• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Probably, the beginning of Rise is much stronger for me right now than the beginning of TR13. I'm about 4 hours in and everything is better right now. Literally everything.

Agree 100%. It's a big improvement in every way so far.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive but the following word from your post could be considered a spoiler:
funeral
. :( I haven't reached that part yet so I have no idea if it's some major plot point.

It didn't come up in the story. If it is a spoiler, I apologize, but it's one of the achievements.

It's not a narrative spoiler, AFAIK, else I would've blacked it out. I've completed the game.

This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

tumblr_m7y38uSYPb1qhxwzi.gif

I just finished it a couple of hours ago. The end dragged a bit, but it had some epic moments.

Really good game overall, but I prefer the reboot. It felt more cohesive. Both are well worth picking up, though, and impressive.

I ended with 69%. I'll maybe go back and do the tombs I missed. I got about half of them (4/9?). But I don't particularly care for Expeditions mode much. I miss the MP.

How many hours did it take you to finish the game?

This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.
Thank you for your enlightenment.

Excuse me while I go buy a PS4 and a copy of Fallout 4.

Jumeira

Banned
Guess I have to explain my intent.

Thats all well and good, but there are countless of threads about this, so take it there. TR isnt going anywhere, its too big of franchise and Square would more than likely made lots from this deal. Now leave it alone and move on, or take it elsewhere.

We just want to discuss the game.

Played for three hours, this game is so fun. I love using the bow. When I got the pistol and saw the gangs, I was like "dammit". Still, this is much better than the 2013 reboot.

Ricker

With exploration, maybe 15-17 hours. I can't tell you for sure. It took a while though.

Thats not bad at all for a 69% completion...so probably close to 25-30 hours for me I guess because I kinda suck,especially at QTE,you can guarantee I will die a few times on those...the first bear encounter,not the actual fight but the prelude,I died 5 times and about 5 times also trying to swing on that large iced mountain side the first time they introduce swinging mechanics,lol.

Thats not bad at all for a 69% completion...so probably close to 25-30 hours for me I guess because I kinda suck,especially at QTE,you can guarantee I will die a few times on those...the first bear encounter,not the actual fight but the prelude,I died 5 times and about 5 times also trying to swing on that large iced mountain side the first time they introduce swinging mechanics,lol.

I was taking bears out with ease. The first one was tough, though!

Just roll away from them and pop an arrow into their head when you have a moment. Or use guns. They're exhilarating fights.

Funny enough I died more in the QTE than the actual fight. Lara was taking bear slaps like nothing.

T.O.P

Banned
Those screens in the other thread are absolutely gorgeous

Wanted to wait till Christmas to pick this up but i might suddenly head to GS on Friday after work

Played a few hours of it last night. Never played TR2013 (or a TR game for that matter), so my only point of comparison is Uncharted, but I'm have a blast with the game. And it looks really good too.

Somnia

I now have 7 of 9 tombs done and making really good progress. I am not done yet, but if it finishes well this is easily my top game of the year which I didn't think would happen, but it's so fucking good.

Ricker

Just roll away from them and pop an arrow into their head when you have a moment. Or use guns. They're exhilarating fights.

Yep,no guns yet though...I died on the bear the first time
when you have to run away from him,I hadnt seen the run option yet so I wasnt using it at first,so he kept outrunning me and eating me lol
,the actual fight went well.

Funny enough I died more in the QTE than the actual fight. Lara was taking bear slaps like nothing.

Yep lol...

I now have 7 of 9 tombs done and making really good progress. I am not done yet, but if it finishes well this is easily my top game of the year which I didn't think would happen, but it's so fucking good.

Its better than i expected and i had really high expectations for this game.

Montresor

Yeah I've only played 30 mins (I'm only in Syria and haven't seen a single enemy) but I've been so impressed. If it continues to impress me visually/aesthetically and improves upon the game play of TR 2013 then this will probably supplant Life Is Strange as my GOTY.

Gah, still at work.

Navy Bean

Am I the only one who -- despite thinking this is really good -- prefers the reboot?

Probably, lol. I think you said you don't love exploring and completed it with only doing 4 of 9 tombs. To me, those are the best parts. Plus, I love the location for this game. It's not radically better than the first but it is an improvement in almost every area for me.

Probably, lol. I think you said you don't love exploring and completed it with only doing 4 of 9 tombs. To me, those are the best parts. Plus, I love the location for this game. It's not radically better than the first but it is an improvement in almost every area for me.

I just liked the more streamlined first game. This one has a bit much going on in comparison and doesn't feel as tight. I don't want to badmouth it, though, because it's FAR, FAR from bad. It's a very good game.

This is just a personal preference thing.

I did a lot of exploring, but I'm not going to 100% it. I got my fill of exploration. I may go back and do the tombs, though - I'm just not a big puzzle guy.

I did a lot of exploring, but I'm not going to 100% it. I got my fill of exploration. I may go back and do the tombs, though - I'm just not a big puzzle guy.
Totally fair, I am a fan of the Xbox 360 games, so 2013 was a bit dissapointing to me. But this game is a great mix of the two.

Zenner

I'm a scrub, so started off on easy Adventurer difficulty. It took me about 90 minutes to finish the opening and the first Tomb; taking my sweet ol' time. It looks amazing. :D

The switches between game-play and the smaller cut-scenes are pretty seamless. I like how they do that, as opposed to cutting away completely for the smaller story revelations.

I know the game is rated M, but I was kinda surprised at how frequently the word "
shit
" gets tossed around in the dialogue. Weird.

The optional tombs - Are they easy enough to stumble across, during normal game-play?

I played on normal and found it really easy up until the end, when it became a bit more difficult due to lots of armored enemies at once. I normally play on hard, though.

Drewfonse

I think that it's great that CD added optional tombs. If you like like that sort of thing, great. If not, no need to play them. Seems like a nice nod to players who have played the games since the big thing WAS the tombs.

And yeah, hats off to Crystal Dynamics and their long track record of making quality games. Too many small/mid sized developers have gone out of business or have been gobbled up by big houses.

Way to go CD!

I think that it's great that CD added optional tombs. If you like like that sort of thing, great. If not, no need to play them. Seems like a nice nod to players who have played the games since the big thing WAS the tombs.

And yeah, hats off to Crystal Dynamics and their long track record of making quality games. Too many small/mid sized developers have gone out of business or have been gobbled up by big houses.

Way to go CD!

They deserve it

JayB1920

What are your thoughts on the tombs?

I friggen love this game so far, the story and characters are a large improvement over 2013, the enviroments and tombs are fucking gorgeous and full of interesting stuff. Lara is super likeable, the only issue ive had is the difficulty spike I hit with the mission silent night, im playong on the hardest difficulty and that mission is fucking brutal

RyudBoy

I just finished it a couple of hours ago. The end dragged a bit, but it had some epic moments.

Really good game overall, but I prefer the reboot. It felt more cohesive. Both are well worth picking up, though, and impressive.

I ended with 69%. I'll maybe go back and do the tombs I missed. I got about half of them (4/9?). But I don't particularly care for Expeditions mode much. I miss the MP.

Damn, I only got 38% completed so far, and I received the game a day early, too. Doing a lot of exploration instead of completing the main story!

How do you check playtime?

I don't think there's an in-game counter. People are just estimating their playtime. If I'm wrong, I would also like an answer to this question.

Navy Bean

So I grabbed the perk that supposedly automatically loots an enemy when you perform a stealth kill...but it never procs.

Anyone else have an issue with this? I tend to hide and snipe so this perk would be pretty cool.

drotahorror

I played on normal and found it really easy up until the end, when it became a bit more difficult due to lots of armored enemies at once. I normally play on hard, though.

I'm on survivor and that sounds like poop. I died probably 5 or 6 times to the first armored dudes I came across. It was a small area, dark, and 5 guys all together I believe. It was pretty frustrating. I couldn't believe it but a poison arrow changed everything.

golem

So I grabbed the perk that supposedly automatically loots an enemy when you perform a stealth kill...but it never procs.

Anyone else have an issue with this? I tend to hide and snipe so this perk would be pretty cool.
I think its only on stealth melee executions

Do i get my dual pistols in this game, or do I have to wait till next game?
I don't think you'll get them. I think that they were supposed to be an ode to classic Raider, seeing as they have been iconographically replaced by the bow + pick axe, which have become Lara's "things".

I'm on survivor and that sounds like poop. I died probably 5 or 6 times to the first armored dudes I came across. It was a small area, dark, and 5 guys all together I believe. It was pretty frustrating. I couldn't believe it but a poison arrow changed everything.

The poison arrows are overpowered. They're amazing.

Syriel

It didn't come up in the story. If it is a spoiler, I apologize, but it's one of the achievements.

It's not a narrative spoiler, AFAIK, else I would've blacked it out. I've completed the game.

Unless I'm wrong, it is a narrative spoiler. I haven't found it myself, but I'm guessing that it's end-game content. After the credits roll there is a post-credit sequence.
Given that both Ana and Jacob are dead, I'm assuming that the funeral achievement comes from finding one of their graves in the post-game runaround.
Could be totally wrong though.

How many hours did it take you to finish the game?

My in-game clock was at 11.5 hours, with 70% completion. I spent a good deal of time exploring early on, then pushed ahead with the story in the latter half to finish the game.

That said, I'm not sure how the story bits and collectibles match up, as I have more than 1/3, but less than 1/2 of the collectibles. So there's still plenty of stuff to do, even after you have finished the story.

Poison arrow is life here.

1) Sneak up on bear.
2) Shoot bear with poison arrow.
3) Unload on bear with regular arrows as fast as you can.

By the time the poison stun is over, bear is dead.

Yeah I've only played 30 mins (I'm only in Syria and haven't seen a single enemy) but I've been so impressed. If it continues to impress me visually/aesthetically and improves upon the game play of TR 2013 then this will probably supplant Life Is Strange as my GOTY.

Gah, still at work.

Syria is basically the training level.

How do you check playtime?

Bring up the broadcast overlay in the options menu. It'll show in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Navy Bean

I think its only on stealth melee executions

Well that's a worthless perk lol... I mean, I'm standing right there anyways so looting is not an issue. Granted, looting an enemy 50 feet away is not realistic but I'd be fine with suspending my disbelief for convenience.

Zeta Oni

Well that's a worthless perk lol... I mean, I'm standing right there anyways so looting is not an issue. Granted, looting an enemy 50 feet away is not realistic but I'd be fine with suspending my disbelief for convenience.

Serves me well. Mostly try and play close range stealth, so it's a real time saver for me. Upgrading to the knife stealth kill and you can drop them so quickly it's scary.

Really like the option of different playstyles, I've almost never had to use my guns outside of running out of ammo.

Somnia

Well I just hit a game breaking glitch after 15+ hours of playing. I'm going to put in spoiler tag, but I won't actually spoil anything other than some peoples names, just want to be safe in this thread.

I'm on the Cathedral mission, I hear Ana talking to her troops as I work my way up. I get to the marker for where I'm suppose to go and nothing is there, no people nada. So I walk back and it then loads the cut scene, but no floor under Ana. The next scene happens where I'm suppose to shoot the generators hanging, as soon as I do the game glitches and has Lara just hanging there with no rope, nothing, she floats into the wall.

I've tried reloading, rebooting the xbox, using the backup save feature and nothing works it happens every time. I'm going to try copying back to the internal drive, though I'm 99.9% sure that won't work since I think my save's are glitched.

AKA: I'm fucked and have to start over after 15+ hours

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I can already tell that this game is going to take me a while to complete. My overwhelming desire to collect absolutely everything and do every side quest in an area overrides my desire to progress the story.

That, and it's fun as hell to scramble around some of these hubs.
I've only just now hit the second hub after beating the bear.

Top Bottom