• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

kudoboi

are there many people playing this online? im in asia so its usually about 3AM USA time. more importantly, are there any asia servers?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Dave, any news on patch #1?

This was just posted on the Steam discussion hub for the game

Patch 1.0.1 & Feedback
Hi Guys.

My name is Frederik Schreiber, and im the Game Director on Rise of the Triad.
First of all, I want to say THANK YOU for a great reception on Day 1.

We are a very small team, who created this game in 1.5 years with literally no budget, spread all over the world. It has been created with the pure love and passion of doing a First Person Shooter we would love to play.

Day 1 is never without issues, and we are looking into every single thread you guys have posted, offering help, performance tweaks and guides on how to improve the game.

We have just released Patch 1.0.1.
The first patch will not address most of the current issues (Patches are usually in development before the game release), but will address more Game Breaking issues - Getting actual LAN to work.

Below is the changelog for Patch 1.0.1:

- Offline LAN visibility in the Server Browser now works properly
- UE3 Game Braking Debug Commands (F1-12) now disabled

We are currently working on a big Patch - 1.1 - Which will address many of the issues we have gathered from all of your feedback.

We truly appreciate all the great feedback - We see Rise of the Triad as a game we share with the community. A growing game that we help improve together over time.

Personally, I just want to thank you all, for the amazing feedback we have been getting otherwise. It means the world to us!

Thanks!

Frederik Schreiber
CEO & Game Director
Interceptor Entertainment

Someone then asked him about 1.1 and he replied

sToast, we are currently planning all the work we want to put into it (We really want to ship it with the Level Editor as well), so it will be a biggie. We are aiming for 4-5 weeks from now.

Atruvius

That's a bit of a bummer if they do that as I see that optimization patch being more urgent than a level editor.

Yeah, the pains of a small team. I guess they're trying to release as much content as fast as possible. It sucks people are having optimization problems. I recently upgraded my PC, but I no problems. It's bizarre considering it looks like you have problems or you don't at all, there's nothing in-between lol.

Uiki

4-5 weeks?

dY6cm7O.gif

fred

This game was awesome, wouldn't surprise me if this game holds the World Record for the most secrets in a video game. It was full of them!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fuck it, I'm out. The performance is driving me insane and ruining the game. Some areas just run like shit regardless. The inconsistency is too much and I'm not having fun anymore as a result.

I really like what they did with it, but the performance is too unstable and unoptimized.

antitrop

Fuck it, I'm out. The performance is driving me insane and ruining the game. Some areas just run like shit regardless. The inconsistency is too much and I'm not having fun anymore as a result.

I really like what they did with it, but the performance is too unstable and unoptimized.
Yup, this game runs and looks like shit.

Seems to play alright, though. Still having a lot of fun, glad it wasn't more than $15. This is nowhere even close to the same level of $15 quality that Blood Dragon and Gunslinger obviously were.

Dug

Banned
Anyone know if they will release the soundtrack for this game? From what I heard it sounds awesome.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the pains of a small team. I guess they're trying to release as much content as fast as possible. It sucks people are having optimization problems. I recently upgraded my PC, but I no problems. It's bizarre considering it looks like you have problems or you don't at all, there's nothing in-between lol.

Yeah though I must admit I agree with Atruvius in that they should release the Level Editor later and concentrate on fixing the problems for now. Regardless I'll judge them on their long term support. Red Orchestra 2 launched in a much much worse state than this did and is a pretty great game now (and Rising Storm is ace as well).

Anyone know what could cause the problem of the lightning on the main menu being flickering rather than, well, actual lightning ? I've had that a on few games recently though, not just ROTT. I did upgrade my drivers but didn't do anything in fixing that.

eXistor

I played the first 2 levels yesterday. I like it a lot so far, but man I'm gonna have to get used to this pace, so fast! Also, the sound design seems kind of shit, it's very hard to hear where gunshots are coming from, they lack impact.

jambo

Played a few hours tonight and loved it.

I kinda wish the levels were a tiny bit bigger, with wider corridors and some more open areas. I suppose I can just play Serious Sam for that though.

Got through the first episode on Hard, although I did die a few times, especially on the boss haha.

Love the music too, would be cool to be able to get the soundtrack.

Can't wait for mods and custom maps.

scitek

Finally jumped online and was getting a framerate in the 40s. I think I'll hold off and see if maybe a driver update comes along or something. I liked what little I could stand to play, but I had trouble finding populated servers. The only one that was green for me had 1 person on it. In the meantime, I've been playing Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, and it's funnily enough gotten my bunny-hopping skills back a little. I was making people miss a lot in ROTT multi. :p

dark10x

Yup, this game runs and looks like shit.

Seems to play alright, though. Still having a lot of fun, glad it wasn't more than $15. This is nowhere even close to the same level of $15 quality that Blood Dragon and Gunslinger obviously were.
Well, let's not forget that those games (especially Blood Dragon) could not have existed without work done elsewhere. Blood Dragon by itself would still have cost a lot of money but was able to be made off of the work completed for Far Cry 3.

This is a much smaller studio that isn't as experienced.

Still, disappointing that it runs so poorly.

antitrop

Well, let's not forget that those games (especially Blood Dragon) could not have existed without work done elsewhere. Blood Dragon by itself would still have cost a lot of money but was able to be made off of the work completed for Far Cry 3.

This is a much smaller studio that isn't as experienced.

Still, disappointing that it runs so poorly.
Yup, I realize all that. Which is why I bought ROTT at full price even though I knew what I was getting myself into at the beginning.

I'm more than happy to support developers looking to bring back old-school FPS design and I'm sure they'll fix this game, eventually. Until then, I have plenty of other shit to play instead.

dark10x

Guys, if the game is looking bad for you, you should disable depth of field. DOF messes with lighting, seems to disable coloured lights, crushes blacks, etc.

Depth of Field on

Depth of Field off
The shot with DoF is what the game is supposed to look like, actually.

shuri

Banned
is it normal that it's taking forever to find servers to play online?

On the other hand, i'm not experiencing any of the performance issues in this thread..

is it normal that it's taking forever to find servers to play online?

On the other hand, i'm not experiencing any of the performance issues in this thread..

I don't know if that's normal. When I got into MP games the other day it was almost immediately. Who knows though, could be the network tweaks? Yeah, me either. :p

Atruvius

Look at all of the videos including the loading screens. Clearly that is how they intended the game to look.

The game loads too fast and the compression on the pictures is so bad I can't really make out anything.

But none of the official pictures look like that my picture with DOF on.

shuri

Banned
i'm running the latest nvidia beta and i'm getting 120_fps right now at the entry of level 3 (with the 3 rotating blades), according to fraps. 1080p and set on ludicious details.

dark10x

The game loads too fast and the compression on the pictures is so bad I can't really make out anything.

But none of the official pictures look like that my picture with DOF on.
Oh, the compression is awful, but you can still see them if you look in the game folder. Looks just like the game with DoF on.

i'm running the latest nvidia beta and i'm getting 120_fps right now at the entry of level 3 (with the 3 rotating blades), according to fraps. 1080p and set on ludicious details.
The hell? What card are you using? I dunno about that section, but I get constant dips. GTX680 here.

I've been enjoying the game so far except for the occasional performance issues.

However Polygon just tried to livestream the game and they quit after 10 minutes saying it was unplayable. He was at 720p and at medium when he gave up. Sad to see.

Xbudz

Xbox Controller users:
If you want to switch the button for Reload to X:

Open ROTTGame.ini and find these lines:
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="XBOX_Use",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="XBOX_Reload",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Swap them to this:
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="XBOX_Reload",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="XBOX_Use",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Save and you're done.

Also, I updated the "just rumble.xpadder" profile to include rumble when you click the right analog stick for the knife attack.
Download here: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5U0vkin/0/blob?download

Volcynika

Got to the 4th or 5th level, and got a God Mode item....then somehow got glitched behind a spike wall and just had to sit there till the God Mode ran out and I died. :/

-MD-

First death online and I hear "why don't you go back to using a controller"

I died both in the game and in rl.

KingKong

The annoying thing about platforming/spikes is that this game's movement just sucks. The friction is way off. If this was Quake where you can stop on a dime it would be no problem but here I'm sliding all over the place

Man, my FPS has tanked on E3L2...I even set the graphic settings to low and didn't notice any difference.

Guess I'm just gunna have to wait for a patch.

sigh.

just want to play online.... Wait someone is already logged in with this account with different IP.

even with password reset.

NICE. NICE!

pa22word

I really wanna know who decided to default the difficulty to easy when loading a game so I can hunt him down and tear his balls off >:O!

But seriously, it's a fun game that's just destroyed atm by the performance. On a 5870 and an i7 960 and it's running at anywhere from 40-50 fps on average, with dips into the 20s being prevalent. If 4-5 weeks is the when we can expect the patch then I'm probably never going to purchase another game from these guys on day 1 ever again. I purchased a 4 pack for some friends and atm I'm the only one who can stomach the performance enough to play it...

And yeah, I'm on e2m2 as well. I thought we learned 15 years ago that FPV platforming = nono >_>

Top Bottom