• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Noobcraft

Presumably the first hour or so of the game isn't indicative of the rest of the game? It's pretty much a strictly linear affair, whereas the previous title had a more semi open, sandboxy emphasis. Guessing after base camp, RotTR follows a similar approach?

Graphics are stunning. Love some of the vistas, textures, lighting and shaders. Though a few of the animations are a bit hit and miss.

On a side note, more than any input lag, I think another issue is the massive deadzone. You can literally spin small circles with the sticks without them registering any movement at all. Are any of you are getting this same issue?
It opens up once you get to Siberia and beyond.

Alienfan

Presumably the first hour or so of the game isn't indicative of the rest of the game? It's pretty much a strictly linear affair, whereas the previous title had a more semi open, sandboxy emphasis. Guessing after base camp, RotTR follows a similar approach?

You are very close to finding out that answer :p But RotTR has a much larger emphasis on the open world/sandboxy elements than the first game did!

ZQQLANDER

Ran into the first frustrating part of the game. I'm on the difficulty below survivor and the part where you
fight a bunch of armored soldiers by swimming between several openings in the ice
was annoying to say the least. The enemies are borderline omniscient.

At 70% completion and I feel like I'm almost to the end. Still a very high quality game overall.

KingV

Beat this yesterday and something funny about the end.

after you fight the main Trinity Dude (Ana's brother), he is sitting on the ground waiting for you to come finish him off.

I believe the game wants you to go up and use an execution move on him, but for whatever reason, in my game there was an empty can nearby, like the ones you use to make makeshift grenades. Well, I picked it up and tossed it at him and he let out an excruciating death yell, triggering the ending.

Lara must have thrown that empty can hard as hell.

I finished this at 93%. It's a nice game but overall I have to say I liked the first one better. The extra tombs were nice, truly, but I was looking for more effort in the area of gear, and I feel they really drop the ball there. I wanted a moment like when you first get the rope arrows in the first game, wherein it feels like a huge paradigm shift and suddenly new paths you didn't even recognize open up. There's nothing like that here. Just more ways to climb, essentially.

I really hope they make some more of these and in the third one really change the gear that you work towards.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Man, all this time I thought once I got
flammable arrows
that I'd be able to burn those thick, thorny bushes that block cave entrances.

26924a.gif

TheKeyPit

Banned
Small spoiler regarding the part with encountering greek fire:

There were a lot of burned guys on a path and one of them was still alive and suffering. You could walk past him and nothing would happen, but I aimed my gun at his head with the intention to stop him suffering. He immediately said something like "please do it". I like small details like this one.

d00d3n

How does regeneration of animals/enemies work? Is it tied to story progression? I managed to take out all the deer and rabbits in the first open area, which seems to be consistent when I go back with fast travel from the second open area in the game. On the other hand, the wolves in the second open area have respawned several times despite killing 2/3 wolves in dens. Are wolves a special case where you get infinite respawns unless you kill the entire den (3/3) at once?

By the way, does the Bear in the first open area respawn eventually? I need those pelts for crafting ...

Alienfan

http://xboxclips.com/T0MBraider/a2a1293e-43be-496f-9095-b579bf2ba0e8

I see a ton of posts praising (deservedly so) the exceptional art work and graphical fidelity - but very few mention just how great the sound design is. The amazing sound work in this area had me pacing up and down for around 5 minutes. Something about transitioning from a small stream, to a cascade, and to a giant water fall (with the detailed ambient sound in the background) really did it for my ears :p. Helps to have a good pair of head phones too; this game is an audio treat!

dreamfall

I just finished 100%-ing the Story portion, and it was absolutely fantastic. The larger hubs are such amazing playgrounds to collect and explore, it just was completely peaceful looking for relics and documents, hunting animals and crafting all types of great additions for the weapons.

The tombs were really wonderful- I want more of those. And the hearty selection of outfits was also greatly appreciated, I want more of those too! I loved every second of it. The story brought enough intrigue that it kept me much better involved than the reboot.

It's right up there with my games of the year, absolutely. I think Crystal Dynamics really should be proud of evoking a better sense of what Tomb Raider has always been about- there's still too much combat for my liking but fighting animals, swan diving, and exploring to even find an entrance of a tomb made me so happy. Bravo, CD, bravo!

d00d3n

What should I get early from the supply shack? The rifle + grenade launcher to blow up all those wood gates? Or can the shotgun do this? Is the rope climber just a convenience, or does it open up treasure? The silencer for the pistol is unnecessary considering how powerful the bow is?

The tool that opens up weapon upgrades is really expensive and seems to come into play much later in the game (when you can actually access the final tier of weapon upgrades), right? No point in saving up for it early?

Alienous

I didn't play the Tomb Raider reboot, but I'm about 30% through this (I imagine much further into the story), enjoying it and I just happened upon some footage of Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition - gosh, these games seem similar. It's all novel to me but I'm wondering what the impressions of this are from people who played the prior game.

Shinigami

I didn't play the Tomb Raider reboot, but I'm about 30% through this (I imagine much further into the story), enjoying it and I just happened upon some footage of Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition - gosh, these games seem similar. It's all novel to me but I'm wondering what the impressions of this are from people who played the prior game.

I played the previous game, and yes they are similar, but this game opened up a TON from the sandbox elements of the previous game. NPCs, side quests, more things to do in the areas, and overall better design, IMO. Rise is a better sequel in pretty much every way, at least to the point where I am in the story.

Sydle

RotTR is more of the same recipe, but seems bigger, more varied, and more polished to me. The pacing and variety seem much better to me, but the first game is still great.

If you are enjoying this one a lot you should definitely play the 2013 game.

sam777

What should I get early from the supply shack? The rifle + grenade launcher to blow up all those wood gates? Or can the shotgun do this? Is the rope climber just a convenience, or does it open up treasure? The silencer for the pistol is unnecessary considering how powerful the bow is?

The tool that opens up weapon upgrades is really expensive and seems to come into play much later in the game (when you can actually access the final tier of weapon upgrades), right? No point in saving up for it early?

Shotgun can blow them wooden gates. I am near the end and have bought nothing from that shack.

Alienous

RotTR is more of the same recipe, but seems bigger, more varied, and more polished to me. The pacing and variety seem much better to me, but the first game is still great.

If you are enjoying this one a lot you should definitely play the 2013 game.

That's the thing. If they are really so similar I feel like I've screwed myself out of enjoying that one to the fullest. It'd probably be a step down in the areas where it isn't the same.

hawk2025

In retrospect, having done them all, I don't think NPCs and sidequests added, well, anything to the game. If anything, it compromised the sense of isolation and adventure.

The few sidequests there are could immediately be reworked as Challenges. In fact, they are completely interchangeable.

To the above: I dont think you have at all. TR2013 is significantly more combat-focused.

dreamfall

After playing the reboot and then the DE, and as a long time Tomb Raider fan, it was really difficult to accept the changes. The game felt so focused on brutal combat, and the puzzles felt like a simplistic afterthought. The writing was horrendous- but appreciating that the developers wanted to tell a new story of an inexperienced adventurer made it slightly more forgivable. The side characters were so one-dimensional and predictable. The reason I make note of this is because the open exploration felt restricted to much smaller arenas, and for a game that focused so heavily on the story, it failed (to me).

I think what the team really built on though is really solid. The hubs this time around just feel so much more alive, so much more open. Weapon upgrades, and skills are much the same but crafting and collecting resources allows for a more personal playthough with the tools you want. The challenges and collectibles make me happy, it allows for an appreciation of the environment that the devs created in ways that I might not have. Tombs that actually take some thought to progress through, swimming, and really well designed environments that force you to utilize your gear also make the game much more interesting.

I went in expecting much of the same. The waves of combat don't do it many favors, but the ability to use stealth makes the encounters feel more dynamic. I think a lot of heart when into the game- they respected more tenets of the TR franchise, and I can't wait to see how they continue to improve.

Sydle

That's the thing. If they are really so similar I feel like I've screwed myself out of enjoying that one to the fullest. It'd probably be a step down in the areas where it isn't the same.

The sequel is notably better in every way, but I still highly recommend the original. Maybe you should give yourself some time before playing it so the sequel is not fresh on your mind.

Alienous

After playing the reboot and then the DE, and as a long time Tomb Raider fan, it was really difficult to accept the changes. The game felt so focused on brutal combat, and the puzzles felt like a simplistic afterthought. The writing was horrendous- but appreciating that the developers wanted to tell a new story of an inexperienced adventurer made it slightly more forgivable. The side characters were so one-dimensional and predictable. The reason I make note of this is because the open exploration felt restricted to much smaller arenas, and for a game that focused so heavily on the story, it failed (to me).

I think what the team really built on though is really solid. The hubs this time around just feel so much more alive, so much more open. Weapon upgrades, and skills are much the same but crafting and collecting resources allows for a more personal playthough with the tools you want. The challenges and collectibles make me happy, it allows for an appreciation of the environment that the devs created in ways that I might not have. Tombs that actually take some thought to progress through, swimming, and really well designed environments that force you to utilize your gear also make the game much more interesting.

I went in expecting much of the same. The waves of combat don't do it many favors, but the ability to use stealth makes the encounters feel more dynamic. I think a lot of heart when into the game- they respected more tenets of the TR franchise, and I can't wait to see how they continue to improve.

Hmm, perhaps this was a good way to experience the rebooted series first. It seems a lot of my favourite parts of ROTR were absent or weaker in the 2013 game. Things like the semi-open world nature, and the puzzles that are tangential to the main experience.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

The sequel is notably better in every way, but I still highly recommend the original. Maybe you should give yourself some time before playing it so the sequel is not fresh on your mind.

Good call. I think I'll do exactly that.

Am I missing a button press or remembering incorrectly?
I thought the last Tomb Raider there was some sort of time slow down when using the bow.
I also unlocked shooting two arrows at once hours ago but haven't done it once.

I'm kind of bummed that they removed the whole gradual damage to Lara and her clothing in this game. I really like it when games do that (Arkham series does it as well). By the end of TR 2013 Lara really looked like she had been through a major ordeal. Here it feels like they keep resetting it and the increase of different outfit types means that they don't suffer any damage (or at least they haven't as of 30% or so mark in the game).

Hmm, perhaps this was a good way to experience the rebooted series first. It seems a lot of my favourite parts of ROTR were absent or weaker in the 2013 game. Things like the semi-open world nature, and the puzzles that are tangential to the main experience.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've only done the first hub in RotTR but I kind of like the visual design and geography of the hubs in TR 13 better (though they were clearly smaller). That actually goes for a lot of the art design in RotTR in general- it's a gorgeous game but the aesthetic feels very familiar and safe- it looks more like something out of TR: Legend, Underworld or even the Uncharted series. In contrast I really enjoyed the look of the island in 2013- it felt actively hostile and unique.

Again just done the first major hub so I'm hoping it changes up a bit as I progress.

Squire

Banned
So I'm trying to craft
the tactical gear
and you need 35 cloth for it, but I can only hold up to 30. Anyone know how to upgrade storage capacity for that?

Also any tips for getting technical parts? I need 15 of those, only have 3 lol

Edit: NVM found it

dreamfall

Damn, I think my achievements are bugged. Everything was working fine up until collecting everything - went back to dive in the well, shoot a bottle out of air and nada. Anyone have this issue?

d00d3n

I agree with most of your post, but "waves of combat" seem really rare as far as I have played (just reached G
eothermal
V
alley
). There have been just two "wave of combat" encounters (squeeze through gate episode in G
ulag
and a mini-encounter in one of the rooms in A
bandoned
M
ines
), and two "shooting galleries" that force combat (episode after electric water puzzle in G
ulag
and the fire episode in the C
opper
M
ines
. The encounters that you can tackle with stealth are much more common and have not had waves of combat in my experience. Or are they transformed into "wave of combat" encounters if you are detected?

Neil_J_UK

Damn, I think my achievements are bugged. Everything was working fine up until collecting everything - went back to dive in the well, shoot a bottle out of air and nada. Anyone have this issue?

Have you actually checked your achievement list? About half of my achievements for this game didn't pop when I met the requirements, even though they instantly said I completed them when I checked my achievement app.

Alienfan

End game spoiler!!
Did anyone else feel weirdly sympathetic towards the antagonists by the end of the game? Anna was a terrible human being, but at the same time I would imagine many of us would have done the same in her dying shoes. As for her brother, he was really only doing it all for her. The moral ambiguity angle this game took with it's villains was a vast improvement over mathias in the original game (who lacked any motives and may as well have been twirling his mustache for the entire game)

sam777

Have you actually checked your achievement list? About half of my achievements for this game didn't pop when I met the requirements, even though they instantly said I completed them when I checked my achievement app.

Same. Sometimes they pop late though.

LUXURY

I'm just at the beginning of the Geothermal Valley and still have a few collectibles left in Soviet Installation that I can't get to. Is there another area that opens up? One is a survivor cache and explorer satchel. The satchel looks pretty much off the map like I haven't been to that area yet.

I'm just at the beginning of the Geothermal Valley and still have a few collectibles left in Soviet Installation that I can't get to. Is there another area that opens up? One is a survivor cache and explorer satchel. The satchel looks pretty much off the map like I haven't been to that area yet.

I'm in the same boat, I still haven't gotten any explosives yet and not sure if I missed something or what.

Also, do bears and mountain lions respawn? Not, haven't seen a mountain since I killed the first one. Is there also a way we can get more of those coins?

Top Bottom