• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rings of Power Season 2 Trailer Released

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If people said this season is better, than I would jump back. But seeing all the comments here and reviews, I'm not gonna waste my time.

If people said this season is better, than I would jump back. But seeing all the comments here and reviews, I'm not gonna waste my time.
1st 3 episodes were about the same 'quality' but episode 4 is a total stinker 2 out of 10 episode and it only gets the 2 for making me laugh at how bad it is a few times.

Ironbunny

They said something along the lines that it made sense to them that the world they are making should reflect the modern world. So that's what you get no matter how retarded it is. Everywhere is like a multicultural city. They could've easily had diverse casting by making the halfoots brown skinned and the stoors and other desert people black but no fuck logic everywhere has to be multicultural.

Yea its mind blowing how stupidly it is made. They could easily make it make sense yet instead they choose this. :( The viewer needs to detach themself from reality or rational thinking to make it somewhat make sense here. But to actually write this and then film it...and think you did a great job...WTF.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
First 3 episodes were amazing, way better than season 1.

Some of you just get so bent out of shape over shit I just don’t care about. Having every dwarf be the same ethnicity just wouldn’t change anything for me lol

Last edited:

Some of you just get so bent out of shape over shit I just don’t care about. Having every dwarf be the same ethnicity just wouldn’t change anything for me lol
As I said before, I know nothing about the books so I don't give a fuck about being honest to the material or not. I thought S1 was ok and the first 3 episodes in S2 were very good, apart from the baby orc scene which doesn't really make sense IMO. Other than that, 🤷‍♂️

Oberstein

Some of the criticisms are quite accurate. They point out problems with the lore and numerous storytelling issues. After all, you're right, you have to be fair and weigh up the positive and negative points, because not everything in this series is bad.

But it could have been so much better, and especially without having to put so much dough on the table. A few points that annoy me:

- Galadriel and Arondir are like main characters in anime, they're the only ones who do pirouettes in every direction. The other elves, especially in this episode 4, seem heavy and barely move. This was already the case with Legolas, and it's frankly not a good idea in PJ's trilogy.
- The callbacks. In an attempt to win over fans, they make references to Jackson's trilogy - a little too many, in fact. I'd like to see more of the spirit of the books and less of the films.
- Too many fillers, there are already too many storylines scattered all over the place. At some point, something big is going to happen in Numenor, but we never spend any time there. As a result, nobody likes this section when it should be essential.
- Too many pretexts for drama: Galadriel and Elrond, for example. Out of nowhere and unnecessarily.
- Turning the creation order of the rings upside down is the biggest bullshit of the series.
- Isildur has the charisma of an oyster...
- Elves don't look like elves (apart from Cirdan and a few others).
- Diversity so over-exaggerated it's ridiculous. The elf team is the perfect example, and it's so overdone that it irritates people. We're talking about a medieval fantasy world with a powerful emphasis on geography and lineage, not a vision of New York or California.

It's a shame, because I find the general aesthetic really pleasing, some good scenes (Annatar, the dwarves, etc.), good actors (not always well served by the text), better pacing, successful prosthetics for the orcs, a very nice soundtrack, etc. But I'll wait for my judgment on the last 4 episodes, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Who knows?

Mossybrew

Yeah I've been feeling absolutely zero motivation to watch this new season. Maybe I'll come back around to it when I'm desperate for something to watch.

Last edited:
Amazon is so desperate for viewers that Rings of Power shot up to the top of my "Continue watching" list despite not even finishing the first season nearly 2 years ago
etdHUME.png

The other 3 (top row) were within the last month and suddenly this crap shows up... I'm onto you, Amazon.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Episode 2 takes:

Cirdan is like cut content from PJ's LOTR trilogy. He's the first elf who looks and talks like he belongs to Middle-Earth.

It was most apprent when he was giving an epic speech to Elrond while shaving. Elrond in contrast stands awkwardly behind him in hunched nerd posture, fists clenched. These guys need posture training. I've seen bad posture break the illusion in other fantasy shows too.

Episode 2 was too close for comfort with Star Wars TV shows. We have a sith lord, his masked henchman (Mandalorian or whatever), walking in the desert (Tatooine), tusken raiders, rebel alliance planning over their star map (elf council) and on and on....

I said in in season 1 thread and I'll say it again: fire the editor. My brain is fried from switching up the subplot every 10 minutes when it doesn't make sense from a pacing perspective.

edit: Galadriel had a nice dress. They changed it from ep 1.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Mixed feelings on this weeks episode.

It was entertaining enough but it was distracting how heavily lifted the plot was from In the House of Tom Bombadil and Fog on the Barrowdowns. Basically transposed the plot of these chapters into second age clumsily.

Tom was okay. But lacked the whimsy and was too "aware" and caring about the world.

Also damn, the night time cinematography fucking sucks. Its way too dark. I can turn up my brightness but it makes everyrhing else washed out.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just started this new season and it's not bad so far (2 episodes in). They better deliver on the epic battles that they hint at in the 'this season on' trailer. That was my biggest disappointment with the first season, they lacked anything really epic other than the volcano.
Also - the fact that they aren't trying to fool us over who is Sauron has definitely helped some of the characters be less boring.

Last edited:
Amazon is so desperate for viewers that Rings of Power shot up to the top of my "Continue watching" list despite not even finishing the first season nearly 2 years ago
etdHUME.png

The other 3 (top row) were within the last month and suddenly this crap shows up... I'm onto you, Amazon.
Its with all these lists for every streaming service. 'top in your country' for every new release lol.

Melon Husk

Got nothing to say about ep 3, real snoozefest that one. If only they focused on one storyline per episode, if only... gah.
There's unwarranted abuse toward royalty and it's happened on three separate occasions now.

In episode 4 we started veering into the clownish territory again.
On a positive note, our main protagonist Galadriel hasn't done anything cringe this season.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm not bent out of shape, I'm just tired of this shite.

It's that they've very clearly made this a diversity thing in casting and direction. The story, logic, and acting skill be screwed; they want you to know they are diverse.

I don't reward such shit.

They should have just done faithful adaptations of specific chapters from The Silmarillion as self-contained stories/seasons like True Detective. Could have been so much better.

Hopefully LotR: The War of the Rohirrim delivers.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They should have just done faithful adaptations of specific chapters from The Silmarillion as self-contained stories/seasons like True Detective. Could have been so much better.

No. Amazon would have made a complete mess of that. In fact, that's one book I hope never gets an adaptation. Some things should remain sacred.

Hopefully LotR: The War of the Rohirrim delivers.

It has the same problem with this series. It's not based on a book, which means the writers can go full fan fiction mode and make a mess of Tolkien's world.

Musashipan

So sad they can't keep it true to Tolkiens work
Imagine if PJ had 1 billion dollars to make the series, same way he did with Lotrs.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So sad they can't keep it true to Tolkiens work
Imagine if PJ had 1 billion dollars to make the series, same way he did with Lotrs.
PJ definitely took liberties as well, though he reigned in the most egregious ones (pushing Arwen all over the place). He did nail a visual aesthetic and captured a lot of the emotional themes of the books. But by no means are the LOTR films word accurate to the books, nor do I want them to be as the different mediums do require slightly different approaches.

But RoP is sooooooooo far off reservation, plus S1 was just BAD, not just a bad Tolkien adaptation, but a dull, insipid, sloppy mess period. The Harfoots were completely useless, all the crap with the Numenoreans was a pale shadow of that they should have been, and the less Galadrial the better.

Ulysses 31

The Harfoots were completely useless, all the crap with the Numenoreans was a pale shadow of that they should have been, and the less Galadrial the better.
They needed the Numenoreans to be a mere shell of what they are in the book so Galadriel could come along and show them how to fight. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
No. Amazon would have made a complete mess of that. In fact, that's one book I hope never gets an adaptation. Some things should remain sacred.

It has the same problem with this series. It's not based on a book, which means the writers can go full fan fiction mode and make a mess of Tolkien's world.
Yes, some things should remain sacred, but I still think there would be less likelihood of Amazon messing it up like they've done with Rings of Power if they could focus on telling self-contained stories (chapters) per season and not trying to adapt the entire Silmarillion. We'll never know though.

Amazon has hits and misses. Rings of Power sucks, but Fallout wasn't bad, we'll see how the Yakuza show turns out.

Also, the animated Witcher movie Nightmare of the Wolf wasn't based on anything in the books, and it was excellent. It's possible for studios to make new stories that still do right by the original works; as will hopefully be the case with The War of the Rohirrim.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes, some things should remain sacred, but I still think there would be less likelihood of Amazon messing it up like they've done with Rings of Power if they could focus on telling self-contained stories (chapters) per season and not trying to adapt the entire Silmarillion. We'll never know though.

Amazon would still balls it up. I think anyone would. It's not really a book that can be easily adapted. Before PJ adapted Lord of the Rings, people said it was impossible to adapt into film properly. The Silmarillion would be even more difficult to adapt, even with self contained episodes.

I think we forget that Tolkien was working on the Silmarillion well before Lord of the Rings. It was his passion project and his hobby, kind of like a man and his model train set, just on a more personal level. He never originally intended for it to be a published work, let alone had visions of it to be adapted into film. Which is why it should be left well alone.

Also, the animated Witcher movie Nightmare of the Wolf wasn't based on anything in the books, and it was excellent. It's possible for studios to make new stories that still do right by the original works; as will hopefully be the case with The War of the Rohirrim.

Yet, it still wasn't near as good as what Sapkowski has produced.

The problem with adapting Tolkien is that it needs to be changed to appeal to a wide range of people, or what studio executives now call a modern audience. Deep changes need to be made to make it appealing, diverse and inclusive. This is not a complaint as such, but more of a reflection of the world we now live in.

This means new characters and plots have to be created and/or original ideas need to be altered to fit this modern criteria. This dilutes the authors original vision and makes the adaption come across as offensive fan fiction.

George Martin recently did a post discussing this. Worth a read.

Musashipan

PJ definitely took liberties as well, though he reigned in the most egregious ones (pushing Arwen all over the place). He did nail a visual aesthetic and captured a lot of the emotional themes of the books. But by no means are the LOTR films word accurate to the books, nor do I want them to be as the different mediums do require slightly different approaches.

But RoP is sooooooooo far off reservation, plus S1 was just BAD, not just a bad Tolkien adaptation, but a dull, insipid, sloppy mess period. The Harfoots were completely useless, all the crap with the Numenoreans was a pale shadow of that they should have been, and the less Galadrial the better.
Yes, he did, that's why the call an adaptation or "based on" . I wish they did line by line!

Melon Husk

LOTR trilogy movie adaptation was written by two women and one man. Let's not give Jackson all the credit.

Episode 5 contained two very badly written references scenes to PJ's trilogy. Not a lot of logic behind them, but they had to be shoehorned in. The Numenorrr forced GoT copycat drama remains bad.

I've honestly lost count how many "simultaneous" B-plots we have running. I want to say more than 6?
ranked from best to worst
Gand-Alf and his hobbit sidekicks
Galadriel
Elrond
Adar in Mordor
Gilgalad and his elves
The solo ranger elf helping the village of men
Annatar and the ring-forge
Dwarves
Numenor
The wicked wizard of the east (technically its own storyline now from his perspective)
It's mad.

Last edited:
Holy fuck what a bad a boring episode. Did that fucker really run back to his elven king instead of going to fight Sauron.

And did that ball of the black dwarf woman really roll all the way down that cave even trough a fucking T junction??

fuckkkking hell.

Alex11

"The perfection of the Three", "Thrice perfected". Exact lines from the show, the reasoning of why 9 rings for men, then 7 rings for dwarves were what?

Jesus Christ, the reasons and writing for the forging of the rings is laughable, also Adar wants to attack Eregion with 50 orcs? Holy shit.

LordPezix

Watched Ep4 and 5 tonight. Solid episodes. I feel though as they are rushing the GoT shit in Numenor. I really enjoyed the brief landscape panoramas we got, they need more eye candy like that.

Fbh

Gold Member
Some friends are into it and are inviting me and some other people over to watch this every week. I mostly go for the food and beers though I must admit hate watching this is sort of fun.

That said the first 3 episodes were pretty watchable if you just take this on its own and ignore it's supposed to be based on LOTR and the hilariously forced diversity, but these last 2 ones have been boring as fuck. The show would massively benefit from focusing on 2 or at most 3 interesting storylines instead of 87 mediocre ones

Best thing I can say about this season is that Isildur's pseudo girlfriend was sort of cute.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I will say the more focus on either the Dwarves or the not-Hobbits especially makes me like any given episode less.

Show in general just doesn’t have good women characters. Luckily Galadreal or whatever is taking a back seat this season good lord she is boring.

But show is still bangin this season lol

Last edited:

peish

I will say the more focus on either the Dwarves or the not-Hobbits especially makes me like any given episode less.

Show in general just doesn’t have good women characters. Luckily Galadreal or whatever is taking a back seat this season good lord she is boring.

But show is still bangin this season lol

I find numenor GOT-lite the worst. you have the token slimey weasal white soy boy, his ambitious bad dad. one stupid eagle trolling the whole kingdom. isildur is such a boring useless simp. his sister an evil-not-really-evil character.

in fact all the female characters have been cardboard decent to good politically correct, the only woke parts i can criticise ROP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
Top Bottom