• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

gkryhewy said:
Thanks for the impressions. It seems that old-school Ridge fans generally love the game, which is all I need to know.
Seconded... I preordered this with my 3DS; I knew it would rock my Ridge Racer world... It was the launch game that made my PSP purchase worthwhile, and it's going to do the same for Nintendy's new portable... I can't wait! Go! Go! Go!

When was the last time we had RR that wasn't 60 fps? It's been awhile so this is a sad step backward. Had it at least been 60 fps in 2D and 30 fps in 3D, I might have gotten it since I'm a huge fan, but to me 30 fps is unacceptable, especially at that price point. Maybe $20 I might give it a go, but no way at $30, and hell no at $40.

Bii

Had Ridge Racer 3D preordered on Amazon and got a shipment notification in my e-mail. I was not expecting this as this game was a "maybe" for me. I suppose I'll keep it now that it's being shipped out (expected to be here tomorrow!).

Domstercool

End of the day, 30 fps or not, it still seems to be a decent arcade racer. Hell Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was 30fps and that was a brilliant racer.

Amir0x

Banned
man looking at the boxes of games for systems not out yet always gets me so anxious. I got Trauma Center a week early for Wii and then all I did was opened the box and just eyed it an anticipatory fashion now and then. Was a real bummer lol

seems history going to repeat itself with Ridge Racer 3DS

PKrockin

Argh, Scamco why can't you release Tales of the Abyss instead of this

Nothing against Ridge Racer, it looks... well, passable... especially when your competition is Asphalt. That game makes me shake my head and laugh.

Effect

Another trailer for the game from IGN.

Youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqBqiwH0TyE

I thought I had Free Shipping selected on my preorder at Amazon.com. Standard shipping. :( I figured Free would be enough to get it here at the same time as the 3DS but I guess I could keep it in the Amazon box so I won't feel tortured.

Amir0x

Banned
PKrockin said:
Argh, Scamco why can't you release Tales of the Abyss instead of this

Nothing against Ridge Racer, it looks... well, passable... especially when your competition is Asphalt. That game makes me shake my head and laugh.

i'd buy Abyss. Loading make the PS2 original essentially unplayable for me

PKrockin

I know what you mean. If they'd fix that and the horrible overworld performance I'd buy it for a $40 second playthrough in a heartbeat.

Edit: That trailer makes the game look a bit better actually... maybe it's the tracks they're showing off.

Amir0x

Banned
PKrockin said:
I know what you mean. If they'd fix that and the horrible overworld performance I'd buy it for a $40 second playthrough in a heartbeat.

Edit: That trailer makes the game look a bit better actually... maybe it's the tracks they're showing off.

from what Namco says the loading is improved.

dvolovets

Has anybody play-tested the US/EU versions of the game to see if the loading times have been significantly improved? I'm seriously considering picking this up if they have been.

Woffls

The reviews seem quite favourable, especially the Eurogamer one. I've not bought a Ridge Racer since 6, and it looks like I won't buy the other one they announced, nor am I interested in playing the other racers announced for 3DS... except Mario Kart, maybe.

I got this for free with a 6 month sub to Official Nintendo Magazine for £20, so I sure as hell won't have buyers remorse over some bad graphics - though it looks fine from some of those screens. If it handles like Ridge Racer is supposed to, then I'll be happy.

Amir0x said:
yeah too bad you can't separate visuals and gameplay when it comes to framerate. That's just how integral framerate is.

60fps is the golden standard, just incalculably more important than any other visual aspect for racing games and fighting games (and action games like DmC/Bayonetta). If you disagree for a racer, you're not a real racing fan. If that seems condescending, it's meant to be.
I guess I'm not a real racing fan then. Dirt 1, for example, had a sub 30 frame rate plus very noticeable tearing and I loved it anyway; in fact, it's one of my favorite racing games of all time.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Neuromancer said:
I guess I'm not a real racing fan then. Dirt 1, for example, had a sub 30 frame rate plus very noticeable tearing and I loved it anyway; in fact, it's one of my favorite racing games of all time.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I don't think 60 fps is an absolute necessary as there are racing games that I play that don't have it, but it absolutely should be the goal. The problem with Ridge Racer is its already established that 60 fps was a core component as its been ages since there was a Ridge Racer that wasn't 60 fps. In fact even the PSP had them at 60 fps on day 1 so it's even been established in the portable space. So here, where a franchise is so known for its framerate, it's sad that years later, it can't be done.

Marty Chinn said:
So here, where a franchise is so known for its framerate, it's sad that years later, it can't be done.
Fair enough and especially so because this game doesn't look like a graphical powerhouse in any other regards.

I came in here to confirm 60FPS...

Really bumbed it's not 60... I really wanta full 3D, 60FPS title, like Zelda or Star Fox...

Hopefully down the road they unlock the processor, allowing for more advanced titles that push 60FPS.

Hopefully I can still demo Ridge Racer somehow, because I'm a huge RR fan and really want a 3d racer. I just have trouble enjoying 30FPS racing, it's just a pet peave of mind (and why I could never get into Project Gotham racing on 360).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Arpharmd B said:
I came in here to confirm 60FPS...

Really bumbed it's not 60... I really wanta full 3D, 60FPS title, like Zelda or Star Fox...

Hopefully down the road they unlock the processor, allowing for more advanced titles that push 60FPS.

Hopefully I can still demo Ridge Racer somehow, because I'm a huge RR fan and really want a 3d racer. I just have trouble enjoying 30FPS racing, it's just a pet peave of mind (and why I could never get into Project Gotham racing on 360).

Yeah, 30fps racing games really bug me as well.

Not really surprised with this though. Launch game + (now shitty) Namco + non-Sony hardware. RR's glory days are long gone :(

Linkup

Namco have found other ways to make the most of the 3DS's new features, and Ridge Racer 3D does a fair job of integrating StreetPass with a feature that downloads ghosts of fellow players in the background. Combined with online play for four players and it certainly ticks all the boxes, if doing so without any particular flair.

I thought it was confirmed that it didn't have online multiplayer? More IGN bs?

john tv

Linkup said:
I thought it was confirmed that it didn't have online multiplayer? More IGN bs?
Uh, what? Did they add online for the US version...?

EDIT: Err, referring to the IGN review, not your quote. :)

angelfly

john tv said:

EDIT: Err, referring to the IGN review, not your quote. :)
I doubt it. Sounds like a mistake on their part for a feature they didn't test.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Friend said to me today 'Girl I like added me on Facebook today'. I said 'You've entered the Slipstream, go for it!'

I've been playing too much of this game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
john tv said:

I've got the game and the manual specifically says only local multiplayer.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Plinko said:
I've got the game and the manual specifically says only local multiplayer.

So what the hell is the thing that it saves on the SD card?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
VOOK said:
So what the hell is the thing that it saves on the SD card?

I think it's the "Streetpass Duels"--you get ghost data through Streetpass. If you beat the other person's times, the ghost data is deleted. If you lose, you gain no points and the ghost data remains.

Getting ghost data from Streetpass is a great idea but I'm not sure I like the fact that if you can't beat them you can't ever delete the data.

just wanna say that this game is GREAT and easily my favourite of the launch lineup.

graphically it is disappointing, i'm not gonna lie (though it does have its moments), but this is made up for entirely by the sheer haptic bliss that is the 3DS circle pad, which may well be the greatest ridge racer control mechanism yet devised - seriously, they could've released a 3DS with a playstation control lead sticking out the back for the first four games and i'd have dug it more than the negcon. why? because it strikes the perfect balance between giving you analog control (which is what you need for racing games these days) and maintaining the responsiveness of a d-pad (which is what you need for ridge racer). also the course selection and music etc are as good as you'd hope for, so yeah, if you like ridge racer or FUN i highly recommend this game even though its qualities have absolutely nothing to do with the effort that has evidently been put into it.

also it doesn't delete the data if you beat someone via streetpass, you can always go back and beat them better.

Plinko

345triangle said:
also it doesn't delete the data if you beat someone via streetpass, you can always go back and beat them better.

I was just quoting the instruction booklet--"You earn points when you win the race and your opponent's Ghost Data will be deleted." I can't play the game yet because I don't have my system.

Thanks for the positive impressions--I felt remorse when Amazon shipped it but I'm feeling better now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
yeah too bad you can't separate visuals and gameplay when it comes to framerate. That's just how integral framerate is.

60fps is the golden standard, just incalculably more important than any other visual aspect for racing games and fighting games (and action games like DmC/Bayonetta). If you disagree for a racer, you're not a real racing fan. If that seems condescending, it's meant to be.

you can agree, but also accept that if you ignore all racing games that aren't 60fps, you'd be missing out on a lot of great racing games.

60fps can make a great racing game even greater. But it won't make a shit racing game suddenly good.

and a great racing game won't suddenly become shit just because its 30fps

Marty Chinn said:
When was the last time we had RR that wasn't 60 fps? It's been awhile so this is a sad step backward. Had it at least been 60 fps in 2D and 30 fps in 3D, I might have gotten it since I'm a huge fan, but to me 30 fps is unacceptable, especially at that price point. Maybe $20 I might give it a go, but no way at $30, and hell no at $40.
R4 is 30 fps. that's what i've been playing in preperation, and it plays just fine at 30 :)

i'm don't generally race at 30 (do all my racing on PC when it's an option), but R4 is playing just fine so i'm not too worried about it.

to say Ridge Racer needs 60 fps or it's bad is to say R4 is bad, and as someone that hadn't played R4 until it came out on PSN just the other week, I have zero nostalgia for it, and even I can't sign onto that.

moozoom

Still not sure If i'll buy this game when I'll go pick my 3DS later this afternoon...

I have one question about the cars : I'm not very fond of the muscle cars i've seen in the screenshots, are there other types of vehicles you can unlock ? My favorite RR game is Rage Racer, and I loved the cute car ( AGE I think) which looked like a Fiat 500 / Austin mini. (in RR PSP2 there was a similar looking Age Angelus kid which was also cute)

Also, are there funny unlocks like the pac-man car in RR type4 ? (loved the music)

Wait, offline only AND 30fps in 2D mode?! Ugh, goddamn!

Hopefully Sega and Sumo get busy on 3DS, someone needs to show Scamco how it's done.

jesusraz

Are reviews being added to the OP? If so, here's my 8/10 review for Cubed3 that went up yesterday: http://www.cubed3.com/review/953

No online - definitely a mistake on IGN's part. StreetPass only, playing against Ghosts. I had the most fun with the extensive Grand Prix mode anyway. Thoroughly enjoyable, back-to-basics Ridge Racer fun.

samoset

I've never played a Ridge Racer before but went ahead and picked this up yesterday when I was out. Since much of the negative feedback or apathy towards this version has been from longtime fans not seeing much development in the series; hopefully as a newcomer it will be a great release even though it'll be a been there done that time of thing for most. Hype rising can't wait for this week to be over.

C3 Review: http://www.cubed3.com/review/953 [8/10]

Namco Bandai has delivered not only one of the best launch games for the Nintendo 3DS with Ridge Racer 3D, but has also managed to drag the series back from the brink, rescuing it from potential obscurity by dragging it kicking and screaming to the roots that made the original arcade experience so exhilarating in the first place. Ridge Racer 3D is easily one of the safest options when choosing your first few Nintendo 3DS titles.

mrklaw said:
you can agree, but also accept that if you ignore all racing games that aren't 60fps, you'd be missing out on a lot of great racing games.

60fps can make a great racing game even greater. But it won't make a shit racing game suddenly good.

and a great racing game won't suddenly become shit just because its 30fps
I wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a Gran Turismo fan if those games ran at 30.

WillyFive

Let those other guys play their Dreamcast ports. We getting Ridge Racer.

jesusraz said:
Are reviews being added to the OP? If so, here's my 8/10 review for Cubed3 that went up yesterday: http://www.cubed3.com/review/953

No online - definitely a mistake on IGN's part. StreetPass only, playing against Ghosts. I had the most fun with the extensive Grand Prix mode anyway. Thoroughly enjoyable, back-to-basics Ridge Racer fun.

Sounds great.

I don't like adding reviews to my OP's, since I think going off each other in the community has more impact than just professional reviews.

Playing this quickly as I just got my 3DS and want to try an actual game. Midway on the slider is definitely the sweet spot for me. Full 3D is an eye-killer! Could just be that it's 1:30am, but I can definitely feel the difference.
That said, I can put it up full on the replays and it isn't too bad.

Enjoying it so far though! Ridge Racer in 3D with Move Me is just <3 <3 <3

angelfly

RR is very sensitive about the sweet spot when the slider is all the way up. Regardless I always like playing with it all the way up.

Top Bottom