• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick PC details, shots

Solid

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56948

Those following the game's path to the PC - having enjoyed success and widespread critical acclaim on the Xbox this August - will recall that this is a new "Developer's Cut" version, which looks more detailed than its Xbox counterpart and features a number of new gameplay elements.

According to VU's press literature, those new elements consist of "exclusive content in the form of a mech for players to control, as well as a new arena where players can test their survival skills against some of the most hardened criminals in the galaxy."

"We envision The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Developer's Cut to be the latest iteration in an ongoing franchise of games based-on and inspired by the Riddick universe," says Cos Lazouras, production executive, Tigon Studios.

"Like the console version, players of the Developer's Cut will be treated to a game that blends multiple gaming genres into one seminal gaming experience. However, for the developers cut we further refined the experience adding more action, enemies and locations for the player to explore."

Riddick000462.jpg

Riddick000600.jpg

Riddick000219.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thank god they ditched that nasty filter...

I normally love post processing effects, but the one used in the XBOX game was just nasty and made the game looked ultra blocky at times.

I'd enjoy playing it again on the PC. Fun game, I must say. Sorta felt like Deus Ex-lite, only it was a bit too short...

Deku Tree

Deepthroat said:
According to VU's press literature, those new elements consist of "exclusive content in the form of a mech for players to control, as well as a new arena where players can test their survival skills against some of the most hardened criminals in the galaxy."

That sounds to me like a multiplayer mode which would have been a sweet addition to my xbox version!

dark10x

Honestly, looking at it again, it really stands up to Doom 3 very well (in some ways, it even seems to exceed it). The only thing holding it back is the fairly simple world geometry (Doom 3's areas were EXTREMELY complex and very dense, despite their small size).

teepo

the pc and xbox comparison is like a ps2 and xbox one.

the pc one is just sharper, better details, better shadows, and so on. much better overall.

still doesn't look as good as doom3 to me.

dark10x

The ground texture actually look worse in the PC shot...

However, that still does not properly represent the XBOX version. That nasty filter made parts of the game look as if they were running in some incredibly low resolution. It was just awful looking...

epmode

teepo said:
yeah. at least it's a better game.

dark10x, the low-res riddick issue wasn't a filter, as far as i can tell. if it is, then it's a bug, because it would go from nice 640x480 to a pixely mess in the same room, depending on where you were looking. my guess is that it was implemented to keep the framerate from dropping. looks like shit on a vga monitor, though.

Shompola

Banned
teepo said:
the pc and xbox comparison is like a ps2 and xbox one.

the pc one is just sharper, better details, better shadows, and so on. much better overall.

ehh they look virtually the same. and shadows? you mean because those particular shadows are black instead of gray? that's because of where the point lights are positioned in those particular shots.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Like Silent Hill 2, there's a grain/noise filter applied IIRC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
that xbox shot is fucked up too. the xbox version of the level looks identical to the PC version, not that screenshot from ign. Plus you can see the dudes face in the front on the xbox version as well.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
How could it be identical at a 640 x 480? The PC version is at least 1024x768.

Brofist

DaCocoBrova said:
How could it be identical at a 640 x 480? The PC version is at least 1024x768.

shit I run most of my PC games at 1600 x 1200, at pretty high detail. No f'n way the Xbox version will look close to the version I'll be running on PC.

epmode

DaCocoBrova said:
Like Silent Hill 2, there's a grain/noise filter applied IIRC.
try playing it with a vga adapter. while there are atmospheric effects in some areas, there's no grain filter.

Sweet indeed! I'll have to keep an eye out for the PC version. Way to go StarBreeze. Now if we could get them to chnage their minds and develop a sequel to Enclave....

dark10x

kpop100 said:
shit I run most of my PC games at 1600 x 1200, at pretty high detail. No f'n way the Xbox version will look close to the version I'll be running on PC.

Holy shit, 1600x1200? What kind of beast do you have?

Brofist

dark10x said:
Holy shit, 1600x1200? What kind of beast do you have?

X800 Pro
P4 3.2 GHz 800 FS (OC'ed to 3.6)
1 GB Corsair PC 3200

Obviously not the fastest rig you can get now, but I don't mind sacrificing a few fps for high res/detail (I still mean in the 60 fps range though)

Brofist

ArcadeStickMonk said:
It's either from the future or it's a 30 Frame Machine

For Doom 3 yeah you're right... at 1600 of course...most games no prob (UT2K4, Far Cry for ex.) Dunno about Riddick though...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Riddick000600.jpg

Character models look great, and this game should run/look much better on the PC, but it looks like they yanked the level textures straight out of the X-Box version. Hopefully the game will be supporting higher-res textures in that regard...

dark10x

Character models look great, and this game should run/look much better on the PC, but it looks like they yanked the level textures straight out of the X-Box version. Hopefully the game will be supporting higher-res textures in that regard...

What's wrong with the textures present? They look higher res than the textures in Doom 3 (even though there is less texture variety).

jonhuz

Yeah primarily FPS, with some stealth action. Fight system could have done with a bit more work.
Nice Riddick vision effects ;)
Worth playing if your a fan of the films, ties a few things together and has probably best voice acting in any game.

Brannon

Yeah primarily FPS, with some stealth action.

I was thinking more along 60% stealth if you weren't rich/observant enough. I was amazed when I realized that I'd been without a gun in an FPS for an extended period of time, and multiple times at that.

Still love the Prototype Rifle. The power of the Sun in the palm of my hands and all that...

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
jonhuz said:
Yeah primarily FPS, with some stealth action. Fight system could have done with a bit more work.
Nice Riddick vision effects ;)
Worth playing if your a fan of the films, ties a few things together and has probably best voice acting in any game.

I enjoyed the fight system, i loved the left and rights hooks, then throwing in an uppercut. I felt like i was playing punchout heh

jett

D-Member
Redbeard said:
Can't say it's that big a difference.

Xbox
riddick_013004_003.jpg

PC
Riddick000462.jpg

The difference is you'll be actually playing at those resolutions in your PC. :p

Riddick000600.jpg

That's goddamn fucking impressive.

Top Bottom