• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

vazel

Banned
Does that do what it sounds like it does?
Here is an explanation from a Tripwire dev. Doesn't seem bad to leave it on unless you're playing on an HDTV which already adds lag of its own.
[TW]redeye;965825 said:
Ok, here goes. Since this comes up quite often, I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

First some background. The game runs essentially on 2 main threads - a game thread and a rendering thread. The game thread calculates all gameplay aspects such as shooting, hit registration, animation, IK, etc. The rendering thread calculates shadows, updates particle systems (such as smoke), and sends all the draw calls to the GPU for rendering.

Although for most parts the rendering thread can run on its own, it is not entirely independent of the game thread. The game thread "tells" the render thread where your camera is so that the rendering thread can draw the environment from your current location. Another example would be when you shoot, the game thread evaluates your mouse click, computes the ballistics, and if it hits a wall, it "tells" the render thread the location where it hit so that the render thread can draw a bullet impact decal at that location.

Because of this, the game thread needs to "talk" with the render thread. However, it cannot do so anytime it wants (effective threading simply doesn't work that way). So, it syncs from time to time, but otherwise goes about its own business. This sync time is usually at the end of a frame.

Now, let's assume that your game thread is running faster than your render thread. The game thread computes the Nth frame, sync happens, and then your render thread renders your Nth frame. While the Nth frame is being rendered, the game thread can compute your (N+1)th frame in parallel. By the time the (N+1)th frame is finished by the game thread, the Nth thread MAY or MAY NOT be finished by the rendering thread. This is where "One Frame Thread Lag" comes in. If OFTL is off, the game thread will STALL at this point, waiting for the render thread, resulting in a performance drop. But, if you play with OFTL turned on, it will allow the game thread to queue up the (N+1)th frame and start working on the (N+2)th frame immediately, and the render thread can pick up and render the (N+1)th frame once it has finished rendering the Nth frame. This gives you MORE PARALLELISM, and hence better performance. Keep in mind that this will only happen for one frame - your render thread will NOT keep falling behind more and more as your game progresses.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=965825&postcount=2

Fugu

I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit so far. The combat is good, the gunplay is good. It would be a whole lot better if there were less hitscan enemies but I'm not far enough into the game to make a definitive judgement on this one. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the game is a little bit easier than I expected it to be but I'm expecting it to get harder.

My major complaint is the large amount of technical issues, particularly in that my framerate continues to stutter no matter what I do (i7 920, 7950). Disabling mouse acceleration made the game a hundred times more enjoyable but the framerate stuttering still makes the controls feel more awkward than they should. I've also skipped large areas of the game through fairly obvious rocket jumps and I've hurdled myself out of bounds without much effort. The former is fine if they intended the game to be playable that way (I'm certainly not complaining about it) although the latter is a little silly, especially considering there's a particularly easy way to get out of bounds in E1M2 that doesn't even involve a rocket jump.

Fugu

Being able to skip chunks of levels via rocket jumps will facilitate speed runs, much like with Quake 1.
The difference is that in Quake 1, the levels were enclosed so the places you could RJ weren't very obvious; in addition, the health toll for rocket jumping in Quake is a lot higher than it is here. Again, I think their inclusion is good if they did it on purpose but due to the ease of going out of bounds I'm not sure that's always the case.

I noticed that too.

Anyone else notice that the sound is way way too loud as well, especially the voices.
I'm having the opposite problem. Everything is oddly muted.

Zeliard

The difference is that in Quake 1, the levels were enclosed so the places you could RJ weren't very obvious; in addition, the health toll for rocket jumping in Quake is a lot higher than it is here. Again, I think their inclusion is good if they did it on purpose but due to the ease of going out of bounds I'm not sure that's always the case.

Interesting. I'm about to boot it up so I'll check that out.

Is the health toll for rj'ing any different in MP?

Fugu

Interesting. I'm about to boot it up so I'll check that out.

Is the health toll for rj'ing any different in MP?
I have no idea as I cannot get multiplayer to work. The next time I get to a checkpoint I'll test how much health I'm actually losing per rocket jump but it can't be much more than a third. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and rjing pretty liberally without knowing where I'm going, so there's that.

It would be a whole lot better if there were less hitscan enemies but I'm not far enough into the game to make a definitive judgement on this one.
ROTT is based on Wolfenstein, so it will mostly be hitscan enemies.

I've also skipped large areas of the game through fairly obvious rocket jumps and I've hurdled myself out of bounds without much effort. The former is fine if they intended the game to be playable that way (I'm certainly not complaining about it) although the latter is a little silly, especially considering there's a particularly easy way to get out of bounds in E1M2 that doesn't even involve a rocket jump.
Good.

That means they didn't make the level design worse just to take a stab at people trying to sequence break.

They did it on purpose, because in the original game you would one shot yourself if you even came close to being hit by your own explosion.

G-Fex

I'm having the opposite problem. Everything is oddly muted.

lol. I guess I have to keep adjusting the sound or something, her voice when she picks up rocket launchers is way way too loud.

From the comments
In that sense it's a lot like Duke Nukem forever, good quick fun. Just don't expect a challenge because modern day shooters have taken up to such a skill level that everything thrown at us from these games don't really surprise us or challenge us.

Might try it out, thanks for the review.
images

No kidding, that guy has to be a troll. Just gone done completing 2 SP missions and 5 MP games. I'm absolutely loving it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones cause I set the settings to "Ludicrous" and had no crashes or anything. Very minor FPS drops, but nothing major, game was generally between 50 - 60 FPS. I can't wait for the modding community to open up.

DSmalls84

Enjoying ROTT so far. If anyone wants to play some MP add me on Steam (DSmalls84). Would be fun to get some Gaf matches set up.

Modern gaming has absolutely blunted my playing skills. Forget 8 or 16-bit games, even only going as far back as the original Devil May Cry I noticed that I was really sucking up a storm when I tried replaying it a couple years ago, compared to cruising through it when it first came out.

ROTT is hard.

Caved quicker than I thought. Price was too good to pass up once I used money in my Steam Wallet from trading cards.

I'll be playing tonight when I get home from work if any of you fine folks want to add me

DaveOshry

SO DO YOU RIKE IT?! DO YOU RIKE ITTTT??!!!!

CAN YOU DIG ITTTTTTT?

Seriously though. GAF games. Wario is beast. Let's do this. I am super pro at being on GAF now XD

Refyref

I'm done for today, but man, this game is great. My favorite FPS in a long time. Multiplayer does have some performance issues, but otherwise, it's fantastic.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
MP runs like diarrhea for me compared to SP. It's like 20 fps so basically unplayable. I need a new PC anyway though. Like it so far.

Played the first two missions and I'm enjoying it. Did manage to get stuck between a sandbag and a wall on the second level. Tried MP... that didn't go so well. first 2 to 3 servers I tried joining just took me back to the menu and when I finally did join a game, the client crashed.

Uiki

SO DO YOU RIKE IT?! DO YOU RIKE ITTTT??!!!!

CAN YOU DIG ITTTTTTT?

Seriously though. GAF games. Wario is beast. Let's do this. I am super pro at being on GAF now XD

Tell me that you have a magic patch to fix the frame rate..

DaveOshry

Tell me that you have a magic patch to fix the frame rate..

Patch 1 is like ALL optimization. Also, make sure your settings in the launcher are actually saving. Press ACCEPT SETTINGS like 5 times. And be sure to disable lens flare and bloom and all that dumb shit. ^__^

Uiki

Patch 1 is like ALL optimization. Also, make sure your settings in the launcher are actually saving. Press ACCEPT SETTINGS like 5 times. And be sure to disable lens flare and bloom and all that dumb shit. ^__^

I'm playing on low 1024x768 HARDCORE STYLE BITCHES.

I played 4 levels and holy shit dude... That's an old school fps. It kinda feels like a "modern" wolfenstein 3d. Loving it so far.

Nokterian

Loving the game,that speed,them weapons. Just needs a bit more optimization and bug fixes. Overall it is fun and that is good.

Also why is the music even at 100% still so QUIET? I want to get my socks knocked off during shooting,this needs to be fixed also.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the first Episode. As a ROTT fan I'm loving it, it's great to see one of my favourite FPS as a kid being so lovingly remade now and not changed or fucked up beyond recognition. I'm very happy indeed. Technical issues need to patched and the game cleaned up but I'm still very impressed with what you guys managed to achieve on your own in a year and a half. I hope it at least sells so you can keep supporting it and spend more time on it :)

Plus you never know, maybe one day we might see Duke Reloaded finished by you guys ;)

DaveOshry

Loving the game,that speed,them weapons. Just needs a bit more optimization and bug fixes. Overall it is fun and that is good.

Also why is the music even at 100% still so QUIET? I want to get my socks knocked off during shooting,this needs to be fixed also.

YEAH DUDE THAT'S A KNOWN BUG AND IT PISSES ME OFF SINCE THE MUSIC IS SO AWESOME. PATCH 1!

Awesome to hear, and yeah the game is pretty fucking awesome. It is really obvious everyone on the project put their heart into making the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that makes me chuckle is that the pistol and MP40 have infinite ammo and don't need to be reloaded yet there's reloading animations anyway and I keep fucking reloading when I don't need to. Damn you modern shooters!

Zeliard

The thing that makes me chuckle is that the pistol and MP40 have infinite ammo and don't need to be reloaded yet there's reloading animations anyway and I keep fucking reloading when I don't need to. Damn you modern shooters!

Seriously, I keep reloading :/

It's like a tic.

NIN90

I had to bind Reload to L so I wouldn't reload all the time.

I'm more or less stuck on single player. Every time I try getting into a Multiplayer game, the whole thing freezes up on me.

:(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I keep reloading :/

It's like a tic.

I had to bind Reload to L so I wouldn't reload all the time.

lol yeah, it's like a disease. I gather we're all 'every few shots then reload' kinda people ? :p

However, the dual pistol reload animation is cool as fuck at least and kills with them are going towards an achievement labelled 'Tequila' so that's something. Love the reference.

sflufan

Banned
I had to backtrack to pick up health packs.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to do that in an FPS!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Played through the first 3 levels on hard.

Interceptor, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for reminding me why FPS games used to be among my favorite genres. You nailed it.

Top Bottom