• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Tain

I like this so far. The enemies are kinda dull (they don't move around very much, it's mostly boring hitscan shots fired at you), but the maps are pretty cool. Lots of climbing secrets and traps. The trailer had like one second of a cool-looking boss, hopefully the enemies get a bit more varied later on.

Melee is sooo buggy, and I'm pretty sure I fired from an invisible rocket launcher after the enemy disarmed mine, lol.

finley83

Banned
Not a good protip when you can die in 1 hit and it's near impossible to avoid it :p

It's a reference to this:

qUPJqyw.jpg

So it seems like this game has a major stuttering problem, and the Giant Bomb Quick Look confirmed it for me.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix it?

Also, this game had a serial key. Since it's on GOG, how is that handled? I thought all games on GOG were DRM-free.

E2L2 is the opposite of fun. What the hell were they thinking.

Yeah, first person platforming really sucks. That level pretty damn frustrating, had to take a break from the game while I was playing it.

So it seems like this game has a major stuttering problem, and the Giant Bomb Quick Look confirmed it for me.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix it?

Also, this game had a serial key. Since it's on GOG, how is that handled? I thought all games on GOG were DRM-free.

You have enter the serial key when creating an account for online play.

Aerocrane

You have to create an account for multiplayer, the key is registered during the account creation process. The account system is there so people buying the game from different services can play the multiplayer together.

You have to create an account for multiplayer, the key is registered during the account creation process. The account system is there so people buying the game from different services can play the multiplayer together.

Only for multiplayer, which was also necessary for leaderboards etc. They could have used Steamworks but then the gog version would be neutered.

I know, but it just seems like GOG is going back on their promise in order to accommodate publishers. I'm not saying it's "wrong", per se, but it's clearly DRM.

vazel

Banned
I know, but it just seems like GOG is going back on their promise in order to accommodate publishers. I'm not saying it's "wrong", per se, but it's clearly DRM.
I'm playing on Steam and I was annoyed by having to register a separate ID in-game. If stuff like uPlay and the Konami ID that was in MGO gets criticized then so should this. I could've done without leaderboards.

maneil99

Also if anyone here wants this game I can get them it for steam for 12$, add me on steam and we can do the trade tomorrow morning ( 11:00 PM PST time here )

Zeliard

I like this so far. The enemies are kinda dull (they don't move around very much, it's mostly boring hitscan shots fired at you)

Yeah, they're pretty basic.

For anyone annoyed by the hitscan, the enemy AI doesn't have flawless aim, and good strafing can take advantage of that even on the highest difficulty.

It's different from, say, Rage, where on the Ultra Nightmare difficulty, enemies pretty much just don't miss with hitscan.

FYC

Banned
Just finished the campaign. Took me about 6 hours, if anyone's curious.

Absolutely loved it from start to finish. One of the best FPS games in recent years, definitely. If you're a fan of "old-school" FPS games, then I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

There are a lot of glitches though. Got stuck in objects quite a few times, and the final boss literally disappeared in the middle of me fighting him about 3 times after his model stretched out everywhere. Not a big deal, patches can solve that. Also I beat the game on medium, but only got the Steam achievement for easy. Eh, whatever.

At any rate, you done good, Interceptor! I sincerely hope this game does well, you deserve it. (P.S., Dave, record another Cocktail Time!)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It's not really much different from say Riddick or GRID where they just have no multiplayer at all on GOG. The single player doesn't have DRM and you can still do what you want with it in that regard and play fully offline with no problems or any DRM. Can't really blame them for trying to maintain the integrity of their game in regards to leaderboards/score and multi. Not arguing if it's DRM or anything, of course it is, but just that I don't really blame them for it for multi anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absolutely love the game thus far. It really is the first game in decades to deliver Doom-like level design. Serious Sam and its ilk were always held up as a return to form but they really weren't. ROTT has genuine 90s level design with modern visuals and it's amazing.

That said, like the early 90s, performance is a bit of a problem. I'm now at least getting a mostly solid 60 but the fact that there are dips at all is driving me crazy as it really interferes with the games speed. Those dips seem to occur regardless of how low I take my settings as well, which is really frustrating.

YEAH DUDE THAT'S A KNOWN BUG AND IT PISSES ME OFF SINCE THE MUSIC IS SO AWESOME. PATCH 1!

Why did you guys have to use ue3 :( it makes me so sad, I'd have bought two copies (one for me and one for a friend) by now if it was on any other engine (well not frostbite or cryengine they have worthless netcode)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why did you guys have to use ue3 :( it makes me so sad, I'd have bought two copies (one for me and one for a friend) by now if it was on any other engine (well not frostbite or cryengine they have worthless netcode)
So you're throwing out just about every other developer friendly engine. What would you have them do? Create their own engine? They were a small team with a low budget.

UE3 was probably the best choice. In general, UE3 games operate at obscenely smooth framerates as well. This one is an anomaly and I don't think any of those other engines would have changed things for the better.

Joe_Slap

Neo Member
This seems to be the fastest paced FPS that I've ever played. Makes me horny.

I need to find the right set up to obtain 60fps in any situation.

Atruvius

I'm experiencing a weird colorspace problem. I'm getting crushed blacks whenever I enable depth of field. I have to disable depth of field to get rid of the crushed blacks.

Yep. I have that too. The difference between dof off and on is quite drastic. Nothing else has been changed but depth of field.

Pistol image has DOF off. MP40 picture has DOF on.

It's not really much different from say Riddick or GRID where they just have no multiplayer at all on GOG. The single player doesn't have DRM and you can still do what you want with it in that regard and play fully offline with no problems or any DRM. Can't really blame them for trying to maintain the integrity of their game in regards to leaderboards/score and multi. Not arguing if it's DRM or anything, of course it is, but just that I don't really blame them for it for multi anyway.

My stance too. But it's sorta funny that there can be a "good" use for DRM, huh?

$h@d0w

Sadly I get motion sickness playing this, but it's silly fun - exactly what I expected and wanted from an updated ROTT.

Now, I'm playing with a controller and the sensitivity setting in the menu has no effect (mouse only). Can anyone help?

Edit -

Okay, I figured it out. Go to:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Rise Of The Triad\ROTTGame\Config\

Edit ROTTGame.ini

LookRightScale
LookUpScale

Increase these values.

Am I the only one who feels that after very good Episode 1 the game is uneven as hell?

I still loved some of the later maps like E4L1 that felt like modern Wolfenstein, but there were FAR too many issues for me to enjoy the rest like I should have. Uninteresting platforming that is mostly a hindrance, wonky hitboxes (often I don't know why a trap "sucks me in"/inflicts damage - sometimes, I don't know why it doesn't), some weird invisible walls, killing me for exploring (it's far too easy to leave boundaries of certain maps), and a LOT of bugs. I fell in lava three times - two times I had to reload a checkpoint because I didn't die. First three boss fights were broken for me (really didn't like them) - especially notable is the second one, he froze three times after the first phase - all I had to do was to shoot at the guy in one place until he died. I fell down to my death from the moving platform once and I don't know why. A lot of times I died thinking "IT WASN'T MY FAULT" which is one of the worst things a game can do to me.

Not to mention a big amount of other smaller bugs (sometimes my character reloaded for no reason, sometimes an enemy stuck in the wall, a lot of door problems etc.) that create a nightmare when you combine them all together.

I have really mixed feelings about the campaign. Especially with the maps that are too complicated for current technical state of the game.

Fugu

I don't know if this is a bug or not but I've noticed several times that the game plays the death animation for enemies prematurely, and sometimes enemies that appear visibly dead will get up a short time later and continue fighting.

Let me just say that if this is intentional, it is very convincing.

I don't know if this is a bug or not but I've noticed several times that the game plays the death animation for enemies prematurely, and sometimes enemies that appear visibly dead will get up a short time later and continue fighting.

There's even an achievement for that, if a feign death badguy kills you.
your crosshairs are red if an enemy is alive

Their animations can be pretty weird, but it's not a bug. They beg for mercy and play dead only to shoot you if you try to leave them alone.

Fugu

A direct rj (as in no delay between shooting and jumping) with the bazooka does 30% damage to yourself as the character with the lowest endurance. Needless to say the penalty is much less than it is in Quake.

There's even an achievement for that, if a feign death badguy kills you.
your crosshairs are red if an enemy is alive
I'm not playing it on Steam so I don't know what the achievements are.

theytookourjobz

Game is great but unfortunately doesn't run that well on my SLI 660s. Even when afterburner is almost locked at 60, it just feels choppy. Hopefully it gets worked out :/

DryvBy

I love this game. I love that I thought the game was too fast at first. I love that I had a score for leaderboards. I love that I didn't need to worry about reloading, even though I kept doing it. I love that I got lost in a level (seriously, who does anymore?). I especially love the food health pick ups.

This team needs to work on Outlaws from dead LucasArts. Because you've mastered what was good about old games. Fun first gameplay!

Too many issues with this game at launch for me to enjoy it thoroughly. I'll come back after a few patches and co-op is implemented (if it ever is). I had fun with the first three levels, though. This game just gives me "PC Gamer Headaches." I long for the day when I can just sit down and enjoy a game without having to troubleshoot, update, or do backflips.

DSmalls84

Lol that feeling when they tell you to use a gamepad but you already are...I have still been able to take 2nd and 3rd place in a few matches though. Having a lot of fun in MP but the map "A Bridge to Near" seems like it consistently has lower FPS than a few of the other maps I tried.

DaveOshry

Played through the first Episode. As a ROTT fan I'm loving it, it's great to see one of my favourite FPS as a kid being so lovingly remade now and not changed or fucked up beyond recognition. I'm very happy indeed. Technical issues need to patched and the game cleaned up but I'm still very impressed with what you guys managed to achieve on your own in a year and a half. I hope it at least sells so you can keep supporting it and spend more time on it :)

Plus you never know, maybe one day we might see Duke Reloaded finished by you guys ;)

Played through the first 3 levels on hard.

Interceptor, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for reminding me why FPS games used to be among my favorite genres. You nailed it.

Thanks guys, these comments mean the world to the team. I BRING THEM FROM BASED GAF USERS.

Tokubetsu

Thanks guys, these comments mean the world to the team. I BRING THEM FROM BASED GAF USERS.

Please, where can I get the main menu theme song? I'm trapped in a desert, thirsting. Help.

Whatever it is, I think it's a bit much. I would never judge a game by the engine it's using. Not to mention anything using UE3 considering I have no problems with it.

Especially with the ridiculous amount of games that use it.

Tain

I installed this to my SSD after hearing about stuttering and it mostly runs well, but I've noticed stutter when gibbing a lot of enemies at once. Never occurred to me that it could be PhysX.

Top Bottom