• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6iLFmKOzL8&t=4m51s
Is that you playing?
Are you playing with a controller? If yes I want to take that controller and smack you over the head with it-.-, that was just painful to watch.

That was me playing and attempting with a controller to try out. I quickly switch to mouse and keyboard and my controller was jacked up forcing me to move left constantly for some reason. Keyboard and mouse on this game all the way as it should be.

Silky

Banned
"Stick to a Gamepad"

ibkTndhDetSlv3.gif

DSmalls84

Have it preloaded and I'm just waiting to get home from work. It seems like as long as your expecting an old school shooter you won't be disappointed.

robin2

Any particular reason to buy it on steam rather than gog.com? I ideally always go gog when I can. For example: does multiplayer uses steam (is there coop? no there isn't)?

Silky

Banned
Downloading this directly at midnight to play endlessly until I move.

Question, does this game have offline bots? I would like to practice this

Atruvius

Greenmangaming just raised the game's price to 20€ from 12€. And the game's out of stock. Would've bought it otherwise. :(

The game's now in stock but the price is still 20€. Why!? And now it's back t o 12€...

NIN90

Looking forward to being unable to use my PC at all for 10 minutes straight while Steam unlocks the preload.

Refyref

Yes! Finished unpacking!

I'll take a look at the manual, then boot the game itself.

EDIT: This is the most customizable UE3 games I have seen, ever.

SparkTR

General consensus seems to be that this is old-school to a fault, that level design is the highpoint of the SP campaign, and that the game gets hard as balls later on.

If you like that sort of game, warts and all, you'll find something to love here.

SparkTR

EDIT: This is the most customizable UE3 games I have seen, ever.

You weren't kidding, it's one of the most customizable I've seen in any game I've played. Holy shit.

e: Also if a developer reads this, can you allow keybinding to the side mouse button? That's my usual jumping key.

FACE

Banned
General consensus seems to be that this is old-school to a fault, the gameplay is simplistic compared to other recent fast-paced shooters (Painkiller, Serious Sam) but the level design is genuinely interesting, and that the game gets hard as balls later on.

If you like that sort of game, warts and all, you'll find something to love here.

I think you've just said things that contradict each other. If the level design is interesting than it cannot possibly be more simplistic than Serious Sam :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm anyone playing the mp? Game crashes every time I join a server.

I think comb-batt servers works fine

Also, I've turned off DOF, bloom, motion blur to improve framerate, I think the game chokes on the max settings

Stitch

Gold Member
Weird, this runs like crap and I can't change the settings ingame.
It's also not accepting quite a few keys/buttons on my keyboard and mouse.

edit: even on medium it drops to 32fps. aaaaahhh what's going on!?

Tain

SparkTR said:
General consensus seems to be that this is old-school to a fault, the gameplay is simplistic compared to other recent fast-paced shooters (Painkiller, Serious Sam) but the level design is genuinely interesting, and that the game gets hard as balls later on.

ehhhhhhhh I'm probably going to risk this at $15. It's hard for me to turn down fast-paced first person shooters in the first place, and I appreciate the lack of traditional quicksave/quickload in a game that seems to be so aggressively courting the modern PC-fanatic crowd.

I'm definitely not expecting something on the level of Serious Sam 3, but hopefully it's good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ehhhhhhhh I'm probably going to risk this at $15. It's hard for me to turn down fast-paced first person shooters in the first place, and I appreciate the lack of checkpoints in a game that seems to be so aggressively courting the modern PC-fanatic crowd.

I'm definitely not expecting something on the level of Serious Sam 3, but hopefully it's good.

There's checkpoints in this game though, lol

I wished it was just manual save/load system

SparkTR

I think you've just said things that contradict each other. If the level design is interesting than it cannot possibly be more simplistic than Serious Sam :p

Yeah, I'm just echoing what I read. Just that navigating the levels and finding secrets carries the game more than shooting Nazis in the face does, which sounds a hell of a lot better than SS3. Also this is largely SP impressions.

e: I actually I guess you call that gunplay, not gameplay.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The level design alone makes this game much better than those two games IMO.

Refyref

Serious Sam and this are different types of games, I don't get why people are comparing them.

Also, holy hell, this game is FAST!

I am getting 60 FPS on max everything, but sometimes it slows for a few seconds when turning around too fast or loading, like all UE3 games do for me.

Tain

There's checkpoints in this game though, lol

I wished it was just manual save/load system

sorry, meant that I appreciate the lack of quicksaves and the inclusion of checkpoints

Refyref said:
Serious Sam and this are different types of games, I don't get why people are comparing them.

I'm fine comparing pretty much any two games, really, but this seems particularly extreme. Like, if not these two, what can you compare?

Is the game not saving percentage complete for levels for anyone else? When i go to load game it shows 0% for all of them. Also it always says update failed when i complete a level

Hmm, game isn't running so hot for me. Even on Medium I am getting like 30 or less FPS, saw people in MP talking about it too. Running a 660Ti so not the best card in the world, but not too bad.

DSmalls84

Hmm, game isn't running so hot for me. Even on Medium I am getting like 30 or less FPS, saw people in MP talking about it too. Running a 660Ti so not the best card in the world, but not too bad.

I have a 660 ti as well but haven't got a chance to try it yet. Are your drivers current? It's a pretty good card so I wasn't really expecting performance issues with this game.

Uiki

Maybe I was playing with you.

Even on low settings and on 1024x768, it runs really bad.

Strangely, I played b2 and bioshock at 60fps and medium-ish settings with no problems.

finley83

Banned
I have the same problem with a 560ti on Medium. I get FPS drops whenever I look around anywhere. Will have to play around with the settings a bit!

e: OK, I get exactly the same frame rate with everything on Low as I do on High. May have to wait for a patch for this one...

I have a 660 ti as well but haven't got a chance to try it yet. Are your drivers current? It's a pretty good card so I wasn't really expecting performance issues with this game.

I think I may be behind like one driver revision, but I am about to update and see if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom