• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: U.S. to issue decree on transgender access to school restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
This is America buddy, we don't have time for this kind of nonsense "just go and pee" garbage.

I'm pretty sure it's not just America, Trans people must have an difficult time wherever they go unfortunately.

Here in Germany at least it's totally cool if women use the men bathrooms whenever there is a gigantic queue for the women's bathroom. At least that's my experience.

benjipwns

Banned
Agreed. Working in alcohol distribution, I've seen how much redundant red tape businesses have to go through to get their products into different states, given each state has different rules and regulations.

Imagine if there was a uniform set of regs nationwide?
It'd be terrible. Think about all those local liquor control institutions losing power and not to mention the money and personal influence the individuals would lose. *shudders*

You'll also need a Constitutional Amendment I assume from looking at the 21st.

The future will be Unisex stalls instead of unisex bathrooms.

Each stall will have a sink and a toilet and effectively be a closet-sized room with a lock on the door, only allowing one person at a time (or a parent w/ child).

Many places already do this and yes, there will be long lines.

I have this in my house.

It'd be terrible. Think about all those local liquor control institutions losing power and not to mention the money and personal influence the individuals would lose. *shudders*

You'll also need a Constitutional Amendment I assume from looking at the 21st.
What's funny is the business I work at is run by ultraconservatives who are all about states' rights.

I have this in my house.
The idea is quite novel, isn't it.

Ok so to be clear, the worry here is that a "male-male" student will:
-come out to family and friends
-start seeing a gender therapist
-get a diagnosis of gender dysphoria
-begin a treatment plan that may include hormone replacement therapy, voice training, etc. (possibly puberty blockers, depending on age)
-socially transition their gender

All in order to creep on girls in the bathroom?

I'm not against transgendere rights but I thought people were against having to get diagnosed and going through treatment to be identified with the gender they choose . If that's what's required why are people so pissed?

Kard8p3

Joshua Feuerstein is a random guy. He's the one that started the "Starbucks hates Christmas even though they have red cups" guy.

When I said "not a random guy" I didn't want anyone thinking I was just linking to some dude's random video lol, this guy at least puts himself out there on a regular basis.

Nipo

Any neogafer have insight into what Trans rights are like in Japanese? I'm visiting for the first time and was curious after seeing things like women only subway cars, women onsen being locker but not men, different school uniforms, ect.

Any neogafer have insight into what Trans rights are like in Japanese? I'm visiting for the first time and was curious after seeing things like women only subway cars, women onsen being locker but not men, different school uniforms, ect.

From what I've heard (and it's not much), the more conservative element in Japan doesn't really address it or approach it, and thus they don't face direct bigotry (same with LGB). People who are LGBT however are often expected to be "private" about it.

Then again, I haven't read much as I've said, so I could be off on this.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm not against transgendere rights but I thought people were against having to get diagnosed and going through treatment to be identified with the gender they choose . If that's what's required why are people so pissed?

I think it's more that these services to diagnose and treat are often a combination of: 1) expensive 2) hard to reach/out of reach 3) not every doctor is a good one

I had a trans friend get turned away by shitty doctors because they were transphobic, but that also left her with limited options as to who she could see, and she ended up having to drive really far and out of the way to see a doctor.

2nd term president is best president.

C0kmb3z.jpg

Platy

Ideally yes, because cis people does not need a doctor to confirm they are cis, but these days you have to go to all these trouble... Or even better, these days this is all the complications people think perverts will do.

It's...not good.

Cyan

Banned

Generally what people are against is "ONLY POST-OP TRANS PPL CAN DO THING" because SRS is expensive and extreme and not everyone necessarily wants to do it, and because it pointlessly grabs an arbitrary (and difficult) point on the gender spectrum.

My assumption is that probably a trans person won't want to use the restroom of their preferred gender until they've socially transitioned their gender. Possibly there's something I'm not thinking of here. In any case, I don't expect that a random cis person walking into the girls' room and saying "but I am trans" is either likely to happen or likely to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom