• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: U.S. to issue decree on transgender access to school restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Searched and didn't see a thread.

The Obama administration will issue a sweeping decree on Friday telling every U.S. public school district to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms that match their gender identity.

The letter, signed by officials from the Education and Justice departments, does not have the force of law but contains an implicit threat that schools which do not abide by the Obama administration's interpretation of the law could face lawsuits or a loss of federal aid.

"There is no room in our schools for discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against transgender students on the basis of their sex," U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement.

"This guidance gives administrators, teachers, and parents the tools they need to protect transgender students from peer harassment and to identify and address unjust school policies," she said.

The Obama administration letter will say schools may not require transgender students to have a medical diagnosis, undergo any medical treatment, or produce a birth certificate or other document before treating them according to their gender identity.

Americans are divided over how public restrooms should be used by transgender people, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, with 44 percent saying people should use them according to their biological sex and 39 percent saying they should be used according to the gender with which they identify.

Paskil

Man, this country is definitely changing too fast for some people. I'm glad we're talking about this as a country and that we've managed to pivot
lol
so quickly from same-sex marriage to another LGBT issue. Civil rights, y'all.

Fuck yeah!

This:
Americans are divided over how public restrooms should be used by transgender people, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, with 44 percent saying people should use them according to their biological sex and 39 percent saying they should be used according to the gender with which they identify

is depressing though

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm honestly awestruck as to how strongly the federal govt. is coming in favor of trans rights. This is staggering.

RDreamer

Fuck yeah.

I'm really going to look back on Obama's presidency so fondly for the rest of my life.

I'm honestly awestruck as to how strongly the federal govt. is coming in favor of trans rights. This is staggering.

I fee like this is what you get with a president that doesn't have to campaign anymore and a pretty much guaranteed successor.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The culture warriors are going to have a field day with this one.

I personally am a big fan of IDGAF Obama.

cdyhybrid

uYAOAJk.gif

Rev up the salt factories.

Thanks Obama!

Fuck yeah!

This:

is depressing though

Eh

While not ideal, I think the tides will turn soon enough. I remember when the figures for same-sex marriage were similar a long while back! Plus, you have to imagine that the other 17% who chose neither probably are the type of people who are ignorant about the situation and know it, and would thus not choose either (but probably lean towards pro-trans if they received the education).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The requirement of assertion from a parent or legal guardian is going to piss some people I know off pretty badly, but progress is progress

Quonny

/popcorn

/extra popcorn when people realize that they've been going to the bathroom with transgender people all along

I hope people remember this before they start talking about how both parties are the same amd Obama isn't progressive and just an establishment hack or whatever amd that nothing has changed during his presidency

Risette

A Good Citizen
Really reassuring that trans rights are going strong and not subject to the same dripfeed and back and forth that other LGBT rights were. Between this and the strongly-worded DOJ argument that confirmed trans identities more explicitly than a lot of LGBT organizations do, I actually feel cared for by the government? Weird feeling.

I was worried that we'd be left behind after gay marriage passed and people would think LGBT discrimination was "over"; glad to be wrong.

I hope people remember this before they start talking about how both parties are the same amd Obama isn't progressive and just an establishment hack or whatever amd that nothing has changed during his presidency

Seriously. Could Obama be more left? Yeah, I think most people could be. Is he a centrist or even center-left? Hell no.

Conservatives are gonna go absolutely nuclear. Based last year Obama.

In the end, we'll have two groups - one group that recognizes Obama as perhaps our greatest President, and another that is wrong

Man, this country is definitely changing too fast for some people. I'm glad we're talking about this as a country and that we've managed to pivot
lol
so quickly from same-sex marriage to another LGBT issue. Civil rights, y'all.

Some people haven't recovered from the fact that the Confederacy lost the Civil War.

The U.S.A can be slow, sometimes.

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks, Obama. You and your administration have kept fighting past the point of marriage equality passing, for it was a fear of mine that the momentum to fight for us queer and trans folks would ebb away.

Even if there's a backlash from conservative circles, manufactured or otherwise, I love how this has become a wedge issue for Democrats and progressives, but this time to their advantage. I still remember when Republicans were using gay marriage as a wedge issue to full effect back in 2004. I hope they get a full taste of their own medicine this go round. Make them swallow it all, Obama.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also yet another example of why accelerationism is stupid. If this whole issue came to a head nine months from now under a Trump presidency "to teach the country a lesson" we'd be living in a period of genuine regression for close to a decade and people would get hurt

Just a reminder folks, get the fuck out and vote

Wow what does Obama think he is issuing decrees like it's the han dynasty, what is this China

~~~

Seriously though they should just pull funding from all schools that do this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can't believe this is actually an issue in the first place. Get your act together America

watershed

Banned
Good. I think it's highly contradictory that seemingly the same politicians and conservatives who live in fear of transgender Americans, and believe in some kind of sexual threat these Americans pose, are also those who regularly employ victim blaming tactics in regards to rape victims and "boys will be boys" attitudes to real sexual assaults.

Hale-XF11

I'm deeply saddened that we live in a world where this even has to be done and where so much hatred, unwarranted fear and bigotry exists.

I am however deeply grateful for the federal government's stance on this matter. It's too bad that in the meantime, some people will continue to live in fear for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom