• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rey as a Mary Sue [STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Letting the monsters loose is a happy coincidence. More importantly, it doesn't have a lasting effect on the character. Not like, say, getting one's hand chopped off by Vader or having one's home burned down by Stormtroopers. Her escape from Kylo Ten is also a cakewalk due to the OP force powers.

And yes, the fact she doesn't fail enough is my whole point. Her arc is a pretty basic action hero arc, but it fails at making the hero suffer to any significant degree, thus making their eventual triumph vastly less satisfying. Being captured by Ren is her only major slip-up, but it doesn't leave any lasting effect on the character. It's basic storytelling, and they screwed it up.

There's a lot of this going on: well she doesn't fail ENOUGH, and then an immediate comparison to Luke.

The fact that the tentacle monsters helped as much as they hurt (Finn almost died to them) doesn't really change the fact that she fucked up. To use an analogy, if I drove drunk, the fact that I didn't hit anyone wouldn't be a defense against the fact that I made the wrong decision and endangered others.

As for losing the hand and uncle... Well, I don't think it's really fair that we're looking at Luke's whole character arc across the films to compare to Rey's sole outing. Luke didn't lose his hand until. The end of the second movie, and he immediately got it replaced with a mechanical one that functioned identically and didn't even look wierd. And please remind me how Luke's aunt and uncle being murdered was his fault?

I went over the conflicts that Rey faces both internally and externally. But the truth is that Rey is in a shitting position than Luke at the beginning. Luke had people who cared for him. Rey had a scumbag boss. She lost less than Luke because she had nothing to lose until Finn and Han entered her life to give her an out from that hellhole.

Eidan

Letting the monsters loose is a happy coincidence. More importantly, it doesn't have a lasting effect on the character. Not like, say, getting one's hand chopped off by Vader or having one's home burned down by Stormtroopers. Her escape from Kylo Ten is also a cakewalk due to the OP force powers.

And yes, the fact she doesn't fail enough is my whole point. Her arc is a pretty basic action hero arc, but it fails at making the hero suffer to any significant degree, thus making their eventual triumph vastly less satisfying. Being captured by Ren is her only major slip-up, but it doesn't leave any lasting effect on the character. It's basic storytelling, and they screwed it up.
In ANH, the death of his aunt and uncle isn't a result of some failing on his part, just like Rey taking in BB-8, which ultimately forces her to flee the only home she's ever known and lead her on her journey that forces her to let go of the family that will never come for her, wasn't a failing. Luke and Rey both overcome amazing odds, and pull off incredible feats, and neither are dull are uninteresting characters because of it. This entire line of criticism is weak honestly, and really just gets at an issue discussed earlier in a thread. When a male hero overcomes odds and shows exceptional skill, they're awesome. When the character is female, it's pandering or lazy writing.

PopeReal

Is this thread turning into the no fun zone? Sheesh.

Some people are really bent that a space wizard is stronger than the next space wizard.

Eidan

I honestly have no idea how you could have read this thread and then said this. No one is saying SW is "garbage", and to compare Rey to Bourne is just silly. Being a "Mary Sue" (What a dumb term) isn't just about always succeeding, as this thread has established, oh, in the first post.
The first post actually is about Mary Sue really bring about narrative power, and the OP then explains why Rey doesn't fit the bill. Did you read it? The whole "succeeding" line of discussion is based on one poster's line of criticism ealier.

So your issue is that her failings don't have the catastrophic effects that you were hoping for?

Yes I am a bit confused over your argument.

If I was to not study for an exam and wrote down any answer but I still passed with a good grade I would say even though I "failed" I didn't actually fail. Things tend to work out for the hero and when you cram in 3 movies into one soft reboot the failures aren't going to seem like one without being properly explored. The movie went to fast and skipped over these moments so people write her off as a mary sue because of the pacing. I'm OK with it. This doesn't detract from the character, she's still good, but she can be improved.

I think one thing people tend to forget is the fact that, at their heart, Star Wars movies are supposed to be space operas that are based on the old Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s. These things are all about the unflappable hero who is a dashing do-gooder who has little to no weakness and always comes through in the clutch. Obviously, audiences and stories have become more sophisticated since then (which is why Star Wars characters generally have more nuance), but at their root, this is what they are. Luke and Rey don't stray too far from that mold.

Something else that has popped up in this thread are complaints about why the Kylo Ren character isn't a badass from day one, which confuses me. For once, we have a villain in Star Wars who isn't from that same 1930s serial-style mold, and people complain. He isn't the Anakin "I was born a badass of mythical proportions" villain or the "nobody knows a thing about me and nobody really cares" villain like Dooku. He has a backstory that's been hinted at (and will surely be fleshed out in the next two movies). He has flaws. He has internal conflicts. He has room to grow and room to become either a success or failure. But unlike other Star Wars villains, he has to earn that success or failure right in front of us, the audience.

Remember, with Anakin, we never really see him be trained up as a Force user. He went from virgin-birth miracle child capable of blowing up a droid-control space ship by total accident (thereby saving the nascent Rebellion strike a major blow against the Trade Federation), to sulking teenage badass who saves his master's life on several occasions (mostly offscreen, of course). He goes from god-child to god-adult, and we never see anything resembling a character we can identify with. He has no flaws and never fails.

I know some people are going to say "Well yeah, we saw him fail when he fell to the Dark Side," to which I say, "Shut your fat gob." He didn't fail when he fell. He fulfilled a prophecy that was written long before his birth. He did exactly as he was supposed to. Anakin's embrace of the Dark Side is his ultimate success. As a messianic character, falling to the Dark Side is as much a success for his character as Jesus' crucifixion is a success for his character.

Kylo Ren has no such prophecy to fulfill. He's flying blind and striking out on his own because something other than an ancient prophecy is guiding him. Whether that be daddy issues, mental problems, uncontrollable rage, a need to be noticed, a lust for power, or just plain jealousy because his connection to the Force wasn't as complete as it was for another student he was training with (Rey, which would explain why she's just so damn good at commanding the Force), we get to see him come to grips with those issues, fail because he's unsure of himself, and (most likely in the next movies) ultimately become the badass he's so desperate to be. Or not. We don't know because he's not racing toward a predetermined ending like Anakin was in the prequels.

For once we have a villain with flaws. A villain who's driven to be a villain for reasons other than "the Force made me do it cuz balance." A villain who isn't a mustache twirler (Dooku) or cocksure twat (young Anakin). A villain with some depth.

I say it's about damn time.

Gorillaz

The definition of Mary Sue isn't so crucial as what people are trying to say when they throw around the term; namely, that Rey is a dull protagonist. She suffers from Hermione syndrome, in that, in an effort to make a heroine appeal to the female audience in a 'nerdy' piece of fiction, she's made super OP. In Harry Potter, the only thing to really suffer was Ron's character. In SW, as the lead, the hero's journey and overall arc suffers.

She can fight like a pro. She can pilot a spaceship on the first try and outmanuever the tie fighters. She knows the mechanics of the Falcon better than Han and Chewie. Everyone but the villain is instantly fond of her. She gets a grip on the force in no time. Regarding the last one, I reject any suggestions to wait for the sequel for some potential backstory explanation as that is garbage storytelling.

Mary Sue, whatever, doesn't matter what it's called. The point is that the character is dull. She never fails once. Even at the points Kylie Ren appears to have the upper hand she just makes use of force abilities most of which Luke needed three films to pull off. The film is less engaging when the hero is sauntering through danger. This is storytelling 101 that's being swept under the rug for fear of appearing sexist I guess.
This is probably the best way to sum it up as well

Renekton

So your problem isn't that she succeeds, but that she succeeds while coming from humble beginnings? Like Luke Skywalker?
Well ANH Luke wasn't nearly Rey's tier in terms of force mastery, piloting, mechanic and electronics, melee combat, etc. Dorky too.

Veelk

Banned
If I was to not study for an exam and wrote down any answer but I still passed with a good grade I would say even though I "failed" I didn't actually fail. Things tend to work out for the hero and when you cram in 3 movies into one soft reboot the failures aren't going to seem like one without being properly explored. The movie went to fast and skipped over these moments so people write her off as a mary sue because of the pacing. I'm OK with it. This doesn't detract from the character, she's still good, but she can be improved.

I would ask why you didn't fail. If you randomly guessed 25 multiple point questions and all were correct, then I would see that as a divine miracle and that would be bad. I'd, however, you didn't study but remembered lecture material, I wouldn't consider that failing, but excellent memory retention. Or perhaps you didn't memorize anything, but you used sharp deductive reasoning to eliminate the unlikely answers, I'd call that success as well.

Your analogy presumes that there is only one path to success and anything serious means something went wrong. I disagree.

In ANH, the death of his aunt and uncle isn't a result of some failing on his part, just like Rey taking in BB-8, which ultimately forces her to flee the only home she's ever known and lead her on her journey that forces her to let go of the family that will never come for her, wasn't a failing. Luke and Rey both overcome amazing odds, and pull off incredible feats, and neither are dull are uninteresting characters because of it. This entire line of criticism is weak honestly, and really just gets at an issue discussed earlier in a thread. When a male hero overcomes odds and shows exceptional skill, they're awesome. When the character is female, it's pandering or lazy writing.
The catastrophies the hero faces don't always have to be their own fault. But they do need to face catastrophies, be it their own fault or not. Luke loses his family and Obi Wan. Rey loses Han. They also need to fail in the face of many trials in their journey. Luke bumblefucks his way throughout ANH all the way to the end. Gets his arse kicked up and down by the tuscans and bar clientelle, and then spends much if the princess rescue getting shat on by Solo/Leia. Flying the x wing is the only thing he demonstrates competence at. Rey on the other hand is a whiz at even the most minor of trials throughout the film, fighting, mechanics, piloting, using the force. She shines through it all, suffering no snark or mockery from her peers as a result. Boring.

But cheers for implying I'm sexist for expecting basic storytelling rules to what is a basic story.

Eidan

Well ANH Luke wasn't nearly Rey's tier in terms of force mastery, piloting, mechanic and electronics, melee combat, etc. Dorky too.
Rey also had a much tougher upbringing than Luke, that would explain her more advanced (but honestly, incredibly similar) skill set.

Afrodium

Banned
I think the reason this issue is so apparent with Rey is due to The Force. The Force is present in all Star Wars movies and is established as something that is mysterious and difficult to use. In the original trilogy we see Luke take three whole movies to master The Force, and when he faces off against a high-level Force user in ESB he gets his ass handed to him. So when Rey out of nowhere is able to utilize The Force in ways that it took other characters in this universe years of training to master, the viewer goes "wait, she shouldn't be that good at this!" And then they think about the whole movie and retroactively realize "hey, she's great at everything!"

As many have pointed out, Rey isn't really any less flawed than any action movie hero, but because we see her being so good with The Force, something we can only use other SE films as a frame of reference for, it makes her stand out.

Zabka

Rey had the opportunity to take up Luke's lightsaber but she ran because she was terrified. This directly lead to her being captured and Han/Finn/Chewie going to save her, resulting in the death of Han Solo and Finn being put into a coma.

That's a pretty big fuckup.

Eidan

The catastrophies the hero faces don't always have to be their own fault. But they do need to face catastrophies, be it their own fault or not. Luke loses his family and Obi Wan. Rey loses Han. They also need to fail in the face of many trials in their journey. Luke bumblefucks his way throughout ANH all the way to the end. Gets his arse kicked up and down by the tuscans and bar clientelle, and then spends much if the princess rescue getting shat on by Solo/Leia. Flying the x wing is the only thing he demonstrates competence at. Rey on the other hand is a whiz at even the most minor of trials throughout the film, fighting, mechanics, piloting, using the force. She shines through it all, suffering no snark or mockery from her peers as a result. Boring.

But cheers for implying I'm sexist for expecting basic storytelling rules to what is a basic story.

None of the things you listed that Luke supposedly failed at had long lasting effects, a criteria you previously set for Rey. I'm sorry, but I'm seeing a pretty clear double standard, and nothing you've said has convincingly shown otherwise.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The first post actually is about Mary Sue really bring about narrative power, and the OP then explains why Rey doesn't fit the bill. Did you read it?

Yes?

I guess it'll help if you explain your Jason Bourne comment.

The basic complaint about Rey is that people just don't believe she can do what she did. It's not that she keeps "succeeding". If the movie was about a poker player, and the poker player won two tournaments in a row and the movie ended, we wouldn't have the same complaints. If this same poker player also won 3 UFC tournaments without any training, then scored 50 points in a basketball game against professional players without ever picking up a basketball before, etc etc, then we would have the same complaints.

Veelk

Banned
She shines through it all, suffering no snark or mockery from her peers as a result. Boring.

Again, the freighter incident proves you wrong. It doesn't have lasting effects, but neither does Luke's bumblefuckery, as you put it, which is apparently a severe detriment to the crew according to you.

Also, this implies that the hero needs to be derided and mocked or else it is a failure of storytelling, correct? In that case, is Neo from the matrix a failure? He is mostly revered just for the possibility that he is the one by his peers, mildly poked fun at at best.

Renekton

I'd say Luke was the better pilot based on Star Wars vs TFA. And Luke had friends at least.
Rey also had a much tougher upbringing than Luke, that would explain her more advanced (but honestly, incredibly similar) skill set.
I'm not sure a rough childhood allows one to pull incredible maneuvers with Millenium Falcon at near ground altitudes evading TIE fighters and then adjusting so Finn can line up a shot from cannon damaged to one direction.

ANH Luke is a poor comparison because he didn't demonstrate amazing skill at practically anything. For the Death Star, he was assisted by the godlike Wedge (imagine if Poe was with Rey during the Millenium Falcon chase), bailed out by Han Solo, and guided by Kenobi.

This is some amazing revisionist history.

I would ask why you didn't fail. If you randomly guessed 25 multiple point questions and all were correct, then I would see that as a divine miracle and that would be bad. I'd, however, you didn't study but remembered lecture material, I wouldn't consider that failing, but excellent memory retention. Or perhaps you didn't memorize anything, but you used sharp deductive reasoning to eliminate the unlikely answers, I'd call that success as well.

Your analogy presumes that there is only one path to success and anything serious means something went wrong. I disagree.

You're looking too deep into the analogy like the movie: I passed regardless of my previous fail which makes the act less.

This is what happens with Rey because the movie is fast paced. People find the answers less than adequate. Take that how you want. Hopefully it's improved upon in XIII since they're not burdened by the soft reboot concept.

Zabka

]I'm not sure a rough childhood allows one to pull incredible maneuvers with Millenium Falcon at near ground altitudes evading TIE fighters and then adjusting so Finn can line up a shot from cannon damaged to one direction.
[/B]
ANH Luke is a poor comparison because he didn't demonstrate amazing skill at practically anything. For the Death Star, he was assisted by the godlike Wedge (imagine if Poe was wingman for Rey during the Millenium Falcon chase), bailed out by Han Solo, and guided by Kenobi.

Force sensitives are able to tap into the Force unknowingly to pull off amazing things, like a 6 year old piloting a pod racer. Rey herself says "I don't know!" when asked how she did it.

Neoweee

You're looking too deep into the analogy like the movie: I passed regardless of my previous fail which makes the act less.

This is what happens with Rey because the movie is fast paced. People find the answers less than adequate. Take that how you want. Hopefully it's improved upon in XIII since they're not burdened by the soft reboot concept.

I feel like a lot was edited out of the movie. Along with most of Phasma's stuff and some of resistance scenes, I would not be surprised if some development scenes for Rey were cut.

The second half of the movie is very brisk.

Eidan

Yes?

The basic complaint about Rey is that people just don't believe she can do what she did. It's not that she keeps "succeeding". If the movie was about a poker player, and the poker player won two tournaments in a row and the movie ended, we wouldn't have the same complaints. If this same poker player also won 3 UFC tournaments without any training, then scored 50 points in a basketball game against professional players without ever picking up a basketball before, etc etc, then we would have the same complaints.
The Jason Bourne comment is a response to a poster whose main argument was simply that Rey, our hero, succeeded too much, and failed too little, making her a dull character, and the story weaker for it. Bourne was used as an example of a hero who repeatedly succeeds, and decisively so, without issue from the audience. He then went on to explain that Bourne was fine because he was a trained assassin, which begged the question: what is the big difference between Luke and Rey? Why is one fine, and the other problematic? Which I think is where we still are. Does that make sense!

Yes?

We know next to nothing about this character though. We don't know if she'd had training in her past (it's hinted that she did). This is the first part of a planned trilogy, and you're making complaints because everything isn't spelled out in part one.

Rey had the opportunity to take up Luke's lightsaber but she ran because she was terrified. This directly lead to her being captured and Han/Finn/Chewie going to save her, resulting in the death of Han Solo and Finn being put into a coma.

This is a damn good point that shouldn't be overlooked.

Veelk

Banned

This is what happens with Rey because the movie is fast paced. People find the answers less than adequate. Take that how you want. Hopefully it's improved upon in XIII since they're not burdened by a the soft reboot concept.
It's analogy that holds because my point is there getting the answers you want sometimes requires more than the obvious approach. That people disagree about stuff is going to be an aspect of every part of life. What I ask is what conclusions are reasonable. If you think that the ONLY way to pass the test is to study, then I would say your scope is narrow. There are ways for Rey to succeed without needing any particular affects that Luke passed identically.

Mary Sue might not be the right term but OP definitely fit. They sucked all of the tension out of the final confrontation for me because Rey had already bested Ren twice before the fight even started. She breaks his force hold in the interrogation room and she out force pulled him even though she was like 25 yards away from the lightsaber. Then they had the audacity to suggest all these go to force powers were just her winging it by having her not tap into the force until Kylo mentions it by name. It was too much too fast for me.

Eidan

I'm not sure a rough childhood allows one to pull incredible maneuvers with Millenium Falcon at near ground altitudes evading TIE fighters and then adjusting so Finn can line up a shot from cannon damaged to one direction.

ANH Luke is a poor comparison because he didn't demonstrate amazing skill at practically anything. For the Death Star, he was assisted by the godlike Wedge (imagine if Poe was with Rey during the Millenium Falcon chase), bailed out by Han Solo, and guided by Kenobi.

Perhaps not a rough childhood, but having piloted before and, you know, the Force, helps.

I also love how, in an effort to diminish Rey as a character, people actively diminish Luke and his accomplishments in ANH. I mean, it's outright said that the shot Luke made was impossible. Luke said he did it all the time back home (omg the Force?). Is what he did incredible? No. It was far more Wedge and Han. Hell I'm sure Chewie's hairy ass could've made it.

Frodo

I felt the film did a good job on establishing Rey as not just a simple scavenger way before she got into Millennium Falcon's cockpit. I mean, on her first shot she is atop of a impossibly long rope searching for parts which she obviously know what they are for and how they work, since she basically refurbishes them before reselling. If you ever climbed a rope you'd know she would have to be fit to do that. She also defends herself against two guys trying to steal BB8 even before Finn had a chance to get close to her. She doesn't want to use the Millennium Falcon because she considers it to be rubbish, which shows she has previous knowledge about the ship and how it operates. So I don't think we need more excuses as to why she is excels as a mechanic (and maybe as a pilot, as Poe can pilot anything, so why can't she do the same thing if she knows how to pilot?) The only difference in between her and Anakin in this point is that Anakin is like 6 years old and can be a formidable mechanic because he has been dismantling stuff since the day he was born and that fact is mentioned out loud, meanwhile they just show Rey's case on-screen.

About Rey being able to use the Force so easily, it seems there is more to the story than what we know, via the flash-back scene. I also agree with OP when he mentions that she, unlike Luke, actually believes in everything about it, and she had previous exposure to it, at least when it comes to its existence and what the Force can do. So when she realises she can use it she just goes on to explore it. I really enjoyed the mind reading scene, btw. Daisy Ridley acting was on point, and you can tell exactly when she realises she can read his mind too.

None of the things you listed that Luke supposedly failed at had long lasting effects, a criteria you previously set for Rey. I'm sorry, but I'm seeing a pretty clear double standard, and nothing you've said has convincingly shown otherwise.
There are failures that have lasting effects on the characters. For Luke it's mainly his foster parents and Obi Wan dying, while Rey's is Han dying I suppose. Obi Wan dying has more of an effect because the mentor relationship is better developed than between Rey and Han, which is more rushed due to all the other shit going on in the film.

Then there are the personal failures that have an effect on how the audience perceives the character. Luke getting beat up all the time, getting treated like a wuss by Solo and Leia are examples of this. They give conflict and flavour and crucially humanize the character. Rey does not have these failings because she's too damn good at everything, thus she's considerably more dehumanized than Luke.

The major and minor flaws/events are all supposed to make the hero more relatable and likable, and make the finale more satisfying. Luke goes through more shit than Rey, and is a more fleshed out human character, thus he's a more satisfying hero.

This really isn't the hardest storytelling to grasp. I do suspect that Rey's gender is the cause for the filmmakers making many of these stumbles (like I said earlier, the Hermione factor), but that has no bearing on the character in the context of the story, nor on my perception of the character in the film. So your implied sexism accusations are daft, when we have all the evidence right there of one character doing the hero journey well and the other not so much.

The rebels would have assaulted the Death Planet regardless so the results would have played out the same.

Trey

Mary Sue might not be the right term but OP definitely fit. They sucked all of the tension out of the final confrontation for me because Rey had already bested Ren twice before the fight even started. She breaks his force hold in the interrogation room and she out force pulled him even though she was like 25 yards away from the lightsaber. Then they had the audacity to suggest all these go to force powers were just her winging it by having her not tap into the force until Kylo mentions it by name. It was too much too fast for me.

A lot of my problems with the movie can be summed up as too much too fast. Mostly all of the characters have their back stories and motivations just jammed in there and expected to go over without too many folks taking a second look.

Frodo

I see you mentioning Hermione, but have you actually read the books? Hermione isn't just super useful because she is female and J.K.Rowling had an agenda, Hermione actually studied like crazy, to the point she was basically making copies of her self with time travelling so she could study more.

Neff

Vader said it himself- "The Force is strong in this one". It's true that Luke saved the galaxy (temporarily) with the power of friendship™, but it was Luke alone who pulled off that impossible, film-winning shot, by relying on himself rather than technology.

When Rey is piloting the Falcon, she's not doing it confidently or deliberately (and initially does a piss-poor job of it). She's gambling, and wincing at every near-miss as though it's blind luck pulling her through. In hindsight, we know that it's her Force ability which is contributing to her amazing skills- but she doesn't.

It's a tricky comparison because Abrams upgraded The Force in several ways in his movie. People are doing things in TFA which were never even hinted at in I-VI.

Luke had his skills progress over the course of three movies. Talented pilot, force potential, still almost gets his ass handed to him in a bar. He progresses into a decent force user and vaguely competent duelest in Empire, yet he nearly dies and loses a hand. It isn't till the last movie that he has a fully formed hero skillset that he is competent with.

When comparing Rey vs Luke, Rey doesn't really struggle or have to work for her powers like Luke did, she is quasi-Empire Luke skill/power-level without a Yoda/Kenobi teacher by the end of this first movie... But if she was trained by Luke as a child which they have already eluded to, there should be enough wiggle room with her back story in Episode 8 to justify most of her current abilities in a satisfying way.

Maybe she was a prodigy and Luke gave her amnesia to help protect her from Snoke, there are plenty of options like that to explain away things like her using Jedi mind tricks.

Veelk

Banned
This really isn't the hardest storytelling to grasp. I do suspect that Rey's gender is the cause for the filmmakers making many of these stumbles (like I said earlier, the Hermione factor), but that has no bearing on the character in the context of the story, nor on my perception of the character in the film. So your implied sexism accusations are daft, when we have all the evidence right there of one character doing the hero journey well and the other not so much.

Statistically speaking, your perceptions are likelier to have been influenced by sexism if you are of the belief that you aren't influenced by sexism. Systems of prejudice are insidious little shits like that.

Dunno what to say to this other than to suggest you rewatch ANH. Please point out all the points Luke demonstrates extraordinary skill in the film.

Blowing up the Death Star in one shot, without the assistance of a targeting computer, by using the Force after having had five minutes of training in the back of the Falcon.

But you're right. That's not extraordinary skill at all.

Why the hell are people now calling TFA a soft reboot. This is a direct sequel

commish

We know next to nothing about this character though. We don't know if she'd had training in her past (it's hinted that she did). This is the first part of a planned trilogy, and you're making complaints because everything isn't spelled out in part one.

So, we can't criticize an aspect of the movie now because a movie released in a few years might explain something in this movie? Okay, well that is one approach I guess. I will judge this movie based on what they presented. I take it for what it is.

XenodudeX

The definition of Mary Sue isn't so crucial as what people are trying to say when they throw around the term; namely, that Rey is a dull protagonist. She suffers from Hermione syndrome, in that, in an effort to make a heroine appeal to the female audience in a 'nerdy' piece of fiction, she's made super OP. In Harry Potter, the only thing to really suffer was Ron's character. In SW, as the lead, the hero's journey and overall arc suffers.

She can fight like a pro. She can pilot a spaceship on the first try and outmanuever the tie fighters. She knows the mechanics of the Falcon better than Han and Chewie. Everyone but the villain is instantly fond of her. She gets a grip on the force in no time. Regarding the last one, I reject any suggestions to wait for the sequel for some potential backstory explanation as that is garbage storytelling.

Mary Sue, whatever, doesn't matter what it's called. The point is that the character is dull. She never fails once. Even at the points Kylie Ren appears to have the upper hand she just makes use of force abilities most of which Luke needed three films to pull off. The film is less engaging when the hero is sauntering through danger. This is storytelling 101 that's being swept under the rug for fear of appearing sexist I guess.

Yeah this is my feeling

Luke was a picked on dork, and suddenly the origin of the double standard became crystal clear.
I'm not sure what you mean, but yes, he spends most of the film being a dork throughout the film, relying on others to save his ass on multiple occasions until he is forced up to bat and the end of the film and pulls it off against the odds. It's the hero's journey and it's done simply and done well. Rey meanwhile is hitting home runs 20 minutes into the film. Is this clear yet.

commish

Blowing up the Death Star in one shot, without the assistance of a targeting computer, by using the Force after having had five minutes of training in the back of the Falcon.

I still don't get why we are still on Luke when talking about Rey. Even if all these things about Luke are true, SO WHAT. That doesn't mean it's okay with Rey.

Anyway, let's keep in mind that, during the briefing, Luke said that he could make that shot, no sweat. He'd made shots of similar difficulty before, he said.

Goodstyle

Can we just establish that Rey is significantly more competent than Luke was? Because pretending that she wasn't is disingenuous as fuck. Let's move on from this line of discussion.

So if Rey is better than Luke, what exactly is wrong with that? There are such things as geniuses. Why is it hard to accept that Rey is some kind of prodigy?

Yep, one extraordinary feat. At the very end of the film. After plenty of character development.

Any others?

Edit:
Can we just establish that Rey is significantly more competent than Luke was? Because pretending that she wasn't is disingenuous as fuck. Let's move on from this line of discussion.

So if Rey is better than Luke, what exactly is wrong with that? There are such things as geniuses. Why is it hard to accept that Rey is some kind of prodigy?
It's very very boring. Same problem as Avatar. Chosen one characters who don't suffer much are dull as dishwater.

Eidan

I see you mentioning Hermione, but have you actually read the books? Hermione isn't just super useful because she is female and J.K.Rowling had an agenda, Hermione actually studied like crazy, to the point she was basically making copies of her self with time travelling so she could study more.
She's also initially villified for being so studious, and her Muggle-parentage makes her the victim of outright prejudice in the Wizarding world. Surely if Luke is fine because Han and Leia rib him during ANH, then the guy must be fine with Hermione considering all she goes through in the Potter series...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom