• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rey as a Mary Sue [STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol ok. An injured and emotionally broken Kylo would never lose to her? Not too mention his training is not complete.

Opposed to seeing her friend Han Solo die and Finn badly wounded and her being injured by the force push? Not to mention she had no training at all?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Do you guys have trouble with comprehension?

ZehDon is offering to list better examples. Ones I'm assuming that don't rely on people creating copious amounts of head canon like wiped memories.
We don't even know if her memories are wiped. This is the first movie in a trilogy, it's not gonna explain every single thing off the back with exposition.

Opposed to seeing her friend Han Solo die and Finn badly wounded and her being injured by the force push? Not to mention she had no training at all?
She was being just as reckless and unrefined as Kylo Ren until she allowed herself to be calm and use the force. So basically just like Luke, she was able to go from this:
giphy-4-star-wars-canon-everything-we-know-about-luke-skywalker-gif-195010.gif

to this

tumblr_l31pvhSTKZ1qznd83o1_500.gif

because she was allowed to use the force in that moment. If Kylo hadn't stopped attacking in the moment he most definitely would've overpowered her and pushed her off the edge.

MartyStu

Me too.

The movie also limits the things that Rey is allowed to be good at. She is not the best with a blaster, Han and Finn are better, she's not the best pilot, Poe is better, she's not the best with the force. She makes mistakes multiple time in the movie and is put in genuine danger multiple times. It's the hero's journey and this is her start. Luke doesn't deviate from the hero's journey at all, he's actually the perfect example of it, (to the point where he's the prime example taught in schools when the subject of the hero's journey is brought up) with a sci-fi twist. Both characters had flaws but they aren't carbon copies of each other, Rey for instance is a lot more snarky and informed than Luke who is incredibly naive and knows basically nothing about the universe while Rey, like the audience, is like "Bro you know Luke Skywalker?!!" They're both partial stand ins for the audience interested in the jedi aspect.

Not in comparisons to other characters. To herself. Just as I compare Luke to himself.

And the Jakku scenes are nothing if not authoritative proof that Rey is an amazing pilot. And she is allowed to be. She is also allowed to be fully as capable in all the things she currently is capable of.

That is all fine.

I just either need more/better backstory. Lacking that, I think it is entirely fair to call out the writers and director.

Novelization Rey is significantly better because of this.

I was laughing internally at the Internet overreaction until the final fight. That was BULLSHIT. The jedi mind trick was the first Mary Sue stroke but goddammit the ending was such fairytale.

I can't state just how much reading stuff like this in THIS thread frustates me. You are literally (LITERALLY) in a thread that spells word for word why and how that fight played out the way it did but no you must insist on using a meaningless label (that has no bearing in this movie) and not even that also inovates on the use of "fairytale". Well done man.

If you dont want to read the OP read this simplyfied version of why Rey won:

-Ren was shot by the bowcaster, an insanely powerful weapon that one-shot every other person it hit.
-He had just killed his father and was shown to be anguished by this decision instead of the relief he expected (further "tearing him apart")
-His dominant arm was hit by Finn with a fucking lightsaber
-The camera focused on his bleeding to further assert his weakness but it seems that wasnt explicit enough for folks like you
-He was never shown to be a profficient lightsaber user
-All of this adds up to him not being able to focus and properly use the Force (he struggles to force pull the lightsaber and it doesn't even go to him)
-He is shown on his last ropes pleading to Rey to join him sweating profusely and with a painful expression on his face
-Rey on the other hand manages to calm her mind and "lets the force in"
-The fight is decided there since Star Wars fights are always decided by who is stronger with the force

Its actually mind boggling that you would call all of this a fairytale but its the internet i guess. Gotta be edgy.

UrbanRats

She did know how to fight somewhat (as shown when she gets jumped by the 3 folks on Jakku).

Though i do think they went way too fast with her whole "force discovery" in the second half.

I especially didn't like how they made the "Jedi mind trick" thing into a joke, it cheapened her development somewhat.
The film had plenty of humor without the need of that scene.

Mandius

Erm, of course, what i have a problem with is how it's listed like it's a big deal.
If you're born in that context, you'll probably know your way around selling parts, since it seems like a big part of that economy, but adding the "professional" label to it makes it sound like some huge characteristic.
The list was meant to point out how super human her abilities are, but her scavenging or "street smarts" (as shown in the movie) aren't that peculiar at all, especially since they're being juxtaposed with Finn's, who's had a very weird and sheltered development.

