• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So, based on my experience, if you're looking for a 360 MIDI Pro Adapter you should have luck at Best Buy. I'll emphasize a Pro Adapter, though, because they only had the one.

Now I have to figure out how to get my e-drums in front of my TV. I did not think this cunning plan all the way through. >_>

Chris R

Charron said:
So, based on my experience, if you're looking for a 360 MIDI Pro Adapter you should have luck at Best Buy. I'll emphasize a Pro Adapter, though, because they only had the one.

Now I have to figure out how to get my e-drums in front of my TV. I did not think this cunning plan all the way through. >_>
What about PS3? I checked online and everyone is out of stock. Bestbuy showed unavailable at my two local stores.

Hop

rhfb said:
What about PS3? I checked online and everyone is out of stock. Bestbuy showed unavailable at my two local stores.

I didn't spot one, but I wasn't looking for one very intently.

I thought about spoiling myself with one thing this tax return, and I was thinking of the Pro Guitar, since I have a regular guitar (that I cannot play to save my life) already. But the Squier is tempting. Just combine the two.

Hop

They're apparently going to be rolling some giveaways starting March 1st, which is the official Squier release date, so those will probably be given away. I'd say, take a stab at a free one, maybe you won't have to buy it.

robochimp

My Squire guitar is on the way and will arrive tomorrow.

Midi adapter was shipped UPS mail :( so it will probably not arrive tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one

ThatHurt

Just picked mine up.
My pre-order from a month ago got backordered but the closest BB had it in stock,

Very impressed with it so far.
The mad katz midi controller is not in any of the stores here so that shipped out today.

Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

BTW not even a facebook update that this is avalible.
Sad how almost nobody even knew it was coming out.

discohiro

Got mine earlier this morning. It kind of sucks that you have to use the MIDI adapter controls for the 360 version, pretty much requiring you to mount it on the bottom of the guitar. I don't find the adapter getting in the way of playing it. However, there's just so much cabling floating around. I may have to find those twist ties I threw aside and do some cable management.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Best Buy apparently isn't sending strats to any store within 500 miles of me and they're back ordered online. No sale.

jgkspsx

I got my cymbals today! Drumming is incomparably better with them. I may still suck, but I feel a lot more purpose while drumming.

Entered the contest via 2 out of 3 methods. I'll pick up a Squier with my tax refund, most likely.

jgkspsx said:
I got my cymbals today! Drumming is incomparably better with them. I may still suck, but I feel a lot more purpose while drumming.

Entered the contest via 2 out of 3 methods. I'll pick up a Squier with my tax refund, most likely.
Congrats on getting the cymbals. It is a whole new world with them.

Hop

PhoncipleBone said:
Congrats on getting the cymbals. It is a whole new world with them.

Bah. E-drums or bust.

(I now hate blue cymbals meaning open hi-hat. Have to switch all the way across the kit really fast.)

Chris R

chuckddd said:
Best Buy apparently isn't sending strats to any store within 500 miles of me and they're back ordered online. No sale.
Same here... fuuuuuuuuuck :< just got my email.

Sucks so much :( I was hyped for this weekend.

Edit: canceled my backordered preorder. Ugh why even offer it for preorder if you don't have any stock to sell. Just going to wait a few months on the guitar, if I ever get it (massive reward zone coupons would make the new ipad dirt cheap)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just came to say:

Fuck you, Antibodies.

I will never 5 star that piece of shit song on Expert. Omfg. It's the only song I need. :|

Drakken

Was so psyched to buy the Squier today but apparently it's impossible to get. I called the 3 Best Buys near me and none of them are going to be getting any in. Checked store availability on the website and apparently not a single store in New Jersey has them, plus they're backordered online. Awesome. I might have had a chance if I had preordered, but I wanted to wait for impressions (which turned out to be positive) before spending $300.

aristotle

Drakken said:
I might have had a chance if I had preordered, but I wanted to wait for impressions (which turned out to be positive) before spending $300.

False. Even people who pre-ordered didn't get their guitar. Best Buy still sent out shipments to their stores before fulfilling pre-orders. Your best bet is to wait until April to buy from a competent company.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Drakken said:
Was so psyched to buy the Squier today but apparently it's impossible to get. I called the 3 Best Buys near me and none of them are going to be getting any in. Checked store availability on the website and apparently not a single store in New Jersey has them, plus they're backordered online. Awesome. I might have had a chance if I had preordered, but I wanted to wait for impressions (which turned out to be positive) before spending $300.

Could you point me at some good ones?

Drakken

chuckddd said:
Could you point me at some good ones?

I've been reading through the thread over at the RB forums, and most people there (who actually give it a chance instead of giving up after a half hour because it's hard) seem to be impressed. Since it is a real guitar, most people find adjustments have to be made to the pickup to increase responsiveness and/or comfort for the individual user.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
aristotle said:
False. Even people who pre-ordered didn't get their guitar. Best Buy still sent out shipments to their stores before fulfilling pre-orders. Your best bet is to wait until April to buy from a competent company.

Not everyone is getting stiffed - I guess it depends on when you pre-ordered. I did my pre-order on 12/20/2010 and my guitar should be at my house when I get home today.

aristotle

Ark Malmeida said:
Not everyone is getting stiffed - I guess it depends on when you pre-ordered. I did my pre-order on 12/20/2010 and my guitar should be at my house when I get home today.

Wrong again. A lot of people who pre-ordered in January and February have their orders marked as backordered. People who "pre-ordered" it last week have received their guitars already. It's a cockup.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
aristotle said:
Wrong again. A lot of people who pre-ordered in January and February have their orders marked as backordered. People who "pre-ordered" it last week have received their guitars already. It's a cockup.

Seems to be. I'd be pretty annoyed if I ended up in that situation.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Drakken said:
I've been reading through the thread over at the RB forums, and most people there (who actually give it a chance instead of giving up after a half hour because it's hard) seem to be impressed. Since it is a real guitar, most people find adjustments have to be made to the pickup to increase responsiveness and/or comfort for the individual user.

Thanks. If it's someone's first time playing a real guitar, giving up after a half hour due to the grooves in your fingertips is justifiable. As far as adjustments go, that's the price you pay for buying a guitar at an electronics shop instead of a music store.

I had speculated earlier that Squier may only make enough guitars to fulfill preorders. Now it seems that they didn't even make that many. I guess we're all waiting on some sort of press release about "unprecedented demand" before we know if any of us can get one.

Chris R

Where the hell are the midi adapters??? Lucked into a guitar today (website said none in stock but I went anyways) but it seems there are NO midi adapters for the ps3 anywhere. Can't find a place to order online either :( ugh I want to play this now :(

robochimp

I got my guitar last night.

Midi Adapter should be delivered today. Free Bird here I come

I had preordered the guitar through Bestbuy back when they were giving away a 25 dollar gift card

I just ordered the Midi Adapter on Friday from Bestbuy, I didn't realize the guitar was about to be released.

Just picked up Rockband 3. How do you start a second band or can you only have one band per game? I wanted to create a second band for co-op but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

ThatHurt

So I got my midi unit last night.
and then found out that they wired my pickup wrong at the factory. 5th string registers as 6th string and 6th string registers as 5th.

Choice is to tear it down and fix it,
or wait a month for a replacement from BB.

I should record the tear down if only to immortalize the meltdown when I break it beyond repair...

Hop

The Culture Vulture said:
Just picked up Rockband 3. How do you start a second band or can you only have one band per game? I wanted to create a second band for co-op but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

Only one band. You can change the stand-ins and name and logo at any time, but it's only one.

Chris R

ThatHurt said:
So I got my midi unit last night.
and then found out that they wired my pickup wrong at the factory. 5th string registers as 6th string and 6th string registers as 5th.

Choice is to tear it down and fix it,
or wait a month for a replacement from BB.

I should record the tear down if only to immortalize the meltdown when I break it beyond repair...
Where did you get your Midi adapter from? Still looking for one, there are none for sale in Alaska it seems, and none online either. Bestbuy is totally clueless too, telling me to order it online (not possible) and then pick it up in store when it comes in. Instead I guess I get to call them for the next 2+ months waiting for one to show up in stock.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
So wait, the fender does not come with the midi box? You might find the guitar, but it won't work in game without the box?
Yeah, because the midi-box is platform specific but the guitar is not.

Edit: I'm curious - has there been any word on where to get the guitar in Canada?

Chris R

PhoncipleBone said:
So wait, the fender does not come with the midi box? You might find the guitar, but it won't work in game without the box?
Exactly what is happening to me this moment ;( I got it tuned at least, but I want to use it ingame.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's an alright substitute, but not having different string gauges is a pain in the ass if you use that to feel around the guitar.

Minamu

Is the sock mod good for sound isolation? My neighbour on the floor below me (not sure if she lives directly under me or not) told me that someone on my floor has recently gotten a drum set and I'm pretty sure it's my rock band drums (the foot pedal mostly) xD I don't really give a damn about keeping her awake but of course, I don't want to get a call from my land lord xD

I've tried before by putting a sock inbetween the fot pedal and the bottom of it but if you're not careful, it can really dampen your ability to actually use the pedal. And I kinda thought keeping the drums on a relatively thick carpet would suffice...

coamithra

Charron said:
Bah. E-drums or bust.

(I now hate blue cymbals meaning open hi-hat. Have to switch all the way across the kit really fast.)
What´s up with that anyway? I just got a midi adaptor last week and the game recognizes open hi-hat fine in freestyle mode but the songs force me to hit the ride cymbal :(

It´s so close to actual drumming that this little difference is really irking me.

If you e-drum kit has the ability to remap the triggers' MIDI values, you can make it so closed hi-hate = blue cymbal.

My DTXplorer kit, sadly, does not have this ability.

Hop

FlashFlooder said:
If you e-drum kit has the ability to remap the triggers' MIDI values, you can make it so closed hi-hate = blue cymbal.

My DTXplorer kit, sadly, does not have this ability.

You'd want open hat to be blue, but yea, my kit doesn't seem to have that ability either.

Hop

coamithra said:
Mine neither. Seems like such a weird oversight from hmx. I thought it was a bug at first.

Well, on their side, blue cymbal isn't always open hi-hat. I think they're even getting away from that convention, and I know I've debated doing so for a few songs I've authored. But that doesn't really warrant not adding the option.

I guess part of it is reliability, if different kits represent an open hi-hat in too many different ways it might not work right. The game can't tell if a pedal or pad is being held down or when it's released, just when it's been hit. Maybe that's a factor.

jgkspsx

I've mostly been doing instrument training modes lately, now that I have all the pro equipment. For the flaws and annoyances, this is a really awesome, huge piece of software. I hope it has a future.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
For all the complaining I did earlier in the thread about the guitar not being available. Turns out there are some in the stores here, even though the BB website said they weren't. Conundrum reacquired.

Top Bottom