• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

TripOpt55

Has anyone found:

The best seat in the house
or
the funeral spot
?

Yeah I found them both randomly just exploring. Here are some vague location details:

Both are in Geothermal Valley. The funeral is around the path that runs up the left side from the bottom to the top of that big waterfall toward the top left of the Geothermal Valley area. If you follow that path up and look off to your right at some off shoots of that path you will see it happening. I found it while in the middle of the story. Not sure if it shows up at a certain time.

Best seat in the house is down towards the bottom of that area. Across from where you climb that tower to light the signal fire and get the fire arrows, there are some stone structures. On one of them is a chair that will give you an X prompt to sit down in it.

Hard to explain the locations, but hopefully that helps.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping for at least 500K sold for November so while it's not what it should be considering the quality of the game, 300K in the first week isn't bad all things considered. Hopefully, it will surpass the 1M mark before December.

PS4 owner here, waiting patiently (and jealously) for my time with the game...

But had a question for you lucky folks who are enjoying the game:

Did they expand/improve upon the tombs from the previous game? Did they listen to the criticism there and really go all out in making them feel like epic, explorable locations in and of themselves?

hawk2025

Did they expand/improve upon the tombs from the previous game? Did they listen to the criticism there and really go all out in making them feel like epic, explorable locations in and of themselves?

They are not really explorable per se, but they are much, much better than the first game.
More complex and more "epic" locations in the tombs, but not really about exploration (the main hubs are, though).

Overall a giant improvement over 2013's tombs.

jackdoe

They are not really explorable per se, but they are much, much better than the first game.
More complex and more "epic" locations in the tombs, but not really about exploration (the main hubs are, though).

Overall a giant improvement over 2013's tombs.
I agree. They're better overall. However, they're still very easy to complete. And one of the tombs was a straight up rehash of one of the tombs from the 2013 reboot, only done worse.

Sydle

How do I get back in the Soviet Installation area where
Lara zip lined in off a water tower and got caught on the backside of the building, the part where she got tied up in a chair
. There are three documents in there that I missed and I can't get in through the train yard and the rope from the water tower is gone. Am I fucked?

Swordian

How do I get back in the Soviet Installation area where
Lara zip lined in off a water tower and got caught on the backside of the building, the part where she got tied up in a chair
. There are three documents in there that I missed and I can't get in through the train yard and the rope from the water tower is gone. Am I fucked?

Fast travel.

Here's the thing- there is a lot more actual tomb-type stuff in the main game (ie ancient ruins) this time out. So while the side tombs are boosted (more in terms of quality and rewards, they are still quite short) there is just generally a much more consistent feeling about discovering ruins of the past this time throughout the entire story.

Fast travel.

It does bug me that the only way to return to certain previous areas is Fast Travel. That really shouldn't be required.

Myriadis

I'd say that the combat was less important in this one, it' mostly stealth and a couple of guys at a time. It all gets busier towards the end and turns into full on murder

Its definetely toned down. I'd say its 50-50 exploration and combat

You kill a shitload of people but there aren't too many bits where you're forced into gun battles, most of the time you can use stealth to pick off enemies one by one or try and sneak past.

Actually, it might keep track of how many people you kill. Let me check the game hub and report back.

EDIT: 693 enemies killed in 34 hours of gameplay, which is just under 3 enemies killed a minute.

That's probably inflated a little because I died a lot during combat sequences (mostly my own fault and not the games tbh) and had to retry them a lot, as well as reloading checkpoints if I wasn't able to stay hidden. Honestly, the game didn't feel as though it was that combat heavy.

If you're on the fence about getting the game I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the answers. It will take a little time until I can play this (only PC/WiiU-Combo) but that sounds indeed better.

Ricker

The 300K number is Chartz nonsense, so probably best to wait for NPD first to reach any conclusions.

By the time its out on PC and PS4 next year,the game will have sold 5 million copies I am sure...not only is it a Tomb Raider/Lara Croft game,it's fucking awesome and even a great game to ''let's play" on Twitch and what not...yeah it was dumb to release it on the same day has F4 but I am not worried about the franchise.

Watched my nephew play it yesterday morning,he came over to try my new X1 since he only has a PS4,he loved it...got to where I was in 3 hours to my 6 hours lol,but since he just wanted to get as far as possible,he didnt try and grab all the extra stuff on all the small area's...it's cool that you have 3 save slots if you want to start a new game.

One Tomb has me stuck a bit last I played...

Ducayne

There's no camp in there, or I missed it the first time through there and now I can't access it. The camps on either side have dead ends in its direction, unless I'm just overlooking it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

Are you talking about the top of the mill that catches fire? I have a cache up at the top that I can't seem to get through as the fire escape sequence through the mill blocked the rest of the path. How did your back up there?

PensOwl

Banned
Going back and collectible hunting, its kinda annoying that some of the rope ziplines stay and others disappear.

Also if anyone beat the game on an easier difficulty and wants to get the survivor achievement, all you have to do is replay the last level on survivor. Super easy if you load up on some strong cards.

Going back and collectible hunting, its kinda annoying that some of the rope ziplines stay and others disappear.

Also if anyone beat the game on an easier difficulty and wants to get the survivor achievement, all you have to do is replay the last level on survivor. Super easy if you load up on some strong cards.

Really?

Looks like I might be doing this tonight. I thought I would have to go through the entire.

Toa TAK

Banned

Hot damn that's cheap. But no ill will here. Go for it peeps.

dreamfall

Definitely just tried this with unlimited poison arrows- which was hilarious because even on Survivor, it was easier than playing it on Normal. The Achievement popped after the cutscene!

Skilletor

Are the number of secret tombs I've completed at all related to the progress in the game?

Completed 5/9 so far and pretty disappointed on the whole.

Sydle

Are you talking about the top of the mill that catches fire? I have a cache up at the top that I can't seem to get through as the fire escape sequence through the mill blocked the rest of the path. How did your back up there?

No, I was talking about the prison. I had a lingering moment of dumb and didn't think to turn in a very obvious direction as a way back in there.

I haven't even thought about the mill. I hope I didn't miss anything up there.

x-Lundz-x

Survivor was a cakewalk though, it was crazy easy. Still cool for those that want to take it easy :)

Fanuilos

Just finished up the story, and I'm happy with how the game turned out. I decided to put Fallout 4 on hold to finish this up first. The puzzles weren't necessarily hard, but there did seem to be a lot of more of them and some took me a second to realize what was going on. I liked that the bow was so versatile for various situations. It was almost to the point that I never used any other weapon. Nice setup for a sequel too without making the story in ROTR seem pointless.

Hastati

Just finished up the story, and I'm happy with how the game turned out. I decided to put Fallout 4 on hold to finish this up first. The puzzles weren't necessarily hard, but there did seem to be a lot of more of them and some took me a second to realize what was going on. I liked that the bow was so versatile for various situations. It was almost to the point that I never used any other weapon. Nice setup for a sequel too without making the story in ROTR seem pointless.

Really glad to hear this. I love bows, and want to use them whenever possible.

I did the opposite, have sunk about 60 hours into FO4 and both my character and I are thoroughly irradiated, so very tempted to pick this up. Also tempted to play it with a Japanese dub XD

TripOpt55

Played through this a second time. What a game. Will actually try and get into my unfinished games now, but man I loved this one.

Kyonashi

YYmuB6n.gif

I haven't started this yet, but quick question for those that have. Does this game have any of the spooky / gory elements of the first game? I had some Descent vibes playing the first one and enjoyed that.

Skilletor

I finished the first game using bows 95% of the time. This game is the same. Poison arrow is so strong.

I've actually had a harder time with encounters when I try and use a gun.

DirtyLarry

Anyone else just shoot rats respawning to level up an entire Experience Point?

It took me about 15 minutes give or take, but there was a part by
the basecamp in the area where you have to get the explosive barrels to blow up the support beams on the bottom of a big statue
that the rats just kept spawning and spawning right to the left of the basecamp. I just sat there shooting rats for about 15 minutes and got 1 Experience Point for doing so.

Has been a long time since I have done something like that.

Top Bottom