The list shows just how much Rey can do. The basis of the mary sue complaint is that her abilities are excessive given what is shown/explained in the film.

And professional is perfectly fine. Scavenging for parts is exactly her job. It is how she eats.

MartyStu

She also is having an awakening of sorts. And she wasnt split open by a bowcaster.

This is another thing that bothered me.

That bowcaster is repeatedly shown to be able to fuck a dude up. Not having mitigated it at all, Ren should be much more fucked up/ dead than he appears to be.

I can't state just how much reading stuff like this in THIS thread frustates me. You are literally (LITERALLY) in a thread that spells word for word why and how that fight played out the way it did but no you must insist on using a meaningless label (that has no bearing in this movie) and not even that also inovates on the use of "fairytale". Well done man.

-Ren was shot by the bowcaster, an insanely powerful weapon that one-shot every other person it hit.
-He had just killed his father and was shown to be anguished by this decision instead of the relief he expected (further "tearing him apart")
-The camera focused on his bleeding to further assert his weakness but it seems that wasnt explicit enough for folks like you
-All of this adds up to him not being able to focus and properly use the Force (he struggles to force pull the lightsaber and it doesn't even go to him)
-He is shown on his last ropes pleading to Rey to join him sweating profusely and with a painful expression on his face
-The fight is decided there since Star Wars fights are always decided by who is stronger with the force

Its actually mind boggling that you would call all of this a fairytale but its the internet i guess. Gotta be edgy.

Also people seem to ignore that his lightsaber looks like it might actually be an unstable piece of shit. I mean the exhaust ports and all that jazz that make it look cool might very well (and I suspect that they in fact are) be the only thing that keeps the thing from blowing up.

Whereas Rey was fighting with an OG Anakin blade from the heyday of the Jedi existence.

Cap Phasma is probably the biggest offender of getting the short end of the stick. Especially with them talking her up. Literally was looking for the bush they threw her character in at the end of the movie

The character definitely need to breath next go around.
As someone that only saw that five seconds of Phasma in the trailer her contribution felt like all it needed to be.

Crossing Eden

Not in comparisons to other characters. To herself. Just as I compare Luke to himself.

And the Jakku scenes are nothing if not authoritative proof that Rey is an amazing pilot. And she is allowed to be. She is also allowed to be fully as capable in all the things she currently is capable of.

That is all fine.

I just either need more/better backstory. Lacking that, I think it is entirely fair to call out the writers and director.

Novelization Rey is significantly better because of this.
The line "I don't know how I did it" heavily if not straight up confirms that she was using the force in that moment, even if voluntarily like we've seen other force sensitive characters do in the past. She is a pilot but if she was like Finn she likely would've crashed doing the stuff she was doing. She is not very capable at shooting especially when fleeing, compared to Han Solo who if you recall shoots a guy without looking. She's just competent at things, not the best at them, she has potential like any hero.

GhaleonEB

She was being just as reckless and unrefined as Kylo Ren until she allowed herself to be calm and use the force. So basically just like Luke, she was able to go from this:

to this

because she was allowed to use the force in that moment. If Kylo hadn't stopped attacking in the moment he most definitely would've overpowered her and pushed her off the edge.
The progression in those .gifs is such a great illustration, and even more stark than I remembered.

I think Kylo Ren's nature as the villain of the piece helps feed into this.

I tweeted something a couple days ago that took off pretty decently:

and I think that gets at the core of why some people are out of hand rejecting her competency and victories in the film.

Kylo Ren isn't the traditional "badass" bad guy. If anything, he's more like a metatextual commentary on shitty Star Wars fans, who take all the wrong lessons from the story being told. There are a lot of people who, whether they consciously realize it or not, see themselves in that misguided, stubborn, mean-spirited, scared character. It's why his appearance shocks the shit out of people. He takes off the mask and he looks like... a cosplayer way too into his persona. Which is what he is. He's not a badass. He's not the power-fantasy he wants to be. He's closer to a fuckin School Shooter than anything, a stupid, shithead kid who thinks the only way he can be special is to ruin everything good for whatever silly reasons he's decided to latch onto.

So that's unpleasant to a lot of people. Then combine the fact this girl, who is essentially the personification of the Luke role in the first film, but maximized and made more dynamic in a couple ways, defeats him outright. Not just mentally, but physically as well. Granted, he's handicapped during that fight, but she wins it clean, with the help of The Force.

What you're seeing are people reacting to not just the defeat of a Male Power Fantasy, but the defeat of a very specific Male Power Fantasy that is kinda laid bare as the wimpy, shitty falsehood it often is, at the hands of a character who normally (and to their mind, by all rights probably SHOULD be) is a guy, but isn't.

For a lot of people, I think what they're really reacting to is the fact their normal in to this fantasy world is now shut off. Of course, it really isn't, they just can't concieve of allowing the woman (or the black guy) to be their surrogate. So the criticism then gets poured into how stupid it was to make the villain an accurate, creepy representation of all the wrong things about that power fantasy, and how stupid it was to allow the girl to inhabit some of the same traits their favorite heroes consistently inhabit.

This is perfect. Said it better than I could. He's not a badass, he's just trying to be.

Brakke

Banned
She also is having an awakening of sorts. And she wasnt split open by a bowcaster.

She was smashed into a tree by a Force Push of almighty strength and then concussed. How does she block a single strike from Kylo she should be seeing stars lol.

ZehDon

I completely disagree with your perspective. I honestly feel like I watched a different movie.

She has faults. She goes on a journey. She is growing as a character.

I just don't see these complaints. People are welcome to them and I am allowed to be baffled.
Well, to be fair, you posted a single sentence dismal. Perhaps if you explained why my perspective is wrong, or what aspects I failed to justify, I might be able to see a different perspective. All I see is basically "well, you don't like girls doing boy things". This is amusing to me, since my favourite film of all time is Aliens and my favourite on-screen hero is Ellen Ripley. What faults does Rey have at the start of the film, how is she forced to overcome them, how do we see that she has overcome them, and what lessons has she learned by the end?

Asking these questions about Finn, for example, is easy. Finn has real character development, even going through multiple stages, before arriving at the end point of the film. To be fair, Poe doesn't have any real development, however he is also largely absent for nearly two thirds of the film. Even Solo grows and changes, though, again to be fair, he basically repeats his character arc from the original films. Rey, in my opinion, kicks ass, but she's a poorly written character forced into poorly thought situations, who's inexplicable "power up" detracts from the film, ruins the climax, and damages the perception of an otherwise terrific villain. Rey is still quite enjoyable in the film, of course, but only because Daisy Ridley nailed it with her terrific performance.

UrbanRats

The list shows just how much Rey can do. The basis of the mary sue complaint is that her abilities are excessive given what is shown/explained in the film.

And professional is perfectly fine. Scavenging for parts is exactly her job. It is how she eats.
Right, this is what i disagree with.
The list does not support the thesis that she has excessive abilities (for the most part) given what is shown in the movie, and what is the context of her upbringing.

Mentioning aspects like rappelling, just serves the purpose of inflating the list disingenuously, since... well, anyone can fucking rappel.

And yeah, professional scavenger is technically fine, i have a problem with how it's implying that it's an extraordinary ability.
She never shows to be a particular genius at it, she just goes around in a ship and collects parts, with a minimum knowledge, anyone could do that, with little to no "training".

Again, most of the "extraordinary" things she does in the movie (mostly flying like an ace) are likely tied to her ability to be in tune with the force.

These are all meaningless when he's shown he can just knock her out on a whim with the force. Him being hurt doesn't stop him from doing that. He can force push her into another tree or just paralyze her. Him losing questions how he was able to do those before. The real answer is the writers needed Kylo to lose so they gave these mental anguish and he's been shot answers when they don't hold up considering his skill set. These are the criticisms that appear when you have a man who can stop lasers, force push, pull, and paralyze people with his mind and then loses to melee. Overall the damage he suffered doesn't seem strong enough to realistically make him lose the fight.

MartyStu

The line "I don't know how I did it" heavily if not straight up confirms that she was using the force in that moment, even if voluntarily like we've seen other force sensitive characters do in the past. She is a pilot but if she was like Finn she likely would've crashed doing the stuff she was doing. She is not very capable at shooting especially when fleeing, compared to Han Solo who if you recall shoots a guy without looking. She's just competent at things, not the best at them, she has potential like any hero.

Pretty much a confirmation.

But I do not think you realize what I am arguing against: as in ANH, the force is used as a crutch and a shortcut.

Instead of better written scenarios and characters we 'use the force' and hand-wave away.

This would have been fine once, but I think it is done too many times in this movie.

PopeReal

Well, to be fair, you posted a single sentence dismal. Perhaps if you explained why my perspective is wrong, or what aspects I failed to justify, I might be able to see a different perspective. All I see is basically "well, you don't like girls doing boy things". This is amusing to me, since my favourite film of all time is Aliens and my favourite on-screen hero is Ellen Ripley. What faults does Rey have at the start of the film, how is she forced to overcome them, how do we see that she has overcome them, and what lessons has she learned by the end?

Asking these questions about Finn, for example, is easy. Finn has real character development, even going through multiple stages, before arriving at the end point of the film. To be fair, Poe doesn't have any real development, however he is also largely absent for nearly two thirds of the film. Even Solo grows and changes, though, again to be fair, he basically repeats his character arc from the original films. Rey, in my opinion, kicks ass, but she's a poorly written character forced into poorly thought situations, who's inexplicable "power up" detracts from the film, ruins the climax, and damages the perception of an otherwise terrific villain. Rey is still quite enjoyable in the film, of course, but only Daisy Ridley nailed it with her terrific performance.

That is fair. In my defense I am on mobile but I admit posting one liners comes off as dismissive.

And we agree that she kicks ass!

Crossing Eden

The progression in those .gifs is such a great illustration, and even more stark than I remembered.
Right? I love the concept of the force empowering a person if they just accept it as a natural part of themselves and lets it guide their actions for a bit.

Pretty much a confirmation.

But I do not think you realize what I am arguing against: as in ANH, the force is used as a crutch and a shortcut.

Instead of better written scenarios and characters we 'use the force' and hand-wave away.

This would have been fine once, but I think it is done too many times in this movie.
Honestly it could've been done a lot worse, part of the point of the series is that characters use the force to get out of situations. It also works as a character development device because the force is part of who the characters are. Especially Kylo Ren and Rey. The way the force is used in the context of both characters is used for character development, Ren gets so shook that he can't even pull off force pull or beat someone who possibly never used a lightsaber but is relying solely on the force to predict his movements and counter accordingly. It's like, exactly the way starwars is supposed to work.

Snake

"Rey is a Mary Sue" is the single worst (and most worthless) bit of criticism I have seen about a film (a blockbuster no less) in recent memory.

First, I really don't want to label anyone who takes issue with the character of Rey as a misogynist. It's not accurate and it's not helpful to the discussion.

BUT, the gigantic explosion in use of the term Mary Sue along the internet is absolutely due to the fact that an incredible female character/performance was just the center of a Star Wars movie, and a lot of people want to drag that character down. It is obvious. It is pathetic.

Again, just because you didn't like Rey in The Force Awakens and are saying so in this thread does not mean I am accusing you individually of being sexist or misogynistic. There are tons of differing opinions about the film. Some people like all the new characters, some like Finn and Poe, some like Rey and Finn, some like Kylo, some like none. I respect all these opinions. But if you're paying attention to social media and internet discussions in general you will see a gigantic difference in the approach to criticism of Rey versus any other Star Wars protagonist.

The use of "Mary Sue" is a lazy, bandwagon criticism with no real meaning in this context. It is not a law of criticism. It is someone's opinion, and it misused in most applications already. The criticism on its own is applicable to legions of characters within this genre, and if you're going to use this term against Rey, prepare to have it used against most of your own favorite characters.

It begins with people saying "she's perfect, she has no flaws, she does everything right!" and, if things go south, often descends into "and she's only able to do this because she's a girl and they wanted to show some girl power." As for the first criticism, arguing that Rey is portrayed as flawless is absurd. Listing how many scenes a character makes mistakes and how mathematically "perfect" he or she is nonsense, and the very act shows how stupid this kind of critical assessment really is, but here we are. Rey is consumed by the past. She is portrayed as being deluded about the prospect of her family returning. She is damaged. When she is shown that she can take a first step into her destiny, she rejects it at Takodana out of fear and an inability to deal with the fact that her family isn't coming back for her. Only at the end of the film does she take a real step towards her true destiny, and even then she is shown as uncertain. In terms of more tangible errors, Rey makes a mistake on Han's freighter which leads to people needlessly dying and puts herself and her friend in mortal danger (see how stupid this debate gets when we have to resort to such specificity to counter dumb narratives). Afterwards she loses against Kylo Ren in the woods of Takodana, is overpowered, and is carried off helplessly. There's a number of smaller moments I can't remember since I've only seen the movie once, but I shouldn't even have to go as far as I have. Not to mention the fact that this is the first entry in a trilogy, and for all we know [this is Star Wars after all] the character could see some very dark moments ahead.

Some people are clearly making the "Rey is a shallow character" and "Rey is a Mary Sue" arguments out of their own fanboy desire to highlight a character they prefer like Finn, and that's inevitable even if it's a stupid way of going about fandom. Some are doing it as part of the greater battle against J.J. Abrams and to defend George Lucas by proxy, which is also lame but I can't change the mind of someone like that. Others legitimately didn't connect with the character, which is inevitable in a large audience of fans, especially enthusiastic fans, and I have nothing against that, nor can I change one's experience with the movie for them. But denying that much of the abnormally large energy in this debate is coming from a bad place, a place to undermine a groundbreaking character (for a Star Wars movie) because she happens to be a woman, is just willful ignorance.

ZehDon

...And we agree that she kicks ass!
Indeed we do! I want a gif of the shot where Ren is trying to force pull Luke's sabre, before it flies into Rey's hands. The look where she turns it on... magic. Daisy Ridley nailed it.

Edit:
... So basically just like Luke, she was able to go from this:

to this

because she was allowed to use the force in that moment...
My issue with this comparison is that Luke literally had one of the greatest Jedi Knights of all time sitting off screen instructing him. And, of course, Luke doesn't fight with it until the next film, after more training with Yoda, and still loses pretty badly when he eventually does.

Frog-fu

Banned

- That didn't stop him from winning right up until the point of Rey's powerup
- Er, what? No. Ren killed Han. Got caught off guard with bowcaster, and then immediately afterwards hunted down Finn and Rey. Nothing in the fight suggested a crippling turmoil
- Finn singed him and it did not beyond irritating him to the point of wrecking Finn with more fancy swordplay 5 seconds later; he doesn't show any sign of injury to his arm afterwards
- The injury should have been why he lost, but he was winning in spite of it considering Finn was KTFO and he had Rey teethering on the edge of a cliff
- No, he's just seen strolling confidently into battles with just a lightsaber and blocking blaster bolts with ease at close range
- Focus wasn't the issue, he was overpowered because Rey's grip was stronger
- LMAO, REN was on the ropes? Did you even pay attention to that fight? He had Rey on a cliff and OFFERED to teach her the ways of the Force! The dude was straight up winning that fight at that point
- "I... I can airbend? I can airbend!"
- No? Anakin was much more powerful in the Force than either Dooku or Obiwan and he got wrecked by both

Uhh it's either the first one or the second one.

Uhh I meant clean as in a deus ex machina or another character teaming up to help her wasn't needed uhh

uhh

I could have been more clear about that though, you're right. I'll go back and edit the clarification in.

Thanks and uhhh

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I mean, it's star Wars, it never had particularly deep characters.
Especially if you look at A New Hope, since ESB is the movie that really elevated things.

Also, is being able to talk to droids that special of an ability? I figure it's like knowing English (if you're not a native speaker) in today's society (in a developed country anyway) not that amazing.

Finn couldn't understand it. Luke didn't understand it in the first movie, i believe? he had to ask C3PO a lot of questions about what he said

PopeReal

She was smashed into a tree by a Force Push of almighty strength and then concussed. How does she block a single strike from Kylo she should be seeing stars lol.

Fair point there. Listen, if Kylo thrashes her I don't bitch. I just think it's plausible that she holds her own.

On a side note I was rooting for Kylo the entire fight because I didn't want him to die.

MartyStu

I mean, it's star Wars, it never had particularly deep characters.
Especially if you look at A New Hope, since ESB is the movie that really elevated things.

