• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

I loved that bit. I needed more Psycho Lara from the first game, though.

Agreed. Those were my favorite parts from the first game and I would have liked more here.

Finished it today- amazing game. Very lengthy too- I kept thinking that I was getting close to the end but then a new scenario would pop up. Some of the stuff happening in the final bits was crazy- might have to look up some 360 footage to see how it could remotely keep up.

Did anyone else find some of the lore in the tombs vaguely unsettling?

The whole forced prayer thing plus implications that they were very harsh from any deviations from the scripture. And the exorcism stuff too- just made me feel like the Remnant weren't nearly as good as they were initially presented to be.

Also, this game has probably the best set of villains that I've seen in a game in a long, long time. That's a low bar, probably, considering that they seem to have been pretty lackluster recently but I really appreciated the effort put into providing them with characterization and motivation here.

I'm going to be so sad if the screwed up release pattern of this game torpedoes chances for future entries.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This was the one game I wanted and was hoping to find on the cheap for Xbox One and its not on sale ANYWHERE.

I shouldnt be too surprised since it was just released and they probably don't want to set a precedent of people expecting something released very close to black friday to be on sale.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it up at 87% completion with a 20:19 playtime. I did all the tombs, crypts and missions. Most of the remaining is just the challenges I didn't care about, caches and like 7 documents and 5 relics. Doubt I'll bother tracking any of that down.

I had a blast with the game. Major improvement upon the original in every way, and I like it more than any of the Uncharted games so far. I loved the setting, exploring for meaningful collectibles that fill in the story and help you get new skills and upgrade weapons, and really enjoyed the combat and traversal.

This will likely end up just behind Bloodborne in my GOTY list and makes me glad I took the plunge on an Xbox One last month. Already loving it with this, Halo 5, Rare Replay and GoW Remastered. I also grabbed Sunset Overderive cheap the other day.

Noobcraft

This was the one game I wanted and was hoping to find on the cheap for Xbox One and its not on sale ANYWHERE.

I shouldnt be too surprised since it was just released and they probably don't want to set a precedent of people expecting something released very close to black friday to be on sale.
There was the Jet.com sale for like $35 prior to BF.

Why is this a problem?

Can't play this game until somewhen Q1 2016 and you're seriously complaining about her SIZE? This is a joke, right?
Chill, it was a lighthearted post referencing the fact that yes, in game, she's pretty damn short.

Do you complain when people don't finish meals as people somewhere are starving?

Filben

Using the word "ridiculous" isn't that lighthearted in my opinion. If that's what he meant, OK!

Do you complain when people don't finish meals as people somewhere are starving?
Hell no, they will starve independently of me throwing my meal away or eating it. Never understood that statement anyway.

nib95

Banned
Why is this a problem?

Can't play this game until somewhen Q1 2016 and you're seriously complaining about her SIZE? This is a joke, right?

Not really. I mean, it's not a big issue, but it is weird. In cut scenes she's the right size, and level in height with some of the other female characters, but in gameplay she's much shorter. Suddenly the same character that in the cut scene was the same height as Lara a moment earlier, is much taller than her in actual gameplay.

Kama_1082

Banned
If I finish the story, will I miss out on the acheivement for finding and solving all the tombs? Or will I have to do it before the point of no return (if there is one)

If I finish the story, will I miss out on the acheivement for finding and solving all the tombs? Or will I have to do it before the point of no return (if there is one)
I don't think so and it notifies you quite clearly when you have reached the point of no return. But it's not really a point of no return, it's more a point of "now you have to finish the game but afterwards we'll dump you back in free mode"

Filben

I don't know what they've expected (probably way too much when I remember expectations for TR 2013). Yes, it's an exclusive but not like those ones people buying consoles for –like Halo, Uncharted, etc–. Plus it's only time exclusive making it not so exclusive. Lots of people will wait and don't head to the next store buying a XOne and TR.

And looking at those graphics I've seen here I prefer to wait for PC release either despite having a Xbox One.

nOoblet16

Why is this a problem?

Using the word "ridiculous" isn't that lighthearted in my opinion. If that's what he meant, OK!
Hell no, they will starve independently of me throwing my meal away or eating it. Never understood that statement anyway.
Uh ?? What has a Q1 2016 release got to do with absolutely anything? And those are my own screens that I took from my console cause you know..the game is out on Xbox.

Anyways Lara has often been depicted a relatively tall woman.
So it is ridiculous when she is tiniest character in the game and is so by a large margin, because of that and how the scaling and proportions are somewhat messed up this feels so forced that it is comical...and that is the very definition of the word ridiculous.

Filben

And those are my own screens that I took from my console
Didn't say anything different.

I'm just pissed at Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics due to this exclusive shit since I've been playing since TR1 on PS1 and PC. It feels like backstabbing treachery. This, so to speak, is my "bubble" of problems that cannot releate to yours with the size of an character. Hence, my rage induced remark.

nOoblet16

Didn't say anything different.

What was that Q1 2016 thing about then? Don't see the relevance of it being mentioned in a response to my post.

Edit:
I'm just pissed at Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics due to this exclusive shit since I've been playing since TR1 on PS1 and PC. It feels like backstabbing treachery. This, so to speak, is my "bubble" of problems that cannot releate to yours with the size of an character. Hence, my rage induced remark.
Uh..ok.

Just finished the game this morning, it was pretty great. Really glad they didn't repeat the mistake of the previous game and the story didn't fall apart towards the end.

Looking forward to the next one (this better sell enough to warrant a sequel or I'll cut someone) because I want to find out more about Trinity.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just finished.

the story was all over the place, so the ending was more of a wimper than a bang for me. But that said, it's clear the designers/programmers/artists over at Crystal Dynamics are ridiculously talented. So many good decisions throughout.

It's a shame it was so easy. I played on survivor, and the death-cloud arrows remained hilariously overpowered until the end of the game. Like, whole encounters were trivialised because a single arrow repeatedly look out >5 guys running in through the same bottleneck.

I can't wait to see what they do next. Much like when I finished Tomb Raider 2013, I still feel like they have a home-run in them that they haven't quite hit. This was closer, but still had some of the same weaknesses of 2013. I'd like they to reconsider the shadow-organisation narrative, but sadly I think that might be too far-gone at this point. :(

Duxxy3

It's between this and bloodborne for my game of the year.

I definitely liked this more than the first one. Not so QTE heavy. More varied gameplay, I loved creating bombs, molotovs and traps. I'll find more uses for them next playthrough.

Isurus

Just finished this last night. Loved the entire ride and it's probably my game of the year. Everything from gameplay to story just worked very well. Plus, the game is beautiful; I took a shit ton of screenshots throughout the game. I'm already looking forward to the next game.

watch to the end of the credits for a final cut scene with Lara and Ana

Alienous

Finished the game. Meh.

The polish seems to wear off near the end. Tons of combat encounters that just aren't fun. Plot-wise it's weak.

It's a weird, inconsistent game. I think the middle-most part of it was the best of it.

Myriadis

How is the amount of gunplay compared to the previous Tomb Raider game? Does she mow down hundreds of enemies again or is this much toned down? The excessive violence, especially in that abandoned city and the castle was a big turnoff for me.

D23

How is the amount of gunplay compared to the previous Tomb Raider game? Does she mow down hundreds of enemies again or is this much toned down? The excessive violence, especially in that abandoned city and the castle was a big turnoff for me.

Its definetely toned down. I'd say its 50-50 exploration and combat

EvB

I'd say that the combat was less important in this one, it' mostly stealth and a couple of guys at a time. It all gets busier towards the end and turns into full on murder

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope so because those numbers are piss poor.
I expect 800-900K for a first whole week of sales, it's an heavily marketed AAA release after all.
To my surprise I still continue to see ads for it from Microsoft, which likely means that MS wants it to be a long legs release.

x-Lundz-x

Either way it's good to give it a chance and put some ad revenue behind it. Maybe word of the mouth will help it sale.

The game is amazing and I'm really sad with the decisions made about this game, it's better than the first in every way.

Was I mad about the XB1 exclusive? Yes. However I still wanted to support the game and since I own both consoles I got it day one. Played it over fallout 4 and don't regret it at all.

If you have an XB1 and liked the first game you really need to give it a shot. To me the jump in quality is UC to UC2 level.

I just hope the PS4 release will have sales to make up for the poor decision making and we get a third game in the reboot series.

You kill a shitload of people but there aren't too many bits where you're forced into gun battles, most of the time you can use stealth to pick off enemies one by one or try and sneak past.

Actually, it might keep track of how many people you kill. Let me check the game hub and report back.

EDIT: 693 enemies killed in 34 hours of gameplay, which is just under 3 enemies killed a minute.

That's probably inflated a little because I died a lot during combat sequences (mostly my own fault and not the games tbh) and had to retry them a lot, as well as reloading checkpoints if I wasn't able to stay hidden. Honestly, the game didn't feel as though it was that combat heavy.

If you're on the fence about getting the game I'd definitely recommend it.

ZQQLANDER

Been playing offline, but now have internet.

Does the Day 1 patch download automatically? Seems like I need it to fix a bug I have with one of the missions.

Kezen

Banned
Either way it's good to give it a chance and put some ad revenue behind it. Maybe word of the mouth will help it sale.

I sure hope so, the game has been widely praised and deserves more sales.

I have to say I expected a much better start, with all the marketing Microsoft deployed.

kodecraft

It was obvious it was going to sell badly being an exclusive.

I don't think being exclusive has anything to do with sales. How many people own Xbox Ones? If millions then MS probably felt this is a must have game for all Xbox One owners and everyone should get it.

Lets not turn this into a sales thread boys!

Anyways, finished the game with 100% completion. Enjoyable and entertaining game, really had a lot of fun with this one. Thinking if I should go back and beat the game on Survivor (wish I chosen that to begin with) and collect the remaining achievements.

Certainly feel like I can just blow through survivor without picking up everything again, though I have other games I want to play through before the year is up. Decisions decisions.

Vire

Question, I just picked up the game but I feel like it's overwhelming me with the amount of collectible shit scattered everywhere and I have mild OCD. Can I go back at a later time and get these collectibles in these areas?

Noobcraft

Question, I just picked up the game but I feel like it's overwhelming me with the amount of collectible shit scattered everywhere and I have mild OCD. Can I go back at a later time and get these collectibles in these areas?
Yes. AFAIK there aren't any missable collectables.

hawk2025

Yes, nothing's missable.

You won't be able to "read" some totems if you don't level up your language, but that only leads to putting even more collectibles on the map, so nothing's lost there from your perspective.

Vire

Yes. AFAIK there aren't any missable collectables.

Yes, nothing's missable.

You won't be able to "read" some totems if you don't level up your language, but that only leads to putting even more collectibles on the map, so nothing's lost there from your perspective.
Cool. that's a relief. The game is great so far! Very much enjoying my time with it.

Lara is a serious badass.

malfcn

I think I've taken a week off this game. Need to get back on and finish. I feel like I am nearing the end. Got sucked into Halo MP.

Fletcher

I'm nearing the end of the game and I've been enjoying this game quite a bit more than the previous game. It feels like they toned down the out and out gun fights a bit.

Best looking game I've played on a console yet. Really glad I decided to pick this up and not wait on it.

Top Bottom