• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

I love that Lara's confidence is slowly coming back! There's a noticeable change between 2013 and this, she quips back and forth with NPCs a lot more and you can really see her evolution. Loving it tbh

General consensus? How's it going for the few that have it and are talking about it?

Also, what are the locations of the game? Is it just Syria and Siberia? Also, is Siberia actually interesting to traverse in? I feel like we've seen snowy locales in so much and I'm hoping there's some depth to it.

def sim

I've decided to skip out on Fallout and finally start up TR2013 and then Rise afterwards instead. I hope these games are fun!

General consensus? How's it going for the few that have it and are talking about it?

Also, what are the locations of the game? Is it just Syria and Siberia? Also, is Siberia actually interesting to traverse in? I feel like we've seen snowy locales in so much and I'm hoping there's some depth to it.
I'm enjoying it so far! If you liked TR2013, you'll like this. It plays almost identically but with more depth due to crafting, new stealth mechanics, weapon modifications etc. Also the hubs are a lot bigger. :)

So far Syria has only been a small part of the game. I think the majority takes place in Siberia although I'm not super far in yet. Traversal in Siberia is fun, there are quite a few different paths in each area and a lot to collect, all of which funnels in to making Lara better.

Zeta Oni

General consensus seems to be if you liked TR2013, you'll love Rise. If you didn't like TR2013, Rise improves on some aspects but overall it's probably not for you.

I'll be able to give better impressions later today, but for now all I can say is that the graphics are beautiful and the controls are just as solid as the original, if not better.

Poona

I don't think she's really modelled after anyone anymore.

I hope that is true. I have a hard enough time with her voice acting. I really don't want to be told I am playing Camilla Luddington.

The previous games I never thought I was playing Keeley Hawes, I thought I was playing Lara.

V3rt1go

Just me or Konstantin looks like someone we know?

latest

lazarevic.jpg

Montresor

Well, my copy of the game shipped. It should arrive today (hopefully). In celebration, below are three clips that I saved back when I first played Tomb Raider DE back in January 2014 (time-stamps are a bit off, but only because I re-uploaded). They're three of my favourite scenes from the game.

http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/c11aa604-67b5-4432-aa3a-2f64910a84db

http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/2a989458-7757-4ac5-9073-3e1dd219de30

http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/70086a58-46e6-4095-bfc8-f56d05bca0da

I'm enjoying it so far! If you liked TR2013, you'll like this. It plays almost identically but with more depth due to crafting, new stealth mechanics, weapon modifications etc. Also the hubs are a lot bigger. :)

So far Syria has only been a small part of the game. I think the majority takes place in Siberia although I'm not super far in yet. Traversal in Siberia is fun, there are quite a few different paths in each area and a lot to collect, all of which funnels in to making Lara better.

Oooooh! The hubs are bigger. That's nice.

General consensus seems to be if you liked TR2013, you'll love Rise. If you didn't like TR2013, Rise improves on some aspects but overall it's probably not for you.

I'll be able to give better impressions later today, but for now all I can say is that the graphics are beautiful and the controls are just as solid as the original, if not better.

I liked TR2013 but never finished it because it was on 360 and I had minimal access to it. It was good though! Maybe a bit too much shooting and gunplay but all in all good stuff. Super excited about this one though.

Colbert

Banned
Played 1 hour of it and wow this game looks pretty. Especially in the office scenes when you look into Lara's eyes, the reflection makes them looking almost real. Gameplay mechanics are also top notch so far and I like the leaderboards for each level. So glad they completely focussed on single player.

MaulerX

I was trying to be funny (and I have a rather cynical band of humour) and when I previously asked for help with the title in another thread, nobody replied. In retrospect I should've anticipated that some people on here aren't mature enough to just have a laugh about it and move on and I am sorry for that error in judgement, but really, this is just as much the fault of the people who made stupid comments about the original title as it is mine.

Wow dude you just keep digging the grave deeper for yourself. Now you're calling people in here immature? That was just a horrible OT tittle. It set a bad precedent if they let it fly. I mean, imagine all future OT's had a reference to exclusive deals etc... It's distracting and I'm sure there's plenty other threads to discuss that other stuff.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
The game is spectacular on all fronts. The visuals, sounds, tomb raiding, and leveling system just feel so good.

This is coming from an old school Tomb Raider PC guy who has bought and played every single one released.

Harlequin

any dress costumes in this ?

If by "dress costumes" you mean actual dresses, then no. But there are lots of different outfits you can unlock.

Why are you defending your OT title exactly? The entire first few pages are unsalvageable because of the original title. Heck the new title will probably get people asking "what was the original title" for a few more days.

You fucked up, plain and simple. Please don't misunderstand me as I strongly believe any kind of discussion should be permissible in the OT: negative comments, positive comments, etc... But instead of people talking about the game, people are commenting on the title, on the yearlong delay, etc... almost exclusively.

You invited shitpost after shitpost (and even I shitposted too) - whether the audience is mature enough to handle it or not does not absolve you of the dumb decision.

I never said it did. I didn't say that it wasn't my fault, merely that it wasn't exclusively my fault. It takes two to tango and everyone here should be old enough to know not to "shitpost", so it shouldn't be like I left an open candy jar unattended in a room full of children. It's not like I said, "hey, let's all shit on this stupid game!". I created a proper OT for it and then thought it'd be okay to poke a little fun at the game in the title because it's what I've seen other people do with their OTs (just look at the AC: Syndicate OT). I mean, I actually put a good amount of effort into the first post. You can believe me when I say I didn't plan for the thread to get derailed the way it did. Was it a little dumb? Sure. Could I have known better? Possibly. But that's always easy to say later on. EDIT: Also, just for the record, I'm not saying that the title should not have been changed. After what happened? Yeah, of course, it should have.

Same here .

Do you guys remember the first teaser for this game. It was so epic like :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyhQUm42Vk

I really wish that the game will focus on her psychological struggle from the previous experience in Yamatai.

You're gonna be disappointed (Feminist Frequency review). Teaser trailer of this game hinted at that, with nothing to come of it. What a shame. This ain't no Silent Hill Shattered Memories or Spec Ops The Line or Alice Madness Returns.

Buzzati

Banned
This game is one long interactive movie. Cutscenes on rails the entire way. Don't buy this if you want to play a videogame. Do buy it if you want to see a decent Tomb Raider CG movie. This is a huge regression from the old Tomb Raider games. I'm so disappointed that so many games have come to this. Fucking awful.

This game is one long interactive movie. Cutscenes on rails the entire way. Don't buy this if you want to play a videogame. Do buy it if you want to see a decent Tomb Raider CG movie. This is a huge regression from the old Tomb Raider games. I'm so disappointed that so many games have come to this. Fucking awful.

Did you play past the first 20 minutes? Because within the first two hours you've already raided a tomb and been introduced to a relatively open area where you're free to collect resources, craft, hunt, and work on stealth kills.

The game is basically Uncharted with less humor and better mechanics.

Torment

Banned

I don't even....

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Are you for real... there are a hell of a lot less interactive cutscenes than there were in TR2013. The hubs are pretty much entirely gameplay and you can go a good while without having an interactive cutscene.

Buzzati

Banned
Did you play past the first 20 minutes? Because within the first two hours you've already raided a tomb and been introduced to a relatively open area where you're free to collect resources, craft, hunt, and work on stealth kills.

The game is basically Uncharted with less humor and better mechanics.

Yes - In-roads leading to boxed areas where you are cued for commands doesn't seem very open to me.

Yes - In-roads leading to boxed areas where you are cued for commands doesn't seem very open to me.
Again, that doesn't sound like you've played shit. Once you get to the Soviet Installation it's pretty much completely open with multiple paths you can take to get to where you need to go, none of which is prompted. You can explore, talk to NPCs, pick up missions, go do them... No idea what you're on about.

Buzzati

Banned
Are you for real... there are a hell of a lot less interactive cutscenes than there were in TR2013. The hubs are pretty much entirely gameplay and you can go a good while without having an interactive cutscene.

I didn't play TR2013 - it's worse than this? Did you play the old Tomb Raider games on PSone? I can't imagine how anyone that was a fan of those games can be content with this hand-holding game.

Buzzati

Banned
Again, that doesn't sound like you've played shit. Once you get to the Soviet Installation it's pretty much completely open with multiple paths you can take to get to where you need to go, none of which is prompted. You can explore, talk to NPCs, pick up missions, go do them... No idea what you're on about.

The Soviet Installation Hub is just a sidewalk leading to bigger sidewalks. Are we talking about the same game?

ced

This guy hasn't played the game.

I didn't play TR2013 - it's worse than this? Did you play the old Tomb Raider games on PSone? I can't imagine how anyone that was a fan of those games can be content with this hand-holding game.
What? The PS One games literally had ONE path for you to take. Are you on something? They were (well designed) puzzle platformers but they were incredibly closed and linear.
The Soviet Installation Hub is just a sidewalk leading to bigger sidewalks. Are we talking about the same game?
It seems pointless talking to you about this if you honestly think the Soviet Installation is just a corridor.

Do not confuse "linear" and "scripted" with "cinematic". Lara has a lot of animations that make it look like control is being taken away from you, but it isn't. Moving the camera so as to better frame the action is not taking away player control.

Buzzati

Banned
What? The PS One games literally had ONE path for you to take. Are you on something? They were (well designed) puzzle platformers but they were incredibly open.

It seems pointless talking to you about this if you honestly think the Soviet Installation is just a corridor.

The PS One games had you canvas areas to find routes, second-guessing yourself, backtracking, puzzles, difficult platforming, etc. This shit is just straight forward corridor-scaling with obvious progression cues for people who have never touched a video game before. This game sucks.

Played an hour before work this morning and loved it just as much as 2013. It just feels good to play. Rise and Halo 5 are the best playing games of their respective series.

VinFTW

The PS One games had you canvas areas to find routes, second-guessing yourself, backtracking, puzzles, difficult platforming, etc. This shit is just straight forward corridor-scaling with obvious progression cues for people who have never touched a video game before. This game sucks.
Nah, I think it's just you.

No it's not. You either haven't played it or you have but turned off your brain. I'm sure anyone else who has played this in this thread will come in and disagree with what you're saying because it's objectively not true.

Iced Arcade

Yeah you didn't play the series since the reboot

mocoworm

Is this kind of trolling allowed on GAF?

Anyway, just got this cool outfit! :D I love that you can unlock outfits by playing rather than just DLC. Seems like there's a lot of them as well, and some of them have unique abilities/perks.
They've really ramped up the RPG-lite stuff this time around.
Game sounds great. Loved the reboot. Question-

When does it drop for ps4?
"Fall 2016"

and "Spring 2016" for PC. :)

Toa TAK

Banned
Anyway, just got this cool outfit! :D I love that you can unlock outfits by playing rather than just DLC. Seems like there's a lot of them as well, and some of them have unique abilities/perks.

They've really ramped up the RPG-lite stuff this time around.
Sweet. Looking forward to what's essentially playing virtual dress-up. Different costumes/outfits are always fun for me in games. I played the last game in Aviatrix from the get-go when it came out.

this is objectively wrong

Buzzati

Banned
Yeah you didn't play the series since the reboot

Is this kind of trolling allowed on GAF?

Duly noted. If I need to trick contemporary Tomb Raider fans into thinking they're playing an open game, I'll just make the corridors slightly bigger in between the boxed areas. This game leaves nothing to the imagination - it retains none of the difficulty of the past games and the exploration is practically done for you. I guess I'm in the minority thinking this is totally disappointing, so I'm outtie. I'm probably too old and out of touch with modern game design, but this just isn't fun for me. Admittedly the last TR game I played was probably a decade ago, so I wasn't prepared for this switch to action from exploration.

Sweet. Looking forward to what's essentially playing virtual dress-up. Different costumes/outfits are always fun for me in games. I played the last game in Aviatrix from the get-go when it came out.
Good news for you then! :D They've integrated different outfits properly this time, meaning that they all accrue snow and dirt (maybe blood) and they can all get wet, unlike in TR2013 where they would look the same throughout the entire game. It's really cool, and you don't feel like you're missing out on something by not playing in the outfit it puts you in.

That said, I've been playing using the default outfits mostly and I've already been through 3 or 4 (22% of the way in). Even if you are wearing a non-default outfit and the game requires you to be in one, it switches you (so for example if Lara went to a hot climate it wouldn't just keep you in the red parka you chose, it would switch to a more appropriate outfit and if you wanted to change it back you could do so at a camp).

mocoworm

Good news for you then! :D They've integrated different outfits properly this time, meaning that they all accrue snow and dirt (maybe blood) and they can all get wet, unlike in TR2013 where they would look the same throughout the entire game. It's really cool, and you don't feel like you're missing out on something by not playing in the outfit it puts you in.

That said, I've been playing using the default outfits mostly and I've already been through 3 or 4 (22% of the way in). Even if you are wearing a non-default outfit and the game requires you to be in one, it switches you (so for example if Lara went to a hot climate it wouldn't just keep you in the red parka you chose, it would switch to a more appropriate outfit and if you wanted to change it back you could do so at a camp).

Did you do the puzzle thing on the website and get a code for the free outfit and card pack?

Toa TAK

Banned

That's pretty neat, and I can see why they did that. At least I'll be getting a look at them before I change them should I want to. Again, playing dress up with a virtual doll. lol

mocoworm

I think so, but I am not sure of the link. I redeemed my code this morning but I don't have the game yet. It is only released in the UK on Friday.

mocoworm

No... I didn't know this was a thing :/ is it still available?

I found it !

I thought it was clothes, but it says it is just an explorer pack.

http://discover-the-legend.xbox.com/fire.html

A new promotion on Xbox.com is offering gamers the chance to grab some free Rise of the Tomb Raider DLC.

To get the free content, head here and click into Lara’s Research Wall. Then, inspect each item on the wall to get a redeemable code for an Explorer Card pack.

The pack itself offers up a “tool belt with Level 2 crafting tools and resource pack, deep pockets for extra inventory, upgraded break-action shotgun, and extra magazines.”

The only downside is that you’ll need to hang onto the code until 10 November. Then, you can redeem it here.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is available on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One from 10 November.

So bought the 360 version after all, just couldn't wait the PS4 version. Well I lasted a full day at least. I'm surprised actually, though I'd never buy another 360 game. Well I'm sure it's fully playable. It's only bit over two years ago that I played the reboot through twice on 360 and loved it.

Top Bottom