• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

JayB1920

House of the Afflicted tomb has me running in circles for 20 minutes before i noticed something. Turned out to be really simple but not using survival instincts can make it hard to notice some of the puzzle pieces you need to interact with.

I don't get this....

The first part with the snow mountains looked fantastic, nothing looked rough, all looked crisp. Now i am in Syria and damn does the foliage (outside before you go inside) look rough, it looks very very grainy here. It distracts the hell out of the experience. I have only seen this part on Youtube and there it looked quite clean actually, but Youtube has a way to mask aliasing and rough looking things.

It surely can't be my TV which is a LG OLED. I checked it out with different picture settings on the TV and it makes little difference. Fallout 4 looked fantastic on this earlier today with these settings and again...the snow part in Tomb Raider looked superb. Is it supposed to have a rough/grainy look in the exterior parts of the Syria chapter?

Navy Bean

Serves me well. Mostly try and play close range stealth, so it's a real time saver for me. Upgrading to the knife stealth kill and you can drop them so quickly it's scary.

Really like the option of different playstyles, I've almost never had to use my guns outside of running out of ammo.

Hmm, since I have the perk I'll give that a try once I get a knife.

Ninjimbo

So what kind of sales are they looking at here to be considered a success?
I don't think anyone really knows, but I think SE would be foolish to think it can sell as much as the first game when it's only out one system. Also, with Microsoft pitching in and with a pretty fast two year dev cycle, I don't think SE took a big financial risk so modest numbers shouldn't be that bad.

Of course, there's lots of things I don't know about. I'm probably wrong.

Teggy

Has anyone managed to get sleep mode to work with this game? Every time I log back in it says something like "that status of the user has changed" and sends me back to the main menu.

I don't get this....

The first part with the snow mountains looked fantastic, nothing looked rough, all looked crisp. Now i am in Syria and damn does the foliage (outside before you go inside) look rough, it looks very very grainy here. It distracts the hell out of the experience. I have only seen this part on Youtube and there it looked quite clean actually, but Youtube has a way to mask aliasing and rough looking things.

It surely can't be my TV which is a LG OLED. I checked it out with different picture settings on the TV and it makes little difference. Fallout 4 looked fantastic on this earlier today with these settings and again...the snow part in Tomb Raider looked superb. Is it supposed to have a rough/grainy look in the exterior parts of the Syria chapter?
Are you forreal? I think that part looks damn good more impressive than the snow

JayB1920

Goddamn....then i honestly don't get why it really looks so rough here. The foliage really stands out but overall there seems to be some grainy filter look going on here...da hell.

It needs a temporal anti aliasing technique implemented. What ever they are using is not doing a good job of covering foliage.

JayB1920

That's gotta be it, cause i tried out GTA V, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Halo 5 and so on..and they all look fine.

It gets really shimmery in the soviet hub with all the thin tree branches. PC version should clean up very well when it comes out. Add in some higher res contact hardening soft shadows, higher quality ssao, better texture filtering and and good AA and it will be a stunning looking game on pc.

Somnia

Well I just hit a game breaking glitch after 15+ hours of playing. I'm going to put in spoiler tag, but I won't actually spoil anything other than some peoples names, just want to be safe in this thread.

I'm on the Cathedral mission, I hear Ana talking to her troops as I work my way up. I get to the marker for where I'm suppose to go and nothing is there, no people nada. So I walk back and it then loads the cut scene, but no floor under Ana. The next scene happens where I'm suppose to shoot the generators hanging, as soon as I do the game glitches and has Lara just hanging there with no rope, nothing, she floats into the wall.

I've tried reloading, rebooting the xbox, using the backup save feature and nothing works it happens every time. I'm going to try copying back to the internal drive, though I'm 99.9% sure that won't work since I think my save's are glitched.

AKA: I'm fucked and have to start over after 15+ hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydZQtdHfKs

Video of my game breaking glitch, does have 1 cutscene.

Damn this game looks good.
6RqazgW.jpg

I hope this manages to sell well even with everything going against it. Can't even imagine how much the timed exclusive deal hurts the sales, but I hope people are still interested when it comes out on PC and PS4.

Syriel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydZQtdHfKs

Video of my game breaking glitch, does have 1 cutscene.

Odd. That scene played out normally for me.

The only thing that you did different was at the very beginning of the clip. Instead of walking forward towards the area where the person talking is at, you reversed course and walked out the door you came in. That resulted in the first death in a part of the level that had already been cleared before the cutscene triggered.

I wonder if that set a state that didn't clear properly at it looks like even the cutscene didn't render properly if you look at the floor.

I agree. Amazing art direction and atmosphere. I haven't reached this tomb yet, How was it? Just got stuck on the House of the Afflicted. Took me 20 minutes to see a small part of it lol.
I definitely remember what you mean from that tomb, the smallest thing makes all the difference in those challenges. The one I showed is surprisingly simple, took me about 2 minutes but it certainly looks nice.

It gets really shimmery in the soviet hub with all the thin tree branches. PC version should clean up very well when it comes out. Add in some higher res contact hardening soft shadows, higher quality ssao, better texture filtering and and good AA and it will be a stunning looking game on pc.

It's a shame though, maybe it differs per tv, but so far only the very first part with the snow looked damn clean, i see aliasing and rough stuff everywhere now. And the 360 version already seems to look so good compared to X1 version, so why couldn't they implement proper AA in this?

Somnia

Odd. That scene played out normally for me.

The only thing that you did different was at the very beginning of the clip. Instead of walking forward towards the area where the person talking is at, you reversed course and walked out the door you came in. That resulted in the first death in a part of the level that had already been cleared before the cutscene triggered.

I wonder if that set a state that didn't clear properly at it looks like even the cutscene didn't render properly if you look at the floor.

The first time I did it, it did the same thing. It didn't trigger the cut scene, it just let me walk out into the room. So I think my saved got corrupted or something.

Can you not play previous chapters again? I like that in some games how you can select the already finished chapters and play them again, Halo 5 has this. Not in ROTTR?

D23

I have to stop every 30 minutes or so to just enjoy the scenery, the game looks soooooo good, i believe this is the best looking next-game that i played so far. yes i played Ryse but i prefer the look of this, maybe because this is 1080P?

I have to stop every 30 minutes or so to just enjoy the scenery, the game looks soooooo good, i believe this is the best looking next-game that i played so far. yes i played Ryse but i prefer the look of this, maybe because this is 1080P?

Really? Nah not for me man. Ryse remains Xbox One's best looking game. Clean image, while at 900p. Crisp picture, little aliasing. Overall just damn good looking. It doesn't nearly have the freedom of ROTTR though. But ROTTR clearly looks rougher than Ryse to me.

Dominator

If I pretty much run through the story (saving a complete run for when the PS4 version drops), what percentage will I be at on the menu? I'm at 22% right now, barely collecting much except scrap and trees, etc.

Glass

Are there lots of parts where you're on your own exploring and just solving puzzles? Combat looks fun, but I want it to break up the game rather then be the main part.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Are there lots of parts where you're on your own exploring and just solving puzzles? Combat looks fun, but I want it to break up the game rather then be the main part.

I've only hit the second hub, but I can say so far that I've done more exploration than I have combat. YMMV though if you decide to mainline the quests.

hawk2025

Exploration, absolutely. It's light on puzzles, but still a marked improvement over TR2013.

Raven77

So I picked this up but haven't opened it yet. I had a few questions:

- I loved Uncharted 2 (1 was okay, 3 not so much). I liked it because of the story and exploration / survival vibe it had. Is this similar?

- I like exploration, etc. in these types of games, not so much combat. Can anyone who is pretty far in the game comment on the amount of exploration vs combat?

I'm excited to play it but worry it won't be what I'm expecting and hoping it is which would be a 70% exploration 30% combat experience with at least a pretty good story.

U2NUMB

It was a good hour plus before I even had to shoot at someone.. I used my pistol for a few puzzles .. but thats it. Combat did pick up but I get the feeling the game will have some very good portions where you get to explore.

Zeta Oni

OT is in much need of some gifs it seems

Especially since screenshots don't do RotTR any justice IMO

Here are some from my current place in the game:

pGSEpg2.gif

FbBKUOK.gif

zmJPgPs.gif

hawk2025

It was a good hour plus before I even had to shoot at someone.. I used my pistol for a few puzzles .. but thats it. Combat did pick up but I get the feeling the game will have some very good portions where you get to explore.

I feel like you can stealth the whole game up until the first encounter with armored enemies, which is maybe 3 hours in?

Syriel

Can you not play previous chapters again? I like that in some games how you can select the already finished chapters and play them again, Halo 5 has this. Not in ROTTR?

There aren't really "chapters" in RotTR like there are in Halo 5. There are environments.

Aside from the first two levels (the intro level and the Syria level), everything is connected and you can fast travel between camps at will. There is a point of no return at the end of the game, but the game warns you about it before you move past it. After you complete the game, there is post-game play back in the world, to finish up whatever you missed.

Individual story segments can be replayed in the expeditions mode.

If I pretty much run through the story (saving a complete run for when the PS4 version drops), what percentage will I be at on the menu? I'm at 22% right now, barely collecting much except scrap and trees, etc.

I would guess around 50-55% for story content. A more accurate guide may be the base camps. I finished the game with 36 camps available.

That is the majority of the game. Combat is a secondary thing in RotTR. The only time it really becomes a major thing is in the final battle. Otherwise, it's there, but it isn't the focus.

Glass

I've only hit the second hub, but I can say so far that I've done more exploration than I have combat. YMMV though if you decide to mainline the quests.

Exploration, absolutely. It's light on puzzles, but still a marked improvement over TR2013.

That is the majority of the game. Combat is a secondary thing in RotTR. The only time it really becomes a major thing is in the final battle. Otherwise, it's there, but it isn't the focus.

Thanks all, this sounds right up my street. Still have fond memories of the very first Tomb Raider and how far you'd descend into these ancient areas making you feel like the first person to be in those places for thousands of years, it was this amazing isolation.
That's basically what I'm hoping to experience!

Somnia

God I REALLY want to play this still, but the glitch has broken my will for now. I just do not want to completely restart. I'm going to move on to Fallout 4 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate and come back later.

hawk2025

Thanks all, this sounds right up my street. Still have fond memories of the very first Tomb Raider and how far you'd descend into these ancient areas making you feel like the first person to be in those places for thousands of years, it was this amazing isolation.
That's basically what I'm hoping to experience!

Weeeell. I don't know about that. It kind of starts that way, but the environments become more... populated, even if you are not necessarily fighting, and it doesn't feel ancient for a lot of it.

(You should still totally give it a shot, though)

ODDI

OT is in much need of some gifs it seems

Especially since screenshots don't do RotTR any justice IMO

Here are some from my current place in the game:

pGSEpg2.gif

FbBKUOK.gif

zmJPgPs.gif

Good stuff I should pick up this game over weekend, I enjoyed the first this one looks ways better.

So I picked this up but haven't opened it yet. I had a few questions:

- I loved Uncharted 2 (1 was okay, 3 not so much). I liked it because of the story and exploration / survival vibe it had. Is this similar?

- I like exploration, etc. in these types of games, not so much combat. Can anyone who is pretty far in the game comment on the amount of exploration vs combat?

I'm excited to play it but worry it won't be what I'm expecting and hoping it is which would be a 70% exploration 30% combat experience with at least a pretty good story.

Having just finished the UC Collection, I can give you my opinion.

I loved Uncharted 2 (1 was okay, 3 not so much). I liked it because of the story and exploration / survival vibe it had. Is this similar?

No it's not similar, it's better. UC has linear exploration. It's pretty much on rails. Tomb Raider has hubs that you can take time away from the story and explore. UC has no concept of exploration except when it requires minor puzzle solving to move forward. Speaking of survival, you feel as though you have to survive. She shimmers when she is cold, she looks for material to build weapons...TR is just better.

I like exploration, etc. in these types of games, not so much combat. Can anyone who is pretty far in the game comment on the amount of exploration vs combat?

As I stated above, there's a lot of exploration. When you finish an area, you can fast travel back to gather collectables. You have caves, tombs and crypts to explore. The ladder provides enough exploration. No only that, you have buried treasure as well as documents to gather. It's really good.

My explanation does not mean that UC is not good, I just don't think it's better than TR. Honestly, I think they are very different games.

I hope this manages to sell well even with everything going against it. Can't even imagine how much the timed exclusive deal hurts the sales, but I hope people are still interested when it comes out on PC and PS4.

I can't imagine people are going to be lining up to pay $60 for a year old game on PS4, honestly. Especially since it'll probably be marked down on XBOX One at that point.

Very interested to see what PS4 sales are like next fall. I'd much prefer to play it on that platform but I also want to play it now, so I just picked up a copy for my X1. Can't wait to get started!

Raven77

Having just finished the UC Collection, I can give you my opinion.

I loved Uncharted 2 (1 was okay, 3 not so much). I liked it because of the story and exploration / survival vibe it had. Is this similar?

No it's not similar, it's better. UC had linear exploration. It's pretty much on rails. Tomb Raider has hubs that you can take time away from the story and explore. UC has no concept of exploration except when it requires minor puzzle solving to move forward. Speaking of survival, you feel as though you have to survive. She shimmers when she is cold, she looks for material to build weapons...TR is just better.

I like exploration, etc. in these types of games, not so much combat. Can anyone who is pretty far in the game comment on the amount of exploration vs combat?

As I stated above, there's a lot of exploration. When you finish an area, you can fast travel back to gather collectables. You have caves, tombs and crypts to explore. The ladder provides enough exploration. No only that, you have buried treasure as well as documents to gather. It's really good.

My explanation does not mean that UC is not good, I just don't think it's better than TR. Honestly, I think they are very different games.

Thanks for the great info. I definitely will be opening this when I get home. Yeah the Uncharted games are not huge on exploration. I guess I meant more of the amount of non-combat stuff it presents you with. Definitely different games from the sound of it.

Zeta Oni

oh fuuuu

Rise of tomb rider is banned in saudi arabia....that's really strange

https://twitter.com/Xbox_Saudi/status/664517092620836864

some people say because she opened a tomb for someone
this is....really stupid

it's just a game

I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked your link, but it seems my Arabic skill isn't high enough to translate.

Im gonna go look at a few paintings and some ancient pottery, then try again.

L.O.R.D

I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked your link, but it seems my Arabic skill isn't high enough to translate.

Im gonna go look at a few paintings and some ancient pottery, then try again.

this is the official Xbox account in saudi arabia , someone said to him if the game is banned because he cant' find it in stores , and they replied yes

Thanks for the great info. I definitely will be opening this when I get home. Yeah the Uncharted games are not huge on exploration. I guess I meant more of the amount of non-combat stuff it presents you with. Definitely different games from the sound of it.

NP, I didn't touch on story. From what I can tell, it seems to be good. I am still early in the game. I made it to the first hub and started exploring and side questing and left the main story alone. I have about 10 hours in the game. I can't remember what percentage I am at. I think 29% or so. I explore a lot.

Zeta Oni

this is the official Xbox account in saudi arabia , someone said to him if the game is banned because he cant' find it in stores , and they replied yes

Oh I wasnt looking for a direct translation, it was a joke related to Tomb Raider.

However, now i am interested into what exactly is causing the ban? The tutorial tomb takes place in Syria, but as far as I know said tomb doesn't have anything that might be deemed as religiously offensive?

Unless the actual act of disturbing a tomb is an issue, I could see that.

L.O.R.D

Oh I wasnt looking for a direct translation, it was a joke related to Tomb Raider.

However, now i am interested into what exactly is causing the ban? The tutorial tomb takes place in Syria, but as far as I know said tomb doesn't have anything that might be deemed as religiously offensive?

Unless the actual act of disturbing a tomb is an issue, I could see that.

i also want to know what the real cause
just 2 days ago they were promoting the game , now they are telling people it's banned ?

Got the game as part of the B2G1F Target deal. Will eventually get to it, but Fallout 4 is first!

Im the other way around, I know I will take my time with FO so Im starting TR first, not going to rush through or anything but will finish much faster then FO, I play one game at a time unlike most.

Top Bottom