• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

FbBKUOK.gif

I really like the sense of scale in this one. The mountains and trees and everything look truly immense.

Pimpbaa

Really? Nah not for me man. Ryse remains Xbox One's best looking game. Clean image, while at 900p. Crisp picture, little aliasing. Overall just damn good looking. It doesn't nearly have the freedom of ROTTR though. But ROTTR clearly looks rougher than Ryse to me.

Ryse is in no way a crisp looking game. It's blurry just like every other 900p game.

JayB1920

Damn this auto headshot skill with the bow is broken. I figured it would only work during stealth but you can get headshot after headshot without even aiming lol. Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is the soundtrack. I find it quite to be quite a bit more memorable and cinematic than the Reboots.

papo

Im the other way around, I know I will take my time with FO so Im starting TR first, not going to rush through or anything but will finish much faster then FO, I play one game at a time unlike most.

Oh not at all. I'm not rushing it. I didn't get Fallout 4 from the deal, got it before. But that deal was just too sweet to pass. Batman( rip my PC version), Mad Max and Tomb Raider.

So far I'm digging this. Everything seems to fall apart under your feet for dramatic purposes, and its like they removed a third of the combat arenas from the first game and replaced them with even more crates to find and smash open, but I love the way this one starts. Feels like a Tomb Raider game, and has that sense of age and isolation that was missing before. Platforming is riskier too by a few degrees, and you'll probably fall to your death more than a few times before realizing whats automatic and what is less so.

Like the Ubisoft games, disabling all the hud elements possible helps a great deal. Instead of chasing the next objective marker or collectible I take the time to understand the space I'm in and explore for goodies and tactical advantages.

The game is also gorgeous, runs well, and feels well thought out. My only gripes are inconsistent platforming in the environment (why can't I climb this short wall, but I can climb that similar looking one over there?), way too many crates and resources to collect, audio logs that you can only listen to while in the menu, and hidden collectibles that once found don't reward you with anything but markers on your minimap with locations to find other resources (which is useless when disabling the HUD and survivor vision as I am), and probably the biggest issue, a strict separation between areas where you have combat, and areas with interesting platforming and exploration - I have yet to see those two experiences intertwine, which feels like a missed opportunity.

So far so good.

FrsDvl

I think I'm over half way through now, and this game is absolutely amazing! Except for the fact that Survivor difficulty is really not that hard. Feels like I'm playing on medium difficulty if anything.

s-bojan

Banned
How long is the game ? Can we get a good 10+ hours from it ?

Spent 11 hours so far, I think that I still have at least 2 until the end + a few tombs that I did not clear yet (skipped several side missions too).
Game is really good. I did experience a few glitches though :)

ezgif-3663656533.gif

Finished it. Took me about 12 hours for the main story. I didn't do a lot of collecting, optional tombs, or side missions though. Saving those for the PC version that I'm definitely getting day one.

The final two hours of this game put most action games to shame. I was blown the fuck away. The action is just insane. The game has shot up into my top 3 for the year. If you've got an Xbox One, play this game because it's the best Xbox One exclusive, IMO. If you don't have an Xbox One, I kinda feel for you because you should be experiencing this game right now.

Now to see what that Fallout 4 thing is all about.

TripOpt55

Really enjoying this so far. The second (?) major hub
Geothermal Valley
is awesome. Just a ton of fun to explore. This new series isn't my ideal Tomb Raider, but Rise is such a huge improvement over the reboot. Everything is better. That includes the adventure elements (platforming/puzzles/exploration) that were especially lacking in the reboot. Still wish there were more puzzles, but I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

CHC

Christ those gifs. I really don't even give a shit about the game itself at this point, I just want to get it for the eye candy alone.

Either way, does this concensus on this seem to be that's an Uncharted 1 -> 2 quality leap?

Christ those gifs. I really don't even give a shit about the game itself at this point, I just want to get it for the eye candy alone.

Either way, does this concensus on this seem to be that's an Uncharted 1 -> 2 quality leap?
Personally, no, because the gameplay from the first one was already fine, unlike Uncharyed - here's quite a gulf in pretty much everything barring story between Uncharted 1 and 2. ROTTR meanwhile just expands on TR2013. In terms of gameplay and scope, I said a few pages back that it's like the Asylum -> City jump, and I still stand by that. :)

CHC

Personally, no, because the gameplay from the first one was already fine, unlike Uncharyed - here's quite a gulf in pretty much everything barring story between Uncharted 1 and 2. ROTTR meanwhile just expands on TR2013. In terms of gameplay and scope, I said a few pages back that it's like the Asylum -> City jump, and I still stand by that. :)

Sounds cool then. Either way sounds like an improvement. I liked the first game enough, but the characters and environments were fairly bland. This looks like it improves at least one of those elements. Graphics and core gameplay were both very good in 2013.

It's possible, I guess. That may be what it refers to, but it's not one of the secret/greyed out achievements. It's just sitting there with, "Find the Best Seat in the House" and "Dive into a Well."

I'm curious as to what it is.

If I did post a spoiler, I sincerely apologize.

JayB1920

I'm at the Flooded Archives now. Now this feels like a proper TR level. Huge, multiple levels, rooms, hallways, traps, a puzzle that spans multiple areas and a lot to explore.

Romir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydZQtdHfKs

Video of my game breaking glitch, does have 1 cutscene.

This exact same sequence just happened to me.

I walked into the Cathedral and walked around it more than you did. I didn't see where to go so I pushed the right thumbstick and went where it highlighted. I also fell to my death there after being confused by the glitched view and not realizing that's where I came in from. After that I got the cutscene and keep getting stuck like you did.

Screenshot looking out at the glitched world (no spoilers).
http://i.imgur.com/NJhlGSH.jpg
Screenshot of being stuck hanging (no spoilers).
http://i.imgur.com/ucCgpJC.jpg

I bought an xbox for this too...

This exact same sequence just happened to me.

I walked into the Cathedral and walked around it more than you did. I didn't see where to go so I pushed the right thumbstick and went where it highlighted. I also fell to my death there after being confused by the glitched view and not realizing that's where I came in from. After that I got the cutscene and keep getting stuck like you did.

Screenshot looking out at the glitched world (no spoilers).
http://i.imgur.com/NJhlGSH.jpg
Screenshot of being stuck hanging (no spoilers).
http://i.imgur.com/ucCgpJC.jpg

I bought an xbox for this too...

Wow, right near the end too :(. Sorry to hear that.

Ugh. Sad PS4 player right here.

Probably gonna end up picking up an Xbox for this.

Dude the system freaking has great games. Why would you be sad?
Its the very reason we buy systems,because of their game lineups.
Just enjoy man.

Finally headed home after a long day.
If my roomate is playing my Tomb Raider file he's gonna get an ass kicking. Ha!

Finished it. Took me about 12 hours for the main story. I didn't do a lot of collecting, optional tombs, or side missions though. Saving those for the PC version that I'm definitely getting day one.

12 hours with little collecting? I'm trying to stretch this out as long as possible before starting Fallout. Hope the late stages of the game dont turn into hoarde mode.

Man I wish I had an XB1 to play this right now, going to be a long wait for the PS4 version.

Game looks fantastic though and I'm happy it's scored well and most people seem to be enjoying it. Reboot was brilliant.

Quick question. Are there many set pieces in the game and do they set a new standard for action games? Sort of how the train / helicopter / sinking ship / plane segments did in the Uncharted games? I love those linear cinematic moments when they are used right in these sorts of games but I felt the reboot didn't really hit the mark there aside from the exploding temple sequence.

zsynqx

I am so bad at not spoiling myself and watched a bit of later game footage. Looks like you get some really cool traversal tools later on. I wish I cared about fallout as I need something to distract me from wanting to play this. :(

hawk2025

31% in, just reached
Geothermal Valley

I just can't do the collectible thing anymore. There is WAY too much stuff, everywhere. Around every corner, every nook, every room, all the time. I hit X more than any other button up to this point. Too many journals, audio logs, knick knacks, relics, lockers to crack, safes to picklock, resources, posters, bottles, everything.

It's actively hindering my enjoyment of the game because it slows everything down to a crawl! I'm just going to ignore collectibles and missions and only get things that are directly in front of me. Time to turn off every prompt the game lets me and never use Survival Instinct again.

I dunno, I really like the game so far. But coupled with the awkward and stilted combat controls (very much a surprise coming from the blissful and super-tight prequel), I don't think this game stands up to TR2013 yet, despite improving so much elsewhere. We'll see once I explore the new area more!

I have to say, I'm honestly surprised more people aren't bummed by the controls and the combat scenarios. The major, major thing that was a consensus across the board from TR2013 was the great fun that was shooting the bow and all the different combat scenarios. Here... the stealth and environment takedowns are greatly improved, but everything else is such a big step down...

Man I wish I had an XB1 to play this right now, going to be a long wait for the PS4 version.

Game looks fantastic though and I'm happy it's scored well and most people seem to be enjoying it. Reboot was brilliant.

Quick question. Are there many set pieces in the game and do they set a new standard for action games? Sort of how the train / helicopter / sinking ship / plane segments did in the Uncharted games? I love those linear cinematic moments when they are used right in these sorts of games but I felt the reboot didn't really hit the mark there aside from the exploding temple sequence.
It doesn't set a new standard (up to this point), but CD has absolutely improved by leaps and bounds on the setpiece moments. There are some truly great bits even 1/3 of the way in, I can only imagine what else is coming up. And they look SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL.

I agree 100% with you, by the way. I loved TR2013 in spite of the cinematic-super-linear-setpieces that didn't work there. Here, they work great and are awesome to see.

There is SO much to collect in this game, it's freaking crazy and I love how they're doing collectibles in the game and how you learn languages/skills through exploring.

Absolutely loving it so far.

TheYanger

Game is fucking great, tutorial aspects are a bit long, but not AS handholdy and annoying as most games so it wasn't too bad. Once I got into the first hub I just kind of went off, played about 5 hours and then needed a break.

It doesn't set a new standard (up to this point), but CD has absolutely improved by leaps and bounds on the setpiece moments. There are some truly great bits even 1/3 of the way in, I can only imagine what else is coming up. And they look SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL.

I agree 100% with you, by the way. I loved TR2013 in spite of the cinematic-super-linear-setpieces that didn't work there. Here, they work great and are awesome to see.

Thanks. Sounds amazing. I'm going to have to resist picking up an XB1, as I don't have the gaming time to justify it but man, Tomb Raider is one of my fave game series and this latest entry just sounds incredible. Enjoy!

Genio88

Just finished the game, 18 hours and 74% completition, i guess that % takes count of tombs and side missions too. What to say, game it is simply awesome, stunning graphics and animations, some time it looks like a CG movie, great gameplay and smooth shooting, with big areas to explore, tombs to solve, side missions, collectibles and of course the linear and good main story. I loved the 2013 reboot, this one is that but pretty improved in every aspect, and of course as videos, gifs and screens already proved, it has the best modeled and animated female character ever seen in video game, her face, her eyes, her ass..ets, just gorgeous. Definitely a GOTY nominee.
I'd like to 100% it but i still have the new COD and Fallout 4 waiting for me on PC, and AC Syndicate coming soon too, so i guess i'm done with it and it was a real pleasure.

Top Bottom