Also, is being able to talk to droids that special of an ability? I figure it's like knowing English (if you're not a native speaker) in today's society (in a developed country anyway) not that amazing.

This is a good point that I do not think gets brought up enough.

Dhx

I think Kylo Ren's nature as the villain of the piece helps feed into this.

I tweeted something a couple days ago that took off pretty decently:

and I think that gets at the core of why some people are out of hand rejecting her competency and victories in the film.

Kylo Ren isn't the traditional "badass" bad guy. If anything, he's more like a metatextual commentary on shitty Star Wars fans, who take all the wrong lessons from the story being told. There are a lot of people who, whether they consciously realize it or not, see themselves in that misguided, stubborn, mean-spirited, scared character. It's why his appearance shocks the shit out of people. He takes off the mask and he looks like... a cosplayer way too into his persona. Which is what he is. He's not a badass. He's not the power-fantasy he wants to be. He's closer to a fuckin School Shooter than anything, a stupid, shithead kid who thinks the only way he can be special is to ruin everything good for whatever silly reasons he's decided to latch onto.

So that's unpleasant to a lot of people. Then combine the fact this girl, who is essentially the personification of the Luke role in the first film, but maximized and made more dynamic in a couple ways, defeats him outright. Not just mentally, but physically as well. Granted, he's handicapped during that fight, but she wins it clean, with the help of The Force.

What you're seeing are people reacting to not just the defeat of a Male Power Fantasy, but the defeat of a very specific Male Power Fantasy that is kinda laid bare as the wimpy, shitty falsehood it often is, at the hands of a character who normally (and to their mind, by all rights probably SHOULD be) is a guy, but isn't.

For a lot of people, I think what they're really reacting to is the fact their normal in to this fantasy world is now shut off. Of course, it really isn't, they just can't concieve of allowing the woman (or the black guy) to be their surrogate. So the criticism then gets poured into how stupid it was to make the villain an accurate, creepy representation of all the wrong things about that power fantasy, and how stupid it was to allow the girl to inhabit some of the same traits their favorite heroes consistently inhabit.

This reads like you started with an assumption and filled in the blanks to match. The vast majority of the criticisms I've read in this thread do not have anything to do with some mythical "Male Power Fantasy" or morphed expectations. They very clearly have to do with bad storytelling and poor character development.

I'm sure your quip and argument plays well on Twitter, but how does that apply to the discussion in this thread?

Rey is by far my favorite character in VII, but she is completely robbed of any true development by bad writing and the shortsighted decision to rely on a single climactic "feel the force" moment in her battle with Ren. She and the story deserved more.

EulaCapra

Rey being or not being a Mary Sue doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Adults can argue about it as long as they can, but little girls are happy to take Rey as is and dress up with their 3 braided buns and swing their lightsabers around. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/22/star-wars-force-awakens-rey

My daughters, who are 10 and 12, have never been that into the Star Wars franchise. Princess Leia and her braided buns — and Padme Amidala with her ceremonial headdresses — didn’t interest them, even when their brother was busy snapping together the LEGO Millennium Falcon. But after I saw the The Force Awakens, I insisted that all three of them come with me to see it again because of one character: Rey.

Played by newcomer Daisy Ridley — a 23-year old British actress who vaguely resembles Keira Knightley circa Bend it Like Beckham — Rey is many things: a survivor, a scavenger, an isolated figure looking for community, a pilot, a mechanic, a warrior… and a girl. But her femininity isn’t a weakness. It isn’t a strength, either. In fact, it isn’t a thing. That is not only remarkable, it’s what makes Rey the most revolutionary thing about Star Wars: The Force Awakens and hopefully the thing that translates best as this phenomenon travels the globe.

When we first meet Rey, we are introduced to her loneliness, her resourcefulness, her patience. We also immediately discover her goodness, especially when — MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD — she refuses to give up BB-8 for a mountain of food rations that will keep her from starving. Yet it isn’t until she meets Finn (John Boyega) where we get to relish watching her defy gender stereotypes. Within minutes of screen time, she disarms Finn with her spear, hides them both from stormtroopers, rescues him — no more hand-holding! — and flies the Millennium Falcon. Just like that, Finn is forced to abandon those quaint, traditional gender-role ideas that were programmed into him since birth by the dictatorial First Order. (If only Earth could adapt as quickly.)

She proves to be as smart and as daring as Han Solo, though with a layer of deep sadness that he never possessed (until this episode, that is). But it’s Kylo Ren who discovers how powerful she is, that she is his superior both mentally and physically, and it scares him. (She’s also much less prone to fits of rage, which has its benefits.) In Ren’s last-ditch effort to lure her over to the dark side we feel his desperation at being outmatched. Their final battle, in the snow, is all about good and evil. It’s never about physical strength, and it’s never about gender. Did anyone in the audience doubt for a second that she could defeat him? That she wasn’t capable? Now that’s radical, and my girls felt it immediately.

“A girl Jedi!’ my 10-year old wispered to me. “Finally!”

My 12-year old was far more interested in analyzing Rey’s look. Her beige tunic, relaxed pants, and muslin wraps around her arm — all perfectly practical for the life of a desert dweller — are destined to become iconic. Girls have been dressing up as Princess Leia for 40 years in an attempt to emulate the sole female Star Wars character that mattered, but Rey’s appearance helps compensate for the hair buns (whoever had locks long enough to pull that one off?), the white gown, and that awful copper bikini. Her outfit doesn’t sexualize her, and her hair — already nicknamed the Three Knobs — is simple, realistic and messy. “All the girls are going to want their hair to look like hers,” my daughter said. Fine by me. Unlike the Girl on Fire, Hunger Games’ Katniss Everdeen, it doesn’t require an entire glam squad — or the fear of impending death — to achieve it.

Leaving the theater, my girls felt as empowered as their brother usually does after seeing one of the many blockbusters built for him. They never commented on how pretty Rey is. They never had to flinch because Rey was a sexual object to some man in power. They just felt strong. Equal. I can only imagine how the film will feel to girls in parts of the world where women are not allowed control over their own bodies or hearts or minds. Imagine a generation of both sexes, growing up believing that girls are powerful. Imagine the force of a billion girls realizing that, one day, they can rule the galaxy.

GhaleonEB

- No? Anakin was much more powerful in the Force than either Dooku or Obiwan and he got wrecked by both

This is actually pretty consistent - we have another Force user losing because of his mental and emotional state as much as his skill set. It's a huge factor in deciding Star Wars duels in the OT.

Finn couldn't understand it. Luke didn't understand it in the first movie, i believe? he had to ask C3PO a lot of questions about what he said

I think if you do a lot of mechanical work you sorta have to learn some of it. Han knows some. Rey basically being a fulltime tinkerer salvager it makes sense she'd learn droid eventually.

Great post, personally the only thing that stood out as strange to me was how good of a pilot she was but i never made the connection of that being her moment of awakening, which now that you mention it seems pretty obvious. All of her other skills were perfectly believable given that she's managed to survive on her own in those circumstances for so long. Imagine the physical and mental endurance she must have.

It's no wonder Ren got dropped as she's got him beaten hands down on those fronts, and he knows it, which is partly why i think he'll descend into utter uncontrollable hatred, jealousy and madness in the next films. No amount of training is going to turn him into some cool and collected Dooku-esque suarve lord, he doesn't have it in him.

She's going to be trained by Luke Skywalker and he's going to go further off the deep end than Anakin imo. I'm already perched to see these guys duke it out again.

Gorillaz

As someone that only saw that five seconds of Phasma in the trailer her contribution felt like all it needed to be.
They are obviously going to do more with her character, they already mentioned it months back that she would be featured more in the sequels. She was introduced basically as a heads up for the future

MartyStu

Fair point there. Listen, if Kylo thrashes her I don't bitch. I just think it's plausible that she holds her own.

On a side note I was rooting for Kylo the entire fight because I didn't want him to die.

I would.

It would work to undermine her character. Finn losing pushes his character into that track, one where he has to rebuild himself.

Rey's journey is to be different.

I just think I would have preferred the curb-stomping not to be reversed.

This is actually pretty consistent - we have another Force user losing because of his mental and emotional state as much as his skill set. It's a huge factor in deciding Star Wars duels in the OT.

Was thinking the same thing. He sort of undermined his own point with this.

Crossing Eden

why does luke have a robot hand? I thought his robot hand in the old films looked exactly like a normal hand
Wow that is weird. Can't believe I never remembered that part. Makes one wonder why he wears a glove in ROTJ.

Exactly, every single time Anakin uses his straight up anger to recklessly fight Dooku he loses. Who is always incredibly calm while fighting.
Every

Single

Time.

The only time he uses his brain is when he defeats Dooku. Luke too overtime gets more and more distressed/afraid to the point that he's basically taking pot shots. Anger is rarely shown to be the best way to win a lightsaber duel. Even between Sith lords.

Frog-fu

Banned
This is actually pretty consistent - we have another Force user losing because of his mental and emotional state as much as his skill set. It's always been what decides Star Wars duels in the OT.

But Ren didn't lose because of his mental or emotional state. He didn't even lose because he was gravely injured.

He lost because Rey got a super convenient powerup like she was in a shōnen battle manga. THAT is the biggest problem I have with that fight.

Rey didn't outsmart Ren. She didn't exploit his weaknesses, physical or mental. She didn't win by being tough or resourceful as one would expect of her being a survivor and all.

She won because a powerup that grossly contradicts precedent. It is of the most laziest and convenient of writing out there and it sucks.

MartyStu

But Ren didn't lose because of his mental or emotional state. He didn't even lose because he was gravely injured.

He lost because Rey got a super convenient powerup like she was in a shōnen battle manga. THAT is the biggest problem I have with that fight.

Rey didn't outsmart Ren. She didn't exploit his weaknesses, physical or mental. She didn't get win by tough or resourceful.

She won because a powerup that grossly contradicts precedent. It is the most laziest and convenient of writing out there and it sucks.

That is just how things work in this universe. And yeah, it sucks.

Had she stated to taunt him like she previously did in the chair to make him lose it, this scene would have worked beautifully.

Veelk

Banned
Rey being or not being a Mary Sue doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Adults can argue about it as long as they can, but little girls are happy to take Rey as is and dress up with their 3 braided buns and swing their lightsabers around. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/22/star-wars-force-awakens-rey

Yup. I should look in to see if there is actual scientific research that measures what representation actually does for the psychological wellbeing of a community, but it's a truism that I feel is often ignored because of skewed the representation is for straight white guys. It warms my bitter old heart to see that other people are now able to participate in the escapism of high fantasy. I hope it opens the doors for other franchises to do it. I believe people underestimate how good it is that we have such a greater diversity of representation in this film, and I find it amusing to think how the first star wars was notorious in depicting the entire galaxy as white.

Wow at that essay of an OP

Don't know if Rey is a Mary Sue..

But her force powers went from 0-100 real quick, they'll probably explain it in the sequels, but for now it bothers me

PopeReal

Rey didn't outsmart Ren. She didn't exploit his weaknesses, physical or mental. She didn't get win by tough or resourceful.

She won because a powerup that grossly contradicts precedent. It is the most laziest and convenient of writing out there and it sucks.

I don't get the argument that his injury and emotional state played no bearing in his defeat. I feel like they heavily emphasized this.

Loris146

Indeed we do! I want a gif of the shot where Ren is trying to force pull Luke's sabre, before it flies into Rey's hands. The look where she turns it on... magic. Daisy Ridley nailed it.

Edit:

My issue with this comparison is that Luke literally had one of the greatest Jedi Knights of all time sitting off screen instructing him. And, of course, Luke doesn't fight with it until the next film, after more training with Yoda, and still loses pretty badly when he eventually does.

But he was against one of the most powerful Sith Lord of all time .

Brakke

Banned
Uhh I meant clean as in a deus ex machina or another character teaming up to help her wasn't needed uhh

uhh

I could have been more clear about that though, you're right. I'll go back and edit the clarification in.

Thanks and uhhh

<3

Yeah I don't even really mind Kylo losing conceptually. I just think the whole end fight was sloppily-executed. People can't agree how much the injury mattered, people can't agree if Rey was tapping the Dark Side when she cast Kylo down, the Deus Ex Earthquake was lame. It ended up reading like a job to me. It's hard to read anything coherent about Kylo from the fight, it feels like he loses so Rey can get a W.

I don't get the argument that his injury and emotional state played no bearing in his defeat. I feel like they heavily emphasized this.

It's dissonant because why isn't Rey's emotional state or injury relevant? It's not even clear if she's fighting to avenge Han, Kylo picks the fight so she's just fighting for survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom