• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Played it for about four hours. It's absolutely stunning, platforming is great, the environments are gorgeous, and it's generally fun. However, I'm not a fan of the side content. The side missions are kinda bad, and hurt the pacing of the game, so I'll save those and optional tombs till after I finish the main story. Also, there's no aim assist on normal difficulty, which makes the gunplay a chore at times. Such a shame.

Oh, and, terrible OT title.

JayB1920

Played it for about four hours. It's absolutely stunning, platforming is great, the environments are gorgeous, and it's generally fun. However, I'm not a fan of the side content. The side missions are kinda bad, and hurt the pacing of the game, so I'll save those and optional tombs till after I finish the main story. Also, there's no aim assist on normal difficulty, which makes the gunplay a chore at times. Such a shame.

Oh, and, terrible OT title.

I never liked aim assist. It always throws me off lol. Play on easy if you don't want to worry about combat too much. I think you can switch anytime.

hawk2025

30 seconds in, lol

lFMgMYW.jpg

This is happening every time I try to start the game. For fuck's sake.

hawk2025

I had that too, but I was attempting to start the game before it was 100% installed. Once it was completely installed it started fine.

Aahh, that must be why.

It's still installing. I was surprised I was ready to go in 10 minutes instead of the typical hour+, but I guess that didnt work out so well.

I'm going to reminisce over my PS3 days and make myself a sandwich :p . I reaaaally hope installation times are sorted out with NXE.

Cheddahz

Banned
Picked up my copy of it this morning on the way to my second class and I'm hoping that I'm not too beat when I get home, cause I would like to get some time in tonight (and I got the pop up art box sleeve with my copy and I'm still wondering who thought this was a great idea)

I've played a few hours of it now, really liking it. My OCD keeps me from moving on from an area until I've turned every stone, but I'm having good fun.

The snow and ice look fantastic, as do the clothes. Great use of PBR.

The film-grain isn't entirely convincing, but it works.

Ricker

Played close to 2 hours...man this game is going to be awesome...playing on the 360,I got a 300 MB patch...I installed the game and man,for a 360 game it looks awesome...game is so great so far that sometimes I feel like stopping playing and buying a XBox One to play it lol...

Those on the fence about the 360,go ahead,it looks great for a 10 year old console,and framerate has been pretty stable so far.

TripOpt55

Played up to the Soviet Installation, but stopped before exploring it. Pretty cool so far. I really liked the tomb in Syria and that area looked really excellent. Wish it would have lasted longer. Ship was cool, but I hope the other challenge tombs are much bigger. From the impressions, it sounds like they are. Otherwise just getting to grips with the rest of it. I suck at aiming and I'm not sure why. Maybe I just need some bow upgrades. Also Lara looks good in that hoodie/leather jacket combo.

Montresor

About to start the game. Anything I should worry about achievement-wise?

Any missables or difficulty-related stuff? I'd have no problem playing on adventurer lol, but ill play survivor if there's an achievement.

Can't believe Aaron Greenberg is pushing the buy both thing. Not everyone can do that. I like the guy but he frustrates me sometimes, for me the game deserves better than being released the same day as a highly anticipated multiplat in a already very busy season.

If the game bombs they are gonna get even more stick. I supported it as a fan but given the busy release schedule not everyone can possibly do that.

Montresor

Wow, I just literally started up Survivor and during the opening cutscene this error message comes up:

"Tiger read request doesn't belong to this archive (was 2, expected 11):>rq:?"

And the game crashed.

Edit: Relaunching fixed it. Gah the game looks so fucking good! Dat snow!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game is one long interactive movie. Cutscenes on rails the entire way. Don't buy this if you want to play a videogame. Do buy it if you want to see a decent Tomb Raider CG movie. This is a huge regression from the old Tomb Raider games. I'm so disappointed that so many games have come to this. Fucking awful.

You got something against movies?

Loxley

Downloading the 360 version right now, excited to start playing. I won't be picking up an Xbox One until MS releases a slimmer redesign and I don't feel like waiting for the PC or PS4 release.

Glad to see the port job was well-done.

hawk2025

Goddamnit, the input lag is real. The movement, and especially camera and aiming movement is a marked downgrade from the super tight gameplay of TR2013...

Everything else -- DAMN, this is impressive so far. CD nailed the cinematic intro.

Squire

Banned
Should I take my XBO offline when I install this? Halo 5 took forever and apparently that's because the system downloads the day one patch and installs the base game at the same time. Are the speeds for ROTR bad too?

Ferny

Should I take my XBO offline when I install this? Halo 5 took forever and apparently that's because the system downloads the day one patch and installs the base game at the same time. Are the speeds for ROTR bad too?

It should ask you. It always does for me. You can hit no and then it'll install the game first and then download/install the update the first time you start the game.

SomTervo

The PS One games had you canvas areas to find routes, second-guessing yourself, backtracking, puzzles, difficult platforming, etc. This shit is just straight forward corridor-scaling with obvious progression cues for people who have never touched a video game before. This game sucks.

To me it sounds a lot like you're misremembering the old games.

I am not a big fan of the 2013 game (though I enjoyed some aspects of it a lot) and I'm very sceptical about this game - but these are definitely not as linear as you're making out, and are substantially less linear than the early games (eg 1-3 - which I loved).

However, as far as I've experienced, all of the new games' cutscenes and cinematic set pieces go on for far too long and are all awfully written and awfully paced. Definitely a problem the earlier games didn't have.

jond76

Banned
Did most of the Soviet station. They REALLY kicked exploration up a notch (or 10). Lots of stuff to do. Out of the way niches and caves to check out. Caves and tombs have multiple layers.

Really good fun. Solid gameplay. Visually beautiful.

Now I'm stuck at work...

Also, awesome delivery by Lara that got a great reaction from me
Bad guy: "I take it that's a 'no'?" Lara: "It's a 'no FUCKING WAY'!"

Lara is definitely in "I'll do it my damn self" mode. Lol. Lots of growth from the reboot.

Squire

Banned
It should ask you. It always does for me. You can hit no and then it'll install the game first and then download/install the update the first time you start the game.

Oh, it did do that with Halo, now that I think about it. Cool. This is only my second retail game on the system, haha. Thanks!

Game is great. If you liked TR 2013 you'll love this. The prologue alone was far more fun than anything I experienced in Uncharted 1 a few weeks back (I've heard 2 and 3 are better so don't shoot me).

Game is great. If you liked TR 2013 you'll love this. The prologue alone was far more fun than anything I experienced in Uncharted 1 a few weeks back (I've heard 2 and 3 are better so don't shoot me).

2 is like the benchmark for 3rd person action adventure games although, we'll have to see what 4 does.

This game is much better than any uncharted game.

I haven't played more to judge but I definitely am getting that in the sense it gives you alot of options in how you play and raiding tombs is damn fun.

This game is one long interactive movie. Cutscenes on rails the entire way. Don't buy this if you want to play a videogame. Do buy it if you want to see a decent Tomb Raider CG movie. This is a huge regression from the old Tomb Raider games. I'm so disappointed that so many games have come to this. Fucking awful.

I have no issue with linear games but this is kind of disappointing to me. I didn't watch all the coverage but I felt like a lot of the focus prerelease was on exploration and freedom.

I have no issue with linear games but this is kind of disappointing to me. I didn't watch all the coverage but I felt like a lot of the focus prerelease was on exploration and freedom.

The game opens up later into hub worlds that you can fast travel between each hub and it's metroidvania in design so you'll always return to old, familiar places to reach new ones.

RyudBoy

This is the first game I ever bought on disc and it fully installed in 15mins. Was ready to start playing in about 3mins. I didn't have my XB1 offline.

Ah OK, that's actually really great!

Does it give you a compelling reason to return, though?

From what I could tell you cannot reach all tombs or to put it more clearly, you need specific items to open specific things that could lead to new places that have tombs and and a bunch of other stuff to do.

Balb

A couple of hours in so far and really enjoying it (really liked 2013 too). For those saying they like this a lot despite not loving the first one - what's different? They seem pretty similar to me so far except the story structure. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough to see the differences.

Top Bottom