• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Teggy

End game spoiler!!
Did anyone else feel weirdly sympathetic towards the antagonists by the end of the game? Anna was a terrible human being, but at the same time I would imagine many of us would have done the same in her dying shoes. As for her brother, he was really only doing it all for her. The moral ambiguity angle this game took with it's villains was a vast improvement over mathias in the original game (who lacked any motives and may as well have been twirling his mustache for the entire game)

Well, the guy's entire life was a lie, so it's hard not to feel a little bad for him. I still want to know how exactly his sister cut his hands open without him waking up, though.

LUXURY

I'm in the same boat, I still haven't gotten any explosives yet and not sure if I missed something or what.

Also, do bears and mountain lions respawn? Not, haven't seen a mountain since I killed the first one. Is there also a way we can get more of those coins?

I'm not sure if those types of game respawn. I've only seen one of each so far. The mountain lion when I first arrived at Soviet Installation and the bear was a scripted event.

dreamfall

So the art book came in today, the outfits listed in the Lara section look pretty neat. Maybe DLC?
NwRdCYo.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Speaking of DLC, a new outfit "Siberian Ranger" just came out today.

No idea if it's free with the season pass because it still won't work. ;_;

dreamfall

Speaking of DLC, a new outfit "Siberian Ranger" just came out today.

No idea if it's free with the season pass because it still won't work. ;_;

It's weird right? Like I can click on it in the outfit selection, and it looks like I need cloth to craft it. Is the DLC based around actually acquiring in-game material to unlock it vs. just paying for it straight up? Because that would be neat.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's weird right? Like I can click on it in the outfit selection, and it looks like I need cloth to craft it. Is the DLC based around actually acquiring in-game material to unlock it vs. just paying for it straight up? Because that would be neat.

Yup! I just checked to see if that were the case and you can indeed craft it yourself in the main game.

So that's pretty neat that you can buy it straight, or develop it yourself. Nice CD.

Montresor

I asked this before but I had not gotten an answer. I just reached Geothermal Caves and I just wanted to make sure:

So to avoid any and all game-breaking glitches I just have to do the following right?

1) Make sure I always have pistol ammo (because this one QTE near the end requires you to have pistol ammo)

2) Avoid the optional tomb guarded by the bear in Geothermal Caves, until you earn the Rebreather.

Toa TAK

Banned
I asked this before but I had not gotten an answer. I just reached Geothermal Caves and I just wanted to make sure:

So to avoid any and all game-breaking glitches I just have to do the following right?

1) Make sure I always have pistol ammo (because this one QTE near the end requires you to have pistol ammo)

2) Avoid the optional tomb guarded by the bear in Geothermal Caves, until you earn the Rebreather.
#1 yes, but don't worry about #2, the game will let you know that you can't pass without it.

Man this game has just been balls to the wall amazing since the (second hub spoilers)
attack on the Remnant village

But now I'm worried the game is going by too fast, just got to
the first hinted appearance of the guardian things
. Hope I'm not too close to the end!

GReeeeN

so it seems im stuck... or glitched, anyone that has finished the game please gimme a hand if possible

I'm upto the part where you're climbing the tower with the greek guys, and at the last jump, one of the warriors grabs your legs and the prompt to pull out your gun happens, although nothing happens when i try to shoot... am i out of bullets?, am i doing something wrong?, im spamming every button on the controller and nothing is happening

This game is sooooo good it's got me off fallout. My Mrs is totally loving it too but man, they just nailed the collectibles. I'm getting everything. Scouring every area. The graphics are insane, I can't imagine this on pc. Great great game. Will remember it for years. I just know it.

leng jai

so it seems im stuck... or glitched, anyone that has finished the game please gimme a hand if possible

I'm upto the part where you're climbing the tower with the greek guys, and at the last jump, one of the warriors grabs your legs and the prompt to pull out your gun happens, although nothing happens when i try to shoot... am i out of bullets?, am i doing something wrong?, im spamming every button on the controller and nothing is happening

I think if you go into that bit with no pistol ammo you're screwed. I remember reloading an earlier checkpoint to get past it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm missing a few coin caches from some areas. I'm very close to the end of the game I think. I found every relic, mural, etc from those areas and the coin caches were still not added to the map.

Research Base and Flooded Archives. Does anyone know what I have to do to get the coin caches on the map?

8bit

Knows the Score
Finished it last night, overall good stuff but the combat was getting a bit tiresome. (I loved underwater murdering assassin Lara near the end though) A shame it's not getting a bigger audience right now, it deserves it.

Lima

I'm missing a few coin caches from some areas. I'm very close to the end of the game I think. I found every relic, mural, etc from those areas and the coin caches were still not added to the map.

Research Base and Flooded Archives. Does anyone know what I have to do to get the coin caches on the map?

Coin caches are added once you discover and can translate the monolith in the area.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm slowly getting to the end of the game.

Now that I've finished every tomb: What is everyones favorite tomb? I'm a bit disappointed with them. They were bigger than those in TR2013, but I thought they'd do more stuff similar to the
Orrery
near the end.

Novocaine

Beat the game yesterday. Got 85% but I don't feel the desire to stick with it and get the last chunk of collectibles.

I had a great time with it though, and when it's not such a busy gaming season I plan on running through again with a play through of DE beforehand.

Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it, and have been really craving a single player game like it for a while. Hopefully, the masses will support the game throughout the holiday and when it is eventually released on the other platforms. It would be a shame if people missed this out of some weird principle about exclusivity. Definitely one of the better games over the last couple of years.

Had the same problem. I copied my save to another spot (there is an option ingame) and loaded up this save. Now it worked without problems and without going back to an earlier save.

Finished the game yesterday and wow, what a ride. Top 5 of the year easily. It's better than the previous one in almost every aspect, i only miss the haunting atmosphere from TR 2013. I also found the game closer to the original Tomb Raiders.

I have to say that I am absolutely enjoying the hell out of this game. I put a few hours into the prior game and just couldn't get into it. But this one has clicked with me 100%.

My only major complaint is the combat, specifically the shooting. I think the combat encounters where stealth is doable, those are fun, the bow is fun, but the combat encounters where you are forced to fight and shoot are annoying. The aiming is a little loose and the guns just don't feel or sound beefy enough. Additionally, what the heck is up with all the grenades that enemies throw? I feel like they just spam them endlessly and I can't do anything but kill everyone really quickly. It's very strange and frustrating. Thankfully though there hasn't been tons of fighting (so much to collect and explore and climb!) so it's not a severe turnoff.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've finished the story and wrapped up everything else for the 100%. It took me ~42 hours for all of this. Now on to the Expedition Mode and 1000G :)

nib95

Banned
Overall I'm enjoying this game, just as I did the last. It's pretty much everything I expected, essentially more of the same, just prettier and a bit more diverse. I really enjoy the tombs as well, though I wish there were more of them. There's also tonnes to collect, which usually I dislike in open world games, but here it's not so much that you actually get bored doing it.

However, I cannot help but feel the aiming and general controls are really sloppy. Having just come off of playing several other shooters and third person shooters like Uncharted Collection, Battlefront, Halo 5 etc, this feels markedly worse. The aiming acceleration and movement is all off, twitchy and erratic. It goes from a gentle movements to big sweeping slogs in an instant, and when targeting certain animals and enemies, things get laughably bad. It's like aiming has to pass through treacle every now and again, and can't quite keep up with what you're telling it.

I also find the cover system cumbersome and imprecise. It's like Lara can't quite decide when she wants to be in cover or not. There should also be more cover options too, specifically snap shooting or peaking around corners and the like. Hell, even The Order 1886 has a better cover system, despite also being a dynamic one. Other games like Gears, LoU, MGSV and Uncharted cover systems are leagues ahead imo.

It's a shame, because the combat was already competent in the last game. If anything, this game is a regression in that respect, especially because of the aiming. I do not remember aiming and gunplay feeling so sluggish in the last game.

dreamfall

I've finished the story and wrapped up everything else for the 100%. It took me ~42 hours for all of this. Now on to the Expedition Mode and 1000G :)

You know after wrapping up collecting / doing all the challenges, I just can't get into Expedition mode. It's fun with visual gimmicks but cutting pieces of the story and placing them into subsections of levels to replay almost cheapens a lot of the story, especially because the cutscenes are still in there/skippable. I think they really wanted to convince people to hold onto their copies with something akin to asynchronous competitive multiplayer but it just feels off for me.

But I figure after 50+ hours maybe I'll just wander about, and wait for new outfits to craft as they come- pop in every now and then. The game is tremendous and definitely up there with my games of the year most certainly. Loved every piece of it, just wish maybe they created levels tailored to a score attack mode that didn't reuse bits and pieces from the Story mode. Even setting your own challenges I wasn't captivated by!

These games are just crying out for a New Game+ mode.

This would've been awesome. Would've loved replaying it with all these amazing upgrades and finishing maxing out all the skill trees! Do it in a later patch CD!

I think the issue with NG+ is that having some of the equipment would break some earlier areas, or at least you'd be able to get to areas that you weren't supposed to til late game. They could always just make you not have certain equipment but then that kind of breaks the purpose of NG+.

jelly

NG+ was first on the list for the sequel, disappointed they didn't do it again.

Have they acknowledged the controller latency problem and working on a fix ?

Toa TAK

Banned
So they fixed the Siberian Ranger/Season Pass malfunction. People who have the season pass should have the outfit available to download.

leng jai

Overall I'm enjoying this game, just as I did the last. It's pretty much everything I expected, essentially more of the same, just prettier and a bit more diverse. I really enjoy the tombs as well, though I wish there were more of them. There's also tonnes to collect, which usually I dislike in open world games, but here it's not so much that you actually get bored doing it.

However, I cannot help but feel the aiming and general controls are really sloppy. Having just come off of playing several other shooters and third person shooters like Uncharted Collection, Battlefront, Halo 5 etc, this feels markedly worse. The aiming acceleration and movement is all off, twitchy and erratic. It goes from a gentle movements to big sweeping slogs in an instant, and when targeting certain animals and enemies, things get laughably bad. It's like aiming has to pass through treacle every now and again, and can't quite keep up with what you're telling it.

I also find the cover system cumbersome and imprecise. It's like Lara can't quite decide when she wants to be in cover or not. There should also be more cover options too, specifically snap shooting or peaking around corners and the like. Hell, even The Order 1886 has a better cover system, despite also being a dynamic one. Other games like Gears, LoU, MGSV and Uncharted cover systems are leagues ahead imo.

It's a shame, because the combat was already competent in the last game. If anything, this game is a regression in that respect, especially because of the aiming. I do not remember aiming and gunplay feeling so sluggish in the last game.

It's been said many times in this thread - this game has terrible input lag. Fixing that alone would make the combat infinitely better.

dealer-

Started the game earlier, loving it so far. I'm playing without any beacons or tips but it keeps coming up every 5 seconds to press RS for survival instinct when I'm trying to figure out where to go. Any way to stop this?

Top Bottom