• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This game is much better than any uncharted game.

I'll hold off on judgement for now. Uncharted 2 is probably my game of the gen last gen. That's one hell of a bar to clear. From what I've played of Tomb Raider so far though, they definitely put an amazing foot forward.

I plan to pick it up this Friday when it releases here in the UK.

However, I am concerned to hear issues surrounding input lag - how big a problem is it? Is it noticeable?

EktorOni

So, I dug the first one's gameplay and environmental design, could say the same for the actual game mechanics. Didn't finish it, though... I absolutely abhorred the story, characters, voice acting and overall sense of "we're more HARDCORE than Uncharted!". Meh.

Is this game any different in those aspects? I'm really craving for a polished, single-player action/adventure experience with Metroidvania elements, good art, good music and a serviceable story.

Zeta Oni

It's like TR2013 on steroids.

And I absolutely love it.

Also, I wanna say this is one of the best looking games I've ever played, and some of the locations in motion are flat out gorgeous.

Got this game installing.
Done with Fallout 4 so far, so I will see if I can beat this real quick.

Edit: Damn, that opening was fierce.

SomTervo

Game is great. If you liked TR 2013 you'll love this. The prologue alone was far more fun than anything I experienced in Uncharted 1 a few weeks back (I've heard 2 and 3 are better so don't shoot me).

This game is much better than any uncharted game.

Uncharted 2 is a GOAT. Up there with MGS3, SH2, Max Payne 2, TLoU.

Even if this game is great, I really doubt it will match that.

I'm watching you both

The original title was great!

What was it?!

zsynqx

Uncharted 2 is a GOAT. Up there with MGS3, SH2, Max Payne 2, TLoU.

Even if this game is great, I really doubt it will match that.

I'm watching you both

Damn you have good taste in your GOAT list :p.

I am so jealous of everyone playing this game right now, there hasn't been a good third person action adventure game of this variety released in a good couple of years imo. The Last of Us and Tomb Raider (2013) are probably the last ones I remember enjoying.

jackdoe

After playing through the first hour, what really stood out to me the most was how polished the presentation was, especially the cut scenes. This game definitely does not look like it was cheap to make. If Square-Enix were unhappy with the sales figures of the first game for two years, they're going to be absolutely devastated by the sales figures for this game for three years.

One thing though, I did immediately notice the input lag during aiming. It's nowhere near Killzone 2 bad, but it could prove to be a pain in the ass during more difficult encounters (I'm playing on Seasoned Raider difficulty).

zsynqx

After playing through the first hour, what really stood out to me the most was how polished the presentation was, especially the cut scenes. This game definitely does not look like it was cheap to make. If Square-Enix were unhappy with the sales figures of the first game for two years, they're going to be absolutely devastated by the sales figures for this game for three years.

One thing though, I did immediately notice the input lag during aiming. It's nowhere near Killzone 2 bad, but it could prove to be a pain in the ass during more difficult encounters (I'm playing on Seasoned Raider difficulty).

Did you play Uncharted 3 at launch? Is it comparable to that?

I have played 2 hours of this and 2 hours of Fallout. I think I might have to finish Tomb Raider instead of continuing to split time. Really digging the presentation and how tight it feels.

jackdoe

Did you play Uncharted 3 at launch? Is it comparable to that?
Based on the first hour, Uncharted 3's original aiming issues were definitely a much larger issue than the input lag in Rise of the Tomb Raider. The input lag hasn't caused me to stop playing the game, whereas in the case of Uncharted 3, I literally stopped playing the game an hour in and waited about a month for Naughty Dog to fix it before going back.

zsynqx

Based on the first hour, Uncharted 3's original aiming issues were definitely a much larger issue than the input lag in Rise of the Tomb Raider. The input lag hasn't caused me to stop playing the game, whereas in the case of Uncharted 3, I literally stopped playing the game an hour in and waited about a month for Naughty Dog to fix it before going back.

Okay cool. I powered through with Uncharted 3 and that, among many other things soured me on that game so much.

Played a few hours today. Plan to do all the optional tombs and missions to have Lara close to maxed by the end of the game. I haven't played Fallout 4 yet but this is sitting right behind The Witcher 3 as my GOTY. Hopefully it stays this good.

Just finished the opening level. Good lord this game is absolutely fantastic gorgeous. The only problem is however I cant tell when cutscenes end and gameplay begins. One point I was holding up the control stick to make Lara climb but then I realized it was a cutscene lol.

Something about the mocap work feels weird. Like the mouths dont match the words sometimes. I really like how hair is rendered in this game though. Really nice.

Any idea on how long the campaign is?

Nuke Soda

The environmental artist have really done good work. Was impressed by the island from the last game and Siberia is really impressing me this time around.

It's absolutely criminal how much this game is going to get slept on :(

It's fantastic in so many ways. I wish more people would give it the time of day, although I guess that's what happens when you make it an exclusive to a company that didn't even bother marketing it and then release it on the same day as the most anticipated game of the year.

Siiiiiiigh. Hope this doesn't kill the franchise (again).

hawk2025

My major fear was that they were going to try to do set-piece moments again and fail like TR2013, but so far those have been really good, and it has been added on top of a more expanded "semi-open" areas system with stuff to do and collect. The super-linear early bits of this game just on the first two hours are already better than any of the ones on TR2013.

I don't think the game will change any minds from people that hated TR2013, but damn, it's just made for me. I love it.

zsynqx

It's fantastic in so many ways. I wish more people would give it the time of day, although I guess that's what happens when you make it an exclusive to a company that didn't even bother marketing it and then release it on the same day as the most anticipated game of the year.

It reviewed to well for the franchise to die. Assuming there aren't massive lay offs at CD, which would be a tragedy as they were not the ones responsible for the questionable business decisions.

jond76

Banned

I saw at least two long commercials during Fargo last night. So there is advertising going on.

Can't wait to get back to it after work.

It reviewed to well for the franchise to die. Assuming there aren't massive lay offs at CD, which would be a tragedy as they were not the ones responsible for the questionable business decisions.
It would be terrible :( but I wouldn't put it past SE, considering they were unhappy with 2013's 5m. They're clearly a very talented team.
I saw at least two long commercials during Fargo last night. So there is advertising going on.

Can't wait to get back to it after work.
Thank goodness for that :p small mercies.

Just finished the opening level. Good lord this game is absolutely fantastic gorgeous. The only problem is however I cant tell when cutscenes end and gameplay begins. One point I was holding up the control stick to make Lara climb but then I realized it was a cutscene lol.

See, this is actually one of the things I love about TR. I often can't be sure if something is a cutscene/scripted, so I just move in the way that makes sense.

(speaking about TR2013)

emrober5

Picked this up with the Target buy 2 get 1 deal.

I played for about two hours. I am really enjoying this. Game looks much better than I expected.

hawk2025

I plan to pick it up this Friday when it releases here in the UK.

However, I am concerned to hear issues surrounding input lag - how big a problem is it? Is it noticeable?

It's absolutely there.

It's not Uncharted-3-pre-patch or Killzone 2 bad, but it's up there in a way that I personally haven't noticed in a while. Immediately noticeable, and an immediate downgrade from the snappiness and super-responsiveness of TR2013.

That said, it hasn't been enough to truly impact the experience so far. It just takes away from that super-precise feeling of the first game.

JayB1920

It's absolutely there.

It's not Uncharted-3-pre-patch or Killzone 2 bad, but it's up there in a way that I personally haven't noticed in a while. Immediately noticeable, and an immediate downgrade from the snappiness and super-responsiveness of TR2013.

That said, it hasn't been enough to truly impact the experience so far. It just takes away from that super-precise feeling of the first game.

I noticed it in the Xbox One version of the reboot too but not the PS4 or PC version.

Insane praise for the visuals which is nice to hear. Bought it but haven't started yet. Impressions seem great.

To be fair, the Definitive Edition looks absolutely fantastic as well:

Screenshot-Original.png

JayB1920

Just did the Voice of God challenge tomb. Absolutely jaw dropping environment. The cliffside with the waterfalls during sunset. The small monastery at the end. The reveal when you open the door. Absolutely beautiful and incredibly atmospheric. The puzzle reminded me a bit of the Hall of Ascension from the Reboot but better done and more clever. My favorite moment so far.

Top Bottom