• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Kumubou

There's even an achievement for that, if a feign death badguy kills you.
your crosshairs are red if an enemy is alive
And true to form for this game, this achievement is glitched. I managed to get this achievement without dying. I inadvertently left someone alive after they feigned death, came back, killed the enemy and then got the achievement. Weird.

Also, I now have this issue where on startup, the game doesn't render anything. It runs fine and you can hear everything, but it's just a black screen. Alt-tabbing back in and out of the game fixes it and the game runs fine from there, but it's annoying.

Xbudz

Some hilarious screenshots at the Steam community page.

UmD4Z6v.jpg

Mmm bacon.

e_i

Have this game cranked up to ludicrous settings and the game moves really goddamn FAST. (I have i7 2.66 ghz, 8 gigs of RAM, GTX 660 2GB). Love the Duke Nukemish one liners. The gbbing is ridiculous though. I chopped a guy in half with a handgun.

scitek

Is there a specific setting that helps boost FPS? Or is my rig just not enough for Ludicrous settings?

GTX 670
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM

DSmalls84

Is there a specific setting that helps boost FPS? Or is my rig just not enough for Ludicrous settings?

GTX 670
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM

Seems like most people are not getting great MP performance. I did get a boost from dropping down to High and Medium presets, and Wario said that turning off Ambient Occlusion and DOF made a noticable difference.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

GTX 670
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM

Turn off motion blur, radial blur and DOF. Those effects both look awful and impact performance.

Fugu

Thanks guys, these comments mean the world to the team. I BRING THEM FROM BASED GAF USERS.
Can you let them know that for many of us the great game is held back by significant technical issues? The multiplayer is actually not even worth touching for me at this framerate.

Hey cm guy, can you ask one of the devs why mouse smoothing is on by default, it seems to be on by default in all ue3 games no matter what dev.
I've always wondered what on earth possesses them to think it's okay to have this shit on, now is a chance to finally ask.

edit: I see there is also mouse acceleration.

I genuinly can't comprehend why any fps dev would have this shit on on the pc, did none of the people working there actually play your own game? Or play shooters in general and mention that noone wants this crap ? (and plenty of computer illiterates will not know how to get rid of it)
Not a single one? How can you make an oldschool fast paced pc shooter and not understand that these things should be disabled?

It boggles my mind, really.

finley83

Banned
Having bought a DRM free copy from GoG, I'm somewhat confused as to why the 'Mods' entry is greyed out in the menu. Does this mean I'm unable to use mods without using the CD Key? (I've only played offline so far)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Having bought a DRM free copy from GoG, I'm somewhat confused as to why the 'Mods' entry is greyed out in the menu. Does this mean I'm unable to use mods without using the CD Key? (I've only played offline so far)

It's greyed out for everyone for now. Mods should be coming very soon hopefully :) (after they've patched the game up)

Hey cm guy, can you ask one of the devs why mouse smoothing is on by default, it seems to be on by default in all ue3 games no matter what dev.
I've always wondered what on earth possesses them to think it's okay to have this shit on, now is a chance to finally ask.

edit: I see there is also mouse acceleration.

I genuinly can't comprehend why any fps dev would have this shit on on the pc, did none of the people working there actually play your own game? Or play shooters in general and mention that noone wants this crap ? (and plenty of computer illiterates will not know how to get rid of it)
Not a single one? How can you make an oldschool fast paced pc shooter and not understand that these things should be disabled?

It boggles my mind, really.

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Atruvius

There's now a SUPER OFFICIAL BUG THREAD over at Steam Community where you can post bugs you've found!

I've got so many games to play, I'll wait for the patch before I'll dive in to the. Have completed 3 levels and played some multiplayer and the game is really really fun. Though, I wish it had quick saves and loads.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For all the issues the game has it's so much damn fun to play. It made me realize how much I missed this kind of experience. In particular, the inclusion of fast paced, driving music mixed with high speed gameplay really puts a smile on my face. It's just so ridiculous and awesome.

I love mouse smoothing and won't play without it. Disabling it looks nasty to my eyes and I prefer the feel of smooth mouse to raw input.

I hate acceleration, though.

So what exactly do you have to do to get a Ludicrous Gibs, anyway? Just gib a lot of people in a row or something? I've done that here and there and not gotten it, whereas I can shoot a single guy with a rocket point-blank and get it.

So what exactly do you have to do to get a Ludicrous Gibs, anyway? Just gib a lot of people in a row or something? I've done that here and there and not gotten it, whereas I can shoot a single guy with a rocket point-blank and get it.
I think it's the latter. Ludicrous gibs have the gibs splatter all over your screen, so yeah it would make sense that you would need to be close.

FYC

Banned
Haha, I love the post-credit stuff. Game crashed during the credits last night so I revisited it, glad I stuck around.

Want to mention that I really like the boss fights. I think the third one is my favorite. Fantastic stuff. I miss boss fights in shooters these days :(

And true to form for this game, this achievement is glitched. I managed to get this achievement without dying. I inadvertently left someone alive after they feigned death, came back, killed the enemy and then got the achievement. Weird.

Also, I now have this issue where on startup, the game doesn't render anything. It runs fine and you can hear everything, but it's just a black screen. Alt-tabbing back in and out of the game fixes it and the game runs fine from there, but it's annoying.

