• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

drotahorror

There's these small crane's and other things holding boxes of supplies it looks like. How do you get them down? There's 3 or 4 of them in the first hub area.

Flintty

This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

After your comments in the EA Access thread yesterday, it's no surprise to see you here shitposting. You have some strange agenda to knock any positive Xbox thread?

The devs of this game do not deserve it to be a disaster. You're full of shit. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I quoted wrong person :p

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the game so far. Played up until I hit the third campsite and called it a night. Took my time exploring, listening to tapes and documents etc.

This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

Yes I too hope hundreds of passionate people lose their jobs and a great series dies because of console war bullshit. It feels like 1998 all over again, although at least then there was a novelty to reading shit trolling by 14 year old idiots.

I'm loving this game, i've already played like 10 hours in 2 days, here some screens of mine about how good the Lara model has been made

22511454157_d8f678cb6e_o.png

22903624926_ae0935e149_o.png

22903561826_798698d44c_o.png

Those are amazing, don't think I've reached those areas yet. Just got out of Syria and back into the snow.

Really? Take this and your salt shaker outta here, this thread doesn't need this kind of talk.

I had this in my Amazon cart on Sunday and could have still gotten free release day delivery, but noooooooo, I had to wait for reviews. Now I have to wait until TH. Better than FR, I suppose.

Keep the impressions coming, sounds amazing!
I've stopped playing the main quest and started doing side missions and crypts. I find crypts and tomb raiding to be the best part of the game. IMO this game smokes TR 2013. The tombs are better, skill tree selection is better, story...everything.

Drewfonse

I've stopped playing the main quest and started doing side missions and crypts. I find crypts and tomb raiding to be the best part of the game. IMO this game smokes TR 2013. The tombs are better, skill tree selection is better, story...everything.

Mmmmmmm, tombs.

The graphics look INCREDIBLE

I mentioned this in the RotTR DF thread, and just want to add on to an earlier post I made, but Lara's character model is truly exceptional.

In my opinion, this is the best implementation of hair physics in any game. It really is outstanding. As is the facial animations and performance capture. Of the games I've played, the facial animations and expressions on Lara are the most impressive I've ever seen.

As for the game itself, I'm about 90 minutes in, and really enjoying my time so far. It does feel like a sequel to Tomb Raider (2013), but seems to be much improved in almost every way. I'm really enjoying my time so far.

MaulerX

Wow this game is gorgeous. I figured it would look good but I'm surprised that it looks this good. I'm gonna take my sweet time with this and admire every nook and cranny and take lots of screenshots 😀

I just finished it a couple of hours ago. The end dragged a bit, but it had some epic moments.

Really good game overall, but I prefer the reboot. It felt more cohesive. Both are well worth picking up, though, and impressive.

I ended with 69%. I'll maybe go back and do the tombs I missed. I got about half of them (4/9?). But I don't particularly care for Expeditions mode much. I miss the MP.

good to see your post history consists of you just trashing anything xbox.

your agenda is showing

Aroll

Is this the Tomb Raider game I finally try?

I've always had a vague interest in the series, but by the time I tried it some 10 years back the series has mostly gone to crap. I skipped the reboot game not because it didn't look good, I was just at a different time in my life and didn't own the necessary platforms. I know it's rereleased, but I just have little drive to play it.

This TR game however has me intrigued. I've always enjoyed games that are puzzle and exploration based and something that gives me a very Indiana Jones type vibe. Is this game doing that? Because I really want to try it but I don't want to shell out money for a game i won't feel committed too.

Basically, is this a good game to come into without any prior TR experience and goes it fulfill what I said above?

drotahorror

Im pretty sure you need to wait until you get the combat knife to cut these down. I just got it so Im going to head back and see if it works. Fire, explosives and bullets wont touch these lol.

Yea let us know. I've unloaded several types of ammo at them.

JayB1920

I've always had a vague interest in the series, but by the time I tried it some 10 years back the series has mostly gone to crap. I skipped the reboot game not because it didn't look good, I was just at a different time in my life and didn't own the necessary platforms. I know it's rereleased, but I just have little drive to play it.

This TR game however has me intrigued. I've always enjoyed games that are puzzle and exploration based and something that gives me a very Indiana Jones type vibe. Is this game doing that? Because I really want to try it but I don't want to shell out money for a game i won't feel committed too.

Basically, is this a good game to come into without any prior TR experience and goes it fulfill what I said above?

Absolutely. no prior knowledge is necessary to enjoy the story though you will miss Lara's growth from the Reboot and some references. I can't say I'm getting an Indiana Jones vibe because it is not lighthearted fun. Main path is more combat focused with a few easy larger scale puzzles thrown in but there are some really good puzzles and plenty of exploration not on the critical path.

Udder

Neo Member
Really loving this game so far it is by far the best Tomb Raider yet! The writing is also a lot better than the reboot.

Flintty

If you have an Xbox One you might have claimed the free TR game a month or so back. Trying that would certainly inform you. It had the exploration and a few puzzles but it was a gritty game which was great for character investment. Lara took a beating!

I never really played the original games but I loved the reboot. I can't wait to play Rise but I'm on a shopping ban till after Xmas :(

There's these small crane's and other things holding boxes of supplies it looks like. How do you get them down? There's 3 or 4 of them in the first hub area.

You need upgrades. Keep playing and you'll find them naturally in the story.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a209096/tomb-raider-achievement.htm

Is that achievement missable? It's called "Tomb Raider" and its description states Complete All Challenge Tombs In One Playthrough.

Please tell me there is a way to re-visit areas after beating the story to complete challenge tombs and get this achievement.

Well you can fast travel between campsites, so that should make nothing unmissable as long as you get everything before the point of no return/last scene of the game.

Oh man, I forgot my biggest complaint, by far: Lara talks to herself way too much! I don't remember it being this bad in Tomb Raider, but I played it 2.5 years ago so I could be wrong. Every time she's at a campsite and starts talking, I think "Okay, this has gotta be the last sentence." And then she keeps going, and going, and going. Ugh.

Theorry

You need upgrades. Keep playing and you'll find them naturally in the story.

Well you can fast travel between campsites, so that should make nothing unmissable as long as you get everything before the point of no return/last scene of the game.

Oh man, I forgot my biggest complaint, by far: Lara talks to herself way too much! I don't remember it being this bad in Tomb Raider, but I played it 2.5 years ago so I could be wrong. Every time she's at a campsite and starts talking, I think "Okay, this has gotta be the last sentence." And then she keeps going, and going, and going. Ugh.

Wow. So just like a real woman? These games are becoming more and more realistic. ;)

Nemesis_

Nesses

Loving it. Got sucked in last night after work. 3-4 hrs in and loving it all. Its a pretty game. The stealth combat it really fun. I've been really working the bow and looking for the parts for the compound bow. Looking forward to doing the other challenges after I complete the game.

nillah

Banned
Game looks dope, hope by the time it rolls out to PS4 there's double the content and stable. Hope by the time TR hits PS5 it's remastered in 4KHD

MacBosse

Thanks for all the great impression guys! Looks like the game is a gem.

I'll be digging into it tomorrow and let Fallout 4 rest a few days.

Play the reboot first, then this one if you like that. At least, that's what I'd do. It's the cheaper option and I personally prefer the reboot.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
HOW DARE YOU XB1 OWNERS HAVE A GOOD GAME TO PLAY FIRST. HOW DARE YOU. SQUARE DID SOME SERIOUS FOOT SHOOTING!!!!!!

Game sounds great, anyone here rocking the 360 version? How is it going?

Get this garbage outta here. The game is great, and that's what we are here to discuss, not the same old tired fanboy bullshit that you seem to be pushing.

evilr

Banned
Get this garbage outta here. The game is great, and that's what we are here to discuss, not the same old tired fanboy bullshit that you seem to be pushing.

