• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

So i went into the first case in the Soviet Installation part, the cave you can enter right after that zipline from the campfire. I feel i have explored this cave completely, but it still shows the star icon (Into Darkness)as bright white. Does that mean i haven't completed it yet?

I found a mural there, crypt treasure and a document. But if it's completed, shouldn't the icon be more greyed out?

Teggy

So i went into the first case in the Soviet Installation part, the cave you can enter right after that zipline from the campfire. I feel i have explored this cave completely, but it still shows the star icon (Into Darkness)as bright white. Does that mean i haven't completed it yet?

I found a mural there, crypt treasure and a document. But if it's completed, shouldn't the icon be more greyed out?

Into darkness requires you visit 5 caves, no?

Into darkness requires you visit 5 caves, no?

Yeah i've done them all now, but it still shows the icon bright. On Reddit i heard there can be glitches when it comes to that, so who knows.

That being said, i've now completed the optional Ancient Cistern tomb and while it was short , it was also sweet. It wasn't too challenging but it definitely was fun, i like the stuff with the explosive cans and all that. So far i have been exploring a lot and looting and creating and simply...well...already loving it.

While i can't deny that the aliasing can make the overall picture sometimes look unnecessarily ugly, inside caves and tombs it looks fantastic. The aliasing isn't terrible everywhere though, it only seems to be at a few places.

By the way, i want to make the new costume, Siberian Ranger or something it was i believe, but it requires skins from what seems to be warthogs but also two other things. Is there a way to find out what these materials are? I want to get some more costumes, kinda growing slightly tired of the red jacket now. :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay I'm up to where you're about to defend a village. I crafted the Siberian ranger outfit and it is easily the coolest one. I also have 9 brawler, 11 hunter, and 6 survivor skills. XP bonuses chosen ASAP helped quite a lot. She's definitely totally badass now; True shot is some Legolas level shit.

I am kinda disappointed they are going crazy with the grenade spam midway into the game again. I get that they don't want you to just sit still, but literally having a constant stream of grenades is just obnoxious. Where do they even get them? They never run out, but then I can never loot them off their bodies. :p With some of these "Lara is a moron and runs into 20 guys" scenes they seem to want to force you into making your own, but that is tricky to do and then aim when there is constantly a grenade next to you. And usually wasting time doing that means a couple dudes are running in on you anyway, so instead of fucking with explosives it's better to just go ham with your assault rifle until they're all dead.

Aside from that, I guess no complaints except you can add me to the list of people who want to be able to take off the rifle suppressor. It's nice to have for utility if I want (tho I mostly did the mission for XP) but when I'm shooting an AK I want it to go bang bang.

legbone

Heads up for anyone that is reading this thread and hasn't bought the game yet:

I picked this up at Wal-Mart tonight. It was priced at 59.99 but rang up as 39.99. Not sure if it's on sale or if it was a screw up, but my Wal-Mart never screws up in my favor. So YMMV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the game, have 100% on all areas of the map, but the world map is showing 99% complete - is there something I'm missing?

Also I have four skill slots still to unlock, and I'd like to get my pump action shotgun fully upgraded which I need 2 more technical parts for. Which bonfires have respawning enemies I can use to farm XP and parts?

I think once I've filled out the skills tree and upgrade one of each of my weapons to 100% I'll be done with the game.

Edit: doh, missed Syria. Right off the bottom of the map, really easy to miss. 100% complete now.

Is every single DLC outfit gonna give you the option to grind material for? Cuz that would be great instead of having to buy them.

Sacra Umbra and Huntress are the best though.

Dice

I am playing this way too much.

Returning to last place now after the atlas thing.
Trinity stole my boyfriend! Oh no you don't!
I think I'll get the military rifle and save the refinement tool for later. I've settled into what my "action style" is since the game so often forces you out of stealth style, and I'm basically a god now so I'm not too worried about perfecting my weapons so much as having fun with different types.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some of the achievements are a bit silly. There is one for 15 encounters after completing the game, but there are barely any areas with enemies. I end up just fast travelling back and forth to the Siberian mining area because there is usually one group to fight. And another two are about having lots of cards. So I just spent all my money (very slowly) buying 5 basic cards at a time. Those two achievements actively discourage you from buying the rarer cards.

Also the huntress achievement got stuck - killed 50 animals, shows as 100% but isn't unlocking.

Also the huntress achievement got stuck - killed 50 animals, shows as 100% but isn't unlocking.

When it shows 100% but still has a lock symbol it seems like it's usually a Live issue. Happened to me with Fallout recently, and it ulocked two days later while playing The Crew.

Dice

Legit marathoned the fuck out of it to the end, including much exploration and just messing around. Great credits song. Also I was legit spamming death cloud arrows the whole ending level. 8 guys in a doorway? Get fucked! 3 guys in the corner spamming grenades while I'm busy fighting other dudes? Get fucked! Wearing armor? Get fucked! My death clouds will end you all. Basically switched between that shotgun since people get in your face so much. I had a few times to use the assault rifle but I don't feel like it was much. Was it supposed to be a surprise that
the baddies were brother & sister? It's what I thought right away. Also it's weird to have this centuries long fight between trinity and anyone hiding the source, then suddenly the whole thing is all over, but "Trinity is still out there"? Uh, okay. I guess they'll figure out other evily stuff to do?

My main complaint is definitely the dodge being weird as fuck this time around. I literally just played through TR 2013 the week before this and I didn't have a problem dodging and countering in that one, but in this it kept not starting the counter slomo thing, so then she just scrambled a bit and got whomped so much when they'd have a follow-up swing, especially since the camera is basically just manual control in that circumstance. It's so weird because they do swing their arm and she does perfectly evade it just in the nick of time, but it doesn't do the special thing. It's like I have to mind read them and dodge before they even throw their tell to activate it, but then that results in a lot of preemptive dodging and getting hit in the face. When it did happen, I also didn't activate my kills very often even though I got the button press. She would just hit them but not kill them proper and sometimes not even leave them open for a follow-up strike. The whole thing just made me miss RE6 QTE attacks so I decided to just shotgun everyone who got in my face when attempts to do cool stuff failed a hundred times.

TheYanger

Legit marathoned the fuck out of it to the end, including much exploration and just messing around. Great credits song. Also I was legit spamming death cloud arrows the whole ending level. 8 guys in a doorway? Get fucked! 3 guys in the corner spamming grenades while I'm busy fighting other dudes? Get fucked! Wearing armor? Get fucked! My death clouds will end you all. Basically switched between that shotgun since people get in your face so much. I had a few times to use the assault rifle but I don't feel like it was much. Was it supposed to be a surprise that
the baddies were brother & sister? It's what I thought right away. Also it's weird to have this centuries long fight between trinity and anyone hiding the source, then suddenly the whole thing is all over, but "Trinity is still out there"? Uh, okay. I guess they'll figure out other evily stuff to do?

My main complaint is definitely the dodge being weird as fuck this time around. I literally just played through TR 2013 the week before this and I didn't have a problem dodging and countering in that one, but in this it kept not starting the counter slomo thing, so then she just scrambled a bit and got whomped so much when they'd have a follow-up swing, especially since the camera is basically just manual control in that circumstance. It's so weird because they do swing their arm and she does perfectly evade it just in the nick of time, but it doesn't do the special thing. It's like I have to mind read them and dodge before they even throw their tell to activate it, but then that results in a lot of preemptive dodging and getting hit in the face. When it did happen, I also didn't activate my kills very often even though I got the button press. She would just hit them but not kill them proper and sometimes not even leave them open for a follow-up strike. The whole thing just made me miss RE6 QTE attacks so I decided to just shotgun everyone who got in my face when attempts to do cool stuff failed a hundred times.

Your spoiler is revealed literally the first time they interact, so I think you missed something if you didn't know it from pretty early on. No, it wasn't a twist later on in any way.

The dodge counter thing I felt as well, in the first game it was trivial to dodge counter every enemy, in this the timing on it felt a lot tighter. Like, in 2013 you could already be dodging and if any enemy did a melee swing while you were mid-scramble remotely near you you'd get the popup, in this you actually have to DODGE an incoming blow to get the counter to show up. Small difference but it feels massive in reality, I got the counter early on and probably only dodge counter killed like two dozen guys in the entire game out of the 500 some I fought.

Dice

I don't think it's that. It's straight busted. I dodge like a god in God Hand, Bayonetta, RE6, fighting games, etc. Games where you need precision perfection in dodging. This game just doesn't understand the concept or something. Theory crafting as to why it blows ass so much but randomly occurs, I wonder: Is it that they expect you to be standing perfectly still and then just press B with no direction input? Because I would definitely be moving all over the place because it was usually 4 guys at once while also being shot at from more guys 30 feet out and grenades. If it's not sophisticated enough to know what's what in the middle of action, they need to overhaul their system. It's seriously way behind other 3rd person action games in this counter system.

I've been able to do it only on the little platforms that look like small ramps. I run, jump, and then press and hold LT.

Can get it to work every time on those. No success otherwise.

i am watching a guide for the challenge for them...I cant get it to work though. I am on the ramp. Quite annoying because I have to climb up this mountain over and over again to get back to it lol. Back to trying

RoKKeR

So I just
defended the Remnant from Trinity and am headed to the cathedral to find the Atlas.

How far along am I? Absolutely in love with this game, don't want it to end.

Is it on PS4 yet?

hnfMByo.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question for combat: how do you target three enemies at same time? I have the perk but am clueless on what it is i am supposed to be doing

I finally 100%ed the game and I only managed that a couple of times by accident. I think you just aim at the first guy,nand it'll give you that diamond mark on his head, then as long as the next guy isn't too far away, just keep hiding and aim over him and you should get two (or three) markers. Then release.

If I try and do it deliberately I usually fail. The times it has worked I'd not move the aim and just let the enemy walk through my crosshairs.

Man i am not really digging this as much as the first game. Dont know why either. Maybe an emphasis over puzzle and action over exploration perhaps?

Game is great, dont want to take a ything away from it. Just prefer the first and hoping the last act ends soon (just got atlas).

Question for combat: how do you target three enemies at same time? I have the perk but am clueless on what it is i am supposed to be doing

I finally 100%ed the game and I only managed that a couple of times by accident. I think you just aim at the first guy,nand it'll give you that diamond mark on his head, then as long as the next guy isn't too far away, just keep hiding and aim over him and you should get two (or three) markers. Then release.

If I try and do it deliberately I usually fail. The times it has worked I'd not move the aim and just let the enemy walk through my crosshairs.

All you have to do is toggle the zoom-in and place the crosshair over the enemy to get a lock-on. To get multiple targets the enemies have to be in your sight. They can't stray off otherwise you'll lose the kill. If you master it the rest of the game becomes easy mode.

TheYanger

Man i am not really digging this as much as the first game. Dont know why either. Maybe an emphasis over puzzle and action over exploration perhaps?

Game is great, dont want to take a ything away from it. Just prefer the first and hoping the last act ends soon (just got atlas).

Confused, this game has an emphasis on puzzles and exploration, the first game had the emphasis on action. And as the poster above said - you have to zoom in with your bow then it will automatically diamond targets you aim over, as long as all 3 are in the same camera shot you can do it.

Arklite

Wasn't TR a lot more lively? It's strange

Very different. A lot more platforms, a lot more drama about Lara, angry classic TR fans, "junk food" games, Uncharted comparisons, the works. This game has a lot less of the surprise and on less platforms. Also drowned out by Fallout.

Dice

I would have posted a lot more but:
1) I didn't want to mess with spoiler warning much.
2) I was enthralled and didn't really take breaks.

But yeah, all the design drama is over with and there isn't even platform/generational comparing to do. Maybe I'll analyze my feelings about everything and write it out, but as for the playthrough I was enjoying myself and liking almost everything as a pretty good improvement on the first.

Seriously....how the fuck can this exotic animal, seems to be a puma still live after i have used lots of poison arrows, normal arrows, fucking explosives and so on? This truly is just getting ridiculous and annoying.

TheYanger

that doesnt seem to be working, unless I have to do it several times to make it work.

I honestly thought the time of day/weather in each area was set when you initially go there, I could be wrong, but certainly once you're past the story significance of a zone it's just random when you load in. You're talking about the chickens in Geothermal yeah? I get random day/night/weather every time I load in, but there aren't that many states (night/day, rain or clear) so it's entirely possible it could take several tries.

I honestly thought the time of day/weather in each area was set when you initially go there, I could be wrong, but certainly once you're past the story significance of a zone it's just random when you load in. You're talking about the chickens in Geothermal yeah? I get random day/night/weather every time I load in, but there aren't that many states (night/day, rain or clear) so it's entirely possible it could take several tries.

yeah, there is a challenge for throwing them into this one pen. I might need to progress in the story. Its always night, regardless of how many times I fast travel out and back

naitosan

is there a way to change the time of day? Need some chickens, but they apparently dont spawn at night

Fast Travel to Geothermal near where quest giver NPC asks you to explore numbers of tombs, there should be plenty of chickens spawn non stop.

Edit: Ruins Encampment base camp is where it's at, in Geothermal Valley.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fast Travel to Geothermal near where quest giver NPC asks you to explore numbers of tombs, there should be plenty of chickens spawn non stop.

Edit: Ruins Encampment base camp is where it's at, in Geothermal Valley.

yeah but for that challenge you have to throw them into a pen right up the top of the valley near the other bonfire. Basically impossible using the bonfire near the ruins. I did it pretty much as soon as I arrived in the valley so it is possible you're stuck in a night setting due to story? I know now I've finished it is random weather and time of day each time I visit (I've been going there a lot to hunt to grind weapon upgrades and XP to fill out the skill tree)

Best way to find those coins to be able to buy stuff?

Oh and a sidemission,for a guy i must clear out the wolf den so he can go there. But i don't see this mission in my list and i wonder if it's now glitched or something.

naitosan

yeah but for that challenge you have to throw them into a pen right up the top of the valley near the other bonfire. Basically impossible using the bonfire near the ruins. I did it pretty much as soon as I arrived in the valley so it is possible you're stuck in a night setting due to story? I know now I've finished it is random weather and time of day each time I visit (I've been going there a lot to hunt to grind weapon upgrades and XP to fill out the skill tree)

Oh I misread that. Yeah better do during daytime or do that after you complete some chapters. It should go back to daytime when you get back. I ended up doing it after end game.

There's only really one way, find the murals to decode and those put them on your map. They start giving very high amounts as you get farther.

Ok good, cause i really need to buy a grenade launcher or shotgun for this goddamn puma. What a fucking horribly annoying piece of shit that exotic animal is. I just want to exlore tbat tomb, damn animal.

eshwaaz

I'm at about 25% complete and really enjoying it, but good God that little "squeak" sound that Lara's gear makes every few seconds when you run is driving me insane. At first I thought it was something in my basement making that chirp, but when I realized it was actually in-game it now stabs my eardrums every time it plays.

I'm at about 25% complete and really enjoying it, but good God that little "squeak" sound that Lara's gear makes every few seconds when you run is driving me insane. At first I thought it was something in my basement making that chirp, but when I realized it was actually in-game it now stabs my eardrums every time it plays.

Hmmm...can't say i have noticed it. And i have been playing with headphones on all evening. I also run a lot. :)

I'll check tomorrow.

Top Bottom