Yeah the achievements are glitched, people beating the game on the higher difficulties only get the Easy achievement, and I got one for playing with a mod installed... Don't think I got no mods. I believe the team's aware of it though.

I see there's a "bad ending". Let me guess: just like in RotT '95,
if you don't kill all of Oscuro's spawn in the final level, the Earth explodes

FYC

Banned
I see there's a "bad ending". Let me guess: just like in RotT '95,
if you don't kill all of Oscuro's spawn in the final level, the Earth explodes

Nah,

There's a computer in his lair during the final fight. If you go up to it and press use, you set off a nuke and everyone in L.A dies. Caught me off guard, funny stuff.

Moff

this is probably one of the best remakes/relaunches I ever played.

mainly because the original ROTT was a pretty mediocre game and always a few leagues below its competition.

but the new is actually a pretty fun game, the whole jumping concept works much better today woth better graphisc, physics and smoother controls.

the gunplay is certainly not among the best, but good enough.

I'll keep playing

The campaign is so ridiculously frustrating. I need to unlearn so many years of modern FPS habits. Multiplayer is still so fun though, this game will be unreal once the community starts to run servers with all sorts of crazy mods and game modes

mrgone

Has anything been mentioned officially about the damage indicator? I can't tell if it's broken, there's some kind of ricochet lunacy happening, or if it's another goof on modern shooters and points in random directions when you get hit :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
lol I beat the egads part of e2l2 like instantly on my first try when I went back in. Still hated that level though.

And MP just does not seem very good to me. 16 players feels like way too many and you basically just pray you can get to an explosive weapon before you get destroyed like 3 seconds after you spawn.

And MP just does not seem very good to me. 16 players feels like way too many and you basically just pray you can get to an explosive weapon before you get destroyed like 3 seconds after you spawn.
Yeah. It's definitely a multiplayer mode that can't have many people. Either that or the maps should have been much larger with more spawn points.

I've had a similar issue in Far Cry 3.

I just turned up the fan speed on my graphics card to like 80%+.
That pretty much fixed it. I guess it was over heating. Worth a try if you haven't already.
That got me curious, so, after getting the graphics card crash two times in a row while staring at a bulletin board in E1L3, I downloaded MSI Afterburner and checked it out. Seems my fan speed was maxing out around 42%, and GPU temps around 65°C or so. Not sure if that's good or bad, but considering this was during a moment where I was getting four or five back-to-back crashes on the title screen... ehm, yeah.

It's a reference to this:

qUPJqyw.jpg
Fun fact: this is actually a fake by Doomworld co-founder Linguica. (You can tell by the rocket blast decals on the walls; vanilla Doom doesn't have those.)

Xbudz

I figured out how to change controller bindings in the .ini files.

I set it up like Halo, lol. X needs to be reload for me. B button is now duck.
You can even slow down movement speed if you want (I didn't)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The campaign is so ridiculously frustrating. I need to unlearn so many years of modern FPS habits. Multiplayer is still so fun though, this game will be unreal once the community starts to run servers with all sorts of crazy mods and game modes
I love wandering around trying to figure out how to proceed.

That said, it's actually more difficult here than in older shooters simply due to the more detailed visuals. In something like Doom where everything was simple and flat, it was quite easy to see what may or may not be useful.

I love wandering around trying to figure out how to proceed.

That said, it's actually more difficult here than in older shooters simply due to the more detailed visuals. In something like Doom where everything was simple and flat, it was quite easy to see what may or may not be useful.
It was pretty hard to see enemies in the original RotT as well (any jokes you can make about everything being grey & brown, well, RotT was seriously grey & brown), so there's that.

The major differences I see so far, as of E2M4 from the original RotT are:

- Checkpoint system instead of manual saving
- Levels are built with modelling instead of tiling square walls (RotT came out later than DOOM, but had much more primitive map engine underneath superior sprite and effects work).
- The addition of a jump button, and therefore platforming challenges that are absent from the original
- Enemy barrel rolls work as they should (in original they just get stunlocked)
- Rocket jumping is a thing
- Drunk missile became the secondary fire for the rocket chain gun
- Blades and spikes have much larger hitboxes relative to their ancestors

I'd say the new RotT is actually harder than the original so far.

Aerocrane

The player limit in multiplayer should be smaller than 16, the maps feel too small for that many players. There is a noticeable performance hit in multiplayer (for me at least), and a lower playercount could really help with that.

The player limit in multiplayer should be smaller than 16, the maps feel too small for that many players. There is a noticeable performance hit in multiplayer (for me at least), and a lower playercount could really help with that.

can you create a game with a limit of 8?

Aerocrane

can you create a game with a limit of 8?

I have not attempted hosting a match myself, but I think there is an option for it.

EDIT: Checked the Giant Bomb quick look, there are no options for playercount at least when attempting to host from the game client itself.

Caffeine

I have not attempted hosting a match myself, but I think there is an option for it.

EDIT: Checked the Giant Bomb quick look, there are no options for playercount at least when attempting to host from the game client itself.

there is a ldkdedicated server exe in the main folder of rott that allows player counts

Top Bottom