi or Peach I get errors saying it "can't save or the save has been corrupted, please remove game" and then black screen.

With Super Mario 64 it says Touch Screen to start but I can't emulate the touch screen for some reason. I've enabled all the settings in the menus that I can think of, set the right stick to emulate it, but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas on these issues?

d58e7

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this but are there any good retro (Genesis, Nes,Snes, etc..) gamemods/translations worth checking out? Also, does retro arch work ok with them?

Robin64

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this but are there any good retro (Genesis, Nes,Snes, etc..) gamemods/translations worth checking out? Also, does retro arch work ok with them?

Depends what you're after. Seiken Densetsu 3 is worth checking out, as is Mother 3.

d58e7

Depends what you're after. Seiken Densetsu 3 is worth checking out, as is Mother 3.

I seen a video on youtube that showed some mods for yoshi's island, super metroid, and link to the past. I think they were yoshi 2 plus 2, super metroid redesigned, and zelda parallel worlds. Was just curious if people here had favorites that were worth checking out since there is so much out there.

Robin64

I seen a video on youtube that showed some mods for yoshi's island, super metroid, and link to the past. I think they were yoshi 2 plus 2, super metroid redesigned, and zelda parallel worlds. Was just curious if people here had favorites that were worth checking out since there is so much out there.

Check out Super Demo World: The Legend Continues. This is a hack made by the author of the tools everyone uses to make their own edits of SMW, so is a real good showcase of what it does. It's also one of the best SMW hacks there is in general.

Top Bottom