• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

mocoworm

This only releases in UK on Friday. I'm so jealous of all you guys playing it and reading all this good stuff about the game.

Mondrian

Anyone know how to see their time played?

I'm slowly making my way through things. I feel like I should just follow the story for a bit and get some upgrades since I see lots of places that I can't access. The ones that look like you need a fire arrow or something are the ones that really bug me.

If you go into the options menu you'll see an option to display a broadcast overlay at the bottom. Turn that on and the time played should be on the bottom right.

Also, this game is capturing my attention like bloodborne did. Amazing game.

drotahorror

If you go into the options menu you'll see an option to display a broadcast overlay at the bottom. Turn that on and the time played should be on the bottom right.

Also, this game is capturing my attention like bloodborne did. Amazing game.

That's actually pretty neat. Thanks.

IbukiLordSA

Ok this thread needs to die until Friday, and no I don't have the willpower to stop myself from reading everyone's opinions :)

It's so annoying knowing that I have the full game installed on my Xbox and that the only thing I am waiting on is a stupid clock to tick over, these timed release dates for different regions that are only by a few days need to die already.

Theorry

Ok this thread needs to die until Friday, and no I don't have the willpower to stop myself from reading everyone's opinions :)

It's so annoying knowing that I have the full game installed on my Xbox and that the only thing I am waiting on is a stupid clock to tick over, these timed release dates for different regions that are only by a few days need to die already.

Thats why is always US or sometimes even Singapore for my games. Cheaper and earlier releases. :)

IbukiLordSA

Thats why is always US or sometimes even Singapore for my games. Cheaper and earlier releases. :)

Problem is if I bought this US it would have cost me R850 in my currency, where as buying it from my local store cost me R370, so it is quite a bit of a saving for me as I could buy 2 games for the price of one if I was to change to US region.

Montresor

The beginning of this game is incredible. The diversity in environments/locales reminds me a bit of Evil Within.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Gah! My bloody in-laws are visiting this weekend.

I feel a bout of "bowel-trouble" coming on that can only be helped by long visits to the toilet with my laptop and the xbox wireless adapter.

"Xbox, flush".

The beginning of this game is incredible. The diversity in environments/locales reminds me a bit of Evil Within.

Oooooooooh. I can't really open the pictures but when you say a diversified amaoumt of locations I get excited. Is there a lot of color in this game? Biggest complaint of TR2013.

drotahorror

This side mission where you have to kill a crow is really awful. I've spent like 20+ minutes looking for this stupid thing. There is no crow glowing in green when I have my survival instincts up.

Theorry

Problem is if I bought this US it would have cost me R850 in my currency, where as buying it from my local store cost me R370, so it is quite a bit of a saving for me as I could buy 2 games for the price of one if I was to change to US region.

Ah oke. You can check maybe here if you can get it cheaper somewhere else. At the top you can change your location. :)

Montresor

Oooooooooh. I can't really open the pictures but when you say a diversified amaoumt of locations I get excited. Is there a lot of color in this game? Biggest complaint of TR2013.

Well to be fair one of the "environments" is just a cutscene, but yes there's a lot of colour:

1) At the beginning of the game, you're thrown right into a
very windy, snowy mountaintop, and you climb on ice and run along thick snow. Colours are overwhelmingly white and blue

2) Then the game has a cutscene in
rainy UK at Lara Croft's home. The colour scheme changes to softer brown and black

3) Then the game throws you into
the war-torn, brown/red/orange Middle East, in Syria. You start off on a high cliff overlooking a city probably that is clashing with explosions/fire-fighting - you don't see anybody specifically fighting as the city is too far down below, but you notice little explosions and it's obvious the game is referencing ISIS and the Syrian civil war in some fashion. Then a few minutes later you go through a cave and find a lush, green Syrian temple/tomb.

So I've only played like 30 minutes and I've seen all this already, and I haven't reached the open world yet. Tomb Raider 2013 was a fantastic game, but it took place in one big jungle - this game has the player experience three radically different locales within 30 minutes.

Genio88

I'm loving this game, i've already played like 10 hours in 2 days, here some screens of mine about how good the Lara model has been made

22511454157_d8f678cb6e_o.png

22903624926_ae0935e149_o.png

22903561826_798698d44c_o.png

evilr

Banned
This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

Man is this necessary discussion in every tomb raider thread? Take this in sales thread or somewhere else. Discuss the game here.

but-how-do-you-really-feel-thumb.jpg

Wow!

Such insight! I can't believe no one have ever thought of either of these things. The incisive commentary you bring to this behind the scenes business deal is beyond reproach!

evilr

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;185038052 said:
Wow!

Such insight! I can't believe no one have ever thought of either of these things. The incisive commentary you bring to this behind the scenes business deal is beyond reproach!

Thank you.

U2NUMB

Well I must be a fool cause I bought the game (a few posts above me) .. but damn it if it is not amazing so far!!!!!

Loving the game, the opening few scenes are all over the place as far as visually and in a good way... I feel like going home and playing Tomb Raider before Fallout..... never would have guessed that.

LUXURY

Real good post here. Thanks for that. Not like we haven't heard it 181982848 times. What size violin do you want?

mocoworm

1. It's not an exclusive. It's a timed exclusive.

2. Fallout fans are not necessarily TR fans. I have bought TR but will be waiting for a while on Fallout... at least until the framerate is patched.

There will be no disaster.

Jumeira

Banned

You have a knack for going off topic. Please stop. The politics behind the title is irrelevant as CD have struck gold with Rise as a game, seems to be shaping up to be a classic and should be celebrated on its own merits.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
how is the music? is it still Jason Graves?

ALSO

Can someone tell me the name of the OST thats playing in GameSpot video review of this game. I cant fucking find it. I am assuming its from this game.

psychotron

Staying-Positive-in-the-Midst-of-Negativity.png

LordRaiden

Neo Member

Blah, blah, not fair, I have PS4, blah blah.

Want some cheese wth that whine?

Xbox owners have a game programmed solely for the Xbox platform, so its optimised.

PS4 owners will probably get a superior version with DLC included etc AND optimised for PS4.

How long have Xbox owners waited for MGS to arrive on their platform back in the PS2/ XBOX days? 2 YEARS!!
What did they get? A superior version.
See it as an investment.

Looking forward to playing more today :) I've been taking my time, doing the challenge tombs, missions, etc... I'm already on the Tier 3 upgrades and I think I'm still quite early on :p only 33% according to the main menu.

go away.

this game is incredible so far. i got this and fallout yesterday but am ALLLL over this instead. its more fun

Anyone know the thinking or logic behind these staggered release dates?

Same thing happened with Gears UE as well, this having to wait 3 extra days whilst our Yankee friends are playing the game and its just sitting there already installed on my hard drive is a joke.

Is there an actual reason behind this?

LordRaiden

Neo Member

Same thing happened with Gears UE as well, this having to wait 3 extra days whilst our Yankee friends are playing the game and its just sitting there already installed on my hard drive is a joke.

Localisation, shipping......

I don't know how old you are, but back in the cartridge era, it wasn't uncommon for a game to launch in US, only to be released elsewhere weeks if not, months after.

gossi

Almost every video game through history has released like this. There's lots of industry reasons.

Get the heck out of here with this mess. So tired of this same shit posted in all TR threads. The game is fantastic and CD should be very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm 35 years old and living in the UK so I have been used to getting games months after they were released in either Japan or North America, I just thought with the age of digital and no region locks that this would slowly start to stop.

Halo came out on the same day worldwide as did Fallout, you would think that with Gears and Tomb Raider being big tent pole franchises for MS then they would be looking to push these to simultaneous releases.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm just jealous that lots of you are playing it and im not :)

Drewfonse

I had this in my Amazon cart on Sunday and could have still gotten free release day delivery, but noooooooo, I had to wait for reviews. Now I have to wait until TH. Better than FR, I suppose.

Keep the impressions coming, sounds amazing!

Top Bottom