• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rings of Power Season 2 Trailer Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
Jesus Christ, they made this to cure people's insomnia, didn't think it was possible to make Lord of The Rings boring. I almost never sleep watching TV and this did it for me.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Good article from Polygon:

Spoilers from the first three episodes. I cannot believe what I am reading:

The Elves knew that Sauron made or helped in making the Three, and still put them on?

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

Angry Man GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

That is so incredibly stupid and insulting to Tolkien. I am not watching this shit, get fucked Amazon, all you had to do was to make great vistas and ambiance, instead you had to fuck it up with shit plot.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the movies when they first came out, and it’s still tough to reconcile the differences and questionable creative choices Peter Jackson and his team made compared to Tolkien’s original work. I’m particularly furious about the ghost army nonsense in the third movie—seriously, what were they thinking with that so-called ‘creative’ decision?
The ghost army sweeping the battlefield in an instant like a nuke going off is probably my biggest complaint about the PJ trilogy. Many characters lack their nuance from the book, too, but they get the general point across. A few too many death fakeouts, too.

Obviously the movies are not a substitute for Tolkien, just a very good companion to LotR that manages to capture its spirit in a way that seems like an impossible task for today’s world.

Tams

So, I went back on my word a bit. I watched the first two episodes via... means that won't give Amazon statistics. If I'm going to shit on this, I should at least try watching some.

Yeah, nah. Season 2 is not only unsurprisingly more of the same, but worse and doubles down in shittiness.

If you like this... well that's subjective and good for you. But if you think that a single thing about RoP is good in anyway; then you're an idiot.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

So, I went back on my word a bit. I watched the first two episodes via... means that won't give Amazon statistics. If I'm going to shit in this, I should at least try watching some.

Yeah, nah. Season 2 is not only unsurprisingly more of the same, but worse and doubles down shittiness.

If you like this... well that's subjective and good for you. But if you think that a single thing about RoP is good in anyway, then you're an idiot.
What I want to know is: Galadriel and Sauron hate fuck when? You know it’s coming.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The rings in this show look like ring pops. They are supposed to be subtle and they are gaudy.

ManaByte

The Elves knew that Sauron made or helped in making the Three, and still put them on?

Tolkien's own words from Letter 154:

“Some reviewers have called the whole thing simple-minded, just a plain fight between Good and Evil, with all the good just good, and the bad just bad. Pardonable, perhaps (though at least Boromir has been overlooked) in people in a hurry, and with only a fragment to read, and, of course, without the earlier written but unpublished Elvish histories. But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right. Not so much because they had flirted with Sauron; as because with or without his assistance they were 'embalmers’.

They wanted to have their cake and eat it: to live in the mortal historical Middle-earth because they had become fond of it (and perhaps because they there had the advantages of a superior caste), and so tried to stop its change and history, stop its growth, keep it as a pleasaunce, even largely a desert, where they could be 'artists' - and they were overburdened with sadness and nostalgic regret.

In their way the Men of Gondor were similar: a withering people whose only 'hallows' were their tombs. But in any case this is a tale about a war, and if war is allowed (at least as a topic and a setting) it is not much good complaining that all the people on one side are against those on the other. Not that I have made even this issue quite so simple: there are Saruman, and Denethor, and Boromir; and there are treacheries and strife even among the Orcs.” -J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 154

Cyberpunkd

“Some reviewers have called the whole thing simple-minded, just a plain fight between Good and Evil, with all the good just good, and the bad just bad. Pardonable, perhaps (though at least Boromir has been overlooked) in people in a hurry, and with only a fragment to read, and, of course, without the earlier written but unpublished Elvish histories. But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right. Not so much because they had flirted with Sauron; as because with or without his assistance they were 'embalmers’.

They wanted to have their cake and eat it: to live in the mortal historical Middle-earth because they had become fond of it (and perhaps because they there had the advantages of a superior caste), and so tried to stop its change and history, stop its growth, keep it as a pleasaunce, even largely a desert, where they could be 'artists' - and they were overburdened with sadness and nostalgic regret.

In their way the Men of Gondor were similar: a withering people whose only 'hallows' were their tombs. But in any case this is a tale about a war, and if war is allowed (at least as a topic and a setting) it is not much good complaining that all the people on one side are against those on the other. Not that I have made even this issue quite so simple: there are Saruman, and Denethor, and Boromir; and there are treacheries and strife even among the Orcs.” -J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 154
Interesting take, I could imagine Tolkien's Christianity might have also played a role as well: Elves are not mortal, thus they are not pressed to live their lives to the fullest as Men are.

Buying his letters right now, thanks.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Interesting take, I could imagine Tolkien's Christianity might have also played a role as well: Elves are not mortal, thus they are not pressed to live their lives to the fullest as Men are.

Buying his letters right now, thanks.
Letters is great but kinda sad. You see a man who has a lot of hopes, a lot of disappointments. There is a growing realization he is never going to finish hos work

jason10mm

Gold Member
Kinda funny how people can randomly assault royalty in Arda. You have two instances of sovereigns getting openly punked on but their subjects, and in both cases there were no reprecussions.
That's because the show writers expect them to behave more like elected politicians than a sovereign class. Hollywood only really knows 2 types of royalty. The horrendous oppressor/abuser tyrant or the noble totally self sacrificing type. Rarely anything inbetween.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think you can see the money in the sets and effects. Costumes look weak at times. Especially armor.
There is a bot of art to making fantasy stuff look good on screen but there is no excuse for this show, they could have made all the sets and outfits FOR REAL with their budget and years of production time.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
There is a bot of art to making fantasy stuff look good on screen but there is no excuse for this show, they could have made all the sets and outfits FOR REAL with their budget and years of production time.
When you watch the LOTR behind the scenes and see that WETA made real chain mail and real swords. And you can see the armor shirts in this.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I finished episode 2.

I think they miss things or they are not in my head the way the show does them. I always thought Sauron learned from Celebrimbor, and then went and smithed the rings on his own. He didn't work with him to make all the rings. And in my head the elves did not make their rings until after the rings for men and dwarves were made.

Melon Husk

Mind blown. So there's nuance in the good vs. evil we didn't get to see in LOTR.
There should be a TV series expanding on this subject. I want to see that show!

Jokes aside, the first half of episode 1 was kinda good. After 30 minutes I lost interest. Pacing is a big problem, I think 30 minute episodes could counterbalance the slowness. 7/10 because the good bits were flashbacks that should have been part of season 1. Ensemble cast, multiple subplots AND non-linear storytelling? LOST made it all work but in RoP it leaves me annoyed and confused.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Amazon finally stopped suggesting it to me.

I may eventually watch season 2 just out of curiosity. But it's gonna be a while if that ever happens.

Kacho

Gold Member

jason10mm

Gold Member
And they're committed to THREE MORE YEARS! Wonder if we will see a showrunner shake up, faith in their course and carry on, or some more quiet retooling, lots of PR spin, and fingers crossed for season 3.

You can find lots of issues with the show, but I can point to some VERY obvious signs that "this ain't the LOTR you wanted" they could have EASILY side-stepped. Just a colossal misunderstanding of the IP, the audience, and woefully inexperienced team.

Kacho

Gold Member
And they're committed to THREE MORE YEARS! Wonder if we will see a showrunner shake up, faith in their course and carry on, or some more quiet retooling, lots of PR spin, and fingers crossed for season 3.

You can find lots of issues with the show, but I can point to some VERY obvious signs that "this ain't the LOTR you wanted" they could have EASILY side-stepped. Just a colossal misunderstanding of the IP, the audience, and woefully inexperienced team.
That’s what I don’t get. How do they not have someone there to nitpick the script? Anyone with a basic understanding of Tolkien would be able to point out the very obvious issues.

A DJ on our local rock station was talking about Rings of Power the other morning. Said they fell asleep watching the new season. Great word of mouth.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the movies when they first came out, and it’s still tough to reconcile the differences and questionable creative choices Peter Jackson and his team made compared to Tolkien’s original work. I’m particularly furious about the ghost army nonsense in the third movie—seriously, what were they thinking with that so-called ‘creative’ decision?
I always thought that after Helm's Deep Jackson just treated battle scenes like a table-top recreation that exists in a separate reality from the rest of the movies.
In the Hobbit EEs battle becomes literal Warhammer too (but in the worst way possible).
But yea most of the battle of Pelennor Fields was a big middle finger to fans of source material. It had none of the tension, the CG was mostly awful, the super Legolas stunts and then it culminated in the ghost thing. The only reason it's not remembered as awfully as The Battle of Five armies is that we get character moments that actually do pay proper homage to the books (or even the original scenes that - somehow isn't Jackson flipping off the script in literal scenes and manages to work well in context).

But well - ROP combat shown so far is skirmishes of 20 people on each side, they don't have any actual battles, so it's hard to compare. Although we do get super-elf stuff so Jackson cemented that well and good into zeitgeist.

Has this been confirmed, because that's some wild lore bending.
It's not wild when you consider they made Isildur an adult around 2-3 thousand years before he was supposed to be born.
Taken at face value - the show has enough time-dilation that by the time the Battle of Last Alliance happens - Aragorn should be at least a teenager already (And Bilbo would be getting the visit from Gandalf about a year later).

Last edited:

Trelane

You know, most of the controversy could have been avoided had they just made their own story with their own characters and left the established characters and lore alone. I mean, they're going to make up their own stories anyways, and that would give them so much more creative freedom to do whatever they wanted. I mean, they're going to do whatever they want anyways, but it would be nice if they didn't defecate all over someone else's hard work to do it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
You know, most of the controversy could have been avoided had they just made their own story with their own characters and left the established characters and lore alone. I mean, they're going to make up their own stories anyways, and that would give them so much more creative freedom to do whatever they wanted. I mean, they're going to do whatever they want anyways, but it would be nice if they didn't defecate all over someone else's hard work to do it.
Trouble is you can't market original characters like you can the ones everyone knows from LOTR.

That's why we get cheap shots like Handsome Sauron, Joan of Galadriel and Sexy Shelob.
And yes I fully believe these are now officially part of the same canon universe - and we WILL get to see that triangle.
Patrick... JD - I'm only watching your abomination of a show to see this happen live-action on screen - so you BETTER not let me down.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Trouble is you can't market original characters like you can the ones everyone knows from LOTR.

That's why we get cheap shots like Handsome Sauron, Joan of Galadriel and Sexy Shelob.
And yes I fully believe these are now officially part of the same canon universe - and we WILL get to see that triangle.
Patrick... JD - I'm only watching your abomination of a show to see this happen live-action on screen - so you BETTER not let me down.
Animated GIF

Turned off s2e1 halfwayish thru.

Started to second screen and then just decided itd be better to go to sleep than faux listen to this crud

jason10mm

Gold Member
There are DOZENS of fairly well known and respected fantasy IPs they could have used, and the ENTIRE thing, several seasons of show included, wouldn't have cost just what the RIGHTS to the appendices cost Amazon.

Oberstein

Ep.4 Goodness...
They almost managed to make a Karen Ent.
"Get me Sauron's manager!!!"

Well, this episode isn't great at all. There are a few interesting elements in the batch, but overall almost everything is filler. The Rhûn arc is really bad, especially by adding Harfoots and other cousin that are irrelevant in this great story of Sauron which is the intended main plot. We don't need
the origin of the Shire in this season.

The Filler (Estrid, the Harfoots, etc.) is a constant departure from interesting storylines. Even the appearance of
Tom Bombadil
can't hide the factual errors of Tolkien's lore. I've tried to defend the show so far, but this episode doesn't help. I still love the aesthetics, but they need to fire the writers and dialogue artists. It's just not possible anymore.

Too many storylines, too many underdeveloped characters, irritating fan service and elves that don't look like elves. AND it pains me to say it, especially after seeing Ben Daniels' very good performance as Cirdan. Here, the elves look like human clods with pointy ears. Is this their elite elf?!

I'm going to wait for the climax, which will be episode 6
with the attack on Eregion
, but my interest has already faded.

Last edited:

thefool

They should do a disney wars vs amazon rings multiverse and people just fighting, like dragon ball super tournament of power. Surely would be more entertaining for both fandoms.

Ammogeddon

The nonexistent "modern audience" keeps not showing up huh

I wonder if it's because the "modern audience" actually doesn't exist?
But you can guarantee the blue hair brigade and media would be up in arms if it was cancelled. I’m sure they’d put a petition together.

ZehDon

And they're committed to THREE MORE YEARS! Wonder if we will see a showrunner shake up, faith in their course and carry on, or some more quiet retooling, lots of PR spin, and fingers crossed for season 3...
Worth remembering how they got to this point. Season 1 was literally the most expensive show ever made, based off of one of the greatest artistic works in human history, so it pulled in a lot of people. Less than a third bothered to finish it. However, Season 2 was into production before Season 1 had finished airing, so this is basically Season 1 Part 2. They never had a chance to course correct.

Seeing as the show is being slammed from basically everyone, and the viewers just aren't bothering, end of Season viewership numbers are going to be abysmal. Given the money Amazon is burning, we're going to see some major departures before Season 3. The actors will be locked in with iron clad contracts given the commitment Amazon had to make to get the rights, so I doubt they'll be running away. But the show runners, writers, and creatives? And the show's budget? I'd expect a bloodbath before Season 3 gets underway. You don't burn billions of dollars of Bezos' money, embarrass him personally, and walk away.

Last edited:
Man, I feel dirty for watching episode 4. Why the forced diversity in everything amazon. I was fully expecting one Elf to roll in, in a wheelchair.
They said something along the lines that it made sense to them that the world they are making should reflect the modern world. So that's what you get no matter how retarded it is. Everywhere is like a multicultural city. They could've easily had diverse casting by making the halfoots brown skinned and the stoors and other desert people black but no fuck logic everywhere has to be multicultural.

The only way that even starts to make any kind of sense over any sort of time period is if all of these people are so racist that there is never any interracial relationships as they all hate each other so much. I somehow doubt that is the message they are going for though.

All of that is the least of the show's problems though.

Kacho

Gold Member
Worth remembering how they got to this point. Season 1 was literally the most expensive show ever made, based off of one of the greatest artistic works in human history, so it pulled in a lot of people. Less than a third bothered to finish it. However, Season 2 was into production before Season 1 had finished airing, so this is basically Season 1 Part 2. They never had a chance to course correct.

Seeing as the show is being slammed from basically everyone, and the viewers just aren't bothering, end of Season viewership numbers are going to be abysmal. Given the money Amazon is burning, we're going to see some major departures before Season 3. The actors will be locked in with iron clad contracts given the commitment Amazon had to make to get the rights, so I doubt they'll be running away. But the show runners, writers, and creatives? And the show's budget? I'd expect a bloodbath before Season 3 gets underway. You don't burn billions of dollars of Bezos' money, embarrass him personally, and walk away.
Even if they hypothetically fixed all of the show’s issues people aren’t coming back. You get one chance to capture an audience and when you miss there’s really no way to undo that. Rings of Power is tainted beyond repair.

Top Bottom