• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

DALBEN

Banned
I played a little today and its a very good game, ill finish this one first and then buy fallout.

Halo
Tomb raider
Fallout

Awesome month to be a gamer ( i just need more free time :( )

speedomodel

This game is one long interactive movie. Cutscenes on rails the entire way. Don't buy this if you want to play a videogame. Do buy it if you want to see a decent Tomb Raider CG movie. This is a huge regression from the old Tomb Raider games. I'm so disappointed that so many games have come to this. Fucking awful.

221189AceVenturaAwesomeBravoCongratsCongratulationsGoodforyouGoodjobGreatJimCareyNiceoneNiceworkPointRightonThankyouThanksThumbsupWaytogoWelldoneYouYouareawesomeOhYouGIF.gif

don't think i have ever used the "Xbox, take a screenshot" function so much in one sitting as i did last night starting this game.

so far packed with beautiful vistas.

Tendo

Are the framerate drops frequent? I'm sensitive to bad framerates and can get headaches but if they are sporadic enough I'm ok.

Hopefully the screen tearing is minimal.

I wanna raid some tombs! What is the skinny for those playing?

Pachimari

I'm gonna replay Tomb Raider (2013) on my PC with the Steam controller in anticipation for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I can't wait to get my hands on it, and just bought a Xbox One last week, so I might pick it up or wait for the PC version.

golem

Holy cow played way more of this than I intended to last night. Lots of fun, I was going to try to sneak my way around everyone but landing arrow headshots on guards is too fun /partoftheproblem

Are the framerate drops frequent? I'm sensitive to bad framerates and can get headaches but if they are sporadic enough I'm ok.

Hopefully the screen tearing is minimal.

I wanna raid some tombs! What is the skinny for those playing?

I played for 2 hours last night and didn't even notice the drops that were shown off in the video.

Don't worry about them.

Angel_DvA

I know I said I would buy it on PC but couldn't resist to the hype and finally bought it when I got home from work, I played for 2 hours now and my early impressions are really mixed, the game isn't really bad but not really good either.

The visuals overall are really good, the cut-scenes are stunning and the facial animation are gorgeous, I really like details like sand coming out the mouth of the skeleton or birds that fly away when you get close or anything like this, the ice texture is one of the best I've seen and some area are just "Magnifique", the first problem is that the game isn't as good looking when you get on more open space, the intro is a very tiny corridor and look awesome but when you get on more open area, it doesn't look as good and you can see some average texture or effect, really surprising, the aliasing really is noticeable and framerate performance are really annoying, especially during fights, there is some tearing here and there but nothing dramatic. the second problem is the animation of Lara In game, they aren't as good as Lara animation in cut-scene and it's distracting because it really looks like move set from the previous one, ugly as a sin.

the gameplay is the real problem for me, it's a really really linear game, it's just a succession of little corridor when you're walking until the next cut-scenes or QTE moment ( the game really is a QTE game for now ) the level design is pretty lazy and the enigmas too simple, you can even get them easier but using the right stick to enlighten the solution, meh. There is something wrong with the controls too, it's like Lara doesn't respond correctly, especially while shooting, the input lag is pretty annoying and feel awkward after TR 2013 that was really fun in this department.

the characters are pretty annoying too, Jonah looks like a terrible character and I already find him annoying, Lara is better than it's 2013 version but still not as good as she could be, the bad dude, well he's "bad" but the plot looks better than TR 2013 even if the bad writing from the previous game is here too, especially on dialogue, they're terrible lol, the voice acting is pretty good though but everything relate to sound on this game is amazing.

after playing a little more than 2 hours my feeling are pretty mixed, it's a good looking game but very linear, the gameplay is a little off and the characters are annoying, the plot looks good and I still want to know what will happen next so it's a good thing, It's not a bad game but I don't think it deserve the score it received for now, I'll try to finish it before the end of this week and release my final impression, a solid 7.5/10 for now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoying it so far, but not very far in (only finished the first main area). Crafting seems similar to the old games (skills tree and inventory crafting using items found in the environment).

Healing seems to use items but you don't seem to craft healing kits first (like you did in TLoU for instance). So does it just draw from your inventory generally? In that case you'd need to make sue to always have some herbs/cloth available which might make crafting tricky as cloth is used for lots of recipes so you could use it all up without realising. I'd prefer a first aid item I could craft separately.

What's going on with all these cards you unlock (and I got some with my preorder)? They look like titanfall burn cards but I can't see any multiplayer? And you can even buy card packs like FIFA with different packs having common/uncommon/rare cards.

Wow dude you just keep digging the grave deeper for yourself. Now you're calling people in here immature? That was just a horrible OT tittle. It set a bad precedent if they let it fly. I mean, imagine all future OT's had a reference to exclusive deals etc... It's distracting and I'm sure there's plenty other threads to discuss that other stuff.

Every OT title is a troll, it just so happens console-related ones draw out true ire for some stupid reason.

JayB1920

I know I said I would buy it on PC but couldn't resist to the hype and finally bought it when I got home from work, I played for 2 hours now and my early impressions are really mixed, the game isn't really bad but not really good either.

The visuals overall are really good, the cut-scenes are stunning and the facial animation are gorgeous, I really like details like sand coming out the mouth of the skeleton or birds that fly away when you get close or anything like this, the ice texture is one of the best I've seen and some area are just "Magnifique", the first problem is that the game isn't as good looking when you get on more open space, the intro is a very tiny corridor and look awesome but when you get on more open area, it doesn't look as good and you can see some average texture or effect, really surprising, the aliasing really is noticeable and framerate performance are really annoying, especially during fights, there is some tearing here and there but nothing dramatic. the second problem is the animation of Lara In game, they aren't as good as Lara animation in cut-scene and it's distracting because it really looks like move set from the previous one, ugly as a sin.

the gameplay is the real problem for me, it's a really really linear game, it's just a succession of little corridor when you're walking until the next cut-scenes or QTE moment ( the game really is a QTE game for now ) the level design is pretty lazy and the enigmas too simple, you can even get them easier but using the right stick to enlighten the solution, meh. There is something wrong with the controls too, it's like Lara doesn't respond correctly, especially while shooting, the input lag is pretty annoying and feel awkward after TR 2013 that was really fun in this department.

the characters are pretty annoying too, Jonah looks like a terrible character and I already find him annoying, Lara is better than it's 2013 version but still not as good as she could be, the bad dude, well he's "bad" but the plot looks better than TR 2013 even if the bad writing from the previous game is here too, especially on dialogue, they're terrible lol, the voice acting is pretty good though but everything relate to sound on this game is amazing.

after playing a little more than 2 hours my feeling are pretty mixed, it's a good looking game but very linear, the gameplay is a little off and the characters are annoying, the plot looks good and I still want to know what will happen next so it's a good thing, It's not a bad game but I don't think it deserve the score it received for now, I'll try to finish it before the end of this week and release my final impression, a solid 7.5/10 for now.

Hmm I just reached the Soviet Hub and there had been far less slow walking and QTE's than in the original from what I remember. I really enjoying it so far. I disabled survival instinct so im not tempted to use it. I 100% each area so far minus the Siberian Wilderness because I don't have gear I need to enter some of the caves. I don't feel it is really a corridor so far necessarilly. There were lots of small things to look around for in the Wilderness and prohet's tomb main chamber and the Soviet Installation looks huge. I felt the input lag was actually worse on the Xbox One version of the Definitive Edition but but the PS4 version was better than this. Im guessing it is because of the framerate. Either way the PC version should solve any technical/aliasing issues with this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question about crafting arrows: do normal arrows take resources to craft? I got confused with 'silent arrows' but they just seem to be the default ones? So if I'm running around and hold RT to craft arrows, do I need feathers etc?

graywolf323

if I got duplicate cards from a pack (I bought the deluxe edition with season pass after all the excellent reviews yesterday) but they're different star levels does it matter which one I hang onto?

blackflag

Waiting to see if this turns into shoot bang nonsense by the end like the last one when it basically turned into call of duty. I loved the first half of the game though.

Wow, a lot of people seem to be debbie downers regarding the previous Tomb Raider and even this game.

Anyways, I just got Fallout 4 (PS4) and Rise of the Tomb Raider this morning before work...I can't wait to start playing these games. Tomb Raider was my favorite game of 2013 along with Last of Us. So I'm expecting a fun game. Loved it.

Looking forward to reading impressions and thoughts as you all play through it too!

Arklite

watched some play last night on stream, it looks absolutely dope. There was some interesting dialogue between Lara and what seemed to be the main antagonist that reminded me some of CD's previous TR games with Natla, so maybe it's not all bland on the story side. It's a shame they didn't release last week to give it a week to itself.

JayB1920

Just found a hidden crypt right after entering the soviet Hub and found an ancient bow part. It was dark, claustrophobic and a few hidden ledges and paths to explore. Only complaint is I keep dying on hard mode because I keep forgeting to heal since it disables regenerating health. That and I need to get used to aiming with 30 fps again. Coming off the PS4 version of the Reboot this will take a bit of getting used to. Graphics look phenomenal but image quality can use some work. Some of the audio/notes are interesting and have some nice history and background. Story seems a bit better and the villain is much better than Mathias so far.

RoKKeR

Not surprised but damn, OT is moving slowly. Impressions sound positive so far though, probably going to jump on this soon and then grab Fallout 4 around the holidays.

Syriel

You haven't gotten into the Soviet Hub yet. The first hour or two of the game (depends on how fast you push through it) is pretty linear, but after that it opens up and you can pretty much do whatever. The main story is always there for you to progress if you like, but each area is more of a hub to explore than a linear level.

Just picked up my copy, looking forward to playing it later on in the week. Got this on disk, I normally get games digital now, but I don't see myself playing this over and over, so will trade it in maybe once done.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Played the intro and the first tomb over my lunch break. Man, this game is definitely a looker! The animations are top notch and it looks like there's going to be a lot of collectibles and challenges that can keep the completionists out there busy for a while.

Can't wait to really dig into this game tonight!

Ferny

Not surprised but damn, OT is moving slowly. Impressions sound positive so far though, probably going to jump on this soon and then grab Fallout 4 around the holidays.

Fallout is a HUGE game so that's to be expected to be the focus, but honestly it doesn't make TR any less of a big game, just that the focus is elsewhere at the moment. Not to mention Halo and COD dropped as well.

X1 owners tho should definitely try this game. It is a ton of fun so far (maybe 4-5 hours in) and does make good improvements over the first game.

JonnyKong

It is sad to see how slow this thread is, but hey, at least I'll be able to keep up once I start playing the game.

It might start getting busier once us, good looking, funny, charming British folk get hold of it.

Top Bottom