• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

Nope, Lollipop 5.0. I can give that a shot.

While I've got you here: any way I can get the cores in the PC version to sort alphabetically? Or to show the display name instead of the file name in the core browser? I feel like I used to know how this worked....

You just need info files... maybe you should start over with the latest nightly and just change your paths to your liking?

It should use the "pretty names" by default, only thing you need is the info files in the folder you have set for them

Awakened

Has anyone had any success with playing DS games? I wanted to try out a few like Yoshi's Island DS, Super Princess Peach and Super Mario 64 DS, but with Yoshi or Peach I get errors saying it "can't save or the save has been corrupted, please remove game" and then black screen.

With Super Mario 64 it says Touch Screen to start but I can't emulate the touch screen for some reason. I've enabled all the settings in the menus that I can think of, set the right stick to emulate it, but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas on these issues?
Grab the latest nightly of the core to fix the save issues. I'm not sure if it'll fix your touch issues; I've never had it not work at all like that. The mouse should work by default with the touchscreen, while turning on the right stick emulation should enable one of the triggers to act as touching the screen.

Copons

I've got a question!

I'm configuring a RetroArch+EmulationStation thing and I'm stuck at understanding how to use different shaders and overlays on a per-core basis.

ie. for Gambatte I'd like to use the GBP shader and the GBP border (as seen in the super sweet screenshots in this thread), but of course I wouldn't like the same for BSNES.

Problem is, I don't know where to put my hands.
If I load a preset shader (ie. shaders/handheld/gameboy/gb-pocket-shader.cgp) it basically sticks to RetroArch and I can't seem to go back to the default setting (no shader, I guess) unless I save the shader and delete the retroarch.cgp file in the shaders folder.

Anyway, is there a way to let ONLY Gambatte (or whatever) load its own customizations?
(I guess I should create a new config file and load it in command line, but I honestly don't know what to write in the config file and what command to use)

Thanks!

Radius4

You have 2 alternatives:

- Enable per-core configurations, those will use a config named corename.cgp
- Use configuration overrides, those are small configuration files that are read only (also when an override is loaded config auto-save is disabled) that are loaded on core startup and will override some stuff from your main config.

I have a writeup on overrides here http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/, if you have any questions feel free to ask

You just need info files... maybe you should start over with the latest nightly and just change your paths to your liking?

It should use the "pretty names" by default, only thing you need is the info files in the folder you have set for them

Well, I had the .info files, but nuking the directory and redownloading the cores on the latest nightly seems to have fixed it, so... thanks!

Knurek

You have 2 alternatives:

- Use configuration overrides, those are small configuration files that are read only (also when an override is loaded config auto-save is disabled)

Is this true? The blog post you linked to states that "Overrides will propagate to the main config if configuration auto save is enabled (config_save_on_exit)"

Radius4

Yes but I then changed the behavior to stop them from messing the config and I didn't update the post to reflect that.

Basically if you want to save the config when overrides are active (active means loaded for a game or a core, not just enabled), use the "Save New Config" option.

I have plans to make it save the overrides but it's a lot of work.

Parsnip

Hey hi.

Planning to re-play Symphony of the Night, and figured I'd use Retroarch since I've packed away my 360 and my old PSX is busted.

Any shader recommendations? I'm not looking to emulate old-ass CRT's or anything, just maybe a little softening of the pixels or something. The default bilinear filter was a bit too soft for my tastes, something between raw and bilinear maybe.

Or something else, maybe there's a neat shader that I would like, but I just don't know about it yet.

Radius4

I find that sotn lends itself well to CRT so I would just use that.
If you like smoothing I would go for some of the XBR presets in the CGP folder

This is my royale preset:
RetroArch-0517-164905.png

fullsize

Not really a fan of smoothing filters (with some game exceptions) this is just SABR

And this is 5XBR

I think CRT shaders are the best, just sit a few feet away and let your eyes do the post-processing :d

RetroArch-0513-165700.png

Copons

You have 2 alternatives:

- Use configuration overrides, those are small configuration files that are read only (also when an override is loaded config auto-save is disabled) that are loaded on core startup and will override some stuff from your main config.

I have a writeup on overrides here http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/, if you have any questions feel free to ask

Thanks, I'm gonna check this out tomorrow!

So far I somehow got the GB overlay working with Gambatte via command line, saving/copying/deleting tons of Gambatte .cgp files, but I'm not sure how I did that, and as soon as I try something different I screw up something and RA crashes.
But eh, that satisfaction feeling when seeing that beautiful GB border and shader was real!

BONKERS

Hey hi.

Planning to re-play Symphony of the Night, and figured I'd use Retroarch since I've packed away my 360 and my old PSX is busted.

Any shader recommendations? I'm not looking to emulate old-ass CRT's or anything, just maybe a little softening of the pixels or something. The default bilinear filter was a bit too soft for my tastes, something between raw and bilinear maybe.

Or something else, maybe there's a neat shader that I would like, but I just don't know about it yet.

http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2015/04/more-crt-shaders.html

GTU?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
WARNING:
Apparently this...
you ideally want http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...roArch_full.7z which is updated daily and includes all cores.
...contains 5 files made in Linux, because the filenames contain a colon, which can be seen in Winrar. Now, Winrar will go ahead and extract these anyway, simply showing errors. Windows then takes a look at them and can see the file, but no further than the colon since it doesn't do colons in filenames, and since the colon is making the file path invalid, Windows will say it doesn't exist while showing it to you, and you can't delete it because it is on a filepath that doesn't exist to Windows.

I did some searching around the internet for a solution and I found instructions for chkdsk, so I ran chkdsk C: /f /v as advised (after a reboot since Windows was busy using C:) and apparently it didn't do the trick. So now I need to make a goddamn Linux bootdisk just to delete these files off my desktop.

The offending files in \cheats\:
Code:
\PSX\GameShark\Monsters, Inc.
\PSX\GameShark\T.R.A.G.
\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\GameGenie\E.V.O.
\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\GameGenie\Super E.D.F.
\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\ProActionReplay\Super E.D.F.

You probably don't want to extract these.

Yeah, I forgot I need to finish configuring my setup. Kind of a huge pain.

Is there anywhere that has this all pre-configured? Can't I download someone else's already setup package and just reconfigure the disk locations, etc?

Parsnip

WARNING:
Apparently this...
...contains 5 files made in Linux, because the filenames contain a colon, which can be seen in Winrar. Now, Winrar will go ahead and extract these anyway, simply showing errors. Windows then takes a look at them and can see the file, but no further than the colon since it doesn't do colons in filenames, and since the colon is making the file path invalid, Windows will say it doesn't exist while showing it to you, and you can't delete it because it is on a filepath that doesn't exist to Windows.

I did some searching around the internet for a solution and I found instructions for chkdsk, so I ran chkdsk C: /f /v as advised (after a reboot since Windows was busy using C:) and apparently it didn't do the trick. So now I need to make a goddamn Linux bootdisk just to delete these files off my desktop.

Code:
\PSX\GameShark\T.R.A.G.

Regarding this, a decent extractor like 7zip will automatically replace all offending characters with an underscore. So for example T.R.A.G.: Mission of Mercy.cht becomes T.R.A.G._ Mission of Mercy.cht and that will of course work fine on Windows.

Radius4

WARNING:
Apparently this...

Code:

Edit: and yeah it works fine with peazip and 7zip here, the problem here is winrar writing files that it shouldn't be allowed to write, we'll rename the files none the less
\PSX\GameShark\T.R.A.G.

I'll report this and make them fix it, thanks

Anyone got the PSX mednafen stuff working? I'm having trouble getting the games to start at all. I have the bios' in the system folder, and it looks like it starts up but then it just crashes.

I read that I need to go into the core options and disable the bios but there are no options in Core Options.

Just FYI, this (and the auto remap loading) is super great. The only downside is that now I'll probably start going in and tweaking display options per-core....

Radius4

Anyone got the PSX mednafen stuff working? I'm having trouble getting the games to start at all. I have the bios' in the system folder, and it looks like it starts up but then it just crashes.

I read that I need to go into the core options and disable the bios but there are no options in Core Options.

The skip BIOS option was removed by mednafen' a author so unless you're using the stable build that's not available anymore. Check the libretro wiki for info on how to get that core to work. (I worked hard in that page)

Just FYI, this (and the auto remap loading) is super great. The only downside is that now I'll probably start going in and tweaking display options per-core....

Yeah hehe it happens

Piano

Banned
Is there any way to couple certain filter / video settings with certain cores / systems? What looks good for SNES doesn't necessarily look good for other things and I don't want to have to reset it every time.

Also, what filter / settings is this, or similar to this one? It looks great:

Aku-Audi

Does the Mame 2015 core support CHD? Tried running Killer Instinct but the command dialog window just says CHD not detected.

I am assuming Mame 2015 uses 0.161?

Radius4

are Mac builds on a good road to be updated anytime soon? I've seen someone claim they already can be compiled with Xcode :)

It can be built just fine and someone was pushing builds every now and then but I dunno really he doesn't do it regularly...

We need a macmini server I guess

---

Is there any way to couple certain filter / video settings with certain cores / systems? What looks good for SNES doesn't necessarily look good for other things and I don't want to have to reset it every time.

Also, what filter / settings is this, or similar to this one? It looks great:

RetroArch-0520-182025%20-%20Copy.png

fullsize
stock royale @ 4k

You can use overrides for this, http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/ you have to create the override files manually but it's relatively easy, for example for Snes9x you would do this:

- create a snes9x folder in your configuration directory
- create a file named snes9x.cfg
- add the following to the file:

videoshader = "path\to\shaders\myawesomepreset.cgp"

You have to enable the load overrides automatically option under general settings of course.

You can do the same for a game, only difference is that the filename would follow the romname, for instance for "Megaman X (U).zip" you would create a "Megaman X (U).cfg" file in the snes9x folder and override whatever you want there.

That looks like stock crt-royale btw.

The system is quite flexible, for instance I have an override file for mednafen psx like this:

video_shader = "shaders\custom\crt-royale-psx.cgp"
video_aspect_ratio = "-1.000000"
aspect_ratio_index = "21"
core_options_path = ":\config\Mednafen PSX\core-options.cfg"
input_libretro_device_p1 = "517"
input_libretro_device_p2 = "517"
input_libretro_device_p3 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p4 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p5 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p6 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p7 = "1"
input_libretro_device_p8 = "1"

Basically what this does is set some video options, set an invidual core options file for the core and sets the input device to be dualshock that is what I want for most games. But then there are a few games, for example Megaman 8 that won't work with DualShock. In such cases I override that for the game (it always evaluates global, then overrides per core and then overrides per game). This MM8 override looks like this:

input_libretro_device_p1 = "1"
input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = "1"

---

Does the Mame 2015 core support CHD? Tried running Killer Instinct but the command dialog window just says CHD not detected.

I am assuming Mame 2015 uses 0.161?

Yes it does, http://www.libretro.com/index.php/mamemessume-cores/
The CHD should reside in the rom folder in a folder named after the game, for instance

rompath
|-----kinst.zip
|-----kinst (folder)
|---------kinst.chd

---

On the latest nightly I can do this but it doesn't seem to save the shader settings..

You can save presets and then load them, it doesn't ever overwrite built-in presets.

You can save presets and then load them, it doesn't ever overwrite built-in presets.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can't have a scenario where I'm using X shader for my NES core, no shader for Saturn, and Y shader for SNES? Via rgui I mean, without editing the config files.

Does the same thing apply to the per-core mapped controls? Because those seem to reset for me every time as well.

Thank you!

Radius4

Not via RGUI... the "current" shader is always configname.cgp and that's done in purpose.
You don't need to map controls per-core, there are still some limitations but you should use remap files, it's rather easy to setup

1. configure a folder for your remap files
2. load a game
3. go into options/remapping options
4. remap
5. select save as core remap or game remap depending on what you want
6. profit

You need to enable the "Load Remaps automatically" toggle under general settings of course.

You can do the same for a game, only difference is that the filename would follow the romname, for instance for "Megaman X (U).zip" you would create a "Megaman X (U).cfg" file in the snes9x folder and override whatever you want there.

I just realized this'll be a great way to deal with multi-system emus, so I can do things like set Gameboy and Gameboy Color games to use the right shaders.

Palom

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can't have a scenario where I'm using X shader for my NES core, no shader for Saturn, and Y shader for SNES? Via rgui I mean, without editing the config files.

I haven't updated my version of Retroarch in a couple weeks, so I'm not sure if anything changed, but under Settings->General Settings->Configuration Per Core (second option), set it to On. This creates different config files that are used whenever you load a new game. Each config file generates its own shader preset file.

Just load a core and game, set your shader options, then exit to save it. Repeat for each core you want.

Vertti

I've picked shaders and controls for all cores manually and saved them in config folder. Named them like NES, SNES, PS1 etc. I guess there is better way but if somebody is struggling with setuping this thing at least that works pretty well.

Radius4

I've picked shaders and controls for all cores manually and saved them in config folder. Named them like NES, SNES, PS1 etc. I guess there is better way but if somebody is struggling with setuping this thing at least that works pretty well.

Instead of naming it NES you can name it Nestopia/Nestopia.cfg. Then enable load overrides automatically and voila.

For controls its better to use the core remap function (under options). That allows users to save per-core or per-game remaps directly.

Blagh, so weird. In an effort to minimize input lag, I turned on hard GPU sync. For some reason it makes the aspect ratio go all funky on some cores (Yabause, FBA) and cuts the screen in half. Anybody run into this issue?

Tried using both the Wii Nightly Build and Stable versions and both are a bit glitchy (like, Wii Remote input randomly not working and needing to switch to the Classic Controller, exception crashes when opening zips or even ROMs). Can anyone recommend their preferred Wii nightly build that has proven relatively stable for them?

Radius4

Hmmm there were similar issues with PSP recently, I'll make sure next build is a clean slate build, let me know how it goes.

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. It would sometimes even freeze just backing out of a menu, it's been rough. Hopefully this will be less problematic, I want to toy with filters and stuff! I'm actually pretty new to RetroArch so we'll know soon enough if the errors are mostly mine or not.

Radius4

Shaders won't work on the Wii, GL platforms only. And CPU filters might be too demanding. I don't think we're shipping any filters with the Wii.

Shaders won't work on the Wii, GL platforms only. And CPU filters might be too demanding. I don't think we're shipping any filters with the Wii.

I mostly just meant scanlines (which are definitely packed in for Wii) and experimenting with various combinations of bilinear filtering and resolution options.

Lettuce

Now that we able to download cores from within RA, does RA auto update the cores if it finds a newer version on the server?

Lettuce

I really like CRT-Royale but you need integer scaling enabled so you get even scanlines and thus i always select CRT-Geom or CRT-Easymode but both of these shaders lack the Halation and Diffusion settings of CRT-Royale. If there a single .cp shader that focuses on Halation and Diffusion effects so i can add these as a 2nd and 3rd pass for along with CRT-Geom/CRT-Easymode at the 1st pass?

or failing that with passes of the CRT-Royale shader relate to Halation and Diffusion effects?

im having some trouble setting this up. Im only getting video output in full screen, and it's only showing in the upper left corner of the screen. is there a way to center the video output in full screen?

EasyMode

I really like CRT-Royale but you need integer scaling enabled so you get even scanlines and thus i always select CRT-Geom or CRT-Easymode but both of these shaders lack the Halation and Diffusion settings of CRT-Royale. If there a single .cp shader that focuses on Halation and Diffusion effects so i can add these as a 2nd and 3rd pass for along with CRT-Geom/CRT-Easymode at the 1st pass?

or failing that with passes of the CRT-Royale shader relate to Halation and Diffusion effects?

Actually, crt-interlaced-halation is crt-geom/cgwg. If you use that I recommend changing the # of passes to 3 and setting the last pass filter to linear, and scale to don't care. Since it does't have parameters, you'll have to open crt-interlaced-halation-pass2.cg and comment out #define CURVATURE to disable that effect.

As for my shader, I can post a halation version for you to test out. Just need to clean it up a bit, so tomorrow maybe.

By the way, do multipass shaders work on GLSL builds of RetroArch? Just curious.

Hmmm there were similar issues with PSP recently, I'll make sure next build is a clean slate build, let me know how it goes.

So I downloaded the one dated 5/22 (the 15.4 MB one as opposed to the normal 21.9 MB that surround it) and extracted the 7z (with 7zip) into sd:/apps/retroarch-wii/ . I deleted my sd:/retroarch folder to ensure my *.cfgs would be starting all fresh. I inserted the card on the Wii, loaded the app from Homebrew Channel and.....hard lock with black screen. No Wii Remote sync, nothing. Even tried twice. So.... *shrug* Maybe it's having trouble trying to write the root folder again, but... that's all I got. And the card is definitely not read-only.... :(

Im having a lot of trouble ripping my legitimate PS1 discs to my pc. Im using imgburn and some discs work just fine (mega man legends 1) but another two (Legends 2 and tron bonne) get stuck while analysing sectors and never start.

It seems like this is a bug with the software that happens with a lot of CDs.

My workaround is to use cloneCD to make a CCD image, mount that CCD with daemon tools, and then rip the virtual image to a .bin/.cue file. It seems to work so far, but does anyone else have a simpler solution?

Top Bottom