• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is there a point of no return? I have some tombs left to do and just got to the secret underground entrance after the jacob/jonah scene
Now is the best time to get done what you want to get done. The actual point of no return isn't until before the last encounter, and it tells you that it is the point of no return. However, after you go into that place the fighting ramps up a ton so it's best to get your upgrades now so you get more than one fight of use out of them.

TripOpt55

I'm at about 25% complete and really enjoying it, but good God that little "squeak" sound that Lara's gear makes every few seconds when you run is driving me insane. At first I thought it was something in my basement making that chirp, but when I realized it was actually in-game it now stabs my eardrums every time it plays.

I heard this as well. It was driving me crazy. I didn't hear anyone mention it before this. Thought maybe I was just crazy already... haha.

Escapist

Banned
I've been a huge fan of this series. Played and enjoyed all the classic games but I'm probably a minority as I genuinely love the direction of the newer ones too. Just really happy to see this series alive and all the attention it has been getting. Really never thought I would see Tomb Raider and GOTY in the same sentence. I read a lot here how this game is not really a system seller but to be honest I was tempted to buy the Xbox just to play it. I decided to wait for the PS4 version....but goddamn browsing through this thread made it much harder.

Sydle

100% complete after 41 hours. Some of the challenges were tough to complete in those large areas.

It's an amazing game and I'm really looking forward to the DLC.

Megasoum

Banned
And I just finished the game. Loved it... Tons of fun.

Realy proud that this is one of the last game I worked on before leaving Square-Enix. I never actually had the chance to play it before release.

Trojan

I'm watching the GiantBomb quick look for the first time now and DAMN this game looks amazing. I've got enough of a backlog already so not sure I need to pickup an X1 for this, but I hope this game starts picking up steam sales-wise to support the devs. I was impressed.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finished the game, loved it, one of the best games of the year, and I've played almost all of them (on console, anyway).

How many of you went back and got the achievements and extra stuff, and did you enjoy it? Trying to decide whether to strike while the amber is hot and trade this in now, or try to %100 it. I loved it, just so many damn games to play.

The first didn't really hook me but really enjoying this one so far. Also being able to plug in my controller to my Xbox one and play anywhere my makes it even better.

Really enjoyed it, apart from the last section.

I fell foul to a massive game breaking bug just near the end and had to back track an hour or so after trying to work around it.

make sure your pistol has bullets before climbing the tower in katetch when the glacier opens up and the chopper appears. If you have no ammo left a cut scene occurs where you'll never, ever be able to beat it as you'll keep dying. You have to have pistol ammo

Tak3n

Banned
Loving every minute of this game, are there any more tombs than what is in the main 2 areas, I have done 12 or 8 if I recall...

my only gripe about the tombs is the same page on the book and the same prize, would of been cool if the end of each tomb was something different to collect

Alfredo

I just got the game and so far I'm really enjoying it... But the fact that suspend/resume doesn't work irks me to no end. Hopefully they fix it soon. I've been spoiled by the feature.

I don't know how I feel about Trinity being the big bad of this reboot. I get the series needs some over-arching evil organization to explain half of Lara's reason for wanting to discover all of the world's powerful secrets but Trinity comes off as some corny Illuminati type villains. I enjoy the story when it's focused more on the supernatural affecting the world around them.

Friction

Superb game. Loving it soo much. Especially how theyve expanded visually gearing her up up until the end. Really felt she was ready to handle anything by the end of it. I really dont think uncharted can possible top the SP.

ZeroX03

Banned
Spent the entire weekend playing this, loving every moment. I honestly cannot believe how gorgeous the game looks. Some moments I just stop and admire the scenery, top notch visuals.

eshwaaz

I just found out that weapon suppressors cannot be removed. If I'd known that, I would've avoided the side mission that awards the suppressor for rifles. The bow is for stealth; with everything else I want it loud! What an odd design choice.

Sydle

Finished the game, loved it, one of the best games of the year, and I've played almost all of them (on console, anyway).

How many of you went back and got the achievements and extra stuff, and did you enjoy it? Trying to decide whether to strike while the amber is hot and trade this in now, or try to %100 it. I loved it, just so many damn games to play.

I did all of it before I finished it, but I was enjoying the game a lot so I was happy to keep playing. It could add on a lot of hours, so don't do it unless you'll be happy to explore and backtrack a lot as you try to find everything.

Dice

I've done most of the stuff before finishing the story, but I'm torn about whether to keep the game or not. It seems like one of those games where you can go back and play it over when you've kind of forgotten some stuff and it's still really nice, like a Zelda game or something. And I mean it's super pretty, so just revisiting the locations could be worth it, and I could do so with the challenge mode, which I haven't touched. Then again, the industry is moving so fucking fast! Maybe I should just go ahead and leave games I've finished in the past and keep rolling with it.

Dice

Oh, right. Since the franchise reboot proved itself, they gave this one full funding for nice DLC. I guess I'll keep it. ;)

Hopefully they patch in suppressor removal.

ghibli99

100%'d this last week. Great game, and definitely up there as a GOTY contender. It's exactly what I wanted in the sequel, and can't wait for part 3. :)

Will double-dip when the eventual GOTY version comes out on PC.

The Flash

Banned
Only a handful of hours in but this game has already met my expectations. More of the same but better which is exactly what I wanted. The game is gorgeous too. Can't wait to see how it looks on the platforms.

Have finished two optional tombs now, the first one was Ancient Cistern and while it was a bit short, it certainly was fun. The second one though, the one that the exotic animal guards, was much shorter and easier to solve. Do these optional tombs get more challenging later on? If not, do the story tombs at least provide more challenge? Cause if not, that'll be my first con.

Sydle

Have finished two optional tombs now, the first one was Ancient Cistern and while it was a bit short, it certainly was fun. The second one though, the one that the exotic animal guards, was much shorter and easier to solve. Do these optional tombs get more challenging later on? If not, do the story tombs at least provide more challenge? Cause if not, that'll be my first con.

I didn't think any of the tombs were challenging. The puzzle solutions are fairly obvious, but there are a few that were a lot of fun to work through and they're often very pretty.

Loved the game! Probabally going to go through again on the hardest difficulty, but can say now that this is the best SP experienced I have had this generation.

The Story, mechanics, character investment, and world were all done very well in my opinion.
It is a shame that more people can not play it right now, but that is just the way things go.

Anyways, I hope that in the next game they will improve on some of the RPG survival elements to make the game more robust.....I seriously wouldn't mind an all out TR RPG with a more robust hunting/crafting system.

Overall, huge improvement on the last TR (reboot) in just about every way (especially the tombs), and I hope MS/Square can find a way to get the game in the hands of more people!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy to see all the positive feedback about the game in this thread. I don't have an XB1 but I just picked it up today for the 360 and I'm excited to work through it over the holidays. Here's hoping the 360 version isn't too gimped.

Does the game's plot tie in with TR2013 at all? I'm considering replaying TR2013 on PS3 as a refresher before jumping into this game, but I don't know if it's worth it.

TheYanger

I'm happy to see all the positive feedback about the game in this thread. I don't have an XB1 but I just picked it up today for the 360 and I'm excited to work through it over the holidays. Here's hoping the 360 version isn't too gimped.

Does the game's plot tie in with TR2013 at all? I'm considering replaying TR2013 on PS3 as a refresher before jumping into this game, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Not really. Basically the first game happened, then the comics happened (which you only need to know that Lara went to therapy and such, hence the reveal trailer) and it leaves Lara with only Jonah saddled around, Sam is in jail or some shit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. Basically the first game happened, then the comics happened (which you only need to know that Lara went to therapy and such, hence the reveal trailer) and it leaves Lara with only Jonah saddled around, Sam is in jail or some shit.

Lol weird. I liked the plot in TR2013 so was hoping for some continuation, but I guess it's not the end of the world.

Uzny

Just finished the game, amazing ride from the beginning to end. My GOTY for sure as I literally turned down sex to play.

Kudos to Crystal, you guys rock.

getting my ass kicked on score attack. Not even close to the gold ranks. This is pretty much all I have left to do for 1000 gs. Going to be a struggle. Have to farm a shitload of credits to duplicate other peoples cards

Top Bottom