• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

bedlamite

Yep it's a shame this thread is moving slowly, this game is easily one of the contenders for GOTY. Only about 2 hours in, but it's super-polished ('sup Fallout 4) and exploration aspects have been improved from the last game.

JayB1920

Red Mine challenge tomb had me stuck for about 20 minutes. I feel like an idiot. They are definitely much better this time around.

watership

Yep it's a shame this thread is moving slowly, this game is easily one of the contenders for GOTY. Only about 2 hours in, but it's super-polished ('sup Fallout 4) and exploration aspects have been improved from the last game.

I certainly hope that this game gets a second wind once the Fallout 4 hype dies down.

dakini

Red Mine challenge tomb had me stuck for about 20 minutes. I feel like an idiot. They are definitely much better this time around.

Same lol. For awhile I thought there was a bug that wouldn't let me finish the tomb, but I eventually saw what I was missing!

Really loving the optional tombs this time around.

JayB1920

Same lol. For awhile I thought there was a bug that wouldn't let me finish the tomb, but I eventually saw what I was missing!

Really loving the optional tombs this time around.

I was thinking the solution was timing based at first lol. Yeah they are much better. I like that there are little nooks and crannies in them to explore and that they are mixing in some platforming between puzzle steps.

VinFTW

Bought, RotTR and FO4 same day.

Haven't touched FO4. Wow.

This game is certainly special. Just binged played for a good 3 and a half hours. Definitely going to be doing all the optional Tombs and stuff.

Yoday

never thought I would keep Fallout 4 on the side while I finish Tomb Raider....
I always planned to. With both games coming out on the same day one of them had to be kept in waiting, and Fallout was the logical choice for me. Tomb Raider is a shorter game, and playing it first gives Fallout a chance to get the patches I always assumed it would need.

x-Lundz-x

I always planned to. With both games coming out on the same day one of them had to be kept in waiting, and Fallout was the logical choice for me. Tomb Raider is a shorter game, and playing it first gives Fallout a chance to get the patches I always assumed it would need.

Took the words out of my mouth haha.

Cleve

Starcraft, Fallout, Tomb Raider, Rodea. This week is just too much. That said, I really enjoyed the 2 hours I put in to TR tonight. I get the feeling it'll be sucking up the bulk of my time.

golem

I figure its best to give some time for Bethesda to roll out some patches anyways ;)

The design of the game is much better than the first, they really pack alot of stuff to do in the hubs. So many passages I cant quite open yet as well.

The rats and scorpions on the walls and over corpses is just insanely detailed.
The tombs are beautifully eerie like they were in the old Tomb Raider games.
For me its the best looking game I've seen so far this gen, Ryse use to do it for me but this is even better.

2 hours played and so far the platforming and exploration seem much better paced than the last game. Hate to call it a night,I could play this for ever.

dreamfall

Just finished 100%-ing the first title on the XBO to get familiar with the controller for the sequel. Finally ready to dive in, and just get lost in it all. So happy that this is finally out!

D23

Just put in two hours into this amazing game. Fallout 4 is still in shrink wrapped.

Amazing game... Taking my sweet time exploring every area.

Navy Bean

Played about 3-4 hours and I must say I am really enjoying this game. Exploration and gameplay both seem improved from the first game. And it's probably the best looking game I've played this gen.

This game wasn't really on my radar but I'm glad I made the impulse buy to play this before FO4.

drotahorror

Anyone know how to see their time played?

I'm slowly making my way through things. I feel like I should just follow the story for a bit and get some upgrades since I see lots of places that I can't access. The ones that look like you need a fire arrow or something are the ones that really bug me.

hawk2025

The seams start showing a little bit after spending some time on the first major open area. There are flashes of Ubisoft-gaming scattered throughout, and it's like they took to heart some of the criticism from the previous game, but then decided "oh yeah, you didn't like the "Secret Tomb Nearby" pop-up? What if we make it happen CONSTANTLY while you explore instead? Again, and again, and again?"

That said, the area to explore is quite interesting and I love, love the new mobility with the trees and trunks.

There's just so, so many trinkets, bits, bobs, and pieces to collect and little icons on the map.

daffy

Banned
Yeah there is quite a lot scattered about to collect. I don't like that coin caches are nigh invisible besides a quick translucent gleam. You basically have to use survival instinct and even then its a bit tricky to actually locate some of them. And I only get one or two coins per cache so far so unlocking weapons is a bit of a grind.

drotahorror

Yeah there is quite a lot scattered about to collect. I don't like that coin caches are nigh invisible besides a quick translucent gleam. You basically have to use survival instinct and even then its a bit tricky to actually locate some of them. And I only get one or two coins per cache so far so unlocking weapons is a bit of a grind.

So that's what coins are for? I couldn't remember what the tooltip said. Also, I could be wrong but I think the coin caches are random.

Still wondering how to view time played.

TripOpt55

This seems better in just about every way than the reboot so far. Better tombs. More options in combat. Better exploration. More in-depth crafting. Better encounter design. And so on. Looks amazing too. Having a blast so far. Can't wait to dig in some more tomorrow.

jfoul

I think I put about four hours into TR, really great game so far. Side tombs have been fun, and the little stories from the documents are interesting. The biggest surprise for me is how good the game looks. I've seen some pre-release pics and some videos, it just looks way better in motion. I don't know what the resolution or frame rate is, but it runs great.

If you have an Xbox One, buy it.

JayB1920

Just reached the second hub area. The tomb area right before had some amazing atmosphere and visuals. Puzzle to open the door was fun if easy.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I just want a button prompt for Lara to take her glow stick into her hand. When entering a dark area she turns the glow stick on, holds it for a second up in the air before her and then immediately puts it away to the back. Possibly a bug?

After playing Fallout 4 for the whole day and getting hooked I decided to try this out and I gotta say it is freaking great so far. I'm having a blast with it and the game looks downright unreal at points. PC and PS4 owners definitely have something to look forward to when the game releases on those platforms.

jond76

Banned
I just want a button prompt for Lara to take her glow stick into her hand. When entering a dark area she turns the glow stick on, holds it for a second up in the air before her and then immediately puts it away to the back. Possibly a bug?

I think she just hangs it off her belt for convenience sake, it still produces a glow around her. Doesn't seem out of place to me.

Syriel

Keep exploring the area. There are backpacks and maps which add hidden items (including coin caches) to your map.

Find those and the coin caches are super easy to track down.

Flintty

Just finished 100%-ing the first title on the XBO to get familiar with the controller for the sequel. Finally ready to dive in, and just get lost in it all. So happy that this is finally out!

Nice one! I was looking at my remaining achievements earlier this week - most of them are multiplayer. Are they still doable? Does anyone play multiplayer?

drotahorror

I think my only real issue with this game is the map. I wish it would take away collectibles when you find them and not grey them out. Also, if I visit a cave or something but don't have the right items to fully explore it, it greys those out as well. When I finally do get the items I need to explore the caves I'll have to back track to every one of them, even ones I completed.

Just would be nice if it only greyed out caves when you've got everything inside them. And also remove relics/documents/murals etc from the minimap completely once you've found them.

Oddly enough, campsites are greyed out if you don't build them. They turn white if you do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I cleared most of the first area but I might just press on with the story and do a clean up later. Some areas are locked behind upgrade requirements so you can't 100% immediately anyway and I'll waste too much time exploring and distracting me from moving things forward. I'll explore anything I come across naturally but i'mnot going out of my way. Did that with TR2013 too.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I too set aside Fallout 4 for this game and my god, it's absolutely beautiful. Like WAY better than Tomb Raider remastered, I really didn't expect that. This game has succeeded in reminding me that we're finally in next gen territory. Impressed.

dreamfall

Nice one! I was looking at my remaining achievements earlier this week - most of them are multiplayer. Are they still doable? Does anyone play multiplayer?

Oh my! No way did I try to do the multiplayer ones, I was just speaking on collecting everything for single player! When the first game came out on PC, I hit level 34 and just couldn't take anymore. It was so janky!

And I'd just like to say thanks to Crystal Dynamics- just jumped off and hit A,B for a swan dive. Tears of joy!

I've played 22% of the game according to the achievement tracker, and here are my thoughts:

The Good

- Game is beautiful
- Enemy encounters are truly what you want them to be, with lots of different approaches (full stealth, guns blazing, mix & match, etc)
- Tombs are way more challenging and multi-layered

The Bad/Awkward

- This game copies Uncharted 2 almost criminally. From the opening scene, to the
flashbacks
, to
Lara's relative
, to the main bad guy who
teaches a lesson to a henchman just like Lazarevic
. It's uncanny. (Minor spoilers but I purposely kept them generic.)
- The story and dialogue are just as awful as the first game. No nuance in the dialogue or character expressions. Nothing is done to establish empathy or even sympathy for what's going on.
- Shaky cam is back. This doesn't bother me a lot, but it's almost as overused as "everything is falling/breaking all the time" that this game and Uncharted 3 suffer from.

Hit or Miss

- The aiming/shooting mechanics/weapon sway are super loose. This is taking some getting used to, and it's not improving that much as I upgrade my weapons. Upgrades such as a headshot reticule have helped, but the sway remains. It seems like they are trying to copy The Last of Us, but there was noticeable improvement when you upgraded in TLOU. That being said, I do appreciate that it's more realistic and challenging.
- Collect-a-thon is back with a vengeance. My god, there is just too much crap to find. At one point I sad to myself, "I can't believe the bad guys haven't found ANY of these trinkets/caves/etc!" The obvious comparison here is to Assassin's Creed. It's quite addicting but it's also taking up way too much time so I've decided to stop collecting things that aren't directly in my path. I played for about 6 hours and am only 22% done, so I need to speed it up (just trying to beat the game right now, not going for 100%).

Conclusion

In conclusion, this is the same game as Tomb Raider, so if you liked that, you will like this, and if you didn't like it, you won't like this. If it weren't for the obvious graphical upgrades, it could easily be mistaken for DLC. This isn't a bad thing, it's just what it is. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, so I am very happy so far because I enjoyed Tomb Raider.

Having said all that, it still doesn't come close to the two things that make Uncharted special: Narrative/writing and playable set pieces. There's a cutscene where a helicopter attacks you in your car (this is in trailers so I'm not spoiling anything), and here it's just a cutscene, but in Uncharted it would be a playable set piece and it would be very exciting. This game still can't capture those special moments.

More importantly, it fails to establish characters, which is crucial in telling a good story. I want to talk more about this but I probably need to do it in a spoiler thread, which I'm assuming hasn't been made yet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I think she just hangs it off her belt for convenience sake, it still produces a glow around her. Doesn't seem out of place to me.

I'd be okay with that if she didn't hold it up before her for a second just because.

Just let me hold "X" shortly to grab it and hold it before her or hang it off her belt again.

It was nice to walk around with the torch in TR2013. I don't wanna miss it :)
screenshot-original11hds0t.png

I've played 22% of the game according to the achievement tracker, and here are my thoughts:

The Good

- Game is beautiful
- Enemy encounters are truly what you want them to be, with lots of different approaches (full stealth, guns blazing, mix & match, etc)
- Tombs are way more challenging and multi-layered

The Bad/Awkward

- This game copies Uncharted 2 almost criminally. From the opening scene, to the
flashbacks
, to
Lara's relative
, to the main bad guy who
teaches a lesson to a henchman just like Lazarevic
. It's uncanny. (Minor spoilers but I purposely kept them generic.)
- The story and dialogue are just as awful as the first game. No nuance in the dialogue or character expressions. Nothing is done to establish empathy or even sympathy for what's going on.
- Shaky cam is back. This doesn't bother me a lot, but it's almost as overused as "everything is falling/breaking all the time" that this game and Uncharted 3 suffer from.

Hit or Miss

- The aiming/shooting mechanics/weapon sway are super loose. This is taking some getting used to, and it's not improving that much as I upgrade my weapons. Upgrades such as a headshot reticule have helped, but the sway remains. It seems like they are trying to copy The Last of Us, but there was noticeable improvement when you upgraded in TLOU. That being said, I do appreciate that it's more realistic and challenging.
- Collect-a-thon is back with a vengeance. My god, there is just too much crap to find. At one point I sad to myself, "I can't believe the bad guys haven't found ANY of these trinkets/caves/etc!" The obvious comparison here is to Assassin's Creed. It's quite addicting but it's also taking up way too much time so I've decided to stop collecting things that aren't directly in my path. I played for about 6 hours and am only 22% done, so I need to speed it up (just trying to beat the game right now, not going for 100%).

Conclusion

In conclusion, this is the same game as Tomb Raider, so if you liked that, you will like this, and if you didn't like it, you won't like this. If it weren't for the obvious graphical upgrades, it could easily be mistaken for DLC. This isn't a bad thing, it's just what it is. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, so I am very happy so far because I enjoyed Tomb Raider.

Having said all that, it still doesn't come close to the two things that make Uncharted special: Narrative/writing and playable set pieces. There's a cutscene where a helicopter attacks you in your car (this is in trailers so I'm not spoiling anything), and here it's just a cutscene, but in Uncharted it would be a playable set piece and it would be very exciting. This game still can't capture those special moments.

More importantly, it fails to establish characters, which is crucial in telling a good story. I want to talk more about this but I probably need to do it in a spoiler thread, which I'm assuming hasn't been made yet.

Oh, there is a spoiler thread btw, here it is: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137038

Arklite

Been scoping some more streams. They've managed to tie in wilderness far better than before. There's more natural looking areas better populated with deer, rabbits and occasional wolf dens throughout. That along with the upgraded character model, animations, and display of snow residue or dampness on clothing make the survival theme all the more convincing, over and above the reboot. Survival really came off as window dressing before, but seems to have some substance now.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
Once you get into the world proper its got massive areas, I feel a little daunted by how much to do. I did absolutely everything in the previous game so I'm hoping to do the same again but with doing my house up and dating a new girl I'm going to struggle. I may have to drop the day and dating!

drotahorror

Ana sounds like Mary Steenburgen
And of course as I mentioned, Konstantin has got to be Clancy Brown.

Unsurprisingly, those are 2 of the best voice acted characters in the game, especially Mr. Brown.

Impulsor

Bought, RotTR and FO4 same day.

Haven't touched FO4. Wow.

This game is certainly special. Just binged played for a good 3 and a half hours. Definitely going to be doing all the optional Tombs and stuff.

I have touched Fallout 4 and I just can't keep on playing it having this. This game blew my mind. I like it a lot.

mocoworm

Sign up to True Achievements and you can organise private boosting sessions to get your multi-cheevs. They have a great system. You just say you are interested in that games sessions and then you get emails every time someone schedules a session. You can then join it if there are spaces left. Everyone gets to leave feedback after the session and rate everyone. Sessions are organised every day for all games, even weeks in advance.

Theorry

Playing for a while now. Its just really good. Its really a pure sequel.
Everything that could be better in the first game is now bigger and better. Really love the exploration and the tombs.

Top Bottom