• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Raptomex

Somebody explain to me this create your own level/map thing I just read about on Steam? Does this apply to single player?

Edit: Just saw it said coming soon. Still, looks intriguing.

It finally went through on the MP side of things and I managed to play a match. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be though. It felt rough around the edges, compared to say Q3.

I did laugh a couple of times when it came to the bot voice... someone used (i think) dial: followed by a number and it sounded like he was dialing a phone number in the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody explain to me this create your own level/map thing I just read about on Steam? Does this apply to single player?

They're releasing an SDK in the very near future so as you can mod the shit out of the game :) There's already one guy remaking Quakes maps.

low-G

It really does feel like a UT3 mod, a bit janky in many places, performance is not great. Doesn't feel at all polished, but I still think it's OK. Better than Serious Sam 3 lolol. 650Ti and an ancient Core 2 Duo... Gonna try it on a faster CPU soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Frankly, I'm surprised at how good the game apparently is. Can't play it yet myself, but yeah. I remember when the game was revealed about a year ago, and I was like "holy fuck this is sweeeeeet, but probably is gonna suck." But apparently, it's great, and a reminder of when FPSes were about wanton violence instead of bad storylines. And now I'm glad I bought it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You ATI guys are turning off PhysX right? Like this is common knowledge and I don't even have to mention it right?

DSmalls84

Having a lot of fun with this so far.

Only complaints:

Performance
Game sometimes freezes when I join a MP game.

Otherwise it's awesome so far. Pretty hooked on the MP, even though I don't usually play many games online. Rule of thumb so far is any weapon that doesn't fire a bullet is awesome lol. The rocket and flame weapons are all great in different ways.

Xbudz

Game runs slower than it should.
I'm getting a bunch of weird glitches.

Yet it's still enjoyable. After a patch or two, this is will be solid fun for $15.

Yeah, I got a i7 3770 and a 7970 and it probably doesn't run as smoothly as it could.

Also, found out that if you hit F8 you get different graphics options (wireframe, flatshaded, etc).

epmode

Is there a way to disable the automatic switch when you pick up a new weapon? I can't find it in the options.

Xbudz

When you die, sometimes you get the narrator mocking you by saying "Maybe you should stick to a Gaaaaame controller" ...

Kumubou

So I played through the first three levels and the game is roughly what I expected. My biggest concern is that the level design was going to be as bad as the original RotT (where they were godawful, honestly) but this game seems to mostly avoid that. However, it does seem more linear than I expected -- do the later levels open up?

I like how the behavior is so old-school at times I'm not sure if some of the bugs are intentional or not. Stuff like being able to go out of bounds at times (although there are still invisible walls in places, boo to that) or being able to hit switches through walls. Except the performance issues; pretty sure they're not by design (and where's the game telling me to get a 486?!) And holy shit why are the keys so goddamn big.

I really hate the scoring system though; it seems just as inane as the one from the old game. You can combo kills for a whole lot of nothing... unless that's the point. :x I guess I could always mod if I'm that unhappy with it! I also hate how certain parts of the level close themselves behind you after you pass certain points.

And typing "dipstick" into the console still works to enables cheat mode. \o/

Zeliard

Not sure how many others this is affecting but I've been running into this bug where certain doors that should be opening sometimes don't open when I go up to them.

Also getting stuck in scenery on occasion, and the only way out is to either reload or rocket jump.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Geez, the movement speed is way too fast for me.

9410790221_602555dfc1_o.gif

Storm360

The manual is pretty entertaining as well.

9413607384_d4cac10a53_o.jpg

The second tip was made all the much better considering the CEO of interceptor said in a chat that early in development, there was no limit on taunts, so every time someone was losing they'd just mash F

Storm360

So all you changed was the mouth smoothing option and changed the ram options to 1024 instead of 512?

It was running fine for me before hand, although mouse smoothing worked great, friends noticed great improvements with RAM though, and getting higher famerates the more ram they allocated to it

K.Sabot

I'm guessing the fix is somewhere in this thread, but I can't find any servers.

Stuck at searching for servers.

I'm really loving the attention to detail. It's the little things, y'know?

Am having a few glitches, though. I was playing on Ludicrous, getting pretty good framerate, but my graphics card driver crapped out a few times in E1L2. While it recovered each time, it looks like this when it comes back. Only lasts a few seconds; if I move or look around a bit, the graphical glitch goes away. (I should note, this isn't exclusive to RotT; Sonic Generations and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed do the same thing, but tend to look a little better after the recovery. Blender also does this, and tends to become totally unresponsive after it, so RotT's better than Blender, I guess?)

Also pretty sure viscera does not look like this. Might be a texture glitch related to the graphics driver issues from beforehand...

Re: PhysX: I am using an AMD card, and I did not explicitly turn off PhysX. Whatever the setting was for "Ludicrous", I went with. Ran fine in spite of that.

Game runs like garbage in MP for me, played 2 levels of the SP without a single hitch though. The text voice feature had me laughing pretty hard throughout my entire time with the multiplayer.

Hopefully they can get all the performance stuff squared away within a few weeks with a patch

Top Bottom