• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Game seems really awesome, it is really just performance problems that is letting it down. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed pretty easily whether it is on driver side or on the game side.

It being UE3 really REALLY dampens my enthusiasm for this game.

Has anyone tried it on a phenom II cpu and/or hd6870?

Reading the words stutter on a page about an oldschool fastpaced shooter makesmy skin crawl, but that's garbage engine 3 for you.... :\
I was tempted to buy it several times today but decided to wait for impressions, seems like it was the wise thing to do as always.

I want , no I need this to be good, been craving an oldschool shooter for years, serious sam 3 wasn't enough especially with the crappy opening levels.

Atruvius

When you press F4 does the game go into freeze mode for you guys, like the time stops but you can run around. And when you press F7 and F8 you can change view mode to disable lighting, show wireframe, no textures etc.

Pretty weird but definitely cool.

Edit. and that lighting is bugged. It looks like the sky has really bad screen tearing when lightning flashes, and it only affects the sky.

I've certainly read more good than bad. Plus at $15, I can't help but feel that it's worth it regardless. I'm sure I'll have more fun with the game than I've had with some $59.99 titles.

Gameranx just gave it at 10/10, lol. So good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For performance issues, if you havent tried it yet, turn off depth of field, motion blur, and bloom. That helped for me. Make sure you hit 'accept settings'

Uiki

Possible stuttering fix:

1. Open My Documents\My Games\Rise Of The Triad\ROTTGame\Config\ROTTEngine.ini
2. Search for "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True", change to "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False"

After the first 10 seconds or so it definitely feels a bit smoother. Not sure if this is just confirmation bias on my part so would appreciate if someone else could test for me!

Feels a bit less crappy, yes. Still a total clusterfuck for a fast paced fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How strange, I'm having an issue with the framerate dipping when moving the mouse. If I look straight ahead, it's 60, but if I start moving the mouse it dips to 56-57 fps (which looks terrible on a 60 Hz monitor).

This game is really difficult in the sense that it has a shit ton of adjustable settings...that must all be adjusted outside of the game. Makes finding the perfect balance super tedious as I can't figure out which setting is triggering this.

shuri

Banned
"connection cannot be established" .. I cant create my account

"incorrect query, please contact game support"

For performance issues, if you havent tried it yet, turn off depth of field, motion blur, and bloom. That helped for me. Make sure you hit 'accept settings'

seems like i get the same FPS regardless of my settings of all LOW or HIGH :D

"connection cannot be established" .. I cant create my account

"incorrect query, please contact game support"

well the game is as popular as Diablo 3 and Sim City so give it some time :D

G-Fex

I had to stop playing, wacky framerate was giving me a serious headache.

I haven't a clue what to do with the settings to get it running right.

Atruvius

Possible stuttering fix:

2. Search for "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True", change to "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False"

After the first 10 seconds or so it definitely feels a bit smoother. Not sure if this is just confirmation bias on my part so would appreciate if someone else could test for me!

The game seems smoother after doing that, though I also disabled AO.
the lightning effect was messed up until i had ambient occulsion off

But it didn't help with the lightning.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Possible stuttering fix:

Note that in BioInf this also prevented scripted events from executing, so I assume the same would be true in the case of ROTT.

Edit: Here's the portion of the BioInf PC Perf Thread OP that pertains to the mitigation of stuttering. Maybe it'll help:
Mitigate stuttering: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config, open XEngine.ini, and follow the instructions in this post. (Credit to Mechazawa.) Additionally, if you have a card with more than 512MB of VRAM, find the PoolSize cvar in XEngine.ini and change it according to your amount of GPU memory, using the formula [amount of VRAM in GB] x 600 -- also ensure that the -ReadTexturePoolFromIni cvar has been added to the game's launch options (right-click -> Properties -> Set launch options; may cause instability). (Credit to GSY Miguel and antitrop.) Lastly, setting the bInitializeShadersOnDemand cvars in XEngine.ini and XCompat.ini to TRUE may also help. (Credit to Irrational itself via KoruptData.) [Note that while disabling bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming in XEngine.ini also aids in reducing stuttering, it will break certain script events. Enable/disable at your leisure.]

Substitute paths and filenames where necessary, obviously. ;)

finley83

Banned
Note that this also prevented scripted events in BioInf from executing, so I assume the same would be true in the case of ROTT.

The
truck crash
in
"What the Truck?"
worked fine, will keep playing and see if anything goes drastically wrong...

Uiki

Thanks for trying it out! Combined it with a 59fps limit courtesy of Nvidia Inspector and now the game is actually pretty smooth, having a great time!

I used it in combination with a command found on steam forums (I'm on the phone right now and I can't link it, it's a sticky topic) which changes fps smoothing values and it runs little bit better.

Riggs

Banned
I am showering in gibs, glorious gibs. Infact I wish there was more gibs. Dave please get more gibs add'd. That is all.

Just realized that despite redeeming my gifted copy that mentioned the pre-order back before release I didn't get any of that stuff....bummer.

Edit: Connection cannot be established. Boooo

MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS DON'T CLICK IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO MAJOR PLOT DETAILS

Lorelei just told this Triad I gibbed to "Suck it down!"

Fugu

People interested in disabling the absurd mouse acceleration can find it at:

My Documents\My Games\Rise of the Triad\ROTTGame\Config\ROTTinput.ini
Set "bEnableMouseSmoothing" to false.

Fugu

Does anyone else find themselves getting stuck in a lot of geometry (particularly between ledges and sandbags)?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Seriously?

Interceptor, come on now.

DSmalls84

Ok for those wondering.

My Setup:

i5 2320 3.0 ghz
6 gb ram
660 ti
Windows 7

I changed to the Ludicrus preset and enabled v-sync and Framerate Lock. I also increased the fov to the max setting and am playing at 1080p. So far in the first level i'm bouncing around between 50-60 fps. So not a locked 60 but not as bad as it sounds for some of you.

arit

kmUo2gs.jpg

All hail the fancy image effects, at least I hope the display does not have a real function...

Mouse acceleration is on by default?

And there's no option to turn it off in the menus?

Zeliard

Also set "OneFrameThreadLag" to false in ROTTSystemSettings.ini.

Be warned that this can impact performance, so if it's already shaky for you, you may want to leave that as-is or turn down other settings.

Fugu

Mouse acceleration is on by default?

And there's no option to turn it off in the menus?

Seriously?

Interceptor, come on now.
As a longtime Quake player I found both this and the omission of weapon binds in the options menu very puzzling.

In fact, I still haven't found a way to change the weapon binds (I haven't looked very hard, however). Does anyone know?

Also set "OneFrameThreadLag" to false in ROTTSystemSettings.ini.

Be warned that this can impact performance, so if it's already shaky for you, you may want to leave that as-is or turn down other settings.
Does that do what it sounds like it does?

Got stuck behind moving wall spikes.
That sounds like a blessing in disguise. I had to RJ out of geometry twice now.

Thank you for this.

Also, I noticed that I can't strafe leftward when holding Crouch for some reason.

GooeyHeat

Alright, this runs like crap no matter what changes I make to settings or .ini files. Is this just an AMD thing that I have to wait on?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying the game, it really is ROTT basically redone and updated very slightly and that's great for me :) Fuckin rock hard though, damn my skills have gone to shit over the years.

Thankfully I haven't had or at least noticed any stuttering. I've got stuck in the scenery twice which I got out of by crouching and for some reason I just can't get any servers to list.

I didn't even realise mouse smoothing was on tbh but I am surprised you can't rebind weapon keys and that there's no option for turning smoothing on/off.

Also, is anyone elses lightning fucked on the main screen ?

I hope these things get sorted soon enough, the game's great from what I've played so far.

Top Bottom