• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

To be fair, the Definitive Edition looks absolutely fantastic as well:

Screenshot-Original.png
It did, amazing game with an amazing remaster. It's such a shame the DE upgrades never came to PC.

Also, on input lag - I don't notice it when jumping or moving, but it is very noticeable when aiming. There's like a good half a second or more between moving the right analog and anything happening on screen. It's not a mega deal breaker and after a while I adjusted but it does make getting head shots a lot harder, and it does impact the playability when compared to TR2013 which had incredibly responsive aiming. Here's hoping they patch it!

nib95

Banned
I noticed it in the Xbox One version of the reboot too but not the PS4 or PC version.

The Xbox One controller sticks have a larger deadzone than the Dualshock 4's, that's probably adding to it, and why you noticed a difference. There's comparison videos from other games too (COD, Destiny etc) that show the Xbox One versions are less responsive as a result of the deadzone.

Not sure how much of the input lag complaints for this game are to do with the game itself, or the actual controllers. I'll test it properly myself when I get back.

x-Lundz-x

Same lol

Literally about to start. Here it goes.

:)

Does anyone know if this game has new game plus? I just finished eating and about to start and am curious if I need to start on survivor difficulty. It would be cool if all my upgrades carried over from my first play through but if I have to start all over anyway I'll just do survivor.

BashNasty

Played the first couple hours of this game after taking a break from Fallout, it's gorgeous and fantastic. I should say that I fucking loved Tomb Raider 2013, so I'm very much the target audience for this.

At this rate I could be playing a couple of my favorite games of the year at the same time. Tomb Raider, Fallout and Legacy of the Void have all made wonderful first impressions.

What and amazing time to be a diversified gamer!

Hawk269

Really loving the game. Graphics are fantastic. I know there are some that like to nitpick frame rate etc, but I have played a few levels now that in the Digital Foundry shows that the frame rate drops and honestly, I could barely tell if it did drop. For me, it is the most visually pleasing game on consoles so far. I know that is saying a lot and I am opening myself up to attacks, but a game with environments this open and what they were able to accomplish is pretty incredible. The level of detail is just insane as well. Ryse Son of Rome was imho the best looking game on this generation of consoles, but I think this one tops it. Games like The Order, Infamous, Ryse, Tomb Raider really show what these consoles can do.

Could it be better, of course. I notice some AA issues here and there and areas where the shadows could have been better, but I can say that about any of the games I have listed above. Bottom line, for me it is a pleasing looking game, with great sound effects and good character models.

The Xbox One controller sticks have a larger deadzone than the Dualshock 4's, that's probably adding to it, and why you noticed a difference. There's comparison videos from other games too (COD, Destiny etc) that show the Xbox One versions are less responsive as a result of the deadzone.

Not sure how much of the input lag complaints for this game are to do with the game itself, or the actual controllers. I'll test it properly myself when I get back.
It's definitely not just the controller. You can slam the right analog stick full tilt to a direction and nothing happens on screen for a fair while. Definitely not just the dead zone, I tried it.

Lima

In case anyone is wondering the following as well you can return to Syria after completing the game in case you missed a collectable or the challenge there.

So you are not cheated out of your 100%. Was a relief for me to know.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Really wishing this game didn't come out the same day as Fallout 4, I'd love to play it but it's just not feasible right now. Especially with Battlefront next week.

Nemesis_

I could be wrong but you can adjust the sensitivity of the sticks with the new Xbox Accessories app can't you?

Started playing about an hour ago and man-o-man am I glad I didn't wait for this. So far I am really liking the presentation. It feels very immersive for me, playing the game with a headset is amazing.

The visuals are really good too a nice treat to the overall package, very beautiful looking game. Textures, shaders, water, this game is so good.

In Syria right now, bout to get out of it I think? Loving it.

Started playing about an hour ago and man-o-man am I glad I didn't wait for this. So far I am really liking the presentation. It feels very immersive for me, playing the game with a headset is amazing.

The visuals are really good too a nice treat to the overall package, very beautiful looking game. Textures, shaders, water, this game is so good.

In Syria right now, bout to get out of it I think? Loving it.
Make sure to turn off online features in the options! It gets rid of weird pop-ups telling you to go open packs in the marketplace which ruin immersion. :p

From the reviews, I've been really impressed with how much the scope of the game has grown from the first. The environments look incredible. It's great to see you guys having fun, I'll be looking forward to it next year!

From the reviews, I've been really impressed with how much the scope of the game has grown from the first. The environments look incredible. It's great to see you guys having fun, I'll be looking forward to it next year!
It's taken on a LOT more RPG elements than I expected. Friendly NPCs, a town, side missions, upgrade paths with dependencies... It feels like to Tomb Raider 2013 what Arkham City was to Asylum.

hawk2025

I've played plenty of Xbox One games, but this is on a whole new level.

I think it's a mix of very slow camera acceleration and input lag. It's not just camera acceleration, because the left stick also feels weird, but I don't think it's just input lag because the impact on camera movement and aiming is significantly larger.

I dunno, hopefully we get a patch. Not a deal breaker for now, though.

leng jai

The game does feel a little sluggish, especially when aiming. Wouldn't be surprised if there was considerable input lag.

But Asylum was better. This doesn't make any sense.
Debatable. :p I flit between the two but I think they're about equal. And I was mostly referring to scope, gameplay, etc. :)
Haven't seen any of those, I am not signed into the Square Enix account thing...maybe that's why?
Nah I'm not either. You might not have reached them yet :) but if it does come up at least you know how to get rid of it!

Debatable. :p I flit between the two but I think they're about equal. And I was mostly referring to scope, gameplay, etc. :)

Nah I'm not either. You might not have reached them yet :) but if it does come up at least you know how to get rid of it!

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know if we can go back to Syria area? I missed 3 of the chandeliers or whatever they are for the first challenge :-/...

Elixist

the graphics are nice, sometimes amazing, sometimes fairly muddy and boring. i dont think its as nice visually as GTAV or Sunset let alone a ryse or order.

im having fun the challlenge tombs are pretty great, but fuck off with the notifications i know theres a fucking cave lol. i cant believe you cant turn off those popups.. also a nitpick with the swimming lara looks like shes levitating 4 inches too high above the water alot of the time looks like shit breaks the illusion.

RoKKeR

BF4 peaked 16k players today, I would hope it would pass it many times over on release date!

I mean, as far as concurrent players go I can't expect much more from the game, given what else is out currently, it's potential player base, and the fact that it still hasn't launched in Europe.

Grisby

Got kind of pass the tutorial part. I think I spent a good solid minute going in and out of a crawlspace because it looked so damn good. The lighting and Lara's character model, she looks damn good.

Also, ponytail fixing: the game.

Also, also, feels like TR2013 in the controlling department, but I already love the feeling of being batman by climbing atop the trees.

I had high hopes after being impressed by TR2013 and TR:DE, and so far this has surpassed them. I'm loving it and am totally floored by the visuals.

I'm noticing Lara still does her "ponytail adjustment" hand motion even when wearing an outfit with a hood, which is kinda weird though :p

SpokkX

So are there less enemies this time?

I much prefer less and smarter/stronger enemies

Lara the mass murderer kind of turned me off on the last gsme

Ricker

In case anyone is wondering the following as well you can return to Syria after completing the game in case you missed a collectable or the challenge there.

Ah cool...I had only one hanging lantern left to find but I triggered the objective cutscene and all before finding the last one,everything else was done...

hawk2025

So far, yes.

But frankly, Lara shoots at someone that's trying to steal a book right at the beginning of the game, so if thaaaat's your problem...

Zeta Oni

Less enemies plus survival difficulty seems like it would be a great fit for what your looking for. Engagements are short, but intense everytime.

Plus there's alot more freedom as to how you go about your killing, some areas don't require any bloodshed at all.

The_Dude

So I'm going to be irritated that I missed two things there for the next 20 odd hours?! I was hoping I could get back sooner than that.

leng jai

Anyone having trouble in the wolf caves? The laggy aiming and dodgy framerate make it super difficult to shoot them when they're charging at you.

dochuge

Anyone having technical difficulties with this? The game terminates within ten seconds of the opening cutscene with some kind of cryptic error message.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The game is beautiful and there seems to be a lot more exploration this time around. I am loving it so far.

Nuke Soda

Don't know about smarter, killed about 5 or 6 dudes while hiding in one bit of shrubbery. It was awesome.

daffy

Banned
This game is life. The entrances to the challenge tombs and crypts are so deceiving as you think there won't be much in there and then all of a sudden it opens way up

hawk2025

Anyone having technical difficulties with this? The game terminates within ten seconds of the opening cutscene with some kind of cryptic error message.

Beware of tigers.

Apparently the play-as-it-installs is broken. Wait until installation is 100% done.

Catdaddy

Great game so far, not use too the X1 controller so if I get a X prompt I hit the A button cause I'm use to the PS controller (its on the bottom). That's killed me more than anything. Looking forward to digging in this weekend.

Nuke Soda

Beware of tigers.

Apparently the play-as-it-installs is broken. Wait until installation is 100% done.

I can attest to that. Played at 97% and had a cutscene with no voice even though Lara was talking a mile a minute, it was by the first monolith in Syria and then when the enemies first show up in Syria the cutscene broke and started making awful noises. Waited for 100%, replayed all over and everthing was a-okay.

markstuckert

Neo Member
I've played plenty of Xbox One games, but this is on a whole new level.

I think it's a mix of very slow camera acceleration and input lag. It's not just camera acceleration, because the left stick also feels weird, but I don't think it's just input lag because the impact on camera movement and aiming is significantly larger.

I dunno, hopefully we get a patch. Not a deal breaker for now, though.

I wanted to ask about this – I figured maybe I'd just played a couple 60fps games and had to settle back into 30 – don't get me wrong, great game, but the controls felt a bit loose. Good to know it's something to do with input and I'm not crazy.

Would … would an Elite controller fix this? Also I heard something about an accessories app…

Top Bottom