• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: How Intel lost the Sony PlayStation 6 business

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
You're not smart unless you look at the entire market before making a decision like this.

Sony were probably 99% AMD but they for sure always have to look at everything before making a final decision.

I mean if BC is a requirement then I don't see how you can really go with anything other than AMD.

Sony and Microsoft are sort of stuck with AMD now unless they drop that condition.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GTFO with this nonsense, PS5 and Series X were adequately powerful for $399 console released in 2020
you literally had mark cerny make the case that it wasnt powerful enough for 60 fps gaming just last week.

devs literally had to leave out RT in 60 fps modes just to get them to run and even then the resolutions would dip to sub 720p to maintain 60 fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I am rocking an intel CPU and its way better than reviewers make it out to be. Especially in comparison to the zen 2 CPUs it was competing with.

it's good for Sony to hold discussions with intel. AMD has its own issues, but I like the idea of new tech in my console. AMD and Sony partnership has now resulted in not one but two consecutive underpowered consoles. I was hoping sony would switch to dedicated CPU and GPUs so we can finally start having powerful GPUs in consoles again. Enough with this combined SoC design.
You will get the same performance as AMD with more power consumption, noise and heat if consoles went Intel.

Last edited:

Bitstream

The dream remain a console with an nvidia gpu.
I think if nvidia made CPUS as well, and APUs they might be considered for more consoles, but the fact that they don't have any cpu/gpu combos on one chip basically eliminates them from the running. Doing it all on the same silicon has too many advantages to pass up

SweetTooth

Gold Member
you literally had mark cerny make the case that it wasnt powerful enough for 60 fps gaming just last week.

devs literally had to leave out RT in 60 fps modes just to get them to run and even then the resolutions would dip to sub 720p to maintain 60 fps.

Guess what! Your precious RTX 4090 wont be able to do both in couple of years. Does that make it not powerful in 2024? Of course not.

PS5/Series both have majority of games running at 60fps or even higher but that beside the point.

My point is which you ignored, PS5 was plenty capable for a $399 machine released in 2020

HogIsland

I doubt Sony was very inclined to switch from AMD in the first place. The backward compatibility thing is significant, and Sony would have to rework a lot of their SDK to support Intel hardware. imo Intel should be feverishly working on a mobile core+arc APU solution for handhelds and laptops, and be well positioned to power SteamOS consoles in the near future. Intel has a better track record than Nvidia and even AMD in supporting Linux, so the path is pretty clear for them. They had a nice in-house concept with the NUC-12 (subsequently sold NUC branding to ASUS), and Minisforum also sold a very slick, Intel+Nvidia powered system that would make a great console:

Intel NUC-12 Extreme
nuc12.webp

Minisforum NUCXi7
csm_NUCXi7_11_b80bfbe2c8.jpg

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I was hoping sony would switch to dedicated CPU and GPUs so we can finally start having powerful GPUs in consoles again. Enough with this combined SoC design.
Those days are gone for mobile computing devices - which consoles are.

RaZoR No1

Wow it's a ruthless business I didn't think there would be any chance Sony would leave AMD and Broadcom being in the mix is fascinating I wonder if Nvidia poked around 🤔
Probably not
Nvidia is already more than satisfied / busy with their AI stuff.

AFAIK wasnt there even a rumour, that they didnt even wanted to partner with Nintendo for Switch 360 because it was just peanuts for them?

The AI market is currently their main income.
Even the GPU market is not on their top tier list anymore

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think if nvidia made CPUS as well, and APUs they might be considered for more consoles, but the fact that they don't have any cpu/gpu combos on one chip basically eliminates them from the running. Doing it all on the same silicon has too many advantages to pass up

The Nvidia Shield sparking their role in Switch is just Nintendo's best timeline and sheer luck of timing for them. We probably would not (likely) have a Switch 2 with Nvidia upscaling if Shield didn't exist, which is wacky.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am rocking an intel CPU and its way better than reviewers make it out to be. Especially in comparison to the zen 2 CPUs it was competing with.

it's good for Sony to hold discussions with intel. AMD has its own issues, but I like the idea of new tech in my console. AMD and Sony partnership has now resulted in not one but two consecutive underpowered consoles. I was hoping sony would switch to dedicated CPU and GPUs so we can finally start having powerful GPUs in consoles again. Enough with this combined SoC design.

The PS5 really wasn't underpowered at launch, given its price. Yeah, there was obviously better PC hardware already out there, but Sony can't sell a $1,500 or $2,000 console to very many people. For the cost, the PS5 was pretty great. Less bottlenecked than the PS4, which had a very weak CPU. PS5 is more balanced. Plus a storage and I/O system that no PC could match at the time (not sure they fully can yet, except by brute-forcing). Even some RT capabilities, which most people thought it wouldn't have at all a year or two before it launched.

Last edited:

mhirano

I mean if BC is a requirement then I don't see how you can really go with anything other than AMD.

Sony and Microsoft are sort of stuck with AMD now unless they drop that condition.
Microsoft already proved it can make different architectures backward compatible (because their BC is higher level). Sony really is stuck with AMD

Jesb

I don’t know why a console manufacturer would even consider intel. They’re more expensive, consoles don’t need the absolute bleeding edge tech to succeed, so why would you go with intel if you’re looking to make your profit margin or atleast sell at a smaller loss.

AMD are the only ones with an x86 CPU and a mature GPU tech of some sort which can be integrated on a single die

Intel has an x86 CPU but their GPU business is still in the early stages

Nvidia has a vastly superior GPU architecture but Sony would need to switch to ARM

Broadcom? LOL?

The only choice which made sense for Sony was always going to be AMD

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Also...as i've been saying, next gen starts in 2028:

We're not even halfway through this present gen.

3 more years, lets say this year is over.

End of this gen should be really good.

Damn at Intel. Losing Apple and now PlayStation. Talk about fumbling the bag. Whoever is doing their negotiating needs to be fired.

RaZoR No1

I don't see how intel would guarantee hardware BC with PS4 and PS5. this would be an engineer nightmare.
Why not?
Both CPUs are running on a X86/64 system.
First step/issue already solved.
GPU shouldnt be an issue either, if even Sony is able to support nearly all PS4 games on PS5.

Probably somethink like beein on a normal PC

Do not forgett, that the current consoles are more or less a bespoke PC systems with some whistles and bells.

We even have some Mainboards that were not good enough to be consoles converted as cheap Windows machine by AMD itself.
Just google 4700S AMD Desktop Kit.

Since Xbox One/ PS4 I do not really see any issues with BC anymore

Top Bottom