Guess I have to explain my intent.

Great games deserve great sales. Tomb Raider will not get great sales, not because it isn't a great game, but because of what the executives have decided.

I want to see another Tomb Raider. It is difficult to warrant one when less than 1 million actually buy the previous one. Now, I want such executives reprimanded, not the development team who have clearly delivered and worked their ass off with the game who will undoubtedly receive pressure due to the sales.

It is yet another example of the divide between board executives and game developers. They decided to pursue short-term profit (Microsoft deal) rather than long-term wealth maximization (all consoles, March release date, steady stream of sales).

I like Tomb Raider games, and I, like 99% of us, did not agree with the marketing deal because it spells danger for the franchise in the future.

I for one apologize that I didn't come across as making this point clearer. I'm new to GAF, visited without posting for 3 years and have a lot to say. I'm learning.

Thank you.

Ninjimbo

Am I the only one who -- despite thinking this is really good -- prefers the reboot?
Probably, the beginning of Rise is much stronger for me right now than the beginning of TR13. I'm about 4 hours in and everything is better right now. Literally everything.

Zeta Oni

Guess I have to explain my intent...

If you have been here as long as you say (especially as a TR fan), then you know that all this has all been shouted to the high heavens in every TR thread since it was announced. We get it.

This is the OT though, and we wanna talk about the actual game itself for once, which is amazing.

Great games deserve great sales. Tomb Raider will not get great sales, not because it isn't a great game, but because of what the executives have decided.

I want to see another Tomb Raider. It is difficult to warrant one when less than 1 million actually buy the previous one. Now, I want such executives reprimanded, not the development team who have clearly delivered and worked their ass off with the game who will undoubtedly receive pressure due to the sales.

It is yet another example of the divide between board executives and game developers. They decided to pursue short-term profit (Microsoft deal) rather than long-term wealth maximization (all consoles, March release date, steady stream of sales).

I like Tomb Raider games, and I, like 99% of us, did not agree with the marketing deal because it spells danger for the franchise in the future.

I for one apologize that I didn't come across as making this point clearer. I'm new to GAF, visited without posting for 3 years and have a lot to say. I'm learning.

Thank you.

Apology accepted as I was one of the people that did not agree with your post. I applaud you on defending your post. The problem is, there hasn't been a Tomb Raider thread that focus primarily on the game without potential derailment. We all understand that people are mad because of what not only Microsoft but Square Enix decided to do. Do we have to be reminded every thread? That's why I am tired of it. Why not just play the game and enjoy it - if you can. Leave the corporate mumbo jumbo to the execs that decided that this was the course of action they wanted to take for the game. I am sure that they have analyze the situation and they will take the best course of action if this situation presents itself again. "To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions." That's not the way you should react. Just as you stated above, you are learning. Maybe this is a learning experience for them as well.

It is a fantastic game, I want that to get across to people on the fence or the gamers mad that this game comes out later on other platforms. Don't let this stop you from playing when you have the chance to. IMO, this is the best game that I have played this year. Bloodborne was my favorite until I played this. Please don't let this stop you from playing it. It is well done. it's far better than I thought it would be.

Game looks great. Can't wait to grab it on ps4 but I think I'm gonna crack and end up grabbing it for Xbox one (I have OCD and need sequels on the same console so it sits on my shelf nicely)

People need to get more screenshots going in the screenshot thread

mocoworm

Tomb Raider will have great sales.

Titanfall has had exceptional sales and that released when the XONE userbase was a fraction of what it is now.

You are assuming. Never assume.

Plus, TR is releasing on PS4 in the future. They will still get all their sales on that format... maybe even more than releasing it now,as there will be more consoles sold by then plus great reviews from the XONE version will make people feel safe in their pre-orders and purchases. It will also probably be a better version and have all the DLC etc included.

Top